I just want a new GPU...

alxlwson

You Know Where I Live
...that isn't "old" and still above MSRP from launch. This shit is completely ridiculous. I've never had a problem finding a thing I want to spend money on. I just refuse to spend nearly $800 on a 1080ti. Would love to have an AMD card because my monitor is FreeSync, but I guess a Vega64 is not much of an upgrade from my heavy OC 980ti.
So I'm stuck not being able to spend money that I have on what I want. #two

/rant

You can get a Founder's Edition 1080 ti from Nvidia.com for $699.

Otherwise, $800 is and was pretty typical for an AIB 1080 ti.

(a buddy of mine scooped up an MSI 1080 ti Gaming before all the price hikes/ crypto nonsense, and I believe he spent around $850 out the door etc)

You can get a Founder's Edition 1080 ti from Nvidia.com for $699.

Otherwise, $800 is and was pretty typical for an AIB 1080 ti.

(a buddy of mine scooped up an MSI 1080 ti Gaming before all the price hikes/ crypto nonsense, and I believe he spent around $850 out the door etc)

Out of stock.

But it's not so much the price, but that it's the price and the age of the card

Evga still has sales on cards from time to time. Watch their store. In the past two weeks I've seen the SC Black Edition and SC2 Gaming for $750 + shipping (usually around $20, sometimes it's less or even free). Yes, they were actually in stock, too. Just stay away from the DT versions - they are failed-to-clock-at-spec cards no matter what category Evga puts them into.
https://www.evga.com/products/produ...=GeForce+10+Series+Family&chipset=GTX+1080+Ti

But it's not so much the price, but that it's the price and the age of the card
Yeah I know. The market is stagnant with no new high-end competition and there is still relatively high demand for it. Pay. Or don't.

There is an eBay deal going on now and GPUs from Newegg have been selling under MSRP all day...

I feel you. Though the prices have come down from their high a few months ago, they remain inflated.

I got my GTX 1060 6GB for ~$170 before the cryptocraze took off. I guess I should consider it money well spent?

Reactions: atom
like this
I still rock an r9 280x. The 290 and 290x looked great, but at the time my 280x was still doing fine for my needs. I am not an NVidia guy, if I was I definitely would have upgraded. Out came things like the 380, 380x, which were probably slower than what I already had. The Fury cards were too expensive. Then the 400 series, and now the 500 series, yeah they are faster but not worth the money for the amount of improvement I get. I almost got a 480 when they were like $150 but I hesitated as the forums keep saying "Keep waiting for... ...just you wait ...such and such will blow everything away." Well Vega is out and I'd be better off getting a 1070 than a Vega 56.

Nah, my CPU needs an upgrade too I'll do that instead.

slickdeals.net has front page deals on 1070ti and 1080 lately.
Currently has a new 1080 for $434. You will see deals on these cards next 3 months as they unload stock before new release.
I plan to buy a used 1080 or 1080ti after everyone else upgrades to the newer cards.

The 1080ti... I'm just not sure it is a good investment for me. My monitor is 3840x1600@75Hz and Freesync. Even at MSRP pricing, I don't think it's enough of a performance upgrade over my 980ti @1400/8000. More than happy to be wrong if anyone wants to enlighten me.
I guess that I'm ultimately going to have to wait for the next gen to show up. It'd be nice if AMD brought something soon so I could take advantage of the Freesync.

Are you happy with that monitor? I game at 3840x2160@60hz and 1920x1080@180hz and my OC'd 1070 has been fine.

What games do you play that need more performance? I do not max out settings, but you may.

I also think deals will get better as time goes on, in the near future. MSI Vega 56 on EBay Newegg for $457, OC clocked version about $10 more, both reference with a better ported exhaust is pretty good at this time. If next generation Nvidia is going to be way higher in price, I am not sure it will be worth waiting if one wants a gaming card now at a decent price.

Are you happy with that monitor? I game at 3840x2160@60hz and 1920x1080@180hz and my OC'd 1070 has been fine.

What games do you play that need more performance? I do not max out settings, but you may.

I love this monitor! Fallout 4 and Kingdom Come: Deliverance are two games I play quite a bit of. I had to turn too much down when I went to this monitor. FO4 wasn't hugely effected, but KCD is a beast of a game and I had to turn a ton of options down just to keep it over 30.

I also think deals will get better as time goes on, in the near future. MSI Vega 56 on EBay Newegg for $457, OC clocked version about $10 more, both reference with a better ported exhaust is pretty good at this time. If next generation Nvidia is going to be way higher in price, I am not sure it will be worth waiting if one wants a gaming card now at a decent price.

Yeah, mid and low cards have been falling. However, that's not the performance tier that I'm looking for. I may pick a 1060 up and toss in the T30 for video encoding, though.

The 1080ti... I'm just not sure it is a good investment for me. My monitor is 3840x1600@75Hz and Freesync. Even at MSRP pricing, I don't think it's enough of a performance upgrade over my 980ti @1400/8000. More than happy to be wrong if anyone wants to enlighten me.
I guess that I'm ultimately going to have to wait for the next gen to show up. It'd be nice if AMD brought something soon so I could take advantage of the Freesync.

Keep in mind the 1080ti overclocks REALLY well, you're talking 15-20% improvements over an already ridiculously fast card. Currently running a MSI 1080ti that came with a full cover EKWB. It maintains 2100mhz without issue.

Still though, without working VRR you're going to notice those frame drops. Definitely go with a Vega over a GTX, even a 1080Ti isn't going to max that res with 75FPS mins...

Keep in mind the 1080ti overclocks REALLY well, you're talking 15-20% improvements over an already ridiculously fast card. Currently running a MSI 1080ti that came with a full cover EKWB. It maintains 2100mhz without issue.

Have to do any manual OC or is that the boost clocks doing their thing?

Still though, without working VRR you're going to notice those frame drops. Definitely go with a Vega over a GTX, even a 1080Ti isn't going to max that res with 75FPS mins...

That has really been my thought. I was hoping to get rid of some heat in my small office by going Pascal instead of VEGA. Lol No word on new AMD stuff this year though, is there?

Last edited:
Since you have a Freesync monitor already why don't you try a Vega 64 card? I think you will be pleasantly surprised by how good gaming is on that setup.

Since you have a Freesync monitor already why don't you try a Vega 64 card? I think you will be pleasantly surprised by how good gaming is on that setup.

Perhaps I should. Need to find one with a full cover block.

There is no problem with waiting IMHO. You are still getting incredible value for your purchase :)

I want the power of a GTX 1080 for $300 or less in a new card but I'm still stuck with my GTX 1060 6Gb that I thankfully paid $260 for before the crypt-currency craze started two years ago. Ugh. Guess I'm gonna have to wait some more :)

I want the power of a GTX 1080 for $300 or less in a new card but I'm still stuck with my GTX 1060 6Gb that I thankfully paid $260 for before the crypt-currency craze started two years ago. Ugh. Guess I'm gonna have to wait some more :)

Yeah, bought the wife's EVGA SC 1060 before the hoopla as well.

Why not look here in the for sale forum? People are selling their 1080 ti around 650-700 for after market ones. Bought one here no issues. If you go with msi Asus or gigabyte, there shouldn't be an issue with warranty either.

Why not look here in the for sale forum? People are selling their 1080 ti around 650-700 for after market ones. Bought one here no issues. If you go with msi Asus or gigabyte, there shouldn't be an issue with warranty either.

That's even worse. The prices are too inflated. Not paying $700 for used year old tech.

sadly at that resolution, with a freesync monitor, you will have to wait for another generation of high-end card to jump in the AMD fence, your 980ti at 1500mhz should be near GTX 1080 performance which is the same ballpark of vega64, it will improve noticeable your gaming experience? yes because of freesync, and a little bump in performance if you WC it and keep in the 1600 - 1700mhz range but will be nothing earthshattering.

sadly at that resolution, with a freesync monitor, you will have to wait for another generation of high-end card to jump in the AMD fence, your 980ti at 1500mhz should be near GTX 1080 performance which is the same ballpark of vega64, it will improve noticeable your gaming experience? yes because of freesync, and a little bump in performance if you WC it and keep in the 1600 - 1700mhz range but will be nothing earthshattering.

Right, and I know this. At the same time, I'm ok spending less for less on the V64 if I can find one with a block already on it

Right, and I know this. At the same time, I'm ok spending less for less on the V64 if I can find one with a block already on it

I think honestly the Vega64 vanilla doesn't worth the price over Vega56 + Water block, it doesn't offer huge performance boost, and typically the Vega56 will overclock better offering on par or even better performance at better thermals and more sane power consumption if you care about it.

That's even worse. The prices are too inflated. Not paying $700 for used year old tech.

Well then I guess you have to stick with your 980 ti. Enjoy what you have and use it for another year and patience might pay off. I mean there is no point getting anything at this stage other than some new cards for that you are just gonna have to wait it out.

Well then I guess you have to stick with your 980 ti. Enjoy what you have and use it for another year and patience might pay off. I mean there is no point getting anything at this stage other than some new cards for that you are just gonna have to wait it out.

Yep. This was, after all, a rant thread from the start. I have zero plans to buy a new GPU until at the earliest August. Unless nVidia's offering is earth shattering, even then I may wait for AMD solution for Freesync.

Can you bench KCD at close to my res at ultra settings, no AA?

I am not really sure about 20% number. It already boosts above boost clocks as long as it stays under tdp. Around 1750-1800. Mine with power slider to Max boosts to 1975 on its own. So yeah under water you could get 200-2100. I can get around 2025 or so. I have evega ftw3 on air. So from stock boost it's around 10% or so average.

I am not really sure about 20% number. It already boosts above boost clocks as long as it stays under tdp. Around 1750-1800. Mine with power slider to Max boosts to 1975 on its own. So yeah under water you could get 200-2100. I can get around 2025 or so. I have evega ftw3 on air. So from stock boost it's around 10% or so average.

Not to mention 20% moar clocks =/= 20% moar fps

Can you bench KCD at close to my res at ultra settings, no AA?

just search for 4K results on the web.. and add about 15 - 20% extra performance, and thats how it should perform in your monitors, there's about 2mpixels from 3840x1600 to 3840x2160

Last edited:
I don't think it is going to be August for new cards from Nvidia. More like December. But that will depend on how fast they can sell of all that over stock of cards they have right now.

I don't think it is going to be August for new cards from Nvidia. More like December. But that will depend on how fast they can sell of all that over stock of cards they have right now.

We don't even know what model those GPU's are.

Your wishful thinking is not going to do anything. Nvidia lack of competition is going to make them wait. And you not knowing what model cards they are means nothing.

Your wishful thinking is not going to do anything. Nvidia lack of competition is going to make them wait. And you not knowing what model cards they are means nothing.

remember when intel didn't have competition?

maybe amd has a threadripper class gpu up it's sleeve and just waiting to drop it on the market.

perhaps they are waiting for nvidia to release something first.

remember when intel didn't have competition?

maybe amd has a threadripper class gpu up it's sleeve and just waiting to drop it on the market.

perhaps they are waiting for nvidia to release something first.

That doesn't matter to me for I am a Intel/Nvidia person. AMD can release all they want and I won't buy any of it.

Back