I\O Plates missing question

Outlaw85

[H]ard|Gawd
What is everyone doing with them that they do not have them when selling the motherboard?

I was looking through the FS/T section (not just here) and was thinking "that is a running build in the picture and in a case, where is the plate?"

I know the plate isn't required, but is a pet peeve when it's not with the board (Probably borderline OCD). Does this bother others like it does me? I don't take it up with the seller, I just move on to the next listing and I would only buy a no plate board if I can get the plate for cheap or the board itself was a great deal. It was something I think to myself and wondered if anybody else was like this?

In 90% of builds that Ive made I never end up putting it in and often I end up losing them lol... but I'm just not very orginized and have around 30 motherboards right now. To me they are purely cosemetic and I really don't spend a lot of time looking at the back of my case lol.

I completely agree. I just dumped ~8 boards myself and also do not look at the back of my PC very often. It was always one of those things to me that felt like it wasn't a finished build without it. Like building a car and leaving out the carpet. It has multiple functions, the total of them is minimal at best but it just isn't complete without it.

I''ve built hundreds of PC and everyone get's an I/O plate. New, used or donated, they get the I/O plate.

What is everyone doing with them that they do not have them when selling the motherboard?

I was looking through the FS/T section (not just here) and was thinking "that is a running build in the picture and in a case, where is the plate?"

I know the plate isn't required, but is a pet peeve when it's not with the board (Probably borderline OCD). Does this bother others like it does me? I don't take it up with the seller, I just move on to the next listing and I would only buy a no plate board if I can get the plate for cheap or the board itself was a great deal. It was something I think to myself and wondered if anybody else was like this?

In 90% of builds that Ive made I never end up putting it in and often I end up losing them lol... but I'm just not very orginized and have around 30 motherboards right now. To me they are purely cosemetic and I really don't spend a lot of time looking at the back of my case lol.

I have built systems with used boards that have been missing the backplate.

However, they are not just cosmetic. They are a strain relief of sorts. If you somehow catch on a cord that is plugged in, you don't really have to worry about ripping the whole plug off of the board like is possible with the backplate missing.

It also keeps the plugs steady when removing/plugging in devices. Over time without the backplate, the solder joints for the plugs can become weakened and crack from the slight flexing every time a cord is pulled on, removed, or plugged in.

I wouldn't buy or sell a board here without an I/O plate and you'd never see a build of mine without one. They also provide a measure of ESD protection.
If the seller has a 'Devil May Care' attitude about missing parts you can bet your life the board he's selling also has bent pins, is filthy dirty and has scraped traces on the back !

Last edited:
I would return any motherboard provided to me without one unless specifically advertised as not having one ("board only" also counts as being advertised as not having one). I don't otherwise care if they didn't advertise having one.

I'd do a Paypal claim if necessary.

People on Ebay are asses about it and sell them for ~$20.

Why would you ever go without one? The dust, and ESD issues that could arise from it.. I guess if you're going to put it in one spot that's not dust prone and aren't going to ever move it or attach stuff to the back it might be fine... But it leaves so much exposed.

Yes, it bugs me as well. I'm less concerned (but will still look at how much a replacement I/O shield costs because I have to have it) if it's something akin to an open box deal rather than a used daily driver.

I suppose if I were buying a board that's been in a decently environmentally controlled datacenter, I'd also not be too concerned about the missing I/O shield.

Could be they bought the board refurbished or open box. I got an open box board that didn't come with one.

Why would you ever go without one? The dust, and ESD issues that could arise from it.. I guess if you're going to put it in one spot that's not dust prone and aren't going to ever move it or attach stuff to the back it might be fine... But it leaves so much exposed.

+1

Not having the back plate is ghetto. Another thing I can't stand is missing PCI slot covers on a case. Dust kills.

Almost all of my systems have them, save for a few of them where I lost the panels >__>

Seeing as how I blow my systems out every few months, I see it as a non-issue...

+1

Not having the back plate is ghetto. Another thing I can't stand is missing PCI slot covers on a case. Dust kills.

Sadly on some cases even if you have the cover in place stuff can get in as they've cheaped out and used ones with big holes in them.

Back