If Abit goes under...

sskott13

n00b
...what mobo manufacturer would you go with? Assuming you were a long time Abit user...

My first experience with Abit is my beloved BH6. I used that 'ol girl to run my Celeron 300A that I o/c'd to 504 mhz. Later, I used a BF6 to run a PIII 600 that I o/c'd to 866 mhz. In fact, I still use it as a Windows 98SE "garage computer". Made the move to AMD with the help of a KT7A. I'm still using it as a back-up rig.

Abit BF6 (PIII 600 @ 866 mhz - garage rig)
Abit KT7A (Athlon @ 1.3 ghz - back up rig)
Abit NF7-S ver. 2.0 (current rig - see sig.)

I've had nothing but good experiences with Abit mobo's. I'd hate think that I MAY have to use something else in the future. I suppose I'd have to go with Asus... :(

ever since the advent of those retarded "Fatal1ty" boards they decided to go with I haven't really liked Abit. It wouldn't bother me. I'd go to DFI or Asus or any other respectible company

As somone who also has had a love of Abit, i too believe that Asus is the better brand now.

I have had 7 Boards from Abit, and they have all been good. My first Asus board was just as good if not better.

I still own 2 Abit BE6-II's that have died on me and took the cpu's with them, it was a great featured board, but after the 2nd one died on me i said forget, then made the mistake to go to MSI K7 Pro board with a K7 750mhz that got bad capacitors, so i left MSI. From there i went to Asus, with a P3, and loved it, got another Asus board P4P800S, it is a good board, and Find Asus quality just alot better than MSI, Abit.

I've recently moved to a Albatron board and i'm loving it so far, so I would get another Asus or Albatron but don't care for Abit, or MSI so much :(

Even though i don't care for the boards to much i hope they don't go under!

dtess17 said:
As somone who also has had a love of Abit, i too believe that Asus is the better brand now.

I have had 7 Boards from Abit, and they have all been good. My first Asus board was just as good if not better.

The IT department that I work in has dropped ASUS for ABit. We were ASUS for 7+ years, but lately the quality of the boards has really tanked. We had way too many DOA motherboards upon delivery when setting up new systems.

Now we use Abit nforce4 boards and we've not had a single DOA out of the 50+ boards we've used to date.

i like abit ALOT i defend it!! BUT their customer service has left me pointing the middle finger.
told me they arnt responible for incompatibilaties. well this maybe true (u are thinking) when i bought my mother board..........their website SAID it was compatible with x2 processors. well now i been wanting one and its not compatible. they even release a bios revision that tried to make it work but withdrew it.

the end is im mad. ive been sending them lots of emails the past weeks.

DFI here i come i guess ( ima miss guru and post code window )

Im still rocking 2 ABIT Mobo's:

ABIT BX6 Rev. 2/P3-933/GF3(Backup)
ABIT SA6 Raid/P3-1ghz/3dfx V5(for UT)

If and when they go under, I'll stick with Aopen & MSI.

tvdang7 said:
i like abit ALOT i defend it!! BUT their customer service has left me pointing the middle finger.

Heh I know that feeling, I had a DOA AN8 that I bought in Hong Kong, Abit Europe were not interested in it. Cheers guys, suffice to say I won't be in a hurry to get an Abit again.

Abit heading under, cold day that's for sure. I think they still have life in them yet. As for who to go to. Most likly ASUS at this point. DFI boards still are way to finicky for my taste. And ASUS has long been the only board I buy for my top system.

Most likely Gigabyte or Epox. Gigabyte for non-oc rigs and Epox for oc rigs.

CompMage said:
Abit heading under, cold day that's for sure.
You musta missed this thread:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=997472

Their assets have tanked, stockholder's equity has tanked, sales and revenue have dropped 80-90% vs last year, and they've lost ass-tons of money for 4 straight quarters.

They're selling a $1.7 billion building to reduce their debt to $2 billion. Their net worth has declined about 85% since last year. Trading of the company's shares has been suspended.

I will never buy an Abit again. It seemed that every board I have had of theirs always had a minor problem or was more susceptible to crashing. I like DFI, Epox and Asus much better.

MSI is ok. I personally like Biostar for budget and Asus for quality. Biostar makes extremely stable boards. Asus more ammenities and better overclockers.

tvdang7 said:
told me they arnt responible for incompatibilaties. well this maybe true (u are thinking) when i bought my mother board..........their website SAID it was compatible with x2 processors. well now i been wanting one and its not compatible. they even release a bios revision that tried to make it work but withdrew it.

the end is im mad. ive been sending them lots of emails the past weeks.

DFI here i come i guess ( ima miss guru and post code window )

Hmmm, did you see this link? http://www.abit.com.tw/cpu_support/amd-athlonX2-t.htm

This shows the boards they have X2 compatibility with and what BIOS rev is required.

I always used to go either asus or abit, until abit used some crappy caps on high-end boards that had a nasty tendancy to pop. Took them years to settle the class action, and by then i had thrown out my two dead boards. Only ever had one problem with Asus, I jumped on the S939 bandwagon early and got a rev1.0 A8V Deluxe that had a flaw limiting it to 10mhz fsb OC... they released a rev 2 shortly thereafter that worked with OCing properly... other than that always top-notch features and reliability.

I think Abit needs to start by dropping this Fatality (didn't both to spell the l33t crap) crap. It doesn't sell boards to enthusiasts, we don't buy because someone's name is on it, we buy boards for stability/reliability first, and for features immediately after that (overclocking is a factor too, but where it factors depends on who you are). Having that label probably cost them some dough in a sponsorship deal that they'll never get back.

I think Abit needs to go back to their roots and remember why they became such a player. The IT-5H mainboard was the first to offer a 1-jumper (CMOS reset) mainboard, where evyerything else was set in BIOS. Nobody had it at the time. Abit had some quality issues with the original revs, but worked through it and now every vendor has jumperfree. These kinds of features are huge. Develop something groundbreaking, or if not, ensure your board has every feature enthusiasts want, with a high level of quality control for a price we'll pay (doesn't have to be rock bottom, most of us will pay $130-150 for a mainboard if it's a good one) and ensure that we'll get decent support (BIOS updates, within-reason future CPU support) and we'll go for it. Heck, right now if Abit developed a quality onboard audio solution, that would beat out 80% of the competition right there that has settled for the standard ALC codecs. How about 1394b Firewire? Only one vendor I know of (Gigabyte IIRC) has that. Use the seemingly small details (Rubycon capacitors, locking SATA connectors) to add up to a board that does everything right. And then ensure quality control during production so that RMA rate is low. We'll buy it.

I've bought AOpen, ASUS, Abit, and MSI over the years. I'm currently buying MSI, mainly because AOpen has limited availability and features, and ASUS and Abit are charging more for their mainboards without offering anything compelling over everyone else, plus I think their quality control has slipped and they're now resting on their laurels. I've also heard horrible things about ASUS' post-sales tech support. I think Abit can come back out on top --if they go back and remember how they rose up in the first place.

Wouldn't bother me one bit. Abit aldeady went under in my eyes. They used to be my prefered manufacturer of choice. I loved my NF7, and when I made the move to A64 I got an Abit K8T800 Pro board (dont remember the exact name). Both were great boards. However, latly, they have had nothing but crap. The Fatal1ty boards are decent, but way overpriced. The cheaper NF8 boards suck... they are just playing off a once respectable name. I don't see myself buying another Abit board whether they go under or not.

I have been really impressed with MSI and Asus latley, and will probanly stick with them for a while. I have had bad experiances with DFI, but I would sitll be willing to give them another shot. The overclocker in me wants to give them a second go.

I really liked Abit. I've owned two of them, both KR7A-133R with Pally 1800's. I sold one here on the board a few years back, the other is serving as my SBS2K server at work.

Wasn't the greatest of boards, as it wasn't very future proof in the ability to handle Thorobred-based AXP. It did O/C nicely.

I would have a tough time deciding between Asus and (don't laugh) Biostar. I have an A7N8X-E with an O/C 2500 mobile barton, and a Biostar MCD7-pro (or something like that) with an O/C 2500 mobile barton as well. Both are running 200x12, but I swear the Biostar is way faster then the Asus.

I definitely will avoid MSI since I got burned several times by them (4 of the K7T series boards, once with a KM4MA-V that will load Linux, but not Windows).

I will cry :(

I've built nothing but ABIT+INTEL systems for years now. Never been let down by either one. No RMA's , no failures.

Grandfather is still running on Dad's old Slot based ABIT pentium 3 board.

I still have my SA6R running my p3-800 and harddrives on its raid controller in a server box.

Dad is still running on a BD7-RAID (used this motherboard and its non-raid variant for alot of friend's systems) with a 1.6ghz P4 running at 2.4Ghz, for a fucking long time now....:(

And still <3 my IT7 alot!

So many systems on BE7's, BD7's, IC7's, omg :(

ASUS by fame would be my second choice, but I really don't like their bios software.

Man, and I was planning Conroe + latest ABIT mobo for myself later in 2006. They better hold out. :mad:

LoneWolf said:
How about 1394b Firewire? Only one vendor I know of (Gigabyte IIRC) has that.
They do, the AW8 motherboard. Its their current Flagship I blieve. It has 2 ports.

Even still, I've never run across a device that uses fireware, everything uses USB2.0. And why shouldn't it, USB2.0 is faster and much much much more common. I don't think they would be missing much if it wasn't there.

i used to be a huge Abit fan. i had an Abit mobo for years.
i'm currently with MSI, but my next board will be ASUS.

Bought a Chaintech VNF250, it failed, they took overb a month to repair. Replacement failed, same one month response. Bought DFI, it failed, two month repair time, replacement failed, one month for rma, went back to Newegg, rma right away (newegg rocks). Bought three ABIT NF8, no failures, easy install...I will miss them. probably try ASUS next. I thought I heard the lead engineer from Abit left some time ago and moved to ASUS? Any truth to this?

I've had bad luck with abit since the NF2 days, the NF7-S was the last good board they had, IMO.

WGITV said:
... I thought I heard the lead engineer from Abit left some time ago and moved to ASUS? Any truth to this?

I honestly doubt it -- most engineers have to sign a non-compete agreement when they start work at a company. In fact, so do sales people, etc. The non-compete agreements typically last 1 year, so it is still possible.

I will miss them very much. I have built 30+ systems using exclusively abit boards, and I administer over them daily at my workplace. IS-10's, IS-7's, IC-7's, the MAX-3 in my workstation, my NF-7 at home, My AX-8, my original GF4 4200 siluro with the OTES on it. I have had some failures with a few boards, but their RMA process is easy enough.

I hope they can pull themselves together and stay in business

dog on the Fatal1ty line all you want. the 939 one fucking rocks. Abit was also one of the first companies to switch to all japaneese capacitors after that fiasco. they got nailed by that and have never really recovered. i really hope things come around for them.
EDIT: forgot... i also have an NF7, an NF7-s 2.0, and my old BP6 with dual 300A's at 500. long live abit!

WGITV said:
I thought I heard the lead engineer from Abit left some time ago and moved to ASUS? Any truth to this?

He moved to DFI...Oskar Wu

Menelmarar said:
Even still, I've never run across a device that uses fireware, everything uses USB2.0. And why shouldn't it, USB2.0 is faster and much much much more common. I don't think they would be missing much if it wasn't there.

iPod. Seriously, although my iPod mini will use either USB 2.0 or Firewire, I use the firewire port for 2 reasons:
1) It's faster (I've tested both modes - and at least for me this has proven true)
2) If you use firewire with the iPod mini, it charges the iPod's battery for you when it's connected to the computer. This isn't true if you use USB 2.0 mode.

Back on topic, I will miss Abit very bad if they go under. I currently have an Asus A8N-SLI Premium in my main rig, and it's been fantastic. However, I also have two (2) brand new Asus A8V motherboards in my closet that I had a variety of inexplicable problems with while building a system for a friend.

No joke - I even wrote Asus an actual snail-mail letter outlining the problems and asking them for input (even offered to GIVE them one of the boards, shipped to them at my expense, if they wanted to look at the situation themselves).

Yeah, Asus never responded to my letter.

I ended up using an MSI motherboard in the system I was building for the friend, it worked flawlessly the first time, and so I'll probably use MSI in the future if Abit does fold.

edit: I should say that I've been a huge Abit fan in the past, and have used many of their boards and never had a problem...they were my favorite.

I think DFI will end up morphing into the role that Abit had if Abit goes under. Abits used to be THE board for OCers and offered many more options than the rest of the competition. DFI does that now (although some will argue that they are hard to setup, etc.). Asus and MSI just don't allow the OCing features that DFI and Abit do....specifically a higher than .1V over the normal VCore and over 3.2V VDimm.

I've had 4 different Abit boards from a BH6 (celly 300 @ 500mhz for 5 years and still folding)to a Max 3. Every one worked flawlessly. Last 2 boards are Intel running stock 3.0ghz Prescotts. The Intels were cheap and are ROCK SOLID if you don't care about OC's. Asus tech support has to be the worst I've ever used. Had a Bios Flash go bad and they charged me $38 plus S&H for new flash of old chip
I really hope Abit pulls out of it. Competition is the best motivator for innovation!!!!!.

Good riddance.

BP6 - disaster, took me forever to get it running stable. Had to replace some capacitors and disable the on board IDE controller.

IC7G-MAX - another disaster.. all 3 of them. First would randomly lock, but I ignored it. Eventually it just wouldn't POST. The replacement wouldn't turn on at all. Third did the same thing. After that I gave up and replaced it with a Gigabyte 8IPE1000 PRO-G.. which has worked flawlessly with all the same components.

Die Abit, die.

Oh I hope not as I just bought two Abit boards.
I have two Asus AX8V's and now two Abit KN8-SLI and AN8-V. Both are very stable and seems to be working fine.

Back