i7 920: idle @ 99!?

Hey guys!

:) I know you've been bashing me for being dumb about cutting heat pipes, and yes, it was pretty stupid.
But I took your advice, got a new heatsink (CNPS10x Flex), and my idle temps are now at 48±2 ºC.
This definitely makes me feel much safer, but, is it still too high? I have two 120mm fans pushing air through the heatsink.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

-Ryan

We're not bashing you. We're thanking you for allowing us to cut up! It's no big deal. 42C seems high for no OCing at all. My idle temp right now at 3.8 and vCore (actual) at 1.36 idle is Core 0# 38. Are you doing any OCing right now? How did you mount your heat sink? If you're not OCing at all, then what type of case/ventilation are you using?

How long did you run that chip on a broken HSF for? I'd be glad to run stock speeds after putting it through that!

Hi guys,

I'm not OC-ing at all. Everything at stock.

"How did I mount my heatsink?" I don't really know what your question is.
I really just followed the instructions this time. I used Arctic Alumina as the thermal compound.

For "case/ventilation"...

The case I'm using is a Lian Li PC-C32A

The fans I'm using are Nexus 120mm PWM fans. They're currently running at the highest speed (2k rpm) right now, but their speeds will be controlled by the mobo CPU fan header once I get my Akasa PWM splitter.

Other than these two fans, I don't have any fans. (There were two case fans that came with the case, but I took them out because one was in the way of my long 8800GT, and the other was completely unnecessary since the two CPU fans were pushing air out the same direction. See pic here.) There are vents on the sides of the case towards the front that act as an air intake. The fans push air out to the back of the case. Two fans are used on each end of the heatsink to make it a 'push-pull' configuration.

-Ryan

I don't see any exhaust fans in that case. 50C at idle is hot, if you ask me, for a stock 920. Did you use a bolt through method or push pin to mount the fan?

That case is more like a media server case and not really set-up for cooling high performance components. Media servers are made to be quiet.

These chips do run a little toasty and yours is borderline OK at idle but what happens when stress testing or the ambient summer temps get here?

I like mine @ 32-35 at idle but you'll probably never get that low in that case. Shooting for low 40's would be realistic.

Another fan wouldn't hurt but I'm not sure how much it would help given that case's cooling configuration.

If it were me I'd be trying an additional fan.

I would try a dedicated exhaust fan. You need at least one good exhaust fan. Try a 120mm Gentle Typhoon. I also see NO entrance fans. You need ONE of those too, at least.

Hey guys!

:) I know you've been bashing me for being dumb about cutting heat pipes, and yes, it was pretty stupid.
But I took your advice, got a new heatsink (CNPS10x Flex), and my idle temps are now at 48±2 ºC.
This definitely makes me feel much safer, but, is it still too high? I have two 120mm fans pushing air through the heatsink.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

-Ryan

You are not the first person to do it if that helps any, I am with Doug and Hippie, an exhaust fan in the rear to help pull out warm air would do wonders I think but it is still going to run warm compared to our big cases. But yours looks xexey and thats always worth bonus points.

I also see NO entrance fans. You need ONE of those too, at least.

Look at the links for the case and show him where to put it.

I couldn't find one but maybe your imagination is better. :)

Same with exhaust fans; not really any place to put them without a hack.
I could put on entrance fans with zip-ties, I think. I'm really screwed for exhaust fans though. :(

wow. i have a media center case that my hsf wont fit in... and it NEVER crossed my mind to cut the heat pipes to make clearance... in fact, cutting the case top to fit, or drilling a couple small holes for the pipes to poke out of was my first though. damn dude.

Same with exhaust fans; not really any place to put them without a hack.

It's really not the end of the world and your idle temps are high but acceptable.

Do some stress testing and see what the load temps are.

I like mine @ mid 60's but I'm pretty sure you can go into the 80's with this chip and be OK and I think it shuts down/throttles back at 100.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Do a stress test and see where you are.

Do a blow hole mod. You can put a fan protector on the fan and when mounted will look like it came from the factory like that. You're good with hacksaws-just joking.

Just get another case. Cheap fix.

That's 72C with no OC.

Yeah buy another rack mount case so you have the same problem. Then send me one, just because I'm a nice guy.

Get the Cooler Master HAF full tower. Best case out there.

That's 72C with no OC.

Yeah buy another rack mount case so you have the same problem. Then send me one, just because I'm a nice guy.

Get the Cooler Master HAF full tower. Best case out there.

the 800D would like a word with you

Do a blow hole mod. You can put a fan protector on the fan and when mounted will look like it came from the factory like that. You're good with hacksaws-just joking.

Just get another case. Cheap fix.

HAHA, tooo funny!
Really people could list 20 good cases for you right now. You have to decide how much money you want to spend..then make sure you have enough room for your GPU and heatsink. Anything would be better than what you have...and just keep your hands off any saws...they make these things fit together with minimal effort. A lot of people get by with just a screwdriver...just don't be using it to make holes.

Last edited:
:( i need a rackmounted case, it's in a recording environment, there isn't space for a tower case.

Given that it's in a recording environment, I'm guessing you won't be overclocking it. If that is the case, your temps are fine. They're a little on the high side, so if you were going to overclock you'd want better cooling, airflow especially - you don't necessarily need a bunch of fans if the case is designed properly, but you do need decent airflow to keep cool air flowing over your heatsinks. If the wiring in your current case is messy, cleaning it up may help a lot.

Don't worry about getting a new case, those temps won't hurt anything. They're well within reasonable limits.

Neither of the cases you linked will fit in a standard 19 inch rack. Also, tower cases generally aren't designed to be placed in a rack, so they may have ventilation on the sides or top/bottom, which doesn't work in a rack.

OK so you're stuck with server case. But wait. Can you use a mid tower HAF 930? It will work fine on it's side.
If not, please try here:

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch_v3.asp?scriteria=BA25387
Front 1 x 120mm, optional rear 2 x 60mm, optional top 2 x 80mm

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch_v3.asp?scriteria=BA25388
Front 2 x 120mm, optional rear 2 x 60mm, optional top 2 x 80mm

This is a tower, but can fit in a rack I think:
http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=NA==

Nice case. Best cooling out of the rack mounts.

I do like that case though. It's neat looking, just not really a computer case.

OK the 800D is 300.00

The CM HAF 932 is 100.00 (I can't beleive how cheap that is.) My friend just got one. Excellent build quality and excellent design-wise!

http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=5363

PLus, the 800D is Fugly!

I like my 1/4" thick all aluminum CM Stacker 832 better than all of them:
http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=2704

WOTCHOO TALKIN' BOUT FOOO

800D is awesome, the HAF is a munter!

Oh Christ... 2Fast2Furious and Acer mated to produce that case.

Thanks guys. I may not want to shell out the extra cash for a new case. Someone did say I was in the relatively safe zone as long as I don't overclock.

Anyway, thanks again for all your help!

Ok, first the 800D is not ugly. Its goregous in its under stated minimalistic nature :). Second you can always get a slide out shelf for your rack. I personally do not like these, however they are a necessary evil sometimes. You can then just lay your tower down on the shelf and you are good to go.

http://www.server-rack-online.com/rack-mount-shelf.html

The shelf will take up an additional U of space, then just lay the tower on it.

Oh, and I know it is probably not something you want to do. However I would really like to see the hacksaw heatsink. :)

Ok, first the 800D is not ugly. Its goregous in its under stated minimalistic nature :). Second you can always get a slide out shelf for your rack. I personally do not like these, however they are a necessary evil sometimes. You can then just lay your tower down on the shelf and you are good to go.

http://www.server-rack-online.com/rack-mount-shelf.html

The shelf will take up an additional U of space, then just lay the tower on it.

I mentioned that above, but he said it wouldn't fit. I then said he should try a mid tower. <shrugs>

Oh, and I know it is probably not something you want to do. However I would really like to see the hacksaw heatsink. :)

Damn dude, I wouldn't mind showing it to you (I already got made fun of this much - more wouldn't matter much, right?) but I already threw it away.

If you're still curious, just imagine a regular heatsink that has six open copper pipes sticking out at the top instead of a nice plastic/metal end.

When I noticed my temps, I crimped them with a pair of needle-nose pliers, which then made the open copper pipes close up in an ugly line-like terminal. (I hope that made sense.)

Like I said, just fill the pipes about 1/4 full with gasoline, then seal them with JB weld.

Get a really long extension cord, like 100 feet.

Let Line pack rip!

This will be the coolest video on Youtube:

"Overclocked 920 blows up!"

An overlocked 920 isn't a space heater.

I have a better idea:

Go to a cleared off area, use a battery.

Overclocked Pentium D 805@ 4.0, do as above except fill the pipes all the way with gasoline, in a plastic case with no fans (but a window), 2 gtx 295s, and use water cooling, but instead take out the water and fill it with gasoline. Cover the outside of the box with oil and gasoline.

In order to keep it from dying quickly (although the gas cooling will probably keep it pretty decently cool), put a 24" x 24" plastic box filled with liquid nitrogen around it (make sure the plastic is thin enough that the liquid nitrogen will have time to vaorize before the gas can explode, causing a tremendous force. Cover the top of this box with oil and gas.

Basically, the computer box would be inside, in the middle, of a 24" by 24" box filled with liquid nitrogen.

Set a gun powder trail for about 100 feet, and turn on the machine for about 5 minutes. If it hasn't already exploded, light a match, run 200 feet back, and use a slr on zoom and upload to youtube.

Although personally, you may wanna have a camera set up already, and you yourself run back 500 feet, jump behind something/into a ditch, and wear protective gear.

Last edited:
Back