IBM eServer 325 Dual Opteron 2.0GHz 1GB 120GB Server w/VID (Refurb) $197

Mine runs windows home server, the 120 day trial, I got it from M$. So far the server has not shut off on me yet. If it does start up with that, I am sending the fucker back and going for that dual xenon they got.

im looking at the BIOS right now and it has the option to disable ECC , disable enable DRAM ECC, ECC SCRUB REDIRECTION, Chip-Kill and some other crazy stuff

not sure if that means you can use non ECC or not

im looking at the BIOS right now and it has the option to disable ECC , disable enable DRAM ECC, ECC SCRUB REDIRECTION, Chip-Kill and some other crazy stuff

not sure if that means you can use non ECC or not

I'd like to know, if I can run reg ddr its getting 6 gigs:D

ok i have this 10+ year old vga monitor that is working with it so i fired her up and did some testing to make sure its good and it is!

i used the enhanced diagnostics program http://www-304.ibm.com/jct01004c/sy...ocdisplay?lndocid=MIGR-53062&brandind=5000008

and UBCD to run memtest and then installed Ubuntu without any trouble :)

this is an awesome deal i will try and get some pics and a full review up here soon,

it is not that loud at all, for some reason when you first turn it on it sounds like a vaccum cleaner but it dies down after 2-3 seconds.

once again i recommend getting one from here if you are interested i got mine for $135 and $45 shipping, well worth it, and good learning experience if you have never worked with a blade server like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-eServer-325...ryZ11215QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

these people must have hundreds of them and i highly recommend them http://stores.ebay.com/DPV-COMPUTER-SURPLUS

now the ultimate test ESX SERVER!!!!!!

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hmm, if I win a bid or if this deal comes back, it'll be overkill for just a server hosting shell acounts for irc/eggdrop/bnc. Hehehe.

Anyone know if you can swap out the Cd drive to a different optical drive like dvd/rw?

Anyone know if you can swap out the Cd drive to a different optical drive like dvd/rw?

I swapped in a cdrw/dvd rom from my laptop into it. Its a slim form factor drive. There is also an ide to laptop drive adapter in there. Fairly straight forward.

lol, I must be getting into bid wars with some of you then over a few of these. :p

The units "natively" hold 2 drives, but, eliminate the optical drive and I think you could easily get 3 IDE drives in it. At least, thats my plan. I am running WHS and want to do 3 750gb drives.

That would be called the SCA backplane - on the inside of the case it will have a power connector, SCSI connector, and probably a smaller monitoring cable. On the drive side two SCA connectors. Card will probably be an inch and a half tall x 6 to 8 inches long. You would also need a different bezel for the right front.

The options installation guide shows the hot swap parts ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/systems/support/system_x_pdf/88p9311.pdf

This page shows the parts you would need to find to convert it to hot swap. Specifically

The backplane - IBM Part # 32P1932
The Front Bezel - # 74P4949

then of course drives on original IBM SCA drive sleds.

A quick peek on eBay found one seller with everything you need but the drives and sleds. http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-32P1932-SCS...ryZ56095QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

for $46.50 shipped - not too bad and it even includes the correct cables you would need. Just search the part number on eBay. Then find the SCA SCSI drives with sleds or find drives without and find bare sleds.

The link is for a bezel for a 335, will this work with the 325? The backplane part number is the same, but the bezel part numbers are different.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I did not even notice that. Not 100% sure but it looks like it will fit just fine.

damn... damn.... damn... Fed ex!.
I usually hate UPS and love FED Ex.
I just got mine today, shipped to my job. Opened it up and there was a damaged bezel and the metal frame was also bent.........So much so that you would have to take the bezel off to use the front Usb or hit the power/reset switches. There was a gash in the side of the box.
Still I powered it up, i was not THAT loud, only about as loud as the fan i had on the Athlon XP2100...........globalWin FOP38???

Got mine from that same company off ebay and they sent me a RMA label today by email. I will send it back and they will send me a new one. No charge to me, i guess thats good.

I couldnt get that much of a look at the IDE drive but would this standard one work as the replacement? Thanks much in advanced.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151162

remember some of them from that company come with 2GB RAM installed, so try to bid on those

Yeah bid on the 2 gig ones because the ram is just about as expensive as the rig.

the pci slots are backward compatible. I've got a 5 port USB 2.0 card in one slot and I did have a sound blaster in the other but I went usb for the sound freeing up the one slot. I have a pci 128 video card and checked out the bios, only thing I found about video was video agp abled/disable. Guess I'll give it a try later and just be prepared to reset bios if need be.

Thanks

What OS did you happen to be running on it?
I have a 1 year trial version of Server 2003, does anyone know if the drivers are THAT different? I mean i do know that Server 2003 has its own drivers but can you use XP drivers the same way that you could use Win2000 drivers for XP and Win98 Drivers for WInME. I am also looking to toss in a gfx card and maybe a USB 2.0 card.

Forgive my stupidity in this area but I have a couple questions.

1. If I get one of these do I need some sort of rack to mount it in or can it just sit on a table and have the hookups in the rear like a normal desktop?
2. I am mainly thinking of getting one or more of these for experimenting with different software and to use as a Folding machine, how easy are these to setup with various operating systems?
3. Besides an Os will I need anything else to get one of these to run other than keyboard, mouse, and a Monitor?

1. If I get one of these do I need some sort of rack to mount it in or can it just sit on a table and have the hookups in the rear like a normal desktop?
2. I am mainly thinking of getting one or more of these for experimenting with different software and to use as a Folding machine, how easy are these to setup with various operating systems?
3. Besides an Os will I need anything else to get one of these to run other than keyboard, mouse, and a Monitor?

1. It should be fine on a table
2. Just like any other computer
3. Nope

Just an operating system besides keyboard, mouse, network cable, etc.

Mind you these suckers are kinda long. They will work fine sitting on a table though.

Back