If PC Gaming Isn't Dead, why are game makers Favoring Consoles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Manufacturers make more cars than motorcycles. Doesn't mean motorcycling is dead.

Consoles stink. Imagine Skyrim was built for the PC.

Manufacturers make more cars than motorcycles. Doesn't mean motorcycling is dead.

I couldn't agree more whole heartedly. But that topic wasn't why this thread was started.

I personally think it to be a very serious comment, when UbiSoft makes a statement that they do not think the PC version of one of there New releases will be worth it, Microsoft doesn't release a new title for PC in 2011 or Microsoft has to re-assure the world that it's not "pulling out" of the PC gaming market

Anyone else in here notice yet, that only one person (MaZa) gave a reply that used the word "fun" in a positive way?

Last edited:
We are all aware of the rather bleak state of PC gaming when compared to the console scene at the moment...just most of us choose not to dwell on it too much.

I personally think it to be a very serious comment, when UbiSoft makes a statement that they do not think the PC version of one of there New releases will be worth it, Microsoft doesn't release a new title for PC in 2011 or Microsoft has to re-assure the world that it's not "pulling out" of the PC gaming market

Again MS has released, and will plan to release, both PC only games and multiplatform games on the PC in 2011.

Ubisoft's largest multiplatform titles are still being or planning to be released on the PC. Ubisoft actually owns/publishes multiple PC only franchises, and more so than someone like Valve, whom you would not consider as a company planning on leaving the PC market. Ubisoft is also releasing a version of Ghost Recon for the PC and Wii U (not PS3, 360).

But sensationalist pieces and "sound bites" draw views, so who needs this kind of boring information.

Again MS has released, and will plan to release, both PC only games and multiplatform games on the PC in 2011.

Ubisoft's largest multiplatform titles are still being or planning to be released on the PC. Ubisoft actually owns/publishes multiple PC only franchises, and more so than someone like Valve, whom you would not consider as a company planning on leaving the PC market. Ubisoft is also releasing a version of Ghost Recon for the PC and Wii U (not PS3, 360).

But sensationalist pieces and "sound bites" draw views, so who needs this kind of boring information.

...Except one of those large multiplatform titles was coming to the PC and as of last week is no longer. Based on this, it's now possible (maybe even probable) that future "Tom Clancy's" titles won't see PC release. It's probably too late for Ubisoft to cancel Assassin's Creed Revelations, but I would wager that the game would have been pulled too if possible, since Assassin's Creed is the company's flagship franchise now.

Ubisoft only releases games on the Wii to fund development for PS3/360 titles (something it admitted to), which is why there is so much Ubi-published shovelware on that platform. I'd imagine the Wii-U will meet the same fate when the next XBox and PS come out and become mainstream.

Last edited:
We are all aware of the rather bleak state of PC gaming when compared to the console scene at the moment...just most of us choose not to dwell on it too much.

As someone who solely plays PC games I don't even see it as bleak. Yeah consoles come out with more games but come on most console games are rubbish fed to kids who will play anything as long as they can be racist and shoot cops.

Maybe I dont enough time on my hands but there's no way in hell I could finish all the games released on steam in 2011 in a year. let alone everything that actually comes out on PC.

Folks, if you cannot contribute to this discussion in a civil and relevant manner then do not post in this thread.

Thank you!

Because the PC is just one platform, and it makes the most sense to hit as many people as possible.

The key to make money is not to make a perfect game for one platform, it's to make a good enough game for many. While current AAA PC releases may have their faults, they are apparently good enough to sell nearly as well as if they were perfect PC only titles, only they get revenue from the other platforms as well.

The problem is that people tend to think that being for-profit and being creative are mutually exclusive. They are not.

I think the problem is more that companies are forgetting this. A company that only tries to maximize profit is just as likely to fail as a company that only cares about creating the best product possible.

Perhaps these publishers are forgetting the console crash of the 80's and that it was caused by the market being flooded with sub par games, many of which were blatant cash grabs(sound familiar?). In the past large publishers and developers have gone under or became a shadow of their former selves when they lost sight of what their customers wanted(where's sierra these days?) but as long as there is a market it just creates an opportunity for another company to step in and fill the void.

This is why I get tired of these "PC gaming is dying" comments, death is so final and I see this as more of a stagnation of the entire industry. PC gamers got fed up quicker because of consolitis but console gamers are starting to get fed up as well, marketing and hype have been used to sell crappy games but this is a short term solution as people tend to be more cautious after getting burned. I don't think we'll see as big of a crash as we did in the 80's but many of the larger publishers/devs will likely fail if they don't change the way they do business.

Isn't it more profitable to actually sell a game on multi platform?

And I'm sure some companies do receive incentive to keep their games on a specific console by Microsoft and Sony.

In a hypothetical situation where neither of the Console companies do anything to influence the gaming company to keep their title exclusive to a platform, we would see significantly more games being multi platform including PC.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/092/092316p1.html

Circa 2001. Shut the fuck up about PC gaming dying already.

lol its been talked about since the dawn of consoles. Lately though its been a lot slower. Games haven't been coming out frequently like they use to. The games coming out now suck compared to their predecessors. Its like they all think about graphics and wait until the very end to deal with the game play. It just makes no sense why games before were more in-depth and were better than they are now. Someone is skimping a lot or they are doing it on purpose. Its like the game play is last minute work and the graphics is the their main focus. Might as well watch a tech demo since some games coming out now are that crappy.

I do play newer games but its just not the same anymore. The focus on game play is gone. Games are all buggy now to death unplayable almost for months on end. Games worked before day one. After awhile you had to download a patch first day. Now the games are just unplayable betas at launch.

Last edited:
Why people makes threads like that ? We are all gamers, it doesn't depend if console or PC, so why must we fight ?

i guess that most people missed this but:
http://pc.ign.com/articles/121/1213362p1.html

Pretty much the "I am Alive" lead developer is trying to pass it up as a miscomunication and saying that he would actually love to port the game.

I guess that the backlash was big enough to shame them and show them that pc gaming is pretty much alive and kicking.

when posted, the intent of this thread was to try to have a discussion about the future of PC games vs Consoles, not to debate which is better. I do not own a Console nor do I care too. My concern is developer support for PC games (whether imported from Console or not)

Last edited:
If they used Gamebryo I don't think it would matter. The engine blows regardless of platform.

This. They may have taken the turd, polished it and called it the "Creation Engine," but at its very foundation, its still the Gamebryo engine.

Its saving grace is it's very moddable as seen by the plethora of mods available for Skyrim in the two weeks since its release.

So many people think they have some super-unique angle when they start threads like these, then get offended when people come in and trash their highly unoriginal thread. I liked when we had a sticky warning people about starting them.

Every goes the same way:

1. OP asserts PC gaming is dying/dead because Gears of Duty Solid 4 isn't coming out on PC or some publisher said they aren't going to make PC games anymore.
  2. PC gamers point out that more PC games have come out than ever, and that PC gaming isn't going away any more than when people claimed it was dying 15 years ago
It seemed like last spring/summer we had two or three of these threads a week.

So many people think they have some super-unique angle when they start threads like these, then get offended when people come in and trash their highly unoriginal thread. I liked when we had a sticky warning people about starting them.

Every goes the same way:

1. OP asserts PC gaming is dying/dead because Gears of Duty Solid 4 isn't coming out on PC or some publisher said they aren't going to make PC games anymore.
  2. PC gamers point out that more PC games have come out than ever, and that PC gaming isn't going away any more than when people claimed it was dying 15 years ago
It seemed like last spring/summer we had two or three of these threads a week.

Actually that was 5 minutes ago, 5 minutes from now, and 5 years from now. PC gaming seems to be dying a lot. I swear for every one of these threads that pop up I'm gonna start a new thread regarding whatever new PC game has come out this week.

During this 4 day extended weekend I am enjoying, I decided to pay $28 for the Crysis 2 digital DL version and though I haven't finished the game as of this writing, I can say I am enjoying it quite a bit. Though I can't fly in a hover ship nor drive from the driver's seat of the armoured car, I am finding the game, well, rather entertaining. Jumoing around has been very much improved, and now he grabs hold of ledges and pulls himself up. Very nice improvement.

However, I was unable to sign in to use Multi-player since it acknowledged I had an account with EA but it wouldn't take (nor allow me to change) my password. I'm able to sign in on the EA website, but not into the "MyCrysis" multiplayer?

Fortunately, I didn't experience a crysis situation ... hehe

Regarding piracy: "Why not simply use a client like STEAM uses?" Or no?

I am an AVID PC gamer and I gotta tell you that within the last 5 years PC gaming space in retail has moved fron multiple rows down to 1 self section at BB and other retailers.....that alone speaks volumes......

I am an AVID PC gamer and I gotta tell you that within the last 5 years PC gaming space in retail has moved fron multiple rows down to 1 self section at BB and other retailers.....that alone speaks volumes......

That's because most PC gamers are perfectly content or even prefer buying their games digitally through the multiple outlets out there like GOG, Steam, Origin, D2D, etc.

That's because most PC gamers are perfectly content or even prefer buying their games digitally through the multiple outlets out there like GOG, Steam, Origin, D2D, etc.

most of us are content to have media has it is LOADS faster than reinstalling from the internet..I use digital distribution because I can no longer get my games at retail.....

most of us are content to have media has it is LOADS faster than reinstalling from the internet..I use digital distribution because I can no longer get my games at retail.....

Oh yes, I'd also prefer retail if I had the choice.

Things are getting bad where digital distribution keeps getting bigger but the ISPs are getting rid of unlimited internet and putting caps. :mad:

I remember when GTA4: EFLC come out back in April 2010. At my local Best Buy, there were tons of PS3 and 360 copies out in display on launch day. When I came in and asked for the PC version, a guy had to go in the back store room and took 15 minutes before he could find it. Such a shame. :(

^target was the only retailer in my area that carried Batman Arkham City in my area...

Who gives a shit if Microsoft doesn't release a PC game? I can't for the life of me remember a game I have bought from them since Combat Flight sim back in the mid-2000s. Either way, PC gaming isn't dead, it's just that game devs are making lowest common denominator games that can fit on the outdated console systems. Of course you have devs like DICE who show that you can make a game for the PC and then port it to the consoles, but that requires effort, something most game devs don't give a flying fuck about. Just look at that shit Modern Warfare, I haven't seen that much laziness in a game since CitiesXL....oh wait. The time we will see more modern games (graphics wise and physics wise) is when the next gen consoles come out, then maybe a year after that we will start to see more advanced games coming to the PC (if the next gen of consoles actually are more powerful than the crap out now).

The best way to put it really is that PC gaming isn't in the limelight, because the Bitney Spears of gaming is getting all of the attention. Doesn't mean no one is listening to heavy metal. They have been saying heavy metal is dying, but it's more listened to now than ever before, it just doesn't get the attention that pop muzak gets. That's ok. We are doing just fine.

Next person who posts a "PC gaming is dead" thread should be banned, IMO. We've had way too much of this shit lately and it's simply not true, not even debatably so.

Next person who posts a "PC gaming is dead" thread should be banned, IMO. We've had way too much of this shit lately and it's simply not true, not even debatably so.

As I said before, this is not a PC Gaming is Dead thread and I can say that because I started this thread and I know what my intent and motive was.

But I did install and play Crysis 2 this weekend and I think a lot of the negative posts I had read in the past were more than unfair and, inaccurate. I found it to be a very good, entertaining and fun game and there were some very positive changes that were made (such as his being able to grab onto a ledge and pull himself over a high wall)

I'd like to commend the developers of Crysis 2 for making a very good, action packed PC game of high visual quality. As with many computer games these days, the story line seems a bit weak, but the game play is excellent IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back