IBM eServer 325 Dual Opteron 2.0GHz 1GB 120GB Server w/VID (Refurb) $197

I got ESX server 3.5 60 day trial up and running on this thing without a problem, only problem is that you can install ESX server itself to an IDE drive but not store virtual disks on it so you cant create virtual machines, but thanks to its support for NFS i turned my FREENAS box into a nice NFS server and was able to create virtual machines and store them on the NAS via NFS over my network! but it is slooowwwww over a 100mbps link. i guess i have my own little 100mbps SAN going here lol

now i just need to get some cheap scsi drives instead of storing and installing operating systems over the network.

pretty badass a $135 esx server :)

now here is something funny, i could not install the esx server console on vista 64 so i had to install it on my windows server 2008 trial that is running in a virtual machine on regular VMware server on my other machine, so i am controller ESX server from within a virtual machine in VMware server!

1. It should be fine on a table
2. Just like any other computer
3. Nope

Just an operating system besides keyboard, mouse, network cable, etc.

Mind you these suckers are kinda long. They will work fine sitting on a table though.

Thanks guys. I am self taught when it comes to computers learning most of what I know from the [H] and just tearing into things. I would like to learn more about servers and stuff like that. I hate that a lot of this thread I have no idea what people are talking about. (ESX Server, NAS, NFS....). I would also like to get a box so I can start playing around with Linux, I have tried it a couple times by dual booting but I get tired of having to select which OS I want so I give up quickly and just go back to windows.

Is there a newer version of these that is capable of using dual core processors that doesn't cost very much more? Also these are Socket 940 are they not?

Got the 1st one today, I forgot it doesn't have ps/2. And my keyboards are all ps/2. Lol. Where's a cheap place to buy ps2 usb adapters?

Anything cheaper than this? http://www.emtcompany.com/products/adapters/ps2usb-ps2-to-usb-adapter.htm

get the IBM diagnostics cd for the eserver325 and make sure everything works and is stable http://www-304.ibm.com/jct01004c/sy...ocdisplay?lndocid=MIGR-53062&brandind=5000008

the cd has an amazing amount of options and ways you can test

Interesting. How long does it take to perform its diagnostics?

the CD is insane, it has a plethora of different stuff, most of it you need to be an IBM computer engineer to know what it is, you can select alot of different tests to run i was overwhelmed i just ran some quick test that tested all the hardware then a memory test thing similar to memtest86.

trust me try it out

Ok got mine last night, Let me tell you a few things.. First this thing is not loud at all. I have a Dell 1500SC server. Now that thing is loud.. Second its not that big, its about 4 inch's longer than my uber Chakra case..

Thanks AMD_Gamer for the CD ran the Diag and everything checks out good, all tests passed.. Now to leave + feedback.. I will have pics up by tonight..

so is the picture the same as what you get? and are those hotswap trays for ide or scsi?

Ladies and Gentlemen, the IBM eserver325!

img4430gd9.jpg

img4432xf9.jpg

img4435oa1.jpg

img4438en9.jpg

img4439og6.jpg

img4440cz7.jpg

img4441sw6.jpg

img4442xz7.jpg

img4443vp5.jpg

img4444tk5.jpg

img4445pg7.jpg

img4446rb6.jpg

img4446rb6.jpg

img4447na0.jpg

img4448ek7.jpg

img4450aa2.jpg

img4453fe5.jpg

img4454de8.jpg

img4455pd6.jpg

Pics show same as mine, but I've added video and pci usb card plus 4 gigs of RAM. Nice huh ?

so is the picture the same as what you get? and are those hotswap trays for ide or scsi?

As already mentioned, there are no hotswap trays, period. These are IDE systems. Info on what you would need to convert it to hotswap scsi is a page or so back in the thread.

Hey guys, just reviving this, can you use non-ECC memory? And where can I buy it cheap?

Has anyone been able to find rails for these things? I am having no such luck.

Just read something on this forum.

(cf)Eclipse said:
Unbuffered vs Buffered/Registered and if ECC is important
First, I'll touch on ECC. Think of ECC as a superset of DRAM. If both the Motherboard and Memory support ECC, it can be enabled, but doesn't have to be. A non-ECC ram stick will work in an ECC supporting motherboard just as an ECC stick will work in a motherboard that doesn't support ECC.
ECC is basically a way to check for errors (duh ). Those of you who need it will know why this is important. If you don't know, you most likely don't need ECC.

Unbuffered RAM is what is used in the majority of desktop motherboards. Registered RAM is typically used in a server environment.
Basically, Registered RAM has a little buffer that incurrs a performance hit, but allows for much better loading on the memory controller to allow for many more sticks to be used, thus why it's typically used in servers or computers that definitly need a lot of Memory Capacity.

And...

It depends a lot on the motherboard.

Yes, you can mix-and-match ECC with non-ECC RAM/motherboard.

However, you cannot mix-and-match Registered/Buffered with Un-registered/Unbuffered RAM.

(I learned that from personal experience after buying the wrong Kingston RAM.)

EDIT 1: Ok, since I was too lazy to buy a generic USB keyboard back then, I bought myself a Belkin USB-PS/2 adapter.

Fired the eServer up and there is an option to turn off ECC. So I'm guessing...yeah?

I have a 2x 1GB DDR SDRAM PC2700 module on my old HP desktop that I use upstairs, so I'll shut that one down and try to boot up with Non ECC, and then 2 modules of ECC and 2 modules of Non ECC (Dunno i fthis is goign to work, if ECC is disabled in the BIOS).

Sad to say that it won't take Non ECC ram. Mine passed every single bit of test from the IBM Diagnostic CD.

I took a picture of it!

mg1072tn5.png

Hardware Information
Processors 2
Model AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 246
CPU Speed 1.99 GHz
Cache Size 1024.00 KB
System Bogomips 7978.2

Label Value
Core0 Temp 102°F (39°C)
Core0 Temp 120°F (49°C)

i also stuck in a pcix card and replaced the two ide drives with sata.

Fired the eServer up and there is an option to turn off ECC. So I'm guessing...yeah?

I have a 2x 1GB DDR SDRAM PC2700 module on my old HP desktop that I use upstairs, so I'll shut that one down and try to boot up with Non ECC, and then 2 modules of ECC and 2 modules of Non ECC (Dunno i fthis is goign to work, if ECC is disabled in the BIOS).

Sad to say that it won't take Non ECC ram. Mine passed every single bit of test from the IBM Diagnostic CD.

I don't know if I've ever seen non-ecc registered ddr before. Thing is most registered memory is also ecc due to where it is going. Has been this way for a while. I'd be a little susprised to see register memory that doesn't support it. You can still disable the ecc in a lot of cases but the memory being registered is what is important.

On normal Unbuffered memory you can swap ecc for non-ecc and it is fine.

uses more power then my 2650. no matter if the cpus are idle or fully loaded it uses the same amount of power. i think the power supply is not desinged that well.

Mine is steady folding away for the [H]orde. :D

I just picked up one of these one eBay brand new (lucky me, I caught it five minutes after it was posted). Mine is the dually Opty @ 2.2GHz, 4GB RAM, 80GB HDD (IDE).

My question is whether anyone knows if these machines support IDE LBA48 so that I could throw a large IDE HDD in it.

Has anyone been able to find rails for these things? I am having no such luck.

Guys, you'll have to call IBM Boulder Parts to get rails for these, as they have been EOL'd (the e series...the whole line). IBM Boulder parts can be reached at:

1-800-388-7080

I don't know if you'll need a Customer # and Location ID # though. We are an IBM Partner, and reseller. I will be taking my IBM System X (which covers the eseries) test next Friday. Hope it helps. If they ask, you found the number with the machine documentation :D

Guys, you'll have to call IBM Boulder Parts to get rails for these, as they have been EOL'd (the e series...the whole line). IBM Boulder parts can be reached at:

1-800-388-7080

I don't know if you'll need a Customer # and Location ID # though. We are an IBM Partner, and reseller. I will be taking my IBM System X (which covers the eseries) test next Friday. Hope it helps. If they ask, you found the number with the machine documentation :D

You don't need to have a customer number. Also, if you're local to Denver, you can go pick them up in person. I've done that before since the IBM Boulder site is literally about a mile and a half from where I work.

I just picked up one of these one eBay brand new (lucky me, I caught it five minutes after it was posted). Mine is the dually Opty @ 2.2GHz, 4GB RAM, 80GB HDD (IDE).

My question is whether anyone knows if these machines support IDE LBA48 so that I could throw a large IDE HDD in it.

Yes, it will support any IDE drive that you can give it, provided your system BIOS is updated. I have downloaded the latest BIOS ISO update disk (burn to disk, boot, flash from burned disk) if someone has a place for me to upload it, PM me. It's under 2.0MB. Ahh, the benefits of being a registered partner!

Yes, it will support any IDE drive that you can give it, provided your system BIOS is updated. I have downloaded the latest BIOS ISO update disk (burn to disk, boot, flash from burned disk) if someone has a place for me to upload it, PM me. It's under 2.0MB. Ahh, the benefits of being a registered partner!

Which BIOS version are you showing as the latest?

Back