I installed my processor in the wrong position

Hey Guys, I have a question, I installed my core i5 2500k in the wrong position, I turned it on and I heard a spark and then it smelled like burned :(, I know something died, the computer does not work right now (btw, the pins on the board are bent) I know the board is plain dead, but what do you guys think? could the processor be still alive? what's most likely? the spark to have happened on the MB or on the CPU?:( (I know that the poor thing is most likely dead, but maybe you can give me some hope)

Don't know how you got it to go in the wrong way, but you're toast. Cough up some more $$ because no one's refunding that oops.

How the ***** did you manage to do that?
Said that outloud when I read the title. lol

That is one big oops. You must of had to really force it in (yes, that's what she said...).

Definitely going to have to shell out some more cash. Could always buy a new board and try the CPU to see if its fried. But, I'd expect to change both out.

Most of the time the CPU just slide in the socket without any force and in rare case just a very light tap and if that did not work the pins are bend in the first place when the CPU is in the correct position. You might also have damage the motherboard and if it was me I replace both.

It fits only one way. Is this the first time you ever installed a cpu OP?

Hey guys, thanks for the answers, I will try buying a new MoBo and see what happens, it is not the first time I installed a CPU, it is like the 8th time (and the most expensive processor I've ever owned) I was aware that the processor needs to be installed in a particular way, I remember I was thinking "I won't forget that it only can be installed in one way" I got distracted and bye bye CPU / Board...

always look at the corners. First thing you do is check the cpu. Did you put it in the right way and then tried to switch it on? The smoke couldve been just a spark from the contacts.

I almost made this mistake back in the day on my first assembly. I thought it required a good amount of force for you to put it in wrong? I'm super anal about it now and make sure it pretty much drops in and if it doesn't I triple check I did it right. Sucks it happened, sorry to hear.

Hey guys, thanks for the answers, I will try buying a new MoBo and see what happens, it is not the first time I installed a CPU, it is like the 8th time (and the most expensive processor I've ever owned) I was aware that the processor needs to be installed in a particular way, I remember I was thinking "I won't forget that it only can be installed in one way" I got distracted and bye bye CPU / Board...

coldfusion, the reason this doesn't make sense is because cpu's don't require any force to slide into the slot. There is not really any way you could have simply gotten distracted and accidently put the processor into the slot incorrectly. You would have to had to force it in, breaking little parts of the processor or the socket in the process (socket 1155 has two little notches that line up with the cpu)

unless you actually didn't seat the processor at all and simply left it and at a strange angle and then hinged the little bracket down onto the processor until you heard something break.

My point is, are you SURE you put the cpu in incorrectly? It sounds unlikely.

There are indentations on two side of the CPU where it fits in the socket. How did you even manage to clamp down the socket hold down with the CPU not oriented correctly?

I can almost guarantee that you fried the CPU and the motherboard.

I personally wouldn't even try a new board with the old CPU. You will most likely fry a new board with the old CPU.

Yep a lot of Amd stories around the web of bend pins

You sure you didn't use a socket 1156 mobo to experiment?

Last edited:
That's an expensive lesson. Live and Learn. People make mistakes.

I think you should try to RMA and see what happens :) Tell them you were oveclocking...:D

How the ***** did you manage to do that?

I agree. How the fuck did you even get the socket clamped down?

Not only did you fry the motherboard, you certainly killed the processor too. Certain pins carry high amounts of current, many pins just carry signals (to/from chipset, ram, etc.), and some are just ground pins. At the very least, you forced high amounts of electrical current into pins meant for signaling and completely frying those circuits on the cpu.

Your chance of salvaging the board or the cpu are more than likely zero.

are the contacts on the processor damaged?
if they are good then it might be working.although the chances are next to none as the high voltage might have cooked your processor.

you can try returning the processor.tell them that it was a defective piece:D

3952134521_f78cc3f7c5.jpg

Sorry to poke fun, but this story is pretty amazing. Sorry to hear about your troubles! Next time, no distractions when building with expensive PC components!

How the hell did you get it in there incorrectly, you must have been either A. Drunk B. High and had to of jammed it in there. Processors will not go in unless you put them in there correctly.

Unless you really beat that CPU to the socket, you couldn't add it there in the wrong position, because the shape of socket and CPU is created to be fitting only in one position. You had to feel that force of CPU when you were adding it there in wrong position.

N00b, n00b, n00b, f@#$ing n00b......!!!
Step away from anything computer related, and turn it over to people more knowledgeable than you, like GeekSquad......:eek:

But for real dude, just admit you were wasted or stoned.... It'll make you look better... Really...

So I actually just finished building my first rig ever last week with the same CPU. I can simply not fathom how OP did this given the amount of guidance there is out there, coupled with the fact it is incredibly clear it only fits ONE WAY. Simply unbelievable.
OP, as others have said...what Mobo were you using?

And all that being said, sorry it all happened. That's a pricey mistake.

Well as seen in photos you screwed it up, no way to fix this. You really either should notice the triangles in the corners or at least read installation instructions, they are not included with CPU just like that.

Don't know how you got it to go in the wrong way, but you're toast. Cough up some more $$ because no one's refunding that oops.

Frys probably would. They'd just shove it on the box and stick it on the shelf.

Ok, some photos, just to wrap up my [H]ard Humilliation :(

http://img545.imageshack.us/i/20042011176r.jpg

http://img194.imageshack.us/i/20042011178.jpg

http://img576.imageshack.us/i/20042011179.jpg

I swear to God I wasn't drunk or stoned, just lost my concentration for a while.

Its possible that may have only damaged the motherboard. Although I am not sure I would test this CPU in a new motherboard. You may want to sell both on eBay in the AS-IS (for parts only) clearly stating the problem and the users gamble and see if you can get $50 US for each..

Its possible that may have only damaged the motherboard. Although I am not sure I would test this CPU in a new motherboard. You may want to sell both on eBay in the AS-IS (for parts only) clearly stating the problem and the users gamble and see if you can get $50 US for each..

I agree with this, it's very possible that the cpu is shorted somewhere and will fry a good motherboard.

^lol I wanted to say +1 but then I saw the ebay part.
Op most times the mobo are designed to take the punch rather than the cpu. Ok that protections wasn't meant for circumstances like this but some do the job. Maybe your cpu are ok and the mobo fried. So try and test it somewhere. Go to a pc repair shop and ask them to test it for you. Don't tell them what happened. Just ask them to test it.

Quiz:
you insert the CPU into the motherboard. if it does not fit. Do you:

A) Press down harder
B) Mount the heatsink and hope it works anyway
C) Remove CPU, check alignment and reinsert correctly
D) Assume it fit because of overwhelming leetness

Last edited:
OP picked the wrong forum to post this on.....doesn't he realize this place is full of hardware junky geeks (like myself).....what was he expecting to get in return here?

I agree on trying to sell it as-is. The CPU might be dead, but I doubt if it will hurt another motherboard if you try it - I don't think it would short out in a way that caused current to flow back to the motherboard - more likely it would just fail to an open circuit and be completely dead.

Heck, hit me up on a PM...maybe I'll take a flier on it.

Back