I have Issues. Please Assist

Starguard

Limp Gawd
My computer is really starting to act strange. I am running Windows Vista. When I click on my START/COMPUTER icon. I usually get a screen showing me all of the drives I have avaliable. Now when I click this, the screen sits there blank for about 3 minutes before it shows me anything. Whenever I try to save anything to these drives and click on the comupter icon, nothing comes up.

Ive run Defrag and Avast AntiVirus, and this has had no effect on the problems I am having.

Please assist :(

I LOL'd at your title: "I have issues" hahaha

Are you able to access the drives at all in Windows? If so, can you read/write fine?

Have you tried physically disconnecting all of your drives other than your OS drive to see if this makes a difference? If not, give that a show and try each one disconnected to see if you can track down if a certain drive is causing an issue.

I tried disconnecting / reconnecting them, and nothing changed. I can't seem to write or copy anything to the at all

Do you have any mapped network drives that are unavailable? That can slow down things in this particular case.

I saw this post this morning but thought there was WAYYYYYY to much information given about his set-up for me. LOL!

Get a Linux LiveCD and see if you can access your data from there. A quick way to narrow down hardware or software.

We all have issues, deal with it... :eek:

But yeah, I'd check the drives (?) on other ports or on another PC with a SATA to USB bridge to narrow down the problem, and don't use them more than necessary until you've figured it out or recovered any important data. Running excess scans might just exacerbate things.

I finally managed to get this issue cleared up. After waiting seemnig forever for my external HDD icons to appear, I got into them and ran Defrag, and the issues all cleared themselves up.

Makes no sense whatsoever.. but somehow it worked :eek:

Thanks and Hi Five to all those that responded :)

Back