IBM and VISA Want Automatic Payments for Usage and Potential Repairs

cageymaru

Fully [H]
IBM and VISA and have collaborated on how to get IoT devices to charge you in real time for usage. For example you purchase a car and want to drive out to the beach. Your car payment could be arranged to be based on usage instead of a set monthly payment. When you get to the beach, the car would report back how many miles you drove and charge you accordingly. The first thing that popped into my mind was what if your account was short the cash? Do you now get to walk home? Does the car stop you mid trip and announce that you can't go further?

The second example was the most sinister to me. In the future there could possibly be a system where your car reports that your fan belt is wearing out to the car manufacturer. You are automatically charged for the repair and sent coordinates where to get it fixed. This is wrong on so many levels. Ever bought an ink cartridge for a printer? I bet that 99% of you that responded yes have experienced the phenomenon where the printer says that the cartridge is empty; but it is at least one third full. Am I really going to trust my car manufacturer to be honest about a potential repair?

Then we have to trust that someone else doesn't hack our IoT accounts, IoT cars, IoT shoes, IoT washing machines. We just had this report about 5,000 IoT devices at a college getting hacked.

In a similar vein, you might pay for the washing machine in your house based on how often you do laundry or how big the load is. And your connected running shoes can alert you when it’s time to replace the pair, delivering recommendations of shoe models, retailers and prices on your phone.

“It’s the combination of data coming off the sensors, tied to a device about your preferences. Payments is usually what completes the commerce experience. It’s all of that coming together that hopefully creates those magic moments,” says Jim McCarthy, executive vice president, innovation and strategic partnerships at Visa.

Echoing the previous comments, there's a limit to the idea of how far IoT bullshit needs to be exercised and this is a bit ridiculous. Hell, the "My fridge will order milk for me when I'm running low..." and other ideas like it really irk the hell outta me nowadays, not that I'll ever own such appliances.

I can watch movies and TV shows that show us a future with such interconnectivity but as I get older I'm realizing I'm kinda happy I'm not going to be around for such times. :)

Big brother would like you to pay for each mile so he can track you where ever and when ever you go.
With license plate readers on the majority of stop signs in the area I work, I'm afraid that is already happening. It's for "security". Stupid rich people.

Yes, because if I'm going to get a repair - I'm DEFINITELY going to get the manufacturer to do it for an obscene price. Just like making a repair on a cell-phone, I would LOVE for them to replace the battery for me for the low low cost of $300.

Let me put it to you this way: I had a part on my microwave that was borken. It was essentially just an aesthetic piece. I looked at the manufacturer website to see what it would cost to replace for our builders grade junk microwave... they wanted something to the tune of $80 for a piece of plastic that covers the vents..... Or... I could just do some do-it-yourself work and make the current one work for a $0.99 super glue. Which one do you think I went with.

The second example was the most sinister to me. In the future there could possibly be a system where your car reports that your fan belt is wearing out to the car manufacturer. You are automatically charged for the repair and sent coordinates where to get it fixed. This is wrong on so many levels. Ever bought an ink cartridge for a printer? I bet that 99% of you that responded yes have experienced the phenomenon where the printer says that the cartridge is empty; but it is at least one third full. Am I really going to trust my car manufacturer to be honest about a potential repair?

Before you get your paranoia engine going, you might want to re-read a bit of that article. "Out on the road, the connected car alerts drivers when it needs a fan belt or other parts. The driver pushes a button in the vehicle to order and pay for the part, and to arrange a service appointment to have it installed." That's not automatic, you, the driver, choose to order and pay for the part, and arrange service. Don't trust the car, pop the hood and check the belt yourself. Don't want to let the car order the parts and arrange service? Then just do it yourself. I certainly don't mind the car giving me a heads up to check under the hood though, and if the car / parts were still under warranty, that saves a bit of hassle as well. I suspect this type of feature would also get a lot of love from people that are managing fleets.

The first bit (being automatically charged for the mileage) just sounds like an alternative to a lease. Definitely not right for everyone, but there's somebody out there for whom that payment option is a winner.

This IoT rage is a bit ridiculous. No sense of responsibility on the indivdual anymore. Kids don't have to do crap now because we have removed the requirement of actually having to track what needs to be done. I understand the idea of the warnings about potential failures but isn't that what makes people learn? FAILING until you get it right? Yet we still aren't LEARNING how to secure these new devices its just about getting the product out and collecting profit.

This is nothing new.

The first thing that popped into my mind was what if your account was short the cash? Do you now get to walk home? Does the car stop you mid trip and announce that you can't go further?

I was lunching with someone who told me that this actually happened to one of their clients. Said client was in a combine harvester at the time and it stopped in the middle of a field because he was behind with his payments.

This is the stuff of wet dreams for business development folks. Usage monitoring! Reminds me of an article I recently read that was talking about using a camera (like the Kinect I guess?) to monitor how many people were in a room watching a pay-per-view type show. More eyes, costs you more money. It's good for the consumer. Right...we can trust them.

All I can say is the Corporations have to much money to play with when they allow idiotic ideas to come up from their ranks. What!! do they have contests and the winner of the craziest idea wins a trip to the Bermuda Triangle. I just shake my head in disbelief. People are becoming zombies and not the disease type either.

Some comedian did a routine about how the gov't would tax your dick if they could; that in the future, when you're born they'll implant a chip in your penis and every time you get an erection, you'll be taxed on it; whether you 'use' it or not. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

Some comedian did a routine about how the gov't would tax your dick if they could; that in the future, when you're born they'll implant a chip in your penis and every time you get an erection, you'll be taxed on it; whether you 'use' it or not. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

Geez, if you have children better hope you don't have boys.. Those teenage years are going to cost you.. Will make braces look like a minor budget expense.. LOL

I'm just going to assume that this is only for rental items.

There's no way any of this flies with purchased items.

In a similar vein, you might pay for the washing machine in your house based on how often you do laundry or how big the load is. And your connected running shoes can alert you when it’s time to replace the pair, delivering recommendations of shoe models, retailers and prices on your phone.

Straight from the article. ;)

Big brother would like you to pay for each mile so he can track you where ever and when ever you go.
Some comedian did a routine about how the gov't would tax your dick
IBM and VISA are private industry.

And am I the only one who refuses to buy any of this IoT shit? I don't care how convenient it is if the damn thing is fundamentally insecure and will get turned into a bot drone to DDoS Krebs again a half hour after its connected to the web.

F this, F this in the A. "I" will decide when to replace my fanbelt, and who to buy it from. This might be ok for the idiocracy dopes out there, but they better have an opt out for those of us with two brain cells to run together.

Oh, and this is why I drive an '89 Toyota 4x4. Armaggedon! Haha that hamster bit always cracks me up!

IBM and VISA are private industry.

And am I the only one who refuses to buy any of this IoT shit? I don't care how convenient it is if the damn thing is fundamentally insecure and will get turned into a bot drone to DDoS Krebs again a half hour after its connected to the web.
You're not the only one. I don't see the need for all of my shit including the kitchen sink to be connected to the internet for a slight questionable increase in convenience.

I can watch movies and TV shows that show us a future with such interconnectivity but as I get older I'm realizing I'm kinda happy I'm not going to be around for such times. :)

Why dont you want to be around? If there was a way to live forever wouldnt you take it?

It’s all of that coming together that hopefully creates those magic moments,” says Jim McCarthy, executive vice president, innovation and strategic partnerships at Visa.

How is this a magic moment? :)

Its a magic moment for the people billing you. " Billgasm."

With license plate readers on the majority of stop signs in the area I work, I'm afraid that is already happening. It's for "security". Stupid rich people.

This has nothing to do with rich people, its being done in all sorts of areas. Its actually just stupid people who think its ok for the Govt to track them in exchange for a little perceived security.

Hmmm now that is something. I can imagine the news stories about teenagers cutting off part of their...

That is precisely the point - they dont want you to OWN anything. Havent you been paying attention to all the manufacturers trying to get around your right to repair things? Things lasting is bad for them (from their perspective).

It’s all of that coming together that hopefully creates those magic moments,” says Jim McCarthy, executive vice president, innovation and strategic partnerships at Visa.

It's magic for the people collecting the money.

It's all about making it easier to separate people from their money.
No thanks, no automatic payments for me. If I want something, I'll pull out my credit card or cash and pay for it.

Of course there is a simple solution for this, just don't connect the device to the internet. If it doesn't work if not connected, then return it.

That is precisely the point - they dont want you to OWN anything. Havent you been paying attention to all the manufacturers trying to get around your right to repair things? Things lasting is bad for them (from their perspective).

Which is why I'm happy to still using my 45+ year old drier. Just a few minor repairs (which I did myself) over the years.
Would still be using the washer I bought at the same time, except it started leaking a couple years ago, and it was impossible to replace the seal without destroying the parts becuase everything was rusted together.

Maybe I'm too old, but I prefer to buy stuff and fix it myself to keep using it as long as possible.

You guys are looking at this the wrong way. In the future you'll be able to earn credits for running these devices by merely watching advertising. Watch enough ads in a day and you can live for free!

Finally a new spin on the old 50's era "oh no, I ran out of gas just as I pulled my car with my date in the passenger seat into lover's lane" trick...

I'd be ok with it. Optional, very large discount vs. buying outright, able to "pay off" and take complete ownership, etc.. Some people might look at it like a lease.

I wouldn't do it, but I can see a market for it.

Because Visa will get a transaction charge every time one of these payments happens. Plus lots of specific use tracking data for sell to the highest bidder. Shareholders love transaction charge income. The data income is just extra money for special dividends.

My 1975 Chevy pickup looks better every time one of these tracking plans comes up. If I lower the tail gate, it even foils a lot of the license plate cameras.

dear ibm and visa

32e277556aa8e9bfa33261432c77ca901f72faf87ed17e7668373d05cbcd84d9.jpg

You guys are looking at this the wrong way. In the future you'll be able to earn credits for running these devices by merely watching advertising. Watch enough ads in a day and you can live for free!
Would it be entirely possible to get paid while bate'n?

Uhh.. Not happening, as much as I drive and as many places as i visit.. I would be broke in a week. As far as devices other than cars... no also. When I buy something, I buy it for the life of the device.. and i enjoy and hump it pretty hard till it dies. This pay for use shit sounds like a narcissistic control freaks wet dream.

Last edited:
Back