I installed my processor in the wrong position

No, most "do-gooders" wouldn't rma it. To do so is blatently dishonest and some of us still care about that sort of thing. Some people, sadly, don't.

Considering CPUs are by far R&D ROI and manufacturing plant costs, and costs relatively little to produce when it comes to base materials, I doubt Intel would even care much it broke as long as it wasn't blatant user damaged by intention (extreme cooling/volting.)

This clearly was unintentional and somewhat Intel's fault that the chip is able to sit like this in the socket.

OP failed play time
g5073.jpg

Considering CPUs are by far R&D ROI and manufacturing plant costs, and costs relatively little to produce when it comes to base materials, I doubt Intel would even care much it broke as long as it wasn't blatant user damaged by intention (extreme cooling/volting.)

This clearly was unintentional and somewhat Intel's fault that the chip is able to sit like this in the socket.

It's not Intel's fault.
It was BLATANTLY obvious which way the chip was supposed to go, just by looking at the key notches. if this is Intel's fault, then I guess it's also Intel's fault if you jam a USB header into a IEEE1394 header and it sets your house on fire.

Problem is the person between the chair and the monitor.

It's not Intel's fault.
It was BLATANTLY obvious which way the chip was supposed to go, just by looking at the key notches. if this is Intel's fault, then I guess it's also Intel's fault if you jam a USB header into a IEEE1394 header and it sets your house on fire.

Problem is the person between the chair and the monitor.

ID10T error.

Intel's fault... LOL yeah, they include instructions for a reason. People like that give me job security.

Always match the little arrow where it should be, it's on pretty much every processor AMD and Intel
intel-sandy-bridge-es.jpg
Yep. The notches should be enough, though. It can't go in properly any other way and should be just a tad loose until you lock it in.

It fits only one way. Is this the first time you ever installed a cpu OP?

Thats what she said :D. Dude your screwed chock it up to learning mebe get lucky with the cpu RMA but I know your going to eat the board.

If there was a pop, some of the CPU pins could have been arc-welded together. Otherwise, the heat generated by the arc would likely have cooked bits of the silicon. Not likely the CPU survived, but as long as any of the copper pads aren't welded together, then you shouldn't have it short out in another board.

I fried some ram once....it also caused all but the blue channel in the video card to get fried somehow...or maybe it was the mobo that fried all but the blue channel i dont remember...costly replacement none the less.

If there was a pop, some of the CPU pins could have been arc-welded together. Otherwise, the heat generated by the arc would likely have cooked bits of the silicon. Not likely the CPU survived, but as long as any of the copper pads aren't welded together, then you shouldn't have it short out in another board.
WTF? Some of these replies are worse than what the OP posted.
There are no cpu pins, only contact points. This is an Intel chip, and he posted pictures. Go read the thread and click the nice shiny links.
The pins are in the motherboard socket, and there were pictures of the socket posted too, showing that several pins are bent/damaged.

The board is beyond repair for sure, and the cpu was what probably popped and is now dead.

You guys all know exactly how this happened.

He placed the CPU on top of the socket and to him, without having the experience, it looked right. He then put down the retention mechanism and locked it into place. The rest is history.

The pins gave way to the force of the retention mechanism against the cpu and allowed him to lock it into place without too much effort.

The only advice I can give to someone new attempting this in the future that might be reading this is that the cpu if placed in the correct position will fit perfectly flush with the socket walls. You should also read the instructions carefully in the motherboard manual along with the Intel instructions as well.

But, yes, I see this happened to a lot of people out there. We all have to get our start somewhere.

I still can't figure out how this is possible. When I installed my 1156 I looked closely at the arrows, but realized it didn't matter as it could only fit in one way.

If you have to use ANY muscle at all to get computer parts to fit you are doing it wrong. Better luck in the future OP.

I'll remember that next time I jam the diesel nozzle in my Altima.

Hey guys, thanks for the answers, I will try buying a new MoBo and see what happens, it is not the first time I installed a CPU, it is like the 8th time (and the most expensive processor I've ever owned) I was aware that the processor needs to be installed in a particular way, I remember I was thinking "I won't forget that it only can be installed in one way" I got distracted and bye bye CPU / Board...

I don't think anyone WANTS to flame you.... but the processor is notched specifically so that doesn't happen (like RAM). How did you manage to get it into the socket without cracking the CPU wafer?

Either way, you MAY be able to get away with an RMA for the processor... but if the motherboard's pins are bent I doubt you'll be able to pull off an RMA.... unless you can convince them it came like that... but then you'd have to go to confession for the next month or so. LOL

Although I agree this is clearly the OP's fault, I don't why some here are discouraging him from returning the CPU for replacement.

I know many posters here are guilty of similar activities, like returning an open box item, in-store display item, or an overclocked and hence damaged item to the manufacturer for a brand new replacement. Just as bad are the posters who take advantage of sale items that retailers sell at a loss in hopes that some, albeit expensive, products would be purchased at the same time.

If the OP wants to return the cpu, then let Intel make the decision as to whether he should be given a replacement.

Just as bad are the posters who take advantage of sale items that retailers sell at a loss in hopes that some, albeit expensive, products would be purchased at the same time.

If the OP wants to return the cpu, then let Intel make the decision as to whether he should be given a replacement.

take advantage of retailers?? haha

RMA that shit. It clearly didn't work the first time you fire it up.. properly.

I was in a similar boat a while back. I was in a hurry to remove a cpu, and took it out while the motherboard was still inside a vertical standing case. Ended up bending some pins. I worked under a microscope for hours bending them all back.

Rma the fucker we don't call them dishonest when they send us hardware that's damaged. We just return the favor. You can donate 10 bucks more this sunday at church if you feel shit about it

Just live and learn OP. Shitz happens and learn from it. I'm utterly at a loss for words right now. I'm still trying to figure out how the hell did you manage to do that is beyond satan's playground. Good luck and try RMA and be honest and hope the person on the other side is kind enough to RMA your stuff.

I'd RMA them both with a short letter explaining what happened. If they don't read the letter and send you a replacement, it's their problem. If they do read the letter and send you a replacement, good on them.

The CPU is probably fine. The pins that are bent on the motherboard are data pins, one power pin, reset pin and a few others. You likely fried the motherboard before juice even got into the CPU.

Best of luck!

Sorry op.. I never would have thought it was possible but with the pictures you posted I can now see. You think that after the 5.25in floppy debacle computers would never make a part you can insert incorrectly.

Once I bought a new waterblock from someone on the forum and pretty much the second I got it in the mail I stuck it in my rig. Couple days later while I was gaming I noticed some strange artifacting and immediately shut off the PC.

I opened it up and yup coolant all over my card and inside my case. The guy who sold me the waterblock loosened up the barbs for whatever reason and I didn't bother to check them before installing.

Luckily nothing was ruined but I had to take apart my loop to tighten those suckers down and that's never fun.

Back