• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

i7 920 Running too HOT??

vjcsmoke

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Dec 5, 2006
Messages
4,511
I overclocked my i7 920 to 4.1 Ghz on my EVGA Classified.
I am now running Prime95 Blend test and I have Realtemp running at same time.
Here are my cpu temps:

Min:

67c 68c 63c 68c

Max:

97c 100c 89c 100c

Is this normal CPU temps for Prime95 Blend or is my CPU running too hot??
Thanks. I'm just a bit worried here!
 
Yup. I'm using a Scythe Mugen 2 cooler with the scythe included thermal paste.

So are these results normal or should I remount? Cos I don't really want to remount... LOL.

As soon as I turn off Prime95 my temps return to the following:

69c 70c 65c 71c
 
Last edited:
Those temps are definitely much higher than they should be. You're tripping the CPU's thermal throttling which will prevent you from being able to properly stress-test your CPU. Remount your cooler.
 
That's way, way too hot. 100 C is the limit but I would try to keep it under 85 C or so.
 
Before remounting. What volts are you at? Are you sure you OC'ed gradually?

i7s run hot but hitting 100 is too hot... I did get a 4.0GHz OC up to 92C in a closed case, but the others are right you're throttling, and this is probably not good for the chip in the long run.
 
I'm at 1.25v Vcore + 200mv VTT. That sounds alright?

I've got a Scythe Mugen 2 pushing air to the rear 140mm exhaust and my motherboard is inside a HAF932 so I think I've got airflow covered.
 
I'm at 1.25v Vcore + 200mv VTT. That sounds alright?

I've got a Scythe Mugen 2 pushing air to the rear 140mm exhaust and my motherboard is inside a HAF932 so I think I've got airflow covered.
Your volts should be fine, but your idle and load temps are way too high. You should idle around 35-45 degrees and your load temps shouldn't top 75-85. Something isn't right. Remount your cooler and see if that fixes things.
 
I have Mugen 2 and it doesn't run that hot. It is hot but not like that. I don't know what TP is Mugen 2 providing, but i used AS5 i had left over from the last build, and i used pea-sized drop in the center method. In the one screenshot i found when i was playing around with voltages and overclocks, at 3.99GHz with HT off temperatures maxed out at 78 degrees while running Prime95. I know HT will add some heat but not to shoot to 100. Sorry man, but it looks like you're going to have to remount your Mugen... I cringe when i think about doing that :(
 
You may want to try MX-2 or MX-3 TIM also, if your intent on sticking with the mugen paste, try a different application method, i've found that for different pastes sometimes more is less or less is more. AS5 less seems to be better. If you processor is convex or concave you may need to apply more thermal paste to achieve the same results.
 
vjcsmoke,

I was looking to purchase the same MB to pair with an i7 920 and I'd like to know if you have any gripes about this board. I've read the review here and on other sites but I'd still like to hear more about it from you if you don't mind.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I almost forgot to mention that from what I've read that's too hot. How does that HSF you are using compare to the COGAGE TRUE Spirit? I think Kyle mentioned he was going to use that in his personal rig and that's the one I want to purchase as well--it's small enough so that you don't lose the first dimm slot which is important to me because I would like 12GB ram and apparently it cools very well for its size. Am I right when I recall reading that mx-2 performed better than mx-3? Not sure where I got that idea...
 
Last edited:
Both your idle and load temps seem too high. My C0 @ 3.8GHz idles around 38-44*C and reaches 75-80*C at 100% load. What is your ambient temp?
 
I concur with others here. A remount is in order. You'll probably 10-20C difference. Also, don't overload the IHS with thermal paste. What you should do first is to see how the contact is taking a pea sized amount in the center of the IHS and putting your Heatsink over. You'll get an idea of how the paste is spreading. If you're using something think, then follow the Arctic Silver instructions, they seem to work well for me.

I truly believe that my 920 has a weird shaped IHS, as almost all other 920s in my same week batch, run tons cooler than my chip. My chip can clock high with 1.4+ volts, just like those I've seen on the net. Currently I have the fucker cooled down on water and idling at 40C and Loading at 75C at 4.0GHz using 1.35Vcore and VTT. I know some guys get that on air, but I'm not that lucky. I cringe at lapping this processor cuz my wallet was gouged during the D0 massacre for $300! I've paid more for a proc, but never again. hahahaha.... Sucks having to have it first.
 
I'd say a remount is in order for sure. I'm at 40c @ 4.0 w/ 1.25v and loaded 70c and I'm thinking that's high. That with a TRUE 120.
 
This may sound stupid, but it happens in rare cases... Did you peel off that protective film off the base of the Mugen? I read about one or two people forgetting about it in excitement while putting system together, and the temperatures are just like in your case, very high. Just one more tiny little thing that can slip under the radar ;).
 
vjcsmoke,

I was looking to purchase the same MB to pair with an i7 920 and I'd like to know if you have any gripes about this board. I've read the review here and on other sites but I'd still like to hear more about it from you if you don't mind.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I almost forgot to mention that from what I've read that's too hot. How does that HSF you are using compare to the COGAGE TRUE Spirit? I think Kyle mentioned he was going to use that in his personal rig and that's the one I want to purchase as well--it's small enough so that you don't lose the first dimm slot which is important to me because I would like 12GB ram and apparently it cools very well for its size. Am I right when I recall reading that mx-2 performed better than mx-3? Not sure where I got that idea...

Ok I'll respond to your question about the EVGA Classified first.

1. It's an oversized ATX motherboard (nearly EATX). So you will need a FULL tower case to make it fit. Maybe a HAF 922 Super-Mid at the very least. Make sure the depth of your case is at least 22 inches. It's currently residing in a HAF932 case which is roomy enough for it.

2. This motherboard overclocks like a champ. Just by browsing the EVGA forums and tweaking some bios settings, within minutes I had my i7 920 D0 overclocked to 4.2 Ghz. It remained stable long enough for me to validate with CPU-Z but BSODed 10-15 minutes later. I detuned to 4.1 Ghz and system looks stable now except for the heating issues. I'm thinking I just need to remount anyways, see above thread.

3. Be careful where you put your DDR3 sticks! I put them in the black slots and it wouldn't post. As soon as I put them in the red slots, everything worked perfectly. This stymied me for about 10 minutes until I figured it out and someone mentioned putting the memory in the red slots, LOL.

4. Overall impressions, worth every penny but keep the above stuff in mind. You are paying about $100 premium to get the best x58 mobo on the market.

5. As for heatsinks. The TRUE is better than the Scythe Mugen 2 with a high CFM fan. But the SM2 has a good quiet stock fan and runs only a few degrees hotter. Also the SM2 won't block the ram slots if mounted in the correct orientation (see picture). The main drawback to the SM2 is that mounting it is a lot of work. I don't know about the Cogage myself but I've heard that the mounting is not very secure so you might need to purchase a more secure mounting plate. I can say for sure that the SM2 has a very quiet fan in my personal experience so far.
http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=11&artpage=4104&articID=917

100_6214.jpg

I merely have to unclip the fan to get access to all 6 memory slots.

---------------

Everyone else, thanks for the feedback and responses. IT looks like I will remount the processor for sure later today. I just got some Shin Etsu x23 in the mail. So this thermal grease should be even better than the Scythe standard goo. Any tips on how to install the thermal grease? I'm thinking pea size application plus squish it with HSF?
 
Last edited:
I'd say a remount is in order for sure. I'm at 40c @ 4.0 w/ 1.25v and loaded 70c and I'm thinking that's high. That with a TRUE 120.

That's about what I'm getting. These temps are normal, but they also vary depending on the ambient temp. My ambient (SoCal) has been quite has as of late so I'm getting about 45*C idle.
 
Ok I'll respond to your question about the EVGA Classified first.

1. It's an oversized ATX motherboard (nearly EATX). So you will need a FULL tower case to make it fit. Maybe a HAF 922 Super-Mid at the very least. Make sure the depth of your case is at least 22 inches. It's currently residing in a HAF932 case which is roomy enough for it.

2. This motherboard overclocks like a champ. Just by browsing the EVGA forums and tweaking some bios settings, within minutes I had my i7 920 D0 overclocked to 4.2 Ghz. It remained stable long enough for me to validate with CPU-Z but BSODed 10-15 minutes later. I detuned to 4.1 Ghz and system looks stable now except for the heating issues. I'm thinking I just need to remount anyways, see above thread.

3. Be careful where you put your DDR3 sticks! I put them in the black slots and it wouldn't post. As soon as I put them in the red slots, everything worked perfectly. This stymied me for about 10 minutes until I figured it out and someone mentioned putting the memory in the red slots, LOL.

4. Overall impressions, worth every penny but keep the above stuff in mind. You are paying about $100 premium to get the best x58 mobo on the market.

5. As for heatsinks. The TRUE is better than the Scythe Mugen 2 with a high CFM fan. But the SM2 has a good quiet stock fan and runs only a few degrees hotter. Also the SM2 won't block the ram slots if mounted in the correct orientation (see picture). The main drawback to the SM2 is that mounting it is a lot of work. I don't know about the Cogage myself but I've heard that the mounting is not very secure so you might need to purchase a more secure mounting plate. I can say for sure that the SM2 has a very quiet fan in my personal experience so far.
http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=11&artpage=4104&articID=917

100_6214.jpg

I merely have to unclip the fan to get access to all 6 memory slots.

---------------

Everyone else, thanks for the feedback and responses. IT looks like I will remount the processor for sure later today. I just got some Shin Etsu x23 in the mail. So this thermal grease should be even better than the Scythe standard goo. Any tips on how to install the thermal grease? I'm thinking pea size application plus squish it with HSF?

wow holy heatsink batman!
 
That's about what I'm getting. These temps are normal, but they also vary depending on the ambient temp. My ambient (SoCal) has been quite has as of late so I'm getting about 45*C idle.

I guess technically my idle goes from about 39-44c with no load.
 
Regarding the Shin Etsu... I'm using it now and I can't really tell the difference between AS5 and Shin Etsu, except there's really no curing time. meaning you don't have to thermally cycle the stuff to get good performance. Numbers are the same as when I applied.
 
Ok i just finished a remount of the Mugen 2 with some help from my dad and a pea sized drop of Shin Etsu X23.
My idle temps are now reading:
48c 46c 46c 47c

That's like 20C cooler. So it's MUCH better! Gonna run some Prime95 blend and see how high it goes there.

Update:

When running Prime95 blend temps go up to the following maxes:

79c 84c 73c 85c

Not too bad and well within tolerances, I would think.

CPU-Z validated at 4.1Ghz now.
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=713695

SuperPi 32M Calcs passed. Total time: 9m 2.609 seconds.
i741ghzSuperPi32M.jpg

Core temps didn't go over 76c.

Yeah, I think we're good to go now. :)
 
Last edited:
Still a bit warmer than I'd be comfortable with personally, but thats well within spec and much more inline with what they should be.

I didn't do the spec of goo, I'm old school I spread it on. I just hate how the TRUE based HS'es are so sloppy on the CPU without a mod.
 
Ok i just finished a remount of the Mugen 2 with some help from my dad and a pea sized drop of Shin Etsu X23.
My idle temps are now reading:
48c 46c 46c 47c

That's like 20C cooler. So it's MUCH better! Gonna run some Prime95 blend and see how high it goes there.

Update:

When running Prime95 blend temps go up to the following maxes:

79c 84c 73c 85c

Not too bad and well within tolerances, I would think.

CPU-Z validated at 4.1Ghz now.
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=713695

SuperPi 32M Calcs passed. Total time: 9m 2.609 seconds.
i741ghzSuperPi32M.jpg

Core temps didn't go over 76c.

Yeah, I think we're good to go now. :)

Good stuff man. Seems like similar results to my C0 that I just put up for sale.

Please don't tell me you payed a price premium for thar d0 though.....
 
I would recommend that nail polish zalman paste. It's not the best of pastes, but the solution for applying the paste is far better then others. It doesn't cost much either. I got best temps when applying a layer of it on the cpu and the cooler, yes, both. It's important there is no air between your cooler and your cpu. Once you touch the surface of the cpu with the cooler, do not pull it back up. Vacuume is important! Although you can slide it a bit for the purpose of securing it on the board, but even that isn't recommended. You may lower your temps additional 10 C, like this.
 
Back
Top