I killed my machine?

Its the least they can do. They assured me it would work and were like dude if you leave now it will be gone next time you come here(which is true) but they could have looked up my specs and been like dude i can't sell that to yo uand less you get a new psu. I would have understanded because i was the one skeptical. Of course this is frys and the majority of workers have no clue. Some guys know whats up but like 95% really dont know.

I mean i came back and bought a new psu the very next day. The difference was it was now too late and I have to recoup the damage..... Oh well not much I can do know. I'm gonna o there sunday with all my equipment in my card and going to their customer service with card and hand and explain the situation to a supervisor who wont have a clue what i'm talking about. He will just know i spent a lot of money and im not satisfied because shit is broke.
 
Its the least they can do. They assured me it would work and were like dude if you leave now it will be gone next time you come here(which is true) but they could have looked up my specs and been like dude i can't sell that to yo uand less you get a new psu. I would have understanded because i was the one skeptical. Of course this is frys and the majority of workers have no clue. Some guys know whats up but like 95% really dont know.

I mean i came back and bought a new psu the very next day. The difference was it was now too late and I have to recoup the damage..... Oh well not much I can do know. I'm gonna o there sunday with all my equipment in my card and going to their customer service with card and hand and explain the situation to a supervisor who wont have a clue what i'm talking about. He will just know i spent a lot of money and im not satisfied because shit is broke.

Well if it makes you feel any better , when I bought my 4870x2 from them the first one I brought home was DOA but they wanted to test it and make sure it wasn't my system so I brought it in , the tech installed the card .. booted up my system and nothing but post beeps and power going through. He put in some crappy low end card and it booted fine , then he put the 4870x2 in a test system they had setup (so they could test each video card they were returning before hand since most people just get buyers remorse). After it didn't work in the test system he called the supervisor and got him to process my return and within 10 mins I had my new 4870x2.
 
Well if it makes you feel any better , when I bought my 4870x2 from them the first one I brought home was DOA but they wanted to test it and make sure it wasn't my system so I brought it in , the tech installed the card .. booted up my system and nothing but post beeps and power going through. He put in some crappy low end card and it booted fine , then he put the 4870x2 in a test system they had setup (so they could test each video card they were returning before hand since most people just get buyers remorse). After it didn't work in the test system he called the supervisor and got him to process my return and within 10 mins I had my new 4870x2.
Lol that happened to my dad awhile back. On the mobo he got you could set the fsb with a jumper. It worked on the slower setting but wouldnt post with the faster fsb. They hooked that thing up came back and told us it worked. So I was like set the jumper to the faster fsb and see what happens. Came back and it obviously didnt post. They do that so they arent out money. Honestly i would love them to test my card and see if it still works. But while they are doing that they might as well check all my other components i bought from them that the fermi/psu killed :)
 
Lol that happened to my dad awhile back. On the mobo he got you could set the fsb with a jumper. It worked on the slower setting but wouldnt post with the faster fsb. They hooked that thing up came back and told us it worked. So I was like set the jumper to the faster fsb and see what happens. Came back and it obviously didnt post. They do that so they arent out money. Honestly i would love them to test my card and see if it still works. But while they are doing that they might as well check all my other components i bought from them that the fermi/psu killed :)

side note: if you want them to test stuff you bought from them, bring receipts! the tech wont know or care if you simply tell them that you bought it there and if you didnt, they will most likely as for a check-up fee. its to cover their own asses on ur equipment.

if you cant find ur receipts.. go to cust. serv. dept and ask them to make a copy from ur cc transaction (assuming you used cc)
 
I'm sorry, who gives you this information? Coolermaster makes crappy PSUs and in retrospect it's no surprise that your system went down in flames when you attempted to plug a power hungry GTX 480 into it.

What's your basis for that?

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story3&reid=52

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=134

jonnyguru is probably one of the most respected and knowledgable pure PSU focused reviewers who has been doing this for a long time. He has given a lot of coolermaster PSUs high marks.
 
From what I'm hearing about Fry's, why do you shop there? They are so strict on their return policies.
 
What exactly do you mean by "strict" return policies?

Just what has been said so far in this thread on the last page about them testing your hardware in their own hardware before allowing a return. I'm not in the US so I've never been in a Fry's.

From the places I shop, I've never been questioned on a return or had the product tested before I was allowed my money back.
 
Just what has been said so far in this thread on the last page about them testing your hardware in their own hardware before allowing a return. I'm not in the US so I've never been in a Fry's.

Generally their return policies and return practices are rather loose in my experience. I've had them take back motherboards, power supplies, RAM, etc without testing a single thing.
 
Yeah, Fry's is anything but strict.

There has been a joke for a long time about the "Fry's rental." Once upon a time I seriously saw a website looking for reviewers with one of the requirements being "familiarity with the Fry's return process."
 
Well i'm going to frys tomorrow. I cant seem to find my receipt for the cpu and motherboard combo i bought there. I did put it all on my card and I do still have the original boxes and packing. So they should be able to verify my purchases. Hopefully minimal damage was caused(just the motherboard died) and they can perhaps replace it.... We shall see. I'll let you guys know.
 
Well i'm going to frys tomorrow. I cant seem to find my receipt for the cpu and motherboard combo i bought there. I did put it all on my card and I do still have the original boxes and packing. So they should be able to verify my purchases. Hopefully minimal damage was caused(just the motherboard died) and they can perhaps replace it.... We shall see. I'll let you guys know.

Maybe they have your name on file?

If not, the motherboard should have warranty too.
 
Ok I ended up finding the receipt for my motherboard/cpu purchase. Frys is big on the receipt so hopefully this is the trump card I need.
 
Ok so i took my equipment to frys. After some free diagnostics they found my moherboarsd was the only thing that died. Both videocards, my processor and memory were safe. They gave me store credit from my original cost of the motherboard to buy a new one. So I get a new mobo come home my comp is posting but it appears the remaining 2 hard drives are dead as well as my dvd-r drive. They are not posting, but I dont smell anything or hear any funky noise. The power led on my case seems to be dead as well as my usb keyboard. So now I need a new hard drive and dvd-rw. All the hd's and disc drives laying around are all ide.
 
Ok so i took my equipment to frys. After some free diagnostics they found my moherboarsd was the only thing that died. Both videocards, my processor and memory were safe. They gave me store credit from my original cost of the motherboard to buy a new one. So I get a new mobo come home my comp is posting but it appears the remaining 2 hard drives are dead as well as my dvd-r drive. They are not posting, but I dont smell anything or hear any funky noise. The power led on my case seems to be dead as well as my usb keyboard. So now I need a new hard drive and dvd-rw. All the hd's and disc drives laying around are all ide.

Nice! :D Then you are soon back on track again!
 
Back
Top