idle 100C for 2700x ?

eurgbp

n00b
is this normal? or a misreading?

uc?id=1Z47C3gYeh-C4h5iznKcG4wcnBVL6tDLh.png

given how many of the sensors are showing over 100C and the socket temp is showing 41C my guess is it's bios related. either the bios is displaying the numbers in Fahrenheit and the programs think it's Celsius or something else it wrong.

Newer bios available for the board?

Definitely not normal. I'd bet on a misreading unless you completely failed at putting on the HSF properly (unlikely).

no that's not normal. touch the heatsink, is it 100c? you'll know. have you tried reseating the heatsink? tried clearing bios? are you using only one monitor program at a time? also, what are the rest of your specs?

seems like a thermal paste issue
disabled boost
now 3dmark has been passed

what is a max acceptable temperature for VRMs?

Wither it's an error or not it's most certainly worth disassembly and looking to see if the thermal paste spread properly and to re apply paste and see if anything changes

can't do that over teamviewer :)
but this is a good idea
MX4 thermal paste should be enough?

Any paste would be enough - it's a matter of it being properly applied moreso than what brand you use.

k if its the stock cooler expect 60-80c depending on what youre doing, normal use or stressing it. so as said above, you need to get there or have someone check the mounting and apply new paste. make sure the case has good airflow and that's as good at it will get with stock. best option would be to upgrade the heatsink, if there is room, which idk because you haven't provided any other details on the build...

Well the stock heatsink shouldn't be producing that high of temps at idle UNLESS the fan isn't connected. However, you've said it spins, so... I'd expect it is. (unless you mean the lights are spinning, which I believe there are two 'fan' plugs for those, one for the actual Fan and one for the LEDs)

All I can say is in my experience, HWMonitor sucks and is unreliable for reporting temps, at least on AMD hardware.

Use HWiNFO64. It's also free.
When it loads, check this box and it'll load up in a similar way to HWMonitor, except with accurate readings.
upload_2019-2-24_13-52-32.png

Look for the ""CPU (Tdie)" reading under the CPU (which should read as: "CPU [#0]: Ryzen 7 2700X").
That's the actual temp. For reference you can compare it to the "CPU (Tctl)". That one might read 20C higher than Tdie does, but that's normal (I can't remember if AMD changed that from the first gen Ryzen).

So what really might be happening is that HWMonitor and the BIOS are reporting what Tctl is reading, which is +20C above what it actually is. On top of that, perhaps the Fan profile is configured to change based on another sensor's output. For example, on my MSI board I can set it to read from the Chipset, which would always be a static temp with my system; therefore, no matter what load the CPU was under, the fan speed would never change.

hwminitor has known issues with Ryzen processors and accurate display of stats thereof. As Formula.350 said use hwinfo64. It's known to work correctly with Ryzen processors.

Tctl is always 10C over tDie on the 2700x. Tdie is the actual temperature so ignore Tctl.
upload_2019-2-25_23-18-20.png

Use snippet man. It's built into windows.

Don't include the excess space of nothing in the pictures.

Did you leave the plastic protective peel off sticker on the heatsink?

Yes some do.

Reactions: c3k
like this
Back