Ikea desk gallery

The stuff's so much cheaper down there than it is in Canada. The legs are $16 for the 4 inch ones. I'm considering building one with the 6 inch legs. Too high? Also, do the legs include the mounting screws?

I think it's all about personal preference.
I personally don't like looking upward towards my monitors and that is why I went for the shortest height possible, the 4".

Also, too high and it might be unstable.

I'm finding Jerkers locally all over craigslist for cheap, however none of them have the "extra shelf" is what they're saying. Does this desk not come with two top shelves like the newer Fredrik by default? How hard would be it to find the extra shelf, has anyone been able to do so?

I'm finding Jerkers locally all over craigslist for cheap, however none of them have the "extra shelf" is what they're saying. Does this desk not come with two top shelves like the newer Fredrik by default? How hard would be it to find the extra shelf, has anyone been able to do so?

When I bought mine in 1995 it came with the desk top and the monitor shelf. I immediately bought the 2nd shelf. I then picked up another one and 3 side shelves. It's 6 feet tall now. I haven't posted it because I procrastinate too much.:D

I recently added a second rounded end piece for more elbow room. I also upgraded to an IKEA chair.

desk.jpg

vs the old

100_1454.jpg

Herl, what model chair is it? I'd like to give it a shot when I go buy the stuff to build one of those shelves.
Thanks!

I had to go back to a standard desk. I am in a temporary apartment and it was too much hassle moving around furniture. My poor Fredrik is in storage collecting dust :(

I had to go back to a standard desk. I am in a temporary apartment and it was too much hassle moving around furniture. My poor Fredrik is in storage collecting dust :(

Man, you have our heart felt condolences. It should be a crime to put you thru that.

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo352/tylerfukuda/DESK.png[IMG]
new desk! its a lot better than my old corner desk that took up half my room
funny thing about this desk is that Ive been looking for a much simpler one for a while
so i was on my way to the beach and there was a garage sale in an alley so i went to
check it out and i found this desk for only 20 bucks! The desk is in very good condiissh!
I'm very happy with it.

@Herl
How are those SWAN speakers? i looked into those, are they any good?
they connected thru anything?

fkw2m0.png

new desk! its a lot better than my old corner desk that took up half my room
funny thing about this desk is that Ive been looking for a much simpler one for a while
so i was on my way to the beach and there was a garage sale in an alley so i went to
check it out and i found this desk for only 20 bucks! The desk is in very good condiissh!
I'm very happy with it.

@Herl

does anyone know if I purchase the Ikea Vika Amon tabletops and Vika Curry legs would I be able to buy a pull out keyboard tray mount from Ikea that would attach to the table?

@Herl

I really enjoy them, nice and clear with a good range. They plug right into my sound card, no need for an intermediary.

Here is my office, as I work out of the home.

The only thing I have left that I want to do is get a door for left portion of the tall cabinet. Ikea sells a double-door for one pane. Oh yeah, I also need to fix my cable management.

So you work from home, what do you do?

Hmmm ok thanks guys! I will copy that setup.. hope its okay :D

Sorry I missed your comment the first time.

Yeah they're absolutely right, it's a Lack shelf with Capita legs. I strongly recommend the 4 inch legs. I started with a set of 6 inchers and they were just too high for me.

You can see the original set up here way back on the first page of the thread.

100_0107.jpg

Sorry I missed your comment the first time.

Yeah they're absolutely right, it's a Lack shelf with Capita legs. I strongly recommend the 4 inch legs. I started with a set of 6 inchers and they were just too high for me.

You can see the original set up here way back on the first page of the thread.

100_0107.jpg
Thank you sir! Will def do that! Can't hurt to have extra shelving :D

I have the 4 inch legs and they're perfect for having an xbox or cable box under :)
I was about to ask that question.. but you answered it.. wanted to do the lack shelf with legs to put a PS3 and 360 under the monitor :D

I don't see any of the Galant series desks on the Ikea website anymore.

Any idea if these have been discontinued? I was planning on purchasing one for my new office. :confused:

Yeah, I was planning on extending mine (which I still need to still post a picture of) and it's not there yet when I was at the store last week, they still had them on display.

I don't see any of the Galant series desks on the Ikea website anymore.

Any idea if these have been discontinued? I was planning on purchasing one for my new office. :confused:

Yeah, I was planning on extending mine (which I still need to still post a picture of) and it's not there yet when I was at the store last week, they still had them on display.

If you have a store near you you should check their inventory. It's not uncommon for them to carry discontinued items. Just last year we purchased 4 kitchen cabinets from IKEA at a deeply discounted price because they were discontinued.

If you have a store near you you should check their inventory. It's not uncommon for them to carry discontinued items. Just last year we purchased 4 kitchen cabinets from IKEA at a deeply discounted price because they were discontinued.

Just in case they are being discontinued, I made a trip to Ikea today to get some extensions. They had about half a pallet of both of the items I wanted, and plenty of stock of everything else Galant.

I currently have the right corner desk and one extension, but I'd eventually like to have the corner desk, two extensions, and both circular end caps once I have the space. I picked up three frame pieces to accommodate this ($70), but decided against paying the $80 for the three pieces of particle board. I'll eventually either make a custom top for this robust frame, or make my own extensions (Ikea sells their black-brown stain, should I want to match my existing tabletop).

I also picked up another Signum. I love this desk frame, and am glad I'll be able to make any configuration in the future; I'll just have to make my own desktop.

That said, Ikeafans is saying that this is just an issue with Ikea's website as they transition to the new year's catalog, and that the Galant series isn't being discontinued. Still, better safe than sorry - this desk was a long-term investment for me. :p

Last edited:
We'll see, Taikero. I gotta still build myself one of those shelves and get a signum.

Last edited:
I highly doubt that they're discontinuing the Galant line - it's one of their stable items and best selling desk systems. They update the line periodically but I don't think they'd just flat out stop selling it.

They did with the Jerker. It's a shame, really. I love mine!

Yeah, I'd really hate it for my Jerker desk to die. It's still the most awesome desk I have ever had the pleasure of owning :)

Hi Taikero,

You wouldn't happen to have a product number for that black-brown stain you mentioned would you? I had to match a black-brown Ikea desktop this year and it would have been a heck of a lot easier to have been able to buy their stain in the right color "off the shelf" rather than trying to mix my own. Thanks.

Just in case they are being discontinued, I made a trip to Ikea today to get some extensions. They had about half a pallet of both of the items I wanted, and plenty of stock of everything else Galant.

I currently have the right corner desk and one extension, but I'd eventually like to have the corner desk, two extensions, and both circular end caps once I have the space. I picked up three frame pieces to accommodate this ($70), but decided against paying the $80 for the three pieces of particle board. I'll eventually either make a custom top for this robust frame, or make my own extensions (Ikea sells their black-brown stain, should I want to match my existing tabletop).

I also picked up another Signum. I love this desk frame, and am glad I'll be able to make any configuration in the future; I'll just have to make my own desktop.

That said, Ikeafans is saying that this is just an issue with Ikea's website as they transition to the new year's catalog, and that the Galant series isn't being discontinued. Still, better safe than sorry - this desk was a long-term investment for me. :p

I've clicked through more of this thread than I care to admit but still need help. I have two Galant L desks and need keyboard trays for each of them. I found the recomendation for the Humanscale trays from ErgoDirect but $300 is a little more than I wanted to spend.

Thanks guys, lots of GREAT pics in this thread!

Back