I want new 939 and want it soon

I and,I think others here,and elswhere are in a very similair situation,I can grab DDDR2 +E4300 and a cheap 965 mobo and get insane oc's and performance for little investment.
What would stop me ? Cheap 65nm chips I can throw in my current mobo...

http://www.overclockers.com/tips01079/

AMD better do something soon... Or they will lose me,I have three computers with AMD chips in them,all will or are being upgraded,Intel is looking very good right now,and its very
soon going to look like the only option for oc'ers.Ed has been hitting the nail on the head allot as of late.

AMD is shooting itself in the foot by not producing new 939's. The thought of have having to ditch all that 939 investment is leaving a very bad taste in my mouth.... :( :mad:

Disgruntled 939 user....

And they should be priced reasonably too.

What the remaining s939 X2s are selling for is stupidly expensive.

I'd rather switch completely than pay that for such an incremental improvement.

Bah, I wish this too my s939 brethren...

I have a X2 4400+ and a FX-60, and I know in a year or so, I shall fall in the lap of
the blue devil, thy name Intel...

Since AM2 cpus are just bloody s939 cpus with socket changes, AMD should
consider prolonging the s939 line up with cheap X2 and FX cpus and use their
main resources, not on AM2 or AM2+, but rather AM3 and 45nm process! :mad:

But the AMD is loosing its touch with us, as it acquired ATi and became
"DAAMIT", thinking its all that and a bag of potato chips :rolleyes:

I wish AMD would release some new 65nm chips for the 939 as well but sadly :eek: it's not going to happen. Hopefully the FX-60 I snagged cheap in the for sale forums will last me until AMD gets it together again. Now to try my hand at oc'ing it during the X-mas holidays. :cool:

I'm pretty happy with my Opty @ 2.7GHz

I haven't gamed with it yet, but I'm a proud owner of a 7950GT 512MB on December 25th.

I do wish there was some more chips coming through the pipeline, but remember that 754 was "dead" and then all the Venice chips popped up that had an easy time overclocking to 2.7+ because of the higher multipliers the 754s enjoyed and the plethora of crappy cheap 754 boards. I bought that $100 Newegg combo back in August with a $120 X850 Pro directly from ATi (that unlocked to 16 pipes and ran at XT+ speeds with a Zalman) and it gamed any game I wanted to at 1280x1024 with some AA/AF

For me, I have been an AMD supporter since the K5/K6. However, due to Intel going back to the drawing board and finding something that smacked AMD across the side of the head, I had to turn to the dark side.

Other things that kept me away from AM2 were memory divider issues, memory compatibility on some motherboards, defective cores, and other rubbish. I hate to say it, but AMD has lost this round in our current generation of processors from either company. Heck, the Kentsfield took the FX-74 to lunch and crapped on it in the same day. The Opteron 22xx's didn't do much better and eat more power than the Kentsfield.

So there will be no 65nm for 939? Are we sure on this?

For me, if I could pull close to 3GHz dual core on my 939 rig I would stick with that vs. new (Intel) mobo/ram/cpu... at least for the rest of 2007.

I mean, throw a 8800GTX in there (or whatever comes later down the pipe) and you won't be seeing a difference for 90% of the games to come.

If I knew I could pull a ~3GHz o/c out of a new s939 X2/Opty 65nm chip, my money would only go to the video card at that point.

I am no "overly loyal" user, I have always swapped back and forth depending on price and performance. A year and a half ago, the X2 was owning Intel's offerings, and until very recently, still was. Was being the operative word...

When I build a new platform in about 3-6 months, it will be C2D based, I doubt AMD is going to find a magic rabbit anytime soon....

My X2 at 2.6ghz is holding it's own pretty well still, and it will be passed to my son when I build a new one...

My brethren, we stand here at the hour of our demise. The writing is on the wall and it is not pretty.

I have bought what may very well be my last AMD chip for some time to come. I am thankful that this lil Opty 165 is the little chip that could. Going to the gym every day, eating right and working at 2.8 on air w/1.36v it is to be a role model to all other chips now looked upon as outcasts, sub-par and lacking that are branded with the scarlet number 939

I dread the days of a complete overhaul to DDR2 and a new proc and possibly a new heatsink. But I will be resisting the setting of this sun until the end of '07 me thinks.

Dear Santa,

All I want for X-mas is a new line-up of 939's. I know you can do it Santa.

I'm going to have to echo the thoughts of the majority here in that AMD is most likely not going to produce any more S939 processors. I grabbed one of ZZF's last Opty 165s and got a good one. No water cooling to really see what it can do, I'm too afraid of the temps above 2.7GHz to run it on air, I'm not quite as extreme as some. It was either that, or migrate my entire rig to Core2, and I believe I made the right choice.

To be honest, I never would've even migrated to an A64 platform if there was a S478 platform with PCI Express. My P4 2.4C will do 3.4+ stable with some voltage, but I'm running it at stock voltage right now. That rig is still fast enough for me to this day.

toddw said:
So there will be no 65nm for 939? Are we sure on this?
I'm 99% sure. AM2 was a pretty major chip redesign, and is where they're continuing to research. It's taking AMD a while to even move the AM2/DDR2 chips to 65nm, and they'd have to repeat pretty much the whole process for 939/ddr chips and wouldn't see much income from it. That integrated memory controller comes back to bite us on the ass.

Another factor is that amd are supply-constrained. I think they only have one fab producing 65nm chips right now, and it makes more sense for them to devote all of the output to AM2 chips. By the time they have more fabs able to produce 65nm chips, s939 will be dead.

Hopefully I'll have some time over christmas to see if I can get my 165 stable @ 2.7. Maybe a vid card upgrade in the new year and i should be good for a while.

I too hope that production continues on with the s939. 6-8 months ago, as a novice in this world. I built a new machine that I thought would be upgradeable for the foreseeable future. Money was not a huge concern, but I do like to watch the bottom line. So I low-balled my CPU with a 3700+.
I took the path of AMD s939 after reading all I could. And finding nothing really bad about this line of CPU's. I had also heard that AMD had something new in the works. I thought I will low ball my cpu purchase with hopes to get a "cheap" FX series s939, after some time had passed. HA...was I wrong. $600cad for an fx-60 today. By the time they come down in price I will never be able to find one.

Same boat here.

And no point paying the big bucks for an s939 as Conroe mobo and cpu prices continue to drop. Not to mention the overclocking potential of even the low end Allendales provide a worthy challenge.

Manny Calavera said:
I had a feeling this would be ignored,the truth is sometimes a hard pill to swallow.

"truth?" ever consider that maybe you're situation is unique, and that s939 is still a great option for people in different situations?

i have two low end s939 rigs right now. the goal when i bought my main rig, was BUDGET (i was unemployed) with the benefit of future upgrades. i just got a s939 4800x2 for $260 brand new to replace my 3000+. tell me how going conroe ($110mem + $110 mobo + $240 cpu = $460) was a better option for me? aside from the $200 i saved for a quick upgrade to a fast dual core, i'll also extend the life of my HTPC, which is running a 3200+. in 2 years, I'll just stick the 4800x2 in there, and my HTPC will continue to run 939 while i upgrade the main rig again to whatever's current.

i guess i'm always confused at the Intel versus AMD crap. WHO CARES?! buy whatever is the best for your situation, and the best price/performance for the period you're in, with at least one eye on the future for your next upgrade. who gives a shit if it's an AMD core or an Intel? SERIOUSLY!

:rolleyes:

I just picked up a nice Denmark Opteron, final 939 i'll have but it'll last me at least 2 years i think.

By that time I'll see what else is out there.

zero_vertical said:
"truth?" ever consider that maybe you're situation is unique, and that s939 is still a great option for people in different situations?

i have two low end s939 rigs right now. the goal when i bought my main rig, was BUDGET (i was unemployed) with the benefit of future upgrades. i just got a s939 4800x2 for $260 brand new to replace my 3000+. tell me how going conroe ($110mem + $110 mobo + $240 cpu = $460) was a better option for me? aside from the $200 i saved for a quick upgrade to a fast dual core, i'll also extend the life of my HTPC, which is running a 3200+. in 2 years, I'll just stick the 4800x2 in there, and my HTPC will continue to run 939 while i upgrade the main rig again to whatever's current.

i guess i'm always confused at the Intel versus AMD crap. WHO CARES?! buy whatever is the best for your situation, and the best price/performance for the period you're in, with at least one eye on the future for your next upgrade. who gives a shit if it's an AMD core or an Intel? SERIOUSLY!

How about this for a thought; does futureproofing mean anything to you? AMD is planning to axe Socket 939 as of next year. Once that is done, supplies on Socket 939 processors will dry up and the motherboard manufacturers will cease to produce motherboards for that socket. Say for i.e. that your motherboard or CPU die after that time-frame. Sure, you can RMA it up to the one year of purchase date, but then what? E-Bay shopping for used parts?

Yes, futureproofing may sound like an oxymoron, but at least the C2D will give you more longevity out of your hardware. You pay more to get more, it all comes down to that.

since most games cant take advantage of dualcore how much of a difference would I see from a 3000+ at 2.6 vs. a 165 @ 2.6 just to get some perspective here. I still like 939 I'm annoid am2 came out might as well just skipped it.

zero_vertical said:

You are missing the whole point here.
:(

It's like I'm stuck in s939 HELL :( It's so cheap to build a 939 rig, hell it even performs amazing. Too bad AMD axed the platform now there's nothing we can really do.

It's like the videocard upgrade process, every 6 months you just take a huge depreciation hit but you are forgetting you can still play today's games just fine.

MrSneis said:
It's like I'm stuck in s939 HELL :( It's so cheap to build a 939 rig, hell it even performs amazing. Too bad AMD axed the platform now there's nothing we can really do.
You think you’re in a bad position? I'm on s754 with an SLI motherboard!

Sure, I can run two 8800GTX's in SLI, but my single core Athlon 64 3400+ Venice at 2.7GHz would put a strangle hold on my frame rates.

Forget 65nm for 939, I want Athlon X2's for s754!

My system runs fast and is listed below. I do think I would get a little less lag on some things if I got a dual opteron processor. I just hate to spend $150 on this system when the intel chips are so much better. Of course I do not really want to replace the motherboard, ram and processor. I have no idea what to do. The best thing might be to just keep what i have. Maybe I could sell this processor for around $70 and then it would only be around $80 for a dual core.

fireluxx said:
How about this for a thought; does futureproofing mean anything to you? AMD is planning to axe Socket 939 as of next year. Once that is done, supplies on Socket 939 processors will dry up and the motherboard manufacturers will cease to produce motherboards for that socket. Say for i.e. that your motherboard or CPU die after that time-frame. Sure, you can RMA it up to the one year of purchase date, but then what? E-Bay shopping for used parts?

Yes, futureproofing may sound like an oxymoron, but at least the C2D will give you more longevity out of your hardware. You pay more to get more, it all comes down to that.

roll your eyes all you want, but i mentioned future proofing as an important factor in the very post you quoted.

zero_vertical said:
buy whatever is the best for your situation, and the best price/performance for the period you're in, with at least one eye on the future for your next upgrade.

zv

gplracer said:
My system runs fast and is listed below. I do think I would get a little less lag on some things if I got a dual opteron processor. I just hate to spend $150 on this system when the intel chips are so much better. Of course I do not really want to replace the motherboard, ram and processor. I have no idea what to do. The best thing might be to just keep what i have. Maybe I could sell this processor for around $70 and then it would only be around $80 for a dual core.

If it is doing everything you want/need it to do at the moment there is no reason to upgrade, unless of course you can score a dual core for dirt cheap. Save your money with an eye on future equipment and when your present system isn't satisfying your needs anymore then go ahead and splurge. Upgrading just for the sake of upgrading (because everyone else is doing it) only costs you $$$ which you could be saving toward a much better system a little later on.

The Gonz said:
Dear Santa,

All I want for X-mas is a new line-up of 939's. I know you can do it Santa.

Sorry, the elves built Santa an X6800 system to keep his Naughty and Nice database on. Santa just signed an endorsement contract with Intel. Rudolph now sports an Intel Logo on his nose. :p

I'd be nice of AMD to introduce NEW s939 chips... we can only hope... like the 754 crowd did.

My next system will be with whichever product will perform better... (in an overclocked state, as I overclock everything). Hopefully, my Opty 170 @ 3GHz will keep me pacified for some time to come. :D

markintosh13 said:
And they should be priced reasonably too.

What the remaining s939 X2s are selling for is stupidly expensive.

I'd rather switch completely than pay that for such an incremental improvement.

Think that's bad, looked at AthlonXPs lately?

Donnie27 said:
Think that's bad, looked at AthlonXPs lately?

Not really. Looked at replacing the wife's 2100+ with a 266 fsb 2500+/2800+ last year, then figured it just wasn't worth the bother. Just looked on Ebay - there's nothing.

markintosh13 said:
Not really. Looked at replacing the wife's 2100+ with a 266 fsb 2500+/2800+ last year, then figured it just wasn't worth the bother. Just looked on Ebay - there's nothing.

One place has 2600+ 266 FSB for $197 LOL! Funny as crap as one site was selling a whole Computer with a Sempron 3000+, 512MB of RAM, 80GB HDD and WinXP Home for $199 right next to it:) There was a similar deal on a 3GHz P4 and another with a Pentium D for $229 it just doesn't pay to pour money in an old system:(

I think I'm going to order the AsRock from Newegg, its about $48. We are checking out a bud's parts bin first though.

Unknown-One said:
You think you’re in a bad position? I'm on s754 with an SLI motherboard!

Sure, I can run two 8800GTX's in SLI, but my single core Athlon 64 3400+ Venice at 2.7GHz would put a strangle hold on my frame rates.

Forget 65nm for 939, I want Athlon X2's for s754!

Now you're talking! :p

Opty 165 @ 2.5 Here. Does way the hell more than I ask of it.

Not going conroe until Q207 when the price drops hit. Motherboards are almost exactly the same as when they came out, too. Being an early adopter is expensive.

waaaahhhh waaaahhhh waahhh!!!

cry me a river. Get over it, pull your head out your ass people. Socket 939 is dead. Fact. simple fact. Get over it, and get used to it. Move on. Stop crying and moaning about something that aint gonna happen.

I want ford to fix my car for free! I want the governement to pay my wage. I want the city to pave the roads in pork. I want everything given to me on a golden platter......

Please people pull your heads out.

duby229 said:

cry me a river. Get over it, pull your head out your ass people. Socket 939 is dead. Fact. simple fact. Get over it, and get used to it. Move on. Stop crying and moaning about something that aint gonna happen.

I want ford to fix my car for free! I want the governement to pay my wage. I want the city to pave the roads in pork. I want everything given to me on a golden platter......

feel better now? :rolleyes:

topaimz said:
who shoved a pickle up yourarse? :rolleyes:

If the pickle tickles :D

I'm saying stop crying about it. I want a platform independent riser, something like HTX. I've been saying this for years, but it ain't gonna happen. Neither is new 939 products.

Never say "never." They did it with the s754 90 nm parts so the precedent is there, but odds are they probably won't since, as has been said elsewhere, fab space will be needed for AM2 and beyond. Still...we'll just have to wait and see. It just goes to show that there is still some enthusiast base out there that still likes s939. I can identify with them since I still have not migrated past s754 myself. I don't mind being in the backwaters of the computing world. :cool:

I have been an AMD fan since I got my DX4/100. We have all been spoiled by by the Athlon socket A that stayed around for so many years. Before the socket A every time you upgraded it was a new Motherboard/Processor and Ram. It looks like we may be going back to that. Don't upgrade just build new and donate the old computer to a relative or friend that needs one (or sell it to offset your new system).

Shrug.

My mobo has a cpu add in card option to go AM2 and DDR2.

Just not sure that there's much point to doing so.

I just bought an Opteron 170 to upgrade my 146. Should do me for a while.

939 is probably my favorite AMD product line.

duby229 said:

Another person who needs glasses :D All I'm asking for,is for AMD to throw me a bone here,not much...Did you read the links in my last two threads ?? Ed hit the nail on the head bigtime,He is clearly correct in his observations,AMD is shooting itself in the foot,and dancing through a mind field.

They are turning there back on people that help sell allot of systems.I get allot of people (friends,family,etc) asking me advice on what to buy for there next computer.Just today,I 'advised' three seperate 'buyers' in a local and very popular shop,to go Intel.I am sure many in this thread are in the same position as I am,considered the family 'expert',you know what I mean duby229 :)

Manny Calavera said:
Another person who needs glasses :D All I'm asking for,is for AMD to throw me a bone here,not much...Did you read the links in my last two threads ?? Ed hit the nail on the head bigtime,He is clearly correct in his observations,AMD is shooting itself in the foot,and dancing through a mind field.

They are turning there back on people that help sell allot of systems.I get allot of people (friends,family,etc) asking me advice on what to buy for there next computer.Just today,I 'advised' three seperate 'buyers' in a local and very popular shop,to go Intel.I am sure many in this thread are in the same position as I am,considered the family 'expert',you know what I mean duby229 :)

No your asking them to throw money down the toilet, and to screww all the suppliers, distributors, and system builders they deal with...

Your asking them to cripple there market position.

And it aint gonna happen. DDR should have been fully replaced more then two years ago. If AMD hadnt been late on DDR2 this would have long been done and over with. The fact is that AMD was late with DDR2 and in order to catch up, and make the partners they deal with happy, they need to drop DDR, and they need to do it now.

939 is dead. get used to it.

Back