IBM eServer 325 Dual Opteron 2.0GHz 1GB 120GB Server w/VID (Refurb) $197

annaconda

[H]F Junkie
Link

Geeks has the IBM eServer 325 Dual Opteron 2.0GHz 1GB 120GB Server w/VID (Refurbished) for a low $197.99 with 10% off Coupon Code: TECHBARGAINS (Exp 1/31). $14.00 Shipping

I am so tempted, I am getting my own apartment in may and this would be an awesome backbone for my network

ton of them floating on ebay, you actually get bit better deal then geeks

Depends on the SCSI controller.

edit: to answer your question, yes.
http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_systems_guide.pdf

However, you'll need to get a different HD if it actually has an IDE drive in there - VMFS must live on SCSI and preferably on RAID.

wow this would be perfect i was looking at the specs and the 2 front panels are for hot swap scsi, and there is a IDE connector inside

so all i would need is this and get some cheap scsi drives for an esx server!

You guys have balls (or are deaf) if you are running 1U servers in your house.

I tried with a PE1850 and 2 HP 360 G5's.... couldn't do it.

Hahaha, yeah they're loud but I'm trying to fill up a 42u at Paul so every deal is a good deal!

Basement, heated shead, etc. You can get away with stuffing them in a bunch of different areas. Now if you get a few of them it may become an issue.

~looks around~

I count... 17 computers in various forms, including laptops.

Of those, in my immediate vicinity, are 6 of them, going full out.

Yeah... ;) noise? Not so much.

Don't get me wrong, I have a crap load of PC's (11, including 2 laptops, a PE2900 and a dual quad core Precision 690 as my workstation)... but, the 1U's were over the top.

No heated sheds, A/C'ed attics, or basements, etc for me.. I live in deeeep south Texas.. it already costs me ~$700/month to A/C my house!

Anyone need a pair of DL360's or an 1850? :p

Don't get me wrong, I have a crap load of PC's (11, including 2 laptops, a PE2900 and a dual quad core Precision 690 as my workstation)... but, the 1U's were over the top.

No heated sheds, A/C'ed attics, or basements, etc for me.. I live in deeeep south Texas.. it already costs me ~$700/month to A/C my house!

Anyone need a pair of DL360's or an 1850? :p

yes. I need them :)

Great deal but thanks for the eBay tips. I need a heater to put in my networking rack / storage room without any baseboard heater :) Make for a great firewall server and folding box to replace my P3-1000 but I need to take care of my CC which has been raped a lot lately :eek:

Dude, just type "eserver 325" on eBay and you will see lots of them :rolleyes:

Just watch the shipping costs and be sure of the seller.... I saw some there with $45 shipping and at final bids - once shipping was added the price was not much less.

Just watch the shipping costs and be sure of the seller.... I saw some there with $45 shipping and at final bids - once shipping was added the price was not much less.

I agree. I saw a nice one which ship to Canada but they ask 115$ :rolleyes:

Just shop and you can find a nice deal.

I think i am going to stick with my server with out any case.

Specs:

AMD X2 3600
Foxconn AMD 690G Motherboard
4GB RAM PC6400
160GB SATA II Hard Drive
GigaBit Ethernet
Gemini II CPU Cooler (Passive)
500 Watts psu (Open Case)

The total Watts it draws = 65 Watts

Total Cost = $200 :D

I think mine is better than this IBM machine.

Specs:

AMD X2 3600
4GB RAM PC6400
160GB SATA II Hard Drive
GigaBit Ethernet

How is that better if the eServer 325 has 2x Opteron while yours is just 1 ??

his server only has one CPU but it has 2xcores on it, where as the IBM 325 has 2xCPU with single cores.

Duh, I always forget that Opterons has single-cores indeed. However, they can be upgraded to dual-cores ones for 4 cores total ;)

Actually I dont think they can.... :( That sucks. 3rd paragraph last sentence... http://www.itjungle.com/tug/tug042105-story01.html

"So, to be specific, the IBM eServer 325 and the initial batches of Sun's V20z Opteron servers cannot use the dual-core Opterons."

Looks like it's not such a hot deal after all.

Specs:

AMD X2 3600
4GB RAM PC6400
160GB SATA II Hard Drive
GigaBit Ethernet

Define better? As in more for your money or more for reliability and rock solid stability? You can't compare an IBM or any other enterprise grade server designed for stability and reliability (not to mention form factor design) to a home built box.

lol, it took us few days to figure that out. I think it is a good deal in respect to the parts you are getting.

Lets break it down:

Server Case = $70 at least
2 X Opteron CPUs = $40 each minimum.= $80
1GB ECC memory = $40
120GB Hard Drive = $30
Motherboard = $70 at least
PowerSupply= $30
Heatsink, etc = $30

Total = $ 350

Correct me if i am wrong or missing something.

Maybe this thread should get moved to the discussion part.... anyhow I got mine in this morning. Looks nice - I've not yet had a chance to plug it in or anything. The specific model is 8835-Y11. The IBM Support page for it is http://www-304.ibm.com/jct01004c/systems/support/supportsite.wss/selectproduct?familyind=5151170&typeind=5151232&modelind=5166413&osind=0&brandind=5000008&oldfamily=5151170&taskind=2&continue.x=48&continue.y=13

Also IBM does have a doc specifically about setting this machine up as a VMWare ESX Server at the link above on the Install/Use tab. I did open the cover on it and yes it does have onboard SCSI - you would just need a SCSI cable and 2 68 pin SCSI drives to switch it to pure SCSI. It does not allow for hot plug drives and I dont see how you could fit an adaptor on the end of a drive so 80 pin SCA drives are not going to work. The ram it came with is 2 dimms and there are 4 more dimm slots open plus two PCI-X slots. It could be converted to use SCA drives but you would need the little backplane board and a new front bezel. On the plus side the rails for installing a second hard drive internally are taped in the second drive bay. I only wish it would support a pair of dual core processors. Probably would not work but I should just try sticking a pair in.... I just dont happen to have a pair of dual core opterons laying around so for now thats out.

Back