Ikea desk gallery

i finally when to ikea and saw the new Fredde desk and man it was big, the picture made it look small but that desk is hella big
You find it big, that will not hold my 46' like my Jerker Desk, Fredde Desk is not bad but I do think the price is a bit to high for me.

I'm getting the curved galant desk. I'm planning on doing the wider side 142 inches and the thinner side 90 inches.

My questions are:
1. Are 3 T-Legs enough to hold it up as long as I don't put heavy stuff on it?
2. Should I bring the long side all the way to the wall there, or cut it shorter?

The desk is gonna be $500...

I've looked on craigslist for like 3 weeks and no galants ever go on there.

The red area is where desk will be:

ayKv9EX.png

well... ikea won't ship a galant to alaska. anything else similar i can try out? i'm having a real hard time finding any desk i like other than the galant.

well... ikea won't ship a galant to alaska. anything else similar i can try out? i'm having a real hard time finding any desk i like other than the galant.

find someone near a ikea pay them to buy it and ship it to you.. if I lived near one id help you out my cold buddy

I'm getting the curved galant desk. I'm planning on doing the wider side 142 inches and the thinner side 90 inches.

My questions are:
2. Should I bring the long side all the way to the wall there, or cut it shorter?

ayKv9EX.png
Ok' I see the floor print & I looks like a great spot, Now its really up to you stretching out the table...

1 - T-Legs you should have no problems like you said : I don't put heavy stuff on it.
2 - Do you need to take up all that space? > maybe cut off half way an option for a shelving unit.

I personally purchased The Galant Corner Desk awhile back & was very disappointed with the cheap build especially the cost! I took it apart & sold it on Craigslist & went back to my well build Jerker Desk,
I don't like the way the leg extending system locks, its one piece of the leg screw forcing into the other aluminum hollow leg so its a good thing your not adding real heavy stuff to it, if you still getting it don't
get the Black Brown when it comes to cleaning the surface with a damped rag or any cleaning tools you will see the rag inked in Black Brown so avoid that color, talking from experience Corner $500.00 its not worth
any Ikea Desk unless it has a built in fridge for my beerz, :D to me there are way better strong build setups for that price Ikea Jerker Desk are the best Ikea ever made & they were not worth more than $200.00.
Good Luck.:cool:

Last edited:

My questions are:

I've looked on craigslist for like 3 weeks and no galants ever go on there.

http://i.imgur.com/ayKv9EX.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Is that a dedicated office space? and are you the only one in the household or do you have a significant other sharing this space? I've personally seen two galant corner desks side by side against the wall. If I had that kind of space to dedicate for an office space I would go that route.

You can as long as the dimensions are the same size between the long piece and the side of the desk you want to add the extension to.

I'm sorry but I believe you're wrong. I just tried it and there's no way to connect the 2 frames to each other. How do I do that?

I'm trying to build this similar one below, but just the top side (The corner desk with the 63x31.5 extension on top)

Galant%2BDesk%2BHack%2BDiagram-756580.JPG

(Instructions how he did it: http://www.ikeahackers.net/2011/08/galant-megadesk.html )

find someone near a ikea pay them to buy it and ship it to you.. if I lived near one id help you out my cold buddy

yeah, i have a friend near by... looked into it and it comes in 10 boxes. i just went down to office max and picked something else up for now.

Can I show mine?

(16.04.13) JONSBO V4S fits in IKEA MICKE desk.

I just made a budget build for my sister. The case is JONSBO V4S, a Chinese-made aluminum case that I'm a distributor in Thailand area. This MATX rig can be located in the small place of Micke desk with shelves inside the pane. The only cons is USB and audio ports will be blocked and unable to use unless removing the micke's pane and pull the case closer.

Luckily, modular PSU makes this rig less messier than former rigs. LOL.

Enjoy. :)

AMD Athlon II X4 620
PCCooler E80
ASUS M4N68T-M
DDR3-1333 Kingston 2GBx2
NVIDIA GeForce 7050 Integrated
HDD Hitachi 3.5" 320GB 7.2Krpm
PSU AeroCool E85-M 550W

c_mg_9083.jpg

d_mg_9084.jpg

a_mg_9085.jpg

m_mg_9086.jpg

a_mg_9096.jpg

e_mg_9098.jpg

l_mg_9100.jpg

p_mg_9101.jpg

k_mg_9102.jpg

0_mg_9103.jpg

g_mg_9105.jpg

u_mg_9106.jpg

b_mg_9107.jpg

0_mg_9108.jpg

9_mg_9110.jpg

a_mg_9111.jpg

c_mg_9112.jpg
:)

Last edited:
The Fredde has got to be pretty massive. The description says ~73"x29" (that's right, inches-- it's 6 feet long) vs ~50x29 of the Jerker and ~55x29 Fredrik

(link).

The wings can be attached inside or out, but doesn't look like there's any articulation like on the Jerker. The main desk area also doesn't look like it can be raised up to standing position. Sadly, I don't think this will stack up to the Jerker, but I'm still excited to see what kind of reception it receives. Personally, it looks like an upgrade over the Fredrik, but only time will tell.

EDIT: Oh wow. I just looked at the assembly instructions and it's not modular at all. The main desk area and two shelves are entirely static-- there's only one placement for each (though you can remove them entirely). Only the wings can be moved up/down/in/out. Very disappointing at least for me since it doesn't have any options/accessories/extensions. It's pretty much just a basic desk with cup holders. The cutout got me excited since it looked like it was going to part of the modular Ikea line... I bet someone here could design something better (ie Jerker clone :p)

Last edited:
my galant surface was wobbly from one side as one screw was a bit loose so i tightened it with a driver but now im afraid i mightve overtightened it, is that a possibility with these desks? how do i know? i usually just keep rotating until it becomes very hard to do so but i dont force it obviously. not sure how fragile the screw holes are with these desks, but should i have tightened it same way i tighten motherboards, in other words very lightly?

Last edited:
Can I show mine?

(16.04.13) JONSBO V4S fits in IKEA MICKE desk.

I just made a budget build for my sister. The case is JONSBO V4S, a Chinese-made aluminum case that I'm a distributor in Thailand area. This MATX rig can be located in the small place of Micke desk with shelves inside the pane. The only cons is USB and audio ports will be blocked and unable to use unless removing the micke's pane and pull the case closer.

Luckily, modular PSU makes this rig less messier than former rigs. LOL.

Enjoy. :)

AMD Athlon II X4 620
PCCooler E80
ASUS M4N68T-M
DDR3-1333 Kingston 2GBx2
NVIDIA GeForce 7050 Integrated
HDD Hitachi 3.5" 320GB 7.2Krpm
PSU AeroCool E85-M 550W

c_mg_9083.jpg

d_mg_9084.jpg

a_mg_9085.jpg

m_mg_9086.jpg

a_mg_9096.jpg

e_mg_9098.jpg

l_mg_9100.jpg

p_mg_9101.jpg

k_mg_9102.jpg

0_mg_9103.jpg

g_mg_9105.jpg

u_mg_9106.jpg

b_mg_9107.jpg

0_mg_9108.jpg

9_mg_9110.jpg

a_mg_9111.jpg

c_mg_9112.jpg
:)

This is a very clean setup. I love the small form factor of the computer.

This thread made me want to go out and get a Galant, so I should probably contribute my own pics:

uWfcHzV.jpg

VQv4M0G.jpg

09JHpHn.jpg

Nv2nGHj.jpg

WsZeTUB.jpg

KU73F0f.jpg

Desk: Galant
Cabinets: Besta
Filing Cabinet: Galant
Table: Lack
Chair: Poang

All in black-brown.

my galant surface was wobbly from one side as one screw was a bit loose so i tightened it with a driver but now im afraid i mightve overtightened it, is that a possibility with these desks? how do i know? i usually just keep rotating until it becomes very hard to do so but i dont force it obviously. not sure how fragile the screw holes are with these desks, but should i have tightened it same way i tighten motherboards, in other words very lightly?
Like I said before I had it & got rid of it once I noticed the weak quality build & the Black/Brown that comes off when you wipe it down with a damped cleaning rag, its not the best Ikea desk
& yes if you don't have against a wall it will wobble after awhile, the 3rd leg keeps some what sturdy but its a weak desk!
most people that buy these desk don't use them on the extreme level where you're constantly gaming busy moving around receiving food & drinks moving things around kids or visitors banging into desk by mistake,
this ain't the desk for ya its more for careful or less use, its great for light office work or to just be there & look pretty for pictures:D again that's my experience with owning one, went back with Jerker!
here's a site I got from someone some not Ikea, but nice quality build setup > http://www.versatables.com/hmv2/

Like I said before I had it & got rid of it once I noticed the weak quality build & the Black/Brown that comes off when you wipe it down with a damped cleaning rag, its not the best Ikea desk
& yes if you don't have against a wall it will wobble after awhile, the 3rd leg keeps some what sturdy but its a weak desk!
most people that buy these desk don't use them on the extreme level where you're constantly gaming busy moving around receiving food & drinks moving things around kids or visitors banging into desk by mistake,
this ain't the desk for ya its more for careful or less use, its great for light office work or to just be there & look pretty for pictures:D again that's my experience with owning one, went back with Jerker!
here's a site I got from someone some not Ikea, but nice quality build setup > http://www.versatables.com/hmv2/

I previously owned 2 jerkers, they are pretty much the same in regards to stability compared to the Galant. Ive stood on mine a couple times to change lightbulbs and what not

this is my first ikea desk and first non wood one, but the problem isnt stability its that a screw i thought i screwed in pretty well months ago came loose. i think the screws arent reliable or dependable if you plan to move this desk a lot. before i screwed it in upside down, but now i did it when its standing upright.

This thread made me want to go out and get a Galant, so I should probably contribute my own pics:

WsZeTUB.jpg

Are those Dalhquist DQ-10s?
I really like the Emotiva gear too.

Back on topic, I like the desk setup with the shelves and other matching furniture.

The Fredde has got to be pretty massive. The description says ~73"x29" (that's right, inches-- it's 6 feet long) vs ~50x29 of the Jerker and ~55x29 Fredrik

(link).

The wings can be attached inside or out, but doesn't look like there's any articulation like on the Jerker. The main desk area also doesn't look like it can be raised up to standing position. Sadly, I don't think this will stack up to the Jerker, but I'm still excited to see what kind of reception it receives. Personally, it looks like an upgrade over the Fredrik, but only time will tell.

EDIT: Oh wow. I just looked at the assembly instructions and it's not modular at all. The main desk area and two shelves are entirely static-- there's only one placement for each (though you can remove them entirely). Only the wings can be moved up/down/in/out. Very disappointing at least for me since it doesn't have any options/accessories/extensions. It's pretty much just a basic desk with cup holders. The cutout got me excited since it looked like it was going to part of the modular Ikea line... I bet someone here could design something better (ie Jerker clone :p)

I don't think you're right. Steps 27-33 (pp.21-27) show a location for the two shelves. However, I've seen this in the store with shelves in different positions than in the above photos, and the instructions seem pretty clear that you could slot the shelves into any of the spaces.

The desk surface itself and the two undertrays are static, though.

Note: The 73" width is only if both 9" shelves are mounted to the outside. If both are mounted inside, the desk is 53.5" wide (measured at store).

Are those Dalhquist DQ-10s?
I really like the Emotiva gear too.

Back on topic, I like the desk setup with the shelves and other matching furniture.

Yep, sure are. Picked them up from a local home theater shop several years ago for only $300. Had the woofers rebuilt by Regnar last year. They sound great, though the room is a little small and they could probably use a bit more power than the UPA-2 can give.

I previously owned 2 jerkers, they are pretty much the same in regards to stability compared to the Galant. Ive stood on mine a couple times to change lightbulbs and what not
"Pretty much the same with stability" You comparing The Jerker to the Galant is way off especially with the weak leg locking design on the Galant,
yeah carefully standing on the frame section barely moving I can see that I dare anyone heavy 6' 210lbs to stand on the front section of the desk moving back
& forth left & right your going to start hearing :eek: crackling noise, I do that with ease on my Jerker!

comparing Galant to the Jerker? Sorry no way you can convince me its pretty much the same, we can go on about this & I can point the
exact area of the weak frame design, you owning a Jerker should know that :rolleyes: Jerkers takes a beating & still it stands solid as it has no moving parts or weak small screws,
I previously owned [6] Jerker & now have [2] one I use the other as shelving unit, I will never again trade or sell one of my Jerker to get a Galant what was I thinking :confused: not worth $300-$500!
Again we can continue until it falls on deaf ears, @ the end the person that's asking the question & our opinion about the desk 99.99% has made His or Her choice already :cool:

Wow, the amount of sperging about desks.

They fulfill different use cases, the Jerker simply isn't big enough for my use, and the Galant is strong enough.

Can you even get new Jerker desks anymore?

Wow, the amount of sperging about desks.

They fulfill different use cases, the Jerker simply isn't big enough for my use, and the Galant is strong enough.

Can you even get new Jerker desks anymore?
its dead, next:cool:

"Pretty much the same with stability" You comparing The Jerker to the Galant is way off especially with the weak leg locking design on the Galant,
yeah carefully standing on the frame section barely moving I can see that I dare anyone heavy 6' 210lbs to stand on the front section of the desk moving back
& forth left & right your going to start hearing :eek: crackling noise, I do that with ease on my Jerker!

comparing Galant to the Jerker? Sorry no way you can convince me its pretty much the same, we can go on about this & I can point the
exact area of the weak frame design, you owning a Jerker should know that :rolleyes: Jerkers takes a beating & still it stands solid as it has no moving parts or weak small screws,
I previously owned [6] Jerker & now have [2] one I use the other as shelving unit, I will never again trade or sell one of my Jerker to get a Galant what was I thinking :confused: not worth $300-$500!
Again we can continue until it falls on deaf ears, @ the end the person that's asking the question & our opinion about the desk 99.99% has made His or Her choice already :cool:

You could have mine then, If you look hard enough you could even find a post by me giving away my old jerker desk (which no one wanted btw;) I think I owned a Jerker long enough to know the pros and cons of having one

What is the height clearance on those white holder/legs, seems like there is very little clearance to get your legs under the block comfortably without hitting your knees/thighs on the block each time you sit down or stand.

the table legs are 27 inches high and i havent had any issues with the height at all.

its probably the picture making it look short maybe cause its at a terrible angle

You could have mine then, If you look hard enough you could even find a post by me giving away my old jerker desk (which no one wanted btw;) I think I owned a Jerker long enough to know the pros and cons of having one
So kind of you;) but I don't need more like I mention before I bought 6 between $40 - $80 > sold 3 each $200.00 - $250.00 > gave 1 away to my cuz & stood with 2 :D
This one since 2002-2003 beech veneer I recently gave it to my cuz had a bunch of shit on it :D Yes I'm an Artist thats why you see all them figures.

It depends where you live, NYC is always on a Hustle :cool: if it wasn't for the Wife! with the space :eek: I probably would have like 12 Jerkers! :D > Long Live The Jerkers!

I would love to get my hands on another Jerker. Shipping would be a bitch though. I might have to take a look at the new Fred desk though.

photo1-3_zps4aba4124.jpg

Its a FREDDE I went back took more Pix of desk for ya to see :D, Its not a bad desk compare to other expensive ones, this one seems a bit on the compact for me I have a 46' LED :D thats a major problem for me! I stay with my Jerker!

Damn, I would've bought it if they didn't put that stupid indent where your keyboard is supposed to be.

I got an iKea Galant desk, any time i lean on the left side it makes a noise (metal hitting metal), I've already took it a part and tightened everything up, at first it didn't do it and now it is???, anyone else have this problem?

Last edited:
I got an iKea Galant desk, any time i lean on the left side it makes a noise (metal hitting metal), I've already took it a part and tightened everything up, at first it didn't do it and now it is???, anyone else have this problem?

no problems here with 2 63" galant desks. which combination of desks do you have? do you have t-legs or a-legs? maybe the large allen bolt that attaches the leg to the desk frame is loose? did you tighten that?

no problems here with 2 63" galant desks. which combination of desks do you have? do you have t-legs or a-legs? maybe the large allen bolt that attaches the leg to the desk frame is loose? did you tighten that?

I thought it was tightening at first, dismantled everything, tightened everything super tight, but still happened couple days later, I then switched over the legs because it may be those, however it still happens on left side.

Basically it must be the frame causing the noise.

Should I put some paper where the noise is to see if that fixes the problem?

Back