• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

i5 750 gaming build

Joined
Dec 10, 2007
Messages
50
Howdy everyone!

I have some store credit at Micro Center and I now have the opportunity to build an i5 750 gaming setup based on a $1400 budget.The TurboV on-the-fly OC software on the Asus board seems really nice. I should be able to get some nice performance specs with the GPU as well and will add a 2nd GTX 275 a little later when I have some more money saved up.

Any suggestions before I make the order? Do any of you recommend me change out any of the hardware for something else? Also, I have a spare 8800 GT GPU that I was thinking of adding as a dedicated PhysX card to support the GTX 275 :)

Here's the current build list:


Cooler Master HAF 922M (HAF Mini) ATX Case
$139.99

Thermaltake USA Inc Tr2 RX-850 850w Silent Gaming ATX Power Supply
$159.99

OCZ Technology Gold XTC 6GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL8 Memory Kit (Three 2GB Memory Modules)
$169.99

Asus Computer International P7P55D Deluxe Socket 1156 P55 Motherboard
$219.99

Cooler Master V8 Universal CPU Cooler
$59.99

BFG Technologies GeForce GTX 275 OC 896MB GDDR3 PCIe 2.0 Graphics Card
$224.99

Intel Corporation Core i5 750 Processor Boxed
$149.99

Arctic Silver Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound 12 gram tube
$19.99

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7,200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$104.99

Samsung OEM LightScribe 22x DVD±RW Burner with Dual/Double Layer Support OEM
$29.99

Thanks!

-Dave
 
My first question to you: do you have to get all of the parts from Microcenter? You can save some $ by getting some parts elsewhere (and there's also a better selection as well). Anyway, here goes...

Cooler Master HAF 922M (HAF Mini) ATX Case
$139.99

Good. This is more of a personal preference.

Thermaltake USA Inc Tr2 RX-850 850w Silent Gaming ATX Power Supply
$159.99

I would not choose this power supply. For that price, go with the Corsair 750HX or Corsair 850HX. If you don't need a modular PSU, the Corsair 850TX is a good choice. For a single-GPU setup, the Corsair 650TX will be enough.

OCZ Technology Gold XTC 6GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL8 Memory Kit (Three 2GB Memory Modules)
$169.99

You can save some money by going with this 6GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 kit.


Asus Computer International P7P55D Deluxe Socket 1156 P55 Motherboard
$219.99

Good.

Cooler Master V8 Universal CPU Cooler
$59.99

Good. Other units I would recommend are the Thermalright Ultra-120 (1156 bracket might not yet be available) or the Megahalems.

BFG Technologies GeForce GTX 275 OC 896MB GDDR3 PCIe 2.0 Graphics Card
$224.99

I'd probably go with the ATI Radeon 4890 over the GTX 275. Outperforms the GTX 275 in many cases and is less expensive/more power efficient.

Intel Corporation Core i5 750 Processor Boxed
$149.99

Good.

Arctic Silver Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound 12 gram tube
$19.99

I'd suggest Arctic Cooling MX-2/MX-3 over AS5. Also, do you really need a 12g tube? Usually 4g is more than enough.

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7,200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$104.99

Good. The new Samsung HD103UJ 1TB drives are reportedly quite fast with 2x500GB platters.

Samsung OEM LightScribe 22x DVD±RW Burner with Dual/Double Layer Support OEM
$29.99

Good.
 
I would go for an ati 5850 over the 4890 and 275. You really should buy parts from other places except for the processor. You can get a much better deal.
 
I have some store credit at Micro Center and I now have the opportunity to build an i5 750 gaming setup based on a $1400 budget.

How much store credit do you have at MC?

PC User's recommendations will provide you with significantly more value for the same cash. You will notice more of a performance increase with a faster GPU so to free up cash for the HD 5850, just drop the motherboard down to the next and cheaper Asus P55 Mobo in that line
 
Thanks for all of the quick replies! I have around 1200 bucks credit at MC. So I'll see if I can make some change outs as ya'll suggested and see if I can bring down the costs and up the performance a bit more.

Thanks again!!
 
Doesn't the memory have to be in pairs for best performance? Why 3 sticks instead of 4?

For dual-channel, multiples of 2. For triple channel, multiples of 3. In the OP's case, he would need 2 or 4 sticks for dual channel (1156).
 
I'd get the EVGA 132-LF-E655-KR at Micro it's $180 which is $20 cheaper than Newegg.
 
Howdy everyone!

I have some store credit at Micro Center and I now have the opportunity to build an i5 750 gaming setup based on a $1400 budget.The TurboV on-the-fly OC software on the Asus board seems really nice. I should be able to get some nice performance specs with the GPU as well and will add a 2nd GTX 275 a little later when I have some more money saved up.

Any suggestions before I make the order? Do any of you recommend me change out any of the hardware for something else? Also, I have a spare 8800 GT GPU that I was thinking of adding as a dedicated PhysX card to support the GTX 275 :)

Here's the current build list:


Cooler Master HAF 922M (HAF Mini) ATX Case
$139.99

Thermaltake USA Inc Tr2 RX-850 850w Silent Gaming ATX Power Supply
$159.99

OCZ Technology Gold XTC 6GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL8 Memory Kit (Three 2GB Memory Modules)
$169.99

Asus Computer International P7P55D Deluxe Socket 1156 P55 Motherboard
$219.99

Cooler Master V8 Universal CPU Cooler
$59.99

BFG Technologies GeForce GTX 275 OC 896MB GDDR3 PCIe 2.0 Graphics Card
$224.99

Intel Corporation Core i5 750 Processor Boxed
$149.99

Arctic Silver Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound 12 gram tube
$19.99

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7,200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$104.99

Samsung OEM LightScribe 22x DVD±RW Burner with Dual/Double Layer Support OEM
$29.99

Thanks!

-Dave

Case: Up to you
PSU: Stick with Corsair
Memory: Get a 4gb kit, that 6gb kit won't run in dual channel, atleast 2gb won't because you need to have paired sticks (2x2gb sticks, 4x2gb sticks, etc) Those 6gb kits are made for i7 triple channel systems.
Motherboard: Why such an expensive mobo? I5 is supposed to have cheaper motherboards than X58, no point in spending over $200.
CPU Cooler: There are better ones out there. Read some reviews of what people have suggest in this thread already.
GPU: I agree with one of the above posts to go with the HD4890 or to save up and get the 5850. I would lean more toward the 5850, amazing card for the money.
AS5: You don't need 12g of the stuff, not unless your replacing the TIM on every single part in like 5 different computers.
HD: Good, might want to look into spending a little and getting an SSD for boot/games.
DVD: Good

Otherwise seems like a good build, just take the advise that people are giving.
 
Back
Top