• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

I'd really like to remind everyone

Yeah, things have definitely gotten a bit heated the past few days, I can agree. Still, I enjoy debating hardware, heck it's half the fun of buying these expensive toys to me at least :). Regardless of which way one leans, it would be downright silly to wish for one company to "win" the marketplace.

I've only been around since the Voodoo 2 days, myself :)... I jump back and forth depending on what's performing the best myself. Interesting you should mention DA:O... I oughta start that myself ;) :).
 
If everyone sat around holding hands and patting each other on the back this forum would be boring as shit. As ugly as it gets sometimes, forums NEED conflicting opinions IMO.

Everyone was hoping after all this time that Nvidia would bring a small thermonuclear device to the knife fight ATI started. Instead they showed up like 6 months late with a slightly larger knife. Hence dissapointment even though the card is fine(not great though) performance-wise atleast. The other factors(heat and noise) just tip most over the edge.
 
Yeah I can't see anyone wanting Nvidia to fail,if they do then they don't understand competition is a good thing..
 
I don't want nVidia to fail.

  • I want their attempts to shove proprietary shit down our throats to fail. (eg. Phsyx)
  • I want their usage of the TWIMTBP program to legally bribe devs to disable game features when played on competitors cards to fail. (eg disabling HDR+AA in the options back when they didn't support it)
  • I want their attempts to shove custom and/or proprietary scripting/coding/shading languages down developers throats to fail - its their job to meet the API (DirectX/OpenGL) - and not to make up their own shit. (eg ask Miscosoft how custom HTML tags like <blink> worked for them)
  • I want their continued attempt to coerce review sites (with bribe money/free hardware/ad packages etc) into giving them favorable reviews to fail.
  • I want their attempts to bribe high profile members of gaming forums (even here on [H]) to falsely provide positive comments on nVidia hardware (example, see the Nvidia Focus Group Scandal)

All companies are tempted to do shit like this, however other industries are highly regulated - and if any other big company tries this sort of despicable behavior they would have SEC and Anti-Trust lawyers on them like white on rice. The GPU industry isn't under that high level of scrutiny (yet) so ATI and Nvidia can get away with things other companies can't - but so far its nVidia who has been trying underhand tactics instead of making great hardware - so they really need a failure or two to hopefully get them back on the fight track.
 
It's the n thing to do right now until something else gets more attention.
 
Thanks for sharing that with us o.p., it was so very generous of you...



I don't want nVidia to fail.

  • I want their attempts to shove proprietary shit down our throats to fail. (eg. Phsyx)
  • I want their usage of the TWIMTBP program to legally bribe devs to disable game features when played on competitors cards to fail. (eg disabling HDR+AA in the options back when they didn't support it)
  • I want their attempts to shove custom and/or proprietary scripting/coding/shading languages down developers throats to fail - its their job to meet the API (DirectX/OpenGL) - and not to make up their own shit. (eg ask Miscosoft how custom HTML tags like <blink> worked for them)
  • I want their continued attempt to coerce review sites (with bribe money/free hardware/ad packages etc) into giving them favorable reviews to fail.
  • I want their attempts to bribe high profile members of gaming forums (even here on [H]) to falsely provide positive comments on nVidia hardware (example, see the Nvidia Focus Group Scandal)

All companies are tempted to do shit like this, however other industries are highly regulated - and if any other big company tries this sort of despicable behavior they would have SEC and Anti-Trust lawyers on them like white on rice. The GPU industry isn't under that high level of scrutiny (yet) so ATI and Nvidia can get away with things other companies can't - but so far its nVidia who has been trying underhand tactics instead of making great hardware - so they really need a failure or two to hopefully get them back on the fight track.


Yep, the high and mighty need to get smacked down a few notches now and then, I'll be good for them and us in the long run, make them get their shit together, I hope.

So much like Sony don't you think? The arrogant fucks...
 
all im going to say it was a business move, that in the end i think it will pay off quite well for nvidia. i mean the card can still game, and do other things. guess only time will tell.
 
Goddamn fanboys are the problem. Its frustrating to converse about a subject objectively with multitudes of irrational brand loyalist touting their favorite brand.

The value of a video card is measured by several scientifically measurable factors. After all factors are compiled (performance, cost, heat, power usuage, and noise) we are left with results that are not subjective. That should make the choice to purchase video cards very easy. Intelligent consumers will weigh all pros and cons and select the card that makes the most sense relative results from the scientific measurements.

Instead, we have the incessant rambling from idiotic brand loyalist who would rather choose a side than the make a rational decision.

I was personally hoping the Fermi was the fucking shit. I wish they would have released a card so powerful that it could eat and shit out the 5000 series from ATI. Why? Because that is progression and we all benefit from that. That would have forced ATI to scramble to come up with something that could compete, either way, we win. Instead, Fermi was released 6 months late, produced marginal returns over the 5800 series even though it had a shit ton load more memory, draws 50% more energy, and load temps are in the mid 90's celsius. Mid 90s on the temp means that there is hardly a fraction of space to overclock on air while even the 5870 1gb can be overclocked to perform on par with the 480 which is $100 more expensive. What happens when ATI releases the 2gb and 4gb version? Facts are, Nvidia brought us a utter piece of shit when you consider all the factors. It is incredible unfortunate because instead of have a kick ass upgrade to choose from, the best option is still the cards that are now 6 months old.

Goddamn fanboys are the problem. :mad:
 
Thank you, OP. What you've said has been sorely needed. Don't mind the terse jackoffs in this thread who are just looking for a cheap laugh at your expense ...
 
it's nice to see nvidia get knocked down a peg or two and it needs to keep happening until they get back to making hardware instead of cartoons, anti intel websites and driver hacks.....
 
Wait a second, you mean I could be getting paid by Nvidia to say awesome things about them?

................................nah forget it, I have morals you know!
 
I've owned a Rage 128, Radeon64 and the 8500LE, in and around my Voodoos, TNT, GF2, GF 4200, GF 6800, GF 7600, and GTX 260... I'm personally pretty excited in general about the amazing value ATI is bringing to market with their 5850. What must happen to twist a person's brain into such a tangled mess that they care what brand makes the best card?
 
Just sick of those people who blindly adhere to one company or the other out of blind loyalty or 10 year old conceptions of the other company

(ie: every Nvidia fanboy always can't help but keep saying how bad ATI's drivers are)
 
It's obvious AMD has the better product. Smart people will go with the better product not brand loyalty.
 
As long as human beings are involved, there will always be polite discussions, not so polite arguments & everything in between.

Ford vs Chevrolet, import vs domestic, turbo 4 cylinder vs naturally-aspirated V8, Coke vs Pepsi - the list goes on.

It's been said before, but discussing differing opinions is one of the things I enjoy most about my hobbies. :cool:
 
As long as human beings are involved, there will always be polite discussions, not so polite arguments & everything in between.

Ford vs Chevrolet, import vs domestic, turbo 4 cylinder vs naturally-aspirated V8, Coke vs Pepsi - the list goes on.

It's been said before, but discussing differing opinions is one of the things I enjoy most about my hobbies. :cool:

At least we're not flinging poo at each other...lol.
 
I don't want nVidia to fail.

  • I want their attempts to shove proprietary shit down our throats to fail. (eg. Phsyx)
  • I want their usage of the TWIMTBP program to legally bribe devs to disable game features when played on competitors cards to fail. (eg disabling HDR+AA in the options back when they didn't support it)
  • I want their attempts to shove custom and/or proprietary scripting/coding/shading languages down developers throats to fail - its their job to meet the API (DirectX/OpenGL) - and not to make up their own shit. (eg ask Miscosoft how custom HTML tags like <blink> worked for them)
  • I want their continued attempt to coerce review sites (with bribe money/free hardware/ad packages etc) into giving them favorable reviews to fail.
  • I want their attempts to bribe high profile members of gaming forums (even here on [H]) to falsely provide positive comments on nVidia hardware (example, see the Nvidia Focus Group Scandal)

All companies are tempted to do shit like this, however other industries are highly regulated - and if any other big company tries this sort of despicable behavior they would have SEC and Anti-Trust lawyers on them like white on rice. The GPU industry isn't under that high level of scrutiny (yet) so ATI and Nvidia can get away with things other companies can't - but so far its nVidia who has been trying underhand tactics instead of making great hardware - so they really need a failure or two to hopefully get them back on the fight track.

Can't argue with that..
 
I don't think that nvidia's product is bad, but rather that it just doesn't appeal to a very large audience. The fastest single card out there right now is the 480. If all you want is speed and don't care about price, then the 480 is your card. However, there are very few people out there like that. The real question is, can nvidia accomplish their goals with the 480? Well, if they can make enough of them I think they will. Nvidia has a lot of brand clout, and there will be people lining up to buy their cards whether they are the best on price/performance or not. I don't think ATI/AMD has that game down nearly as well.

That said, I just want the 4850's / 4870's 9800/250's of the world to drop in the 50$ used range :p
 
Back
Top