I got my LianLi PC-A05B ! it's Small!

You probably don't want UPS(-store) pack it for you, as it will probably be expensive. One think you should do, however, is to post link to your FS thread here as there might be some people looking to downsize ;)

Just got the parts for my new build, which happens to include the PC-A05N. One of the things I am wondering about is if anyone has tried doing both fans as intakes, and venting out the back PCI slots, or is a blowhole necessary?

Also, I'm planning on turning the fan around in my PSU, and cutting a hole in the bottom of the case and ducting it so it exhausts out the bottom and intakes through the front, so that I don't have the front intake possibly pulling in hot PSU exhaust. Obviously this will require me to raise the case up a couple inches to ensure I have adequate room for air to get out.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are:
1) making front fan an intake and relying on the uncovered PCI slots as exhaust is not going to be any more effective than the default configuration. You can kinda test it by doing what you want, while leaving PSU configuration intact (just "duct" its exhaust such that it does not go into the front fan (e.g., tape a piece of carton between the front fan and the PSU exhaust)
2) for "reversing" your PSU -- you should also think about adequately supporting PSU from the bottom, as when you make that whole, that little peg is going to be gone or weakened

Test fitting the parts. I found a way to put the fans in the rear for the T-60F top panel and still have the side covers slid forward like a stock system. Sorry for the bad picture but you can see that the EVGA SLI LE should work well with the EVGA GTX275.

Picture001.jpg

Looks good! Did you find an elegant way to T-60F reversal problem? I mean, one can shave the hooks off the side panels an it will be it ... or re-do the slots on T-60F such that they work with unmodified side panels (doubt it's possible though, given where the existing slots are and it will likely be more work than making a blowhole in A05N's original top). Dying to see your solution.

Test fitting the parts. I found a way to put the fans in the rear for the T-60F top panel and still have the side covers slid forward like a stock system ...

My thoughts are:
1) making front fan an intake and relying on the uncovered PCI slots as exhaust is not going to be any more effective than the default configuration. You can kinda test it by doing what you want, while leaving PSU configuration intact (just "duct" its exhaust such that it does not go into the front fan (e.g., tape a piece of carton between the front fan and the PSU exhaust)
2) for "reversing" your PSU -- you should also think about adequately supporting PSU from the bottom, as when you make that whole, that little peg is going to be gone or weakened

Thanks for the reply! Only reason I asked the first question was to see whether or not I should just go ahead and cut the blowhole into the top or not. Also, I was planning on taping off most of the other openings and vents in the case to force air out by the vid card via positive pressure. The vid card is what I'm worried most about as it is a single-slot cooler 4850, and runs up to 80C in my old case. I will probably still experiment with this.

I ended up cutting the hole for PSU last night, and as for the support issue I have a 4" PVC coupling that I'm going to cut ~1cm from and have it act as a duct and support. I put the PSU in as-is (intake from the bottom of the case, exhaust out the front) and will be using the case fans in their default configuration as well to see what kind of temps I get.

Also, I installed my Scythe Mugen 2 in there, and the thing is HUGE!!! I've got the fan on it in a push configuration, pushing toward the front of the case. Thing is, it's only ~1inch from the rear case fan, so I'm not sure if it'd be better to just remove the rear case fan and duct the opening to the CPU fan. I'll probably give it a try after I get everything in and see what kind of temps I'm getting.

I'll post some pics when I can, thanks to everyone in this thread for the inspiration!

Last edited:
Reading and watching this thread can really have an adverse effect you.... I didn't realize how light they were? Also how quicky my wallet lightened as well? Amazing

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee99/PureFLCL/Lian-Li/Ao5n Project/Ao5n.jpg
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee99/PureFLCL/Lian-Li/Ao5n Project/Ao5nSide1.jpg
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee99/PureFLCL/Lian-Li/Ao5n Project/Ao5nSide2.jpg
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee99/PureFLCL/Lian-Li/Ao5n Project/FreshoutoftheBox.jpg

My Ao5n Project - I don't plan to finish it until around Christmas so don't look for any real quick updates..... But it will have an end...

There are so many ideas in the forums I don't know where to start with mine?
I do know I'm going to try (thats try) and keep the reverse flow design of the case. So no blow holes, bung holes or pie holes that would change the flow, not that it's a bad thing, it just means a different kind of mod for me to think of..... (Rusty gears grinding sound effect) Ouch!

Surely a gutting it will get and it's already started with sleeving and ordering new parts from Jab-Tech, Hint Hint!

Got the top fitted. Who said this cannot be done.Ha Ha
No shaved hooks and no modification of slots. Side and top panels just as secure as original and just as easy to remove.

Picture015.jpg

Picture013.jpg

Picture014.jpg

Maybe pulling them off through the front panel? Since the front panel is easy to take off...

Got the top fitted. Who said this cannot be done.Ha Ha
No shaved hooks and no modification of slots. Side and top panels just as secure as original and just as easy to remove.

Looks good, real good, Those top grills look flush and factory and that Motherboard Rocks!

Keep them coming need to see how everything fits with that video card!

Maybe pulling them off through the front panel? Since the front panel is easy to take off...

naah ... one can probably switch left and right sides (and use each upside-down, so hooks are at the bottom), but that would still require flattening them (or making slots in the frame). I don't see a solution that does not involve hard-to-reverse/irreversible changes to either side or top panels (or all three). Given how quickly edvb put his setup together, I tend to think only simple cutting (or now cutting at all) have been involved ... of course, I've never held T-60F top in my hands, so I'm assuming it has the slot pattern of the stock A05 top, but it may not be true as T-60F is a replacement top and may have been designed to be reversible.

The Solution!

Good guesses but no Cigar today.

After looking at the panel it became obvious what would work best.

A little trim on the top panel on the rear edges and a little trim on the bottom of the side panels. rotate the top panel 180 degrees and install.

Bam! everything fits. Reverse the left and right side panels and slide on from the front to the back.

The only extra step is to remove the front panel before moving either side panel and that is no big deal.

All the hooks work the same and you have a secure enclosure in about 30 minutes.

The back looks very clean and after anodizing the frame black it should be a very clean design.

Does anyone have pictures of the Delrin Vandal Resistant Illuminated Switch Black - 22mm Blue Ring and 16mm Reset switch with a blue dot?

What do you think of those or staying stock?

Also what Fan filters are the best in your opinion?

Thanks as this build is a group effort between all of us.

Picture016.jpg

This will be on my desk so it also will be an art piece.

What can I say -- it was a bold move! But if I knew I had to cut something, I'd cut the top panel .. probably for a 140mm fan. Too bad there are no machine shops around here (need a window on a side panel too).

edvb, with mounting the C-02 cover -- did you have a problem of the left side landing on top of the rivet?

That is an easy fix. Rummage around a hardware store or hobby shop and you can find a short threaded stud with a slot for a screwdriver blade that is narrow in thickness. Drill a hole and tap it and you are done.

Those are minor things that are easily fixed.

Overall this works and is easy to do. You get better performance with the fans in the correct position. The panel does not cost that much more than the Rad grill.
It looks stock and clean.

If you have a better solution let me know?

For $35.00 for the Top without the I/O door was worth it to me. With this mod to get the fans in the right position and have a super clean case that flows air for my i7 920 and GTX275 video card is worth it to me.

cyberkost

I do not understand what you mean?

When I turned the panel around I had to trim both corners to clear the clips that hold the front panel on on top. I did the same with the side panels to clear the two clips on the bottom.

Everything fits so snug that I might not neeed to screw the side panels on.

It was about C-02B, the CD-ROM cover -- when I was mounting mine (on an A05B case) the left side was landing on a rivet, so I had to shave off some plastic with a knife. Was just wondering if you had the same experience.

I will check tomorrow.Seem to fit ok though.It was flat when I tighten the screws.

Yea it almost seems just as easy/cheap to cut the top panel and stick a rad grill over the top of it (covers up any bad cutting ;)

blazestorm

Yes you can do that. Everyone has their own opinion what the want to do. This is my route after reading all the post here and at Overclockers.UK

I do not even know if everything willl turn out right, but the way I did my case for Myself is perfect!!!. I just added up all the costs and for 30 minutes of my time I have a custom case for not that much more money. The window will take a little longer but I have it all measured up and ready to go as soon as I get the tinted plexiglass material.

that looks great edvb. I like it alot. Looks super clean and stock.

Can't wait to see it completed.

Thanks haadij404

You and burdoror were my inspiration. The case is too clean to muck it up. I am going to stick with the original power and reset button as it just looks cleaner that way. Here are a few more pictures before sending the frame to the anodizer to get it anodized black.

Picture026.jpg

Picture028.jpg

Picture.jpg

What the estimated turn around time for Anodizing to be completed? Just wondering compared to power coating.

PureFLCL

I am sending it out Monday and they will have it Tuesday. Hard to say right now. For $50.00 + shipping I hope it turns out well. I just love the case and with proper wire management and the #2404 bronze smoked Plexiglas window with the stock look I am going for it should be a clean design that FrLyWr would be proud of. Architect and prairie will get you in the ballpark for what I am trying to do.

haadij404 has got it. I just want to get a little cleaner then him. A tough assignment for sure.

Hey All

I have a little bit of red in there and want to get a elegant lighting setup for this case. I like blue and just want a little glow showing the components in the smoked window. Everything will be black including the motherboard and the only red is the GTX275 edge band and the logo on the Corsair 620 PS. Everyone here got me to this point so help me out to get to the finish. Thanks

One last thing.

With my two Gentle Typhoon's 120mm fans blowing out on top how should the flow for the front and back Gentle Typhoon's 120mm fans be? Many discussions. Remember I have no lower cage and only have a 128G SSD mounted in the lower 5,25" cage for storage and OS.

If you have a video card up there you should probably have the fans up there blowing in, so as not to starve the cards of air. That's just a thought I had.

Hey All

I have a little bit of red in there and want to get a elegant lighting setup for this case. I like blue and just want a little glow showing the components in the smoked window. Everything will be black including the motherboard and the only red is the GTX275 edge band and the logo on the Corsair 620 PS. Everyone here got me to this point so help me out to get to the finish. Thanks

Just curious who you're having anodize it? I'd prefer anodizing over powder coating but most places would charge you $100 minimum most likely... $50 + shipping is much more reasonable.

PureFLCL

I am sending it out Monday and they will have it Tuesday. Hard to say right now. For $50.00 + shipping I hope it turns out well. I just love the case and with proper wire management and the #2404 bronze smoked Plexiglas window with the stock look I am going for it should be a clean design that FrLyWr would be proud of. Architect and prairie will get you in the ballpark for what I am trying to do.

haadij404 has got it. I just want to get a little cleaner then him. A tough assignment for sure.

These cases are great! I Love mine as well and I've been contemplating what to do with mine as well, I have never had and anodizing done before so I'm learning from your project..

Looking forward to seeing more, Thanks for sharing!

One last thing.

With my two Gentle Typhoon's 120mm fans blowing out on top how should the flow for the front and back Gentle Typhoon's 120mm fans be? Many discussions. Remember I have no lower cage and only have a 128G SSD mounted in the lower 5,25" cage for storage and OS.

When I finally get around to putting a system into my A05 I intend to set the front and rear fans as intake and have my top 2 as exhaust. Seems to make the most sense to me since heat rises.

When I finally get around to putting a system into my A05 I intend to set the front and rear fans as intake and have my top 2 as exhaust. Seems to make the most sense to me since heat rises.

Won't you still have a power supply fan exhausting out of the rear of the case at the same time as you are trying to intake from the 120mm fan right above the power supply?

Won't you still have a power supply fan exhausting out of the rear of the case at the same time as you are trying to intake from the 120mm fan right above the power supply?
^^ that, plus you should also think about equipping the front fan with a filter in this situation

Here's a project I recently completed on the A05B, the "Melodious RedBox". Painted car metallic Maroon red and encrusted with Swarovski crystals. Totally love this casing for it's ease of modability..

Generic components, Intel E5200, Asus P5kPL-AM/PS + 4Gb TeamXtreme DDR2, 500gb HDD.

IMG_1476.jpg

IMG_1468.jpg

IMG_1497.jpg

IMG_1480.jpg

^^ that, plus you should also think about equipping the front fan with a filter in this situation

So are you suggesting that the best practice would be to keep the front/rear fans blowing in the default directions and the blow holes exhausting air out the top?

No, I don't have the facts to argue for one configuration over the other, just bringing up something that I think is relevant. On a related note, I remember (albeit vaguely) somebody reporting on a practical analysis of this situation (basically trying it both ways) and finding that front exhaust was "cooler" by a couple of degrees ... I'd imagine there are many factors in play, and given that there are no irreversible changes involved in changing one setup to another, I'd suggest trying it both ways with one's particular setup and making a more informed choice.

No, I don't have the facts to argue for one configuration over the other, just bringing up something that I think is relevant. On a related note, I remember (albeit vaguely) somebody reporting on a practical analysis of this situation (basically trying it both ways) and finding that front exhaust was "cooler" by a couple of degrees ... I'd imagine there are many factors in play, and given that there are no irreversible changes involved in changing one setup to another, I'd suggest trying it both ways with one's particular setup and making a more informed choice.

Agreed.
And, in a small case like that, it will matter even more stuff like: what heatsink/fan your cpu has, which way it blows, your video card cooling, vented slot covers, etc. etc.

It has been argued repeatedly that the best case cooling is straight through ventilation, or the closest that you can get to that.

Back