If you bought a 7970, prepare to reinstall your OS if you messed with beta drivers

l88bastard

2[H]4U
Basically, if you messed around with the 6000 series 8.92-8.94 beta drivers, I would highly recommend you do a fresh windows install for your 7970 card. Several of my friends and I have had to completely reinstall windows in order to get proper performance / stability from the 7000 series.

Oh and these 7970s ARE FUCKING AWESOME!

Here is some GPU pron:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/l88bastard/GPUOrgy3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/l88bastard/GPUOrgy1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/l88bastard/GPUOrgy2.jpg

EDIT:
Let me clarify. If you install the drivers and do not get the green light, your probably gonna have to wipe your windows installation. I got the yellow light on every driver installation attempt and I go hell bent when I install drivers....regedit, driversweeper, atiman, etc, etc. If your gettin a yellow light after driver installation your gonna have problems down the line.

Last edited:
I did not have to do a fresh install or anything near that drastic. It was a pain. I did end up having to use the drivers on the disk as opposed to the ones AMD just put up on their site specifically for the 79xx cards and uninstall my CAP's.

Hmm, I really hope that's not the case - a fresh install? I was having problems with my last drivers and did a driver sweep and that fixed things up. Hopefully, that's enough to prevent me from having to do a fresh install.

I've been playing battlefield 3 for hours without a hitch. I don't know what you guys are complaining about with drivers and such.

I just used driver sweeper and no issues here between my 6970 and 7970, sitting at 1170/1650 @ stock clocks here.

lol you don't need to reinstall windows. just use driver sweeper in safemode, delete the 12.1 beta drivers and caps. reboot into normal windows and install the new drivers.

lol you don't need to reinstall windows. just use driver sweeper in safemode, delete the 12.1 beta drivers and caps. reboot into normal windows and install the new drivers.

Ok, good to know. I haven't gotten my 7970's yet, but this is a big sigh of relief. :D

So the drivers off of AMD's site are the ones to go with? Or the ones on the disc that came with the 7970s?

CatalystCreator tweeted earlier in the day to use the ones that were uploaded to AMD's site, so I would assume that's probably the best one to use.

CatalystCreator tweeted earlier in the day to use the ones that were uploaded to AMD's site, so I would assume that's probably the best one to use.

I tried installing the ones off the website no less than 3 times.

Uninstall using AMD uninstaller...
Drivercleaner...
reboot...
install...
reboot...
black screen.

Use the ones off the disk. The 11.12.1 off the disk seem to work fine although they do differ from the ones Brent used in his review.

11.12.1 = 8.921.0.0
Brent = 8.921.2.0

Hopefully we'll get a numbered release and new CAP's soon.

yuppers....it doesnt muck up the desktop res like driversweeper does

its allot more comprehensive than driver sweeper, and unlike ds, it doesnt accidentially break other things..

and it doesnt delete the install packages, which drives me crazy with DS because i forget to redownload them...

yuppers....it doesnt muck up the desktop res like driversweeper does

its allot more comprehensive than driver sweeper, and unlike ds, it doesnt accidentially break other things..

and it doesnt delete the install packages, which drives me crazy with DS because i forget to redownload them...

I'd give it a go but the dang software tells me I do not have enough rights to install. I have administrator privileges... wtf?

I'd give it a go but the dang software tells me I do not have enough rights to install. I have administrator privileges... wtf?

Try Right-Click -> Run as Admin on the installer file. Sometimes WinVista/7 is gay like that.

EDIT: Just barely B10. :(

stick it on your desktop and run it, thats sometimes avoids those issues.

could be a folder permissioning issue.

or your av is blocking it because it hasn't had a chance to scan it yet.

stick it on your desktop and run it, thats sometimes avoids those issues.

could be a folder permissioning issue.

or your av is blocking it because it hasn't had a chance to scan it yet.

Desktop not workey and AV is fine with it... odd. :confused:

MSIs don't have the option to run as Administrator (as it's run as TrustedInstaller usually).

I tried installing the ones off the website no less than 3 times.

Uninstall using AMD uninstaller...
Drivercleaner...
reboot...
install...
reboot...
black screen.

Use the ones off the disk. The 11.12.1 off the disk seem to work fine although they do differ from the ones Brent used in his review.

11.12.1 = 8.921.0.0
Brent = 8.921.2.0

Hopefully we'll get a numbered release and new CAP's soon.

I've just spent the last two hours doing the same thing. I have two 7970s and both work fine by themselves, both work when together but crossfire not enabled. Right when I enable crossfire, I get black screen with blinking cursor. Have to shut down and when it goes back into windows, crossfire is disabled.
Installed the drivers from the Sapphire disc, and all is working good and crossfire was enabled by default.
So what the heck, I get to look forward to not being able to use any updated drivers??? :(

I've just spent the last two hours doing the same thing. I have two 7970s and both work fine by themselves, both work when together but crossfire not enabled. Right when I enable crossfire, I get black screen with blinking cursor. Have to shut down and when it goes back into windows, crossfire is disabled.
Installed the drivers from the Sapphire disc, and all is working good and crossfire was enabled by default.
So what the heck, I get to look forward to not being able to use any updated drivers??? :(

Prolly just have to wait for the next release. I agree it is d*ck that you cannot use their DL drivers. I was more than a little annoyed myself. The 11.12.1 on the CD seem to work just fine so I'm ok with it.

ummm...lots of people have had no problems with the new AMD post, there is clearly something else going on...

if you can, try the atiman uninstaller...

I had the same problem when I tried to install atiman. It said that I didn't have administrative privileges or something. To get it to work, you have to enable the built-in administrator account in Windows 7. Once I did that, I was able to install atiman without any problems.

Edit: Hmm, just tried running atiman, and it does mess up my desktop resolution. Oh well, no biggie. Once I install my drivers, my desktop resolution is fine again.

Last edited:
Lol at reinstall OS at the worst you can run sysprep and it will prepare windows for install on new hardware....

1 force windows to use VGA driver
2.power down
3. remove old and install new card
4. power up

btw right clicking on AMD installer and choosing run as admin should work

I clean install new builds myself, as it avoids unnecessary long term hassle with ghosts in the machine. Make sure all your data is stored on seconday storage drives, put W7 on USB drive, along with all the recent drivers you are going to install, and do fresh install I say.

You only have 1 crossfire bridge installed right? If you have 2 installed, try it with one. If you only have 1 installed, try a different one- could be you have a problem with it.

You only have 1 crossfire bridge installed right? If you have 2 installed, try it with one. If you only have 1 installed, try a different one- could be you have a problem with it.

Yep, just one. I did have a second one and tried both. :( I'd rather not do a clean install of windows if I didn't have to, but will if that would be a sure resolve. Worried that if I went thru all that troulbe, it would end up being the same results.

Any have these issues, then did a clean install and then the newer drives worked fine?

Back