I just want a new GPU...

Many years ago I use to use AMD but they failed bad. Intel is way better and Nvidia way better. Cost means nothing if you want performance.

Many years ago I use to use AMD but they failed bad. Intel is way better and Nvidia way better. Cost means nothing if you want performance.

If resources aren't a problem for you, back up your claims, lets see your rig.

Why AMD dude? Pictures of my rig in my sig. Including a picture of my Intel SSD 750 Series PCIE - 1.2tb.

riga.jpg

rigb.jpg

Last edited:
Intel, AMD, and Nvidia will all screw up at some time. There is no safe choice in the long term.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I was able to pick up a 1070 Ti for $390. Hopefully I can get close to $200 for the 980 I have now and make up the difference.

Your wishful thinking is not going to do anything. Nvidia lack of competition is going to make them wait. And you not knowing what model cards they are means nothing.

What wishful thinking are you talking about?
Yes, I know not knowing what model gpu means nothing. It was a reply. Everyone keeps parroting off the same information like there is 300k 1080Ti units that have been built. More likely scenario is there was 300k chips of varying model numbers that were returned to nVidia.

Also, your attitude sucks.

I don't think it is going to be August for new cards from Nvidia. More like December. But that will depend on how fast they can sell of all that over stock of cards they have right now.

Announcement End of July (Depending on how well they dump excess stock. You see the prices falling already in prep for it) First availability early August founders edition. Custom cooling 3rd party end of September. This is just in time for Christmas and will clean up a company's fiscal year which ends on October 31st.

Why not look here in the for sale forum? People are selling their 1080 ti around 650-700 for after market ones. Bought one here no issues. If you go with msi Asus or gigabyte, there shouldn't be an issue with warranty either.

And what is your recourse when it fails? Or the ROM has been modified for mining so it performs like crap?

Answer: None. Not worth the risk given the prices on used cards. If they were half the value of new I might consider it. Chances of getting 2 bad ones in a row is low.

Yes, that part is known. It is not known what model they are.
10:1 1050ti and below. Look at the price spread between 1060 and 1050ti. The efficiency isn't there for miners on lower cards, and AMD competes very nicely in this space. A RX560 stomps over a 1050 2GB for the same money.

Why AMD dude? Pictures of my rig in my sig. Including a picture of my Intel SSD 750 Series PCIE - 1.2tb.

View attachment 83584

View attachment 83585

Congrats on being the 1% of the 1%. If gaming is all you are after, then by all means, I will freely admit Intel/NVIDIA is the only game. But if you want to do more like encoding, Intel isn't the best solution. Right tool for the right job. And I can live with 3% difference @ 4K on an Intel vs AMD CPU.

The rest of us will be happy driving Corvettes while you drive your Hellcat down the strip.

alxlwson , Id grab one of the VEGA 56s that have been on sale and then hit @ssynder28 up..He has a full cover EK block he will see you pretty cheap. Crank the HBM up to 1100Mhz, mod the PP tables and clock the card at 1.1V with 80% PL and watch it fly.

Should be able to be fetch $300 for your 980Ti.

Read the Asus, Gigabyte and MSI warranty terms, it says NO TRANSFER OF WARRANTY by stating "to the ORIGINAL PURCHASER ONLY", every time I tried to call them I was on eternal hold (hung up after 20 minutes) and forget about receiving an email from them (that's been my repeated experiences anyways as well as many others who wrote online about their horror experiences).

Be wise and get rid of the "should" that doesn't really exist unless they feel like using it and buy EVGA where you'll have access to free 24/7 tech phone support and an extraordinary replacement warranty no other company offers (not even close)

Not sure. I have done msi rma before. Never had an issue. It's all automated. They never asked me for receipt or asked me if I was the original owner or not.

Evga has changed warrnath recently. For all items purchased after may 25th it's not the same. They require original receipt. They are being very unclear about all the details. I don't have receipt for mine but they told me the card was shipped January 9th so my card will be covered without receipt. But they might be going by warehouse dates to make sure. I think all cards shipped after may 25th will be required to have a receipt for original purchase, that's how they will likely enforce it.

I guess you missed the part where intel has a failing 10nm process and AMD kicked their 28 core 5GHZ water chilled xeons ass with an air cooled 32 core rig? Or the 8700k only narrowly winning in a few games vs the 2700x which wins everywhere else? Or the 7900x using nearly 3x the power for ~15-20% more performance?
Did you ditch Nvidia when they fucked up w10 drivers? Or the host of other fuckups they had? AMD sure has dropped the ball a few times but AMD in 2018 is far, far superior drivers wise (other than APUs) compare to AMD of the past.
What are you going to do when AMD takes the overall performance lead in CPUs in coming year or two?
What if Nvidia drops the ball too, will you cling on to them for dear life because nvidia?
I always find people like you quite interesting.. that's assuming you are not trolling.

I guess you missed the part where intel has a failing 10nm process and AMD kicked their 28 core 5GHZ water chilled xeons ass with an air cooled 32 core rig?

Yeah a demo but not the final product.

Or the 7900x using nearly 3x the power for ~15-20% more performance?

AMD had to do something with there cpu's because there video cards use to much power and still suck.

Did you ditch Nvidia when they fucked up w10 drivers?

I don't know. I don't use W10. I'm staying with Windows 7 till then. And there drivers are still fine. I am still able to play all the games I want!

What are you going to do when AMD takes the overall performance lead in CPUs in coming year or two?

That's a long time away and you are counting your chickens to early!

I always find people like you quite interesting..

I seen AMD boys a poor people that cannot afford better hardware. Thank God there are not that many poor boy's. Just see how many more video cards Nvidia sells compared to AMD.

Suck it up and just buy a GPU .... I've done it man, I've complained, hated the situation, postured, complained some more. Told myself, fuck it, I just won't buy anything, on and on and on. And, I finally realized it was only a small amount of money in the way of me having something I would really like.

$500 isn't a lot. Get you a 1070 ti or a used 1080. Pair it with a 1080p and you will be very happy.

Stay the hell away from AMD if you can.

Suck it up and just buy a GPU .... I've done it man, I've complained, hated the situation, postured, complained some more. Told myself, fuck it, I just won't buy anything, on and on and on. And, I finally realized it was only a small amount of money in the way of me having something I would really like.

$500 isn't a lot. Get you a 1070 ti or a used 1080. Pair it with a 1080p and you will be very happy.

Why Stay away from AMD, that's just stupid fanboy talk. He has a freesync monitor, combine that with a Vega 64 and you have a better gaming experience than a 1080ti without sync.

And buying a 1080 or a 1070TI is rubbish advice. He already has a 980Ti, either of those cards would be a very minor upgrade over what he has already. If he is going to pick a Nividia card, either go for a 1080Ti or wait until the new cards appear.

Yeah a demo but not the final product.

AMD had to do something with there cpu's because there video cards use to much power and still suck.

I don't know. I don't use W10. I'm staying with Windows 7 till then. And there drivers are still fine. I am still able to play all the games I want!

That's a long time away and you are counting your chickens to early!

I seen AMD boys a poor people that cannot afford better hardware. Thank God there are not that many poor boy's. Just see how many more video cards Nvidia sells compared to AMD.

Dude. Their, they're, too. Just judging on your grammar, you're one of those poor boys. What are you, 12?

This is garbage advice. I'm not stepping down from 3840x1600. A 1070/1080 is basically a sidegrade with very little benefit. My card has a pretty wicked OC on it.

If I were to buy something RIGHT NOW, it would be a VEGA64. Being able to use freesync is a good thing.

Dude. Their, they're, too. Just judging on your grammar, you're one of those poor boys. What are you, 12?

This is garbage advice. I'm not stepping down from 3840x1600. A 1070/1080 is basically a sidegrade with very little benefit. My card has a pretty wicked OC on it.

If I were to buy something RIGHT NOW, it would be a VEGA64. Being able to use freesync is a good thing.

I could be old enough to be your dad. 58. Oh yeah I turn 59 this Wednesday.

I don't know how because I swear MSRP was $700, but I have a newegg order in my history for a 1080ti on launch (3/10/2017) for $640 + $14.99 faster shipping. Maybe price protection refund? really no idea but not complaining! I saved over $150 on the samsung freesync monitor preorder that way.
It was zotac, not that brand really matters with limited launch cards all being the same first factory run cards nvidia permits vendors to box up and resell.

Mining really went mainstream public awareness not long after that so you might as well wait for the next generation because won't see prices down there again until then.

Still though, without working VRR you're going to notice those frame drops. Definitely go with a Vega over a GTX, even a 1080Ti isn't going to max that res with 75FPS mins...
My friend has that Acer 38”. He bought the Vega Nitro 64 - the best Vega 64 out right now and sold it two weeks ago for a 1080ti. He couldn’t keep the Vega 64 above the minimum free sync range of 48 FPS in Vermintide 2 which he plays avidly. He says the 1080ti can keep the game pegged at 75hz which is the monitors max refresh. I personally wouldn’t give up freesync, but then if it can’t keep the minimums —- and your absolutely unwilling to lower graphical settings then you don’t have freesync either. I think I’d do freesync and lower a setting here or there to try to keep it above 48hz. But yeah that sucks, which is why I don’t own that 38” monitor. —- because otherwise —- yeah it’s a gorgeous display and I’d have picked it up!

Last edited:
My friend has that Acer 38”. He bought the Vega Nitro 64 - the best Vega 64 out right now and sold it two weeks ago for a 1080ti. He couldn’t keep the Vega 64 above the minimum free sync range of 48 FPS in Vermintide 2 which he plays avidly. He says the 1080ti can keep the game pegged at 75hz which is the monitors max refresh. I personally wouldn’t give up freesync, but then if it can’t keep the minimums —- and your absolutely unwilling to lower graphical settings then you don’t have freesync either. I think I’d do freesync and lower a setting here or there to try to keep it above 48hz. But yeah that sucks, which is why I don’t own that 38” monitor. —- because otherwise —- yeah it’s a gorgeous display and I’d have picked it up!

Yeah. I absolutely love the display. I got it on a stupid sale at Microcenter in Cinci. I think I paid 799+ tax.

I do think I need more processor. Lots and lots of things to load in town, lots of scripts for all the NPC's, which is where I struggle most with frames. CPU pegs 100% when I'm in town. I took it over to dad's PC which has a 7700K stock in it, and it was much smoother. Now, he does have a 1080 AMP! Extreme on a 4K panel.
Can't decide!!! I feel at the minimum that having SMT would help. So drop in a 7700K, or go ahead and plop in a new Ryzen platform? So many decisions.

Last edited:
Yeah. I absolutely love the display. I got it on a stupid sale at Microcenter in Cinci. I think I paid 799+ tax.

I do think I need more processor. Lots and lots of things to load in town, lots of scripts for all the NPC's, which is where I struggle most with frames. CPU pegs 100% when I'm in town. I took it over to dad's PC which has a 7700K stock in it, and it was much smoother. Now, he does have a 1080 AMP! Extreme on a 4K panel.
Can't decide!!! I feel at the minimum that having SMT would help. So drop in a 7700K, or go ahead and plop in a new Ryzen platform? So many decisions.

Looking at your sig... you’re in a place where you are 85-90% to the best gaming performance stuff you can buy. Your monitor is what’s breaking your back because its got that punishing resolution.

I’d advise you sit tight with what you have.

No CPU you buy on that platform is going to make that much difference over your I5-6600k at 4.5GHz. —- at your resolution of 3880x1600.
That’s all GPU bottleneck at that res.

The 1080TI is a beast compared to the 980ti. You may be talking as much as 50% overclock to overclock. If you need more GPU that’s really your only option IMO. A Vega 64 is at least generally 30% slower than a 1080ti.

AMD next gen, Navi, is rumored to be an RX580 replacement, vs a new flagship. So no point in waiting on that...

Or honestly consider selling that monitor of yours for what you paid for it and buy a $700-$800 34 or 35” gsync ultrawide monitor and enjoy the gsync environment. Your overclocked 980Ti would probably still be fine with gsync at 3440x1440.

My Alienware 34” for instance might be a good compromise if you are like me, in that I’m unwilling to give up freesync or gsync technology. Either is fine — But one of the other is a requirement for my person gaming system and unfortunately there’s just nothing in the AMD freesync landscape that can drive that 38” for the foreseeable 2-3 year horizon. (At least If you must have nothing other than max settings)

If you must keep that monitor - then buy an AMD Vega 64 and know nothing superior is around the corner for a long time to come — and that’s just what it is. Turn a setting down here or there to stay in Freesync range and enjoy it.

remember when intel didn't have competition?

maybe amd has a threadripper class gpu up it's sleeve and just waiting to drop it on the market.

perhaps they are waiting for nvidia to release something first.

I think its nvidia playing the waiting game since they have no need to release anything new right now. Besides, apparently, AMD won't release enthusiast NAVI till 2020.

And what is your recourse when it fails? Or the ROM has been modified for mining so it performs like crap?

Answer: None. Not worth the risk given the prices on used cards. If they were half the value of new I might consider it. Chances of getting 2 bad ones in a row is low.

That’s why you buy from a trustworthy seller here. Not from some Lier on eBay. I have never had any bad experience here from trusted seller who had good heat like mine. If I mined on a card I would tell you. But I am not sure if there is any need to modify rom on an nvidia card for mining. They are as efficient as they can get. I think you are assuming that every card sold here has been mined to shit which is not the case.

I think its nvidia playing the waiting game since they have no need to release anything new right now. Besides, apparently, AMD won't release enthusiast NAVI till 2020.

I think you will see a highend before that. I am not sure if AMD would just release a rx 580 replacement and call it a day. They have to have a higher core solution. I think what people talking about is ps4 equivalent Navi chip. Which might be rx 580 replacement. But there will be higher end for sure.

...that isn't "old" and still above MSRP from launch. This shit is completely ridiculous. I've never had a problem finding a thing I want to spend money on. I just refuse to spend nearly $800 on a 1080ti. Would love to have an AMD card because my monitor is FreeSync, but I guess a Vega64 is not much of an upgrade from my heavy OC 980ti.
So I'm stuck not being able to spend money that I have on what I want. #two

/rant

Almost grabbed a 1070 Ti at Breast Buy today. Might need to consider it.

My overclocked 980 Ti hasn't been fairing terribly well. It's been in a box meaning to go back to EVGA for warranty. But I reeeeeaally don't want to get a fucking refurbished B stock miner as a replacement.

Probably going to get something else in the interim as right now there's just a lowly 770 in there :(

At the same time, new cards are just around the corner, prices are about to drop like a rock due to the glut of cards and I haven't gamed in the last year.

Probably better to just wait, sell whatever they replace the 980 Ti with while prices are high, and pick something up in a couple of months.

I don't think even a 1080 Ti is going to be much of a bump for either one of us alxlwson. You're at 1.5ghz and I'm at 1.6ghz. It's probably best to wait another generation honestly.

1080 ti is a beast. I think Nvidia can get another 20-30% performance out of these by shrinking them to 12nm and upping the clocks and keeping similar power envelope. Without even doing another architecture. I do expect minor jump at 12nm though since its not a full node shrink. Performance wont be as good as it was for pascal shrink. But probably still sell well since there is no competition.

well if someone here wants a 1080ti I might part with mine. I am moving soon its the evga 1080ti ftw 3. I am packing and probably won't be gaming for 6 months +. Moving out of state and gonna take me a while to settle down. I have been too lazy to put it up for sale lol but if someone wants it more then me PM me. Out of the box it boosts to like 1950+ and memory OCs around 400mhz If you up the power to 127%. So I didn't really try OC'ing the core to much as there likely wont be much difference.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...m_re=evga_1080ti_ftw_3-_-14-487-338-_-Product

Evga told me it still have warranty by serial from January 9th of this year. I chatted twice and they said thats the time it left warehouse. So still quiet a bit of warranty left.

Back