IBM eServer 325 Dual Opteron 2.0GHz 1GB 120GB Server w/VID (Refurb) $197

Version 1.36 - Build M1E136A

Also, just so that everyone is aware, I see mention in some of the papers saying the only purchasable options for IDE drives on the e325 is up to 120GB for IDE. Forum users report configs with 500GB drives, currently, with latest BIOS updates.

note: I'm absolving myself of responsibility if a drive over 120GB doesn't work. I just thought I'd let you guys know, since I have access to this stuff, what is being reported, from both ends of it.

Version 1.36 - Build M1E136A

Also, just so that everyone is aware, I see mention in some of the papers saying the only purchasable options for IDE drives on the e325 is up to 120GB for IDE. Forum users report configs with 500GB drives, currently, with latest BIOS updates.

note: I'm absolving myself of responsibility if a drive over 120GB doesn't work. I just thought I'd let you guys know, since I have access to this stuff, what is being reported, from both ends of it.

Cool, so that's the same one they have available publicly. I'll make flashing that my first order of business when it arrives.

Guys, you'll have to call IBM Boulder Parts to get rails for these, as they have been EOL'd (the e series...the whole line). IBM Boulder parts can be reached at:

1-800-388-7080

I don't know if you'll need a Customer # and Location ID # though. We are an IBM Partner, and reseller. I will be taking my IBM System X (which covers the eseries) test next Friday. Hope it helps. If they ask, you found the number with the machine documentation :D

How much are the rails to buy or does IBM provide them for free?

Cool, so that's the same one they have available publicly. I'll make flashing that my first order of business when it arrives.

Good deal. Sometimes the publicly available one isn't the same (from experience). Glad that got confirmed. Guess I won't have to find a host for the ISO afterall!

How much are the rails to buy or does IBM provide them for free?

Doesn't sound like you've dealt with IBM much before :D "Nothing in this world is free" Sound familiar? I'm not sure what the price is on the rails directly from Boulder parts. You'd have to give them a call. I'd do it, but my price wouldn't be yours (usually), so the information would not be relevant. I suppose you could also try the favorite source for people in need of things no longer produced....ebay

Doesn't sound like you've dealt with IBM much before :D "Nothing in this world is free" Sound familiar? I'm not sure what the price is on the rails directly from Boulder parts. You'd have to give them a call. I'd do it, but my price wouldn't be yours (usually), so the information would not be relevant. I suppose you could also try the favorite source for people in need of things no longer produced....ebay

I deal with IBM but usually the servers I get includes rails.. I never have to hunt them down. Ebay comes up hopeless, at least the last few times I checked.

EDIT: Just found a pile.

I just got my 325 in the mail yesterday (8355-61X). And I noticed a glaring oversight on my part -- I don't see any power rails for IDE hard disks. I know IBM sold some models of the 326 with IDE drives. Anyone know where they tap power for them? Right now it looks like I might need to mode the SCSI power cable, which I really don't want to do.

edit:
It looks like (from the datasheet) that FRU 24P0865 is what I need but I don't have any pictures of it.

edit2:
anyone have a picture of that FRU (24P0865) so that I can make sure it's the correct part?

Yeah, actually.

I got mine along with about 10 other older servers for $100 bucks from a Data Center.

Scrapped most of them, made my money back there...

But I managed to salvage these:

1. Tyan Dual AMD Server in 2U AMD case. It came with 1800+ MPs and I have a spare pair from one of them I scrapped.

2. Dell Poweredge 1750 Dual Xeon 1U. Only thing I don't have is the power adapter, it's a round circular switching plug. Similar to a laptop charger.

3. IBM x335 Dual Xeon 3.2GHz 1U. I have two CPU's for this, but only one heatsink. Got 2x10K 36GB and 2x15K 36GB Hard drives though.

4. IBM x325 Dual Opteron 2.0GHz 1U. Have both Heatsinks, but only one CPU.

I also got 2x2GB, 4x1GB and like 12x512MB ECC RAM from 2100 to 2700.

I have the Opteron with 2x2GB and 2x1GB RAM. (I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit on this until the other CPU comes in.)

IBM Xeon has 4x512MB

Tyan has 2x1GB and 2x512MB

Dell Poweredge has 2x512MB

I'm selling the Xeon x335 and the Dell too, once I get the Power adapter.

Plan to use the Opteron for a WoW server and the Tyan in a Tower case for a media server.

Although I'm thinking of bumping the Opteron CPUs to 250's...Found some super cheap on Ebay.

Back