id Software on AMD Ryzen

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Hear from id Software’s CTO, Robert Duffy, on how DOOM® runs on AMD Ryzen and what their plans and expectations are for the new CPU. The current idTech 6 works very well at taking advantage of multiple threads already, but Duffy did mention that their new engine, presumably idTech 7 would be even more robust.

Check out the video.

"We're working on the next generation of idTech right now, and we're definitely gonna optimise fully for Ryzen. The new engine tech that we're working on is far more parallel than idTech 6 was. We plan to really consume all the CPU that Ryzen can offer."

It was already something when Doom was fully optimized for the Radeon cards. The jump in performance was quite the thing.

But seeing as how ID is going whole hog AMD - shit, it really makes me wish that ID had the licensing for Star Wars and NOT EA. I got a feeling Id games will end up shredding on Ryzen, as well as pushing the limits of the cores and the infinity fabric. At this point, it may not be fair to expect another "magic pill" from ID when it comes to AMD, but it would also not be out of bounds to expect one, given they already pulled it off once with Doom.

EDIT:

Also, it does my heart good to see a company developing for the hardware again and trying to push it to the limit - haven't really seen that since the 90s.

Bethesda is a significant AAA studio, I'm surprised AMD managed to get this. In a environment where Nvidia can plaster their green across the landscape, any marketing with AAA studios and publishers that AMD gets is more important for them than ever. And if their PR pans out, maybe we can see parity with Nvidia on their games.

I think what we are going to finally see here is AMD's true hardware capability. To date we have only seen what AMD can do in a world of intel optimized code paths and compilers. This should be quite the eye opener. It will also be interesting to see which title will first utilize tech7.

Reactions: dgz
like this
Bethesda is a significant AAA studio, I'm surprised AMD managed to get this. In a environment where Nvidia can plaster their green across the landscape, any marketing with AAA studios and publishers that AMD gets is more important for them than ever. And if their PR pans out, maybe we can see parity with Nvidia on their games.

id's history is supporting OpenGL, Vulkan, open-source, anti-monopolism, adventurous and experimental technology... this actually seems right up their alley. It's nice to see that Carmack leaving id doesn't appear to have resulted in id changing its philosophy.

id's history is supporting OpenGL, Vulkan, open-source, anti-monopolism, adventurous and experimental technology... this actually seems right up their alley. It's nice to see that Carmack leaving id doesn't appear to have resulted in id changing its philosophy.

I was referring more to the Bethesda-AMD partnership that was inked this year. Lots of Bethesda games have angled Nvidia in the past, including a few developed by iD i think.

I was referring more to the Bethesda-AMD partnership that was inked this year. Lots of Bethesda games have angled Nvidia in the past, including a few developed by iD i think.
They also tend to be large open world games that would benefit heavily from low level APIs. Not to mention better physics if that finally gets GPU accelerated.

They also tend to be large open world games that would benefit heavily from low level APIs. Not to mention better physics if that finally gets GPU accelerated.

Aside from Doom, most of Bethesda's games are not considered well optimized. If AMD can provide the support needed, awesome, if not, no one should be surprised.

But seeing as how ID is going whole hog AMD - shit, it really makes me wish that ID had the licensing for Star Wars and NOT EA.

Huh? If there's one engine that's arguably even more polished, optimized and parallel than idTech6, it's Frostbite. I think idTech is great, RAGE and DOOM2016 were a lot of fun, but let's face it, the environments and physics tend to be kind of flat and static. Frostbite graphics are gorgeous, the photogrammetric environments and physics are extremely dynamic, and GPU's 6-7 years old can still run it.

Last edited:
It was already something when Doom was fully optimized for the Radeon cards. The jump in performance was quite the thing.

But seeing as how ID is going whole hog AMD - shit, it really makes me wish that ID had the licensing for Star Wars and NOT EA. I got a feeling Id games will end up shredding on Ryzen, as well as pushing the limits of the cores and the infinity fabric. At this point, it may not be fair to expect another "magic pill" from ID when it comes to AMD, but it would also not be out of bounds to expect one, given they already pulled it off once with Doom.

EDIT:

Also, it does my heart good to see a company developing for the hardware again and trying to push it to the limit - haven't really seen that since the 90s.

Huh? If there's one engine that's arguably even more polished, optimized and parallel than idTech6, it's Frostbite. I think idTech is great, RAGE and DOOM2016 were a lot of fun, but let's face it, the environments and physics tend to be kind of flat and static. Frostbite graphics are gorgeous, the photogrammetric environments and physics are extremely dynamic, and GPU's 6-7 years old can still run it.

Well Frostbite is made by DICE isn't it? AMD and DICE developed Mantle and I guess Frostbite would follow along those lines.

This much more competition against Intel than NVidia. CPU support of this nature benefits NVidia as well.

Duffy I trust. He's not like that little weasel Willits (thanks for some of the best Q3 maps, though)

This much more competition against Intel than NVidia. CPU support of this nature benefits NVidia as well.

I forgot about Ryzen! Thanks for reminding me. Yeah, getting Ryzen supported, supporting a movement towards distributing load across cores would be really important for AMD against Intel.

unless Intel does some magic with the 8th generation, my next CPU will be the second generation RYZEN.

Aside from Doom, most of Bethesda's games are not considered well optimized. If AMD can provide the support needed, awesome, if not, no one should be surprised.
I wouldn't say they're unoptimized as much as old. When Oblivion first released the graphics were really good for the time. When Fallout 4 released it was basically using the same engine as Oblivion, but with some updates. If Bethesda goes all in on a new engine to run all their titles it could be interesting. Given the newer APIs it's probably time for that as well. The visuals in most games are pretty good, but I'd really like to see better physics and more details.

I forgot about Ryzen! Thanks for reminding me. Yeah, getting Ryzen supported, supporting a movement towards distributing load across cores would be really important for AMD against Intel.

personally i think both companies would benefit from the optimizations, obviously ryzen having more threads available to take advantage of the engine might finally force intel to make 6 core i7's semi affordable and not in the 1000 dollar bracket so it could be good for consumers looking to buy either side.

I figured they would eventually become more AMD friendly after the departure of Carmack.

Ole John is out of the spotlight now and I miss hearing from him on tech issues. He has a very straight forward, no BS approach. He was the first to talking about the "no future" issues with DX and openGL years before anyone was talking about direct APIs like Vulkan.

Back