I hate you, Newegg.

Yes - I'm curious too...

Amazon will still get you with return shipping if you get a case of buyers remorse or on an impulse buy that you no longer want when it arrives.

Seems you have left out what many here might consider important info: like oh, why you were RMA'ing a new unopened board? Not blasting you, just trying to figure out what the deal was.

Why does that matter? Even Worst Buy will let you return an item for no reason other than "I decided I don't want it anymore" And when buying PC parts - it's always nice to know that if you screw up and buy incompatible stuff (that never happens here right?) that you can return it and get the right one with no penalty.

Point is - there's legitimate reasons for returning unopened perfectly good stuff, and it's in the retailer's best interest not to screw the customer's experience up (because someone else will gladly take that return for free to secure their future business)

Really, Best Buy does that? I'm pretty sure most online shops, has restocking fee if the item has no issues.

Really, Best Buy does that? I'm pretty sure most online shops, has restocking fee if the item has no issues.

I could be totally wrong (I am getting old). But I know I've returned brand new things to both Amazon and Best Buy (and actually to Home Depot quite a bit) in the past and got a full refund - no restocking fees.

Now, for Amazon - maybe I'm getting out of shipping and whatnot because I'm a Prime member?

Best buy - maybe it's because I exchange?

Both scenarios are oftentimes a dual gift at xmas or birthday - like I get the same video game gift twice. So I return it brand new and buy another.

With respect to Home Depot - I had a fixer upper house - and I would sometimes buy more than I needed for a project just in case (nothing worse than running out of material to have to run back to the store for one more 2x4 type thing). Upon project completion, I'd bring back the unopened stuff, no harm no foul - thank you for your business sir. Have fun shopping and spending another $1000 today on your next home project :D

I just can't remember ever paying a restocking fee recently - and I know I've returned brand new stuff. I dunno - maybe my memory sucks, or maybe I just got lucky. But I'd be miffed if I got hit with a $15 restocking fee and a return shipping fee on a mobo.

Same for me. I don't know that I've ever paid a restocking fee... maybe that's just in the fine print to discourage people?

I thought restocking fees when done with B&M stores is for items that were opened. For unopened items, if they're returned in time (usually 30 days), I don't think I've ever got hit with restocking fees.

Actually I have been buying quite a few things from Best Buy lately and their return policy is actually quite decent now compared to before. If you are an Elite member you get 30 days, Elite Plus I believe 45? Otherwise 14 days to return and there is no restocking fee anymore for any reason. I bought a TV and returned it because I didnt like it, returned the razer naga epic because it was crap, and somethings I have never opened.

I just got a refund, no questions asked from amazon regarding a product that I never received.

I didnt even need to hound them and didnt offer any expectations, just said that my product that I ordered didnt come with the package. I got an email 2 days later saying that they were refunding me the full purchase of that item and that I was free to attempt to order it again.

Newegg.

Once you know, you Ne...

...ver look back from Amazon.

I put in an RMA for a board I paid $76 bucks for including shipping. After taking $11 for "restocking fee" from the $70 item cost, now it's at $59. Now take off $12 return shipping and I'm going to get $47 back of my $76 for a brand new unopened board?

Fuck. You.

At Amazon I'd pay $70 with free shipping, and if I return it I'll get $70 back with free return shipping.

Sad when you think how good Newegg once was. I added it up just now and have ordered $7711 worth of gear from Newegg in the last 5 years. That value in the future will become as close to zero as possible.

newegg has been downhill the moment they put in their pricing algorithms.

At one point, they were bar none the lowest price available with the best electronics selection. They built up a fantastic reputation and now greed has over taken them

Ah, The american dream:

Build a customer base using good prices and customer service, then screw em.

yep. I bought a keyboard from them, and later found it 30 cheaper somewhere they wouldn't price match. No hassle, just made sure everything was in the box and gave me my money back. Same with a PS Vita I bought. My uncle hyped it over the moon. I thought it wasn't worth the money. No issue.

Seems you have left out what many here might consider important info: like oh, why you were RMA'ing a new unopened board? Not blasting you, just trying to figure out what the deal was.

Seems that everyone here knows that when you phrase it in the way you did no one is fooled that it's not, like oh, blasting. Ya know. Just sayin.

The answer to the non-blastingly phrased question that fooled everyone is that I ordered an lga 1150 board by mistake and my cpus are lga 1155.

Seems that everyone here knows that when you phrase it in the way you did no one is fooled that it's not, like oh, blasting. Ya know. Just sayin.

The answer to the non-blastingly phrased question that fooled everyone is that I ordered an lga 1150 board by mistake and my cpus are lga 1155.
Easy there hoss, I was not blasting you, sorry if you misinterpreted what I was asking. I was simply trying to find out why someone was RMA'ing a new unopened item. You failed to mention that you ordered the wrong item by mistake, not something seemingly frivolous like you ordered item xx then found it cheaper somewhere else and decided to return it. I'll let your assumption that I blasted you slide. :) Had you mentioned all this before, I would have totally agreed with you right away. I do agree with you, if item was new and unopened, they should not have charged you a restocking fee.

Whew, less hate, more love folks. :p

I pretty much use Newegg for searching, because Amazon has what clearly is the most distracted and insane search. Looking for this? How about all of these things that aren't this instead. 'Oh, we found some of this, but we're going to bury it under all these and those.'

Newegg on the other hand, 'Oh, we didn't find that. Look for something else.'

Easy there hoss, I was not blasting you, sorry if you misinterpreted what I was asking. I was simply trying to find out why someone was RMA'ing a new unopened item. You failed to mention that you ordered the wrong item by mistake, not something seemingly frivolous like you ordered item xx then found it cheaper somewhere else and decided to return it. I'll let your assumption that I blasted you slide. :) Had you mentioned all this before, I would have totally agreed with you right away. I do agree with you, if item was new and unopened, they should not have charged you a restocking fee.

Whew, less hate, more love folks. :p

The reason was irrelevant the only reason to call it into question would be ti bash him or claim his complaint is not legit. So...

The reason was irrelevant the only reason to call it into question would be ti bash him or claim his complaint is not legit. So...

I disagree to an extent. If the item is unopened, there should not be a restocking fee.

However, the reason for the return should at least determine if you're on the hook for shipping.

I agree with Amazon's approach, which I have dealt with previously:
  • If you don't want an item you pay return shipping
  • If an item is defective they cover shipping
Newegg charges/leaves you responsible in both scenarios.

A mis-order would be a bit of a gray area IMO. On an exchange I feel they could cover (some of) the shipping.

People have griped about Newegg's shipping. I placed an order during the evening of the 13th and chose free shipping. (It was for a couple spools of blank DVD media.) I received it 6 days later, on the 19th. I think 5 nights' time is pretty fair for free shipping. The box was pretty well packed and the spools weren't at all damaged.

Yeah I've bought more stuff than I care to declare and nothing was ever delayed, improperly packed and other than amazon prime is my next most favorite site

"Devil's" advocate here, but...

If you return an item directly to a brick & mortar store then sure, you'll usually get a 100% refund if the item is unopened. But with an online store you should expect to pay return shipping costs, and possibly also a deduction for the initial cost of shipping the item to you (which sometimes is simplified to a "restocking fee"). After all, why should the seller lose $ (the cost of two-way shipping) on the transaction because the buyer later decided that he or she shouldn't have bought the item? You wouldn't accept that if you were the seller. This is one of the very few remaining benefits to buying locally.

"Devil's" advocate here, but...

If you return an item directly to a brick & mortar store then sure, you'll usually get a 100% refund if the item is unopened. But with an online store you should expect to pay return shipping costs, and possibly also a deduction for the initial cost of shipping the item to you (which sometimes is simplified to a "restocking fee"). After all, why should the seller lose $ (the cost of two-way shipping) on the transaction because the buyer later decided that he or she shouldn't have bought the item? You wouldn't accept that if you were the seller. This is one of the very few remaining benefits to buying locally.

It's simple... Customer retention. The biggest hurdle for online retailers is returns and always has been. Ask anyone still buying everything locally why they don't buy online and they'll tell you just that.

It's simple... Customer retention. The biggest hurdle for online retailers is returns and always has been. Ask anyone still buying everything locally why they don't buy online and they'll tell you just that.

Pretty much. I buy all my tv's locally because of returns. If it has dead pixels or weird back light bleeding so easy to return or exchange it. I've heard amazon makes tv's easier to return but its been a while since I have shopped for a tv.

This, exactly.

E-tailers also have the added advantage of not charging tax in most places. If an e-tailer cannot match the purchase and return experience of a B&M (or Amazon) now without charging tax, then god help them when the time comes when e-tailers have to charge tax according to the state the order is placed from. E-tailers are more closely related to shipping companies than actual retailers. Moving the stuff from supplier to end-user is their business.

I made my statement based on the fact that I've spend over $7k with Newegg over many years and never attempted to return a single thing until now. When I did try to return one brand new, never opened item, I was going to receive 60% of what I paid for it? Not on this planet.

Amazon practices paragraph 1. Newegg does not. My money goes toward the continued success of Amazon. If (more likely when) Amazon gains enough leverage over customers to stop practicing this in the future, someone else will come along to take their place.

I don't get it. I ask for pretty much anything and newegg rolls over. They have different return policies for different items but they never expect me to pay return shipping on anything defective. Some of this is just that newegg doesn't auto print return labels when you apply for an Rma through the website. You have to ask a chat agent which is fast and 24/7 or call them, which is annoying.

Caveating any statement on returns with "defective" nullifies the argument. Defective is of course a slam dunk return reason. Unopened and undamaged is absolutely just as slam dunk. An e-tailer not practicing that is leaning on the customer to increase their margins, period.

They legally can and do sell unopened and undamaged returned items as new to another customer. Had I actually gone through with the return, anyone here could have received the exact same board I just returned after they had already soaked me for nearly half the price of it, and you would never know it once sat on my kitchen table.

I can buy nearly anything from nearly any b&m or amazon, not open it, and return it the next day for a full refund. I will be refunded my entire purchase price, including tax at the b&m. No "restocking fee" and no loss of "shipping cost". I would not expect anything less at an e-tailer, and an e-tailer that expects to do that is expecting me to receive a lower level of service than I can get elsewhere.

As stated before, Amazon is a company too, and I believe that at some point in the future they'll start doing the same thing. It's the nature of the beast when they're trying to create growth, and that growth is going to come harder and harder over time for Amazon. At that point someone else without Amazon's massive overhead will see the opportunity, capitalize on it, and my business will then be with them.

Newegg is still the first place I usually look. If they have what I want, I then immediately look on Amazon for the same item. If it's the same price it's a no brainer. If it's less than 10% or so more at Amazon, I still buy it from them because of their return policy should I need to use it. If it's more than that at Amazon, I buy it from Newegg and hope I never have to return it.

The shipping is what these companies do. It's not a cost of doing business, it's the core of their business.

And "restocking fee"? Right.

Funny coming from the guy in a fucking thread about people unhappy with the egg just to defend it. But I'm the paid shill right? :rolleyes:
Yes, after all, you're the one who manipulated my quote. Just b/c this is a "I hate Newegg" thread doesn't mean that only bad experiences are required in order to participate.

Back