I got my LianLi PC-A05B ! it's Small!

Martmann,
Thanks for the reply. I thought I'd read every page in this thread but somehow missed that one.
Do you think that BS-03 would fit a 5.25" opening in the front of the case; maybe behind a BZ-501 bezel?

No, its too big to do that. However, you can make you own, using a 80mm fan instead of the 120mm size that the BS-03 uses.

Here's how they're made, you just have to adjust the size appropriately:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33328
Can make it out of aluminum instead of wood if you'd like, and just mount it in the 5.25" bay with grommets

As promised, here are a few pics of my Mobile PC to wet your appetite. Imageshack messed up the first pic, but the second is clickable.

20520097fs2.jpg

Don't worry:confused:, all will be explained in the worklog.:D

No, its too big to do that. However, you can make you own, using a 80mm fan instead of the 120mm size that the BS-03 uses.

Here's how they're made, you just have to adjust the size appropriately:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33328
Can make it out of aluminum instead of wood if you'd like, and just mount it in the 5.25" bay with grommets
I followed that link and they are using a 120mm fan. Did I miss something?

No, I said you'd have to adjust the size appropriately (meaning: make it smaller sized for an 80mm rather than the exact thing he did for the 120mm)

As promised, here are a few pics of my Mobile PC to wet your appetite. Imageshack messed up the first pic, but the second is clickable.

snip

that's sick man. curious to see how everything's set up in the worklog. good job on it though man. pretty clever idea.

tobiath,
Thanks; I like the idea of building my own. My case should be here tomorrow and I'll be able to figure out what I need.

That's pretty sweet, no joke. I decided to go with a P182 when the free shipping dissapeared on the a05b, but I have to say, you PC-a05b owners are among the most creative modders I've seen in any arena (ie. outside of PC-building).

tobiath,
Thanks; I like the idea of building my own. My case should be here tomorrow and I'll be able to figure out what I need.

Just for further planning and reference, here are the official measurements for the standard bays:
The 5.25" bay is 5.75" W x 1.63" H x 8" D (or approximately 146.1mm W x 41.4mm H x 203mm D)
The 3.5" bay is 4" W x 1" H x 5.75" D (approximately 101.6mm W x 25.4mm H x 146mm D)

Just for further planning and reference, here are the official measurements for the standard bays:
The 5.25" bay is 5.75" W x 1.63" H x 8" D (or approximately 146.1mm W x 41.4mm H x 203mm D)
The 3.5" bay is 4" W x 1" H x 5.75" D (approximately 101.6mm W x 25.4mm H x 146mm D)

That sounds plenty big enough for the BS-03 but after seeing how to make one myself, thanks again for the link, maybe that space would handle a 140mm fan.

I'm going to mod my case pretty soon and replace all the fans with yate loon low speed fans. I was first planning on adding two exhaust fans on the top back part of the case so the video card would cool down a little bit. Then I started thinking if the second fan would make a difference or not. Should I add a fan on the side of the case? I'm stumped.

I'm going to mod my case pretty soon and replace all the fans with yate loon low speed fans. I was first planning on adding two exhaust fans on the top back part of the case so the video card would cool down a little bit. Then I started thinking if the second fan would make a difference or not. Should I add a fan on the side of the case? I'm stumped.

IMO unless you're doing some sort of crazy rad mod, then one fan will be plenty. The idea is just to pull the trapped heat out of that stagnant pocket. Any good 120mm fan will create a sufficient vent. A side panel fan is best used as an intake to get fresh air to a specific component with temps higher than the rest of the box. (usually a cpu or gpu)

As far as fans go, I'd recommend the Sythe Slipstream - Medium. They are just as quiet as Yate Loons and push more air. I'm sure someone will disagree with the numbers, but this is what I use and I'm very satisfied.http://www.jab-tech.com/Scythe-KAZE...0mm-Case-Fan-SY1225SL12M-1200rpm-pr-3943.html
Whatever brand you like, I'd recommend getting the "medium" speed. You can always under-volt them (with the included molex adapter) for noise, but you also have the capability to turn them up when needed. Nothing worse then temp regret over some newly purchaced fans. I use speedfan to control mine and they are DEAD silent at 60%.

I wanted to jump in with some new info before you made your blowhole. Go to your favorite hardware store and purchase a Dremel circle cutter. I don't know why everyone recommends a hole saw, but this is a lot cheaper and you can actually make any size hole you want! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HI5WTY

I'll have more details on my worklog by the end of the week, so keep an eye out on this thread for a link.
I am going to take brom42s word for it and get myself a hole saw and borrow a drill since this would be the cheapest way for me. If I cannot get a hole saw and a drill then I will consider a Dremel. My case should be here tomorrow so I'm psyched.

Thank you for the link btw, I bookmarked it for later.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I am going to take brom42s word for it and get myself a hole saw and borrow a drill since this would be the cheapest way for me. If I cannot get a hole saw and a drill then I will consider a Dremel. My case should be here tomorrow so I'm psyched.

I've used a hole saw with good results but I've had a lot of experience with them(Industrial Electrian). Go slow; especially as the pilot bit breaks through. If you go fast and the hole saw teeth grab you'll bend the pilot bit (and maybe sprain your wrist). It will still cut the hole but it will be bigger than you want and have ragged edges. Go slow as you're cutting, too, or you'll burn up the saw teeth. I use a hand held drill with a 1/2" chuck and variable speed control. I run it as slow as it will go without stopping and starting. I use as little pressure as I can and still cut. Then I clean it up with a hand held file.

Good Luck

I wish I could afford a hydraulic punch that size.

It all depends on how your air flow is set up. For example, on mine I turned around the hard drive fan to make it an intake. So I have 2 120mm intake fans toward the bottom of the case. (the 2 stock fan positions) To balance those I put in 2 120mm fans with a Ryan Rad Grill in the top. 2 fans in + 2 fans out = balanced air flow. My Seasonic PSU moves very little air, ends up being such a small amount when compared to the case fans that its effect basically gets rounded off.

The thing that made me happy I went with 2 120mm fans in the top is when I am running my HD4850 (my RMA is taking FOREVER) I can feel quite a bit of heat coming out of both fans. That card is a single slot solution and vents to the inside of the case. Even with the card pumping out all that heat, it has 0 temperature effect on my CPU, motherboard, or HDs since they are all getting directly cooled with room air.

BTW, my 120mm holes saw cost about $30, getting a high quality metal one really does pay off.

If you go fast and the hole saw teeth grab you'll bend the pilot bit (and maybe sprain your wrist).

QFT. If you go to fast it will grab and buck the drill. It can and probably will do damage to both you and your case it grabs and you are using a drill with some decent power in it.

I did some temp factory work. One of my co-workers was using a hole saw to set up for a new machine and he caught the bit. It bucked the drill hard and because of how he was holding it it hit him in the ribs and ended up cracking one. :eek:

QFT. If you go to fast it will grab and buck the drill. It can and probably will do damage to both you and your case it grabs and you are using a drill with some decent power in it.

I did some temp factory work. One of my co-workers was using a hole saw to set up for a new machine and he caught the bit. It bucked the drill hard and because of how he was holding it it hit him in the ribs and ended up cracking one. :eek:

Wow, that's one of the reasons why I went with the circle cutter. I didn't want to injure me or my case.;)
Another reason was the issue of size. When looking for a hole saw, I found 3 different sizes to choose from:120mm = 4-1/2" , 120mm = 4-3/8", and the most accurate 121mm = 4-3/4". Maybe I'm missing something, but 120mm = 4.72" so the first 2 are too small. I was covering my hole with a pre-made raised mesh screen I ripped off an old case which attaches on the inside of the panel, so any size other than a true 120mm wouldn't work. The circle cutter let me dial in the exact size i needed without worrying about poor convertion tables and hand finishing the hole.

What size hole saw do you use brom42? And what screen mesh do you use?

@Bruuce,

Have you cut your hole yet? What size did you end up with? I ask because 120mm is the size of the frame at the outside, the fan itself measures 114mm . Neither of the two holes in the A05 is quite 120mm, more like 116mm.

All hole saws make holes slightly larger than their specified size. I use 4 1/2" for 120mm fans.

@Bruuce,
Have you cut your hole yet? What size did you end up with?

Thanks for the info about your hole saw. What type of screen did you use over your hole?

I have cut my holes. None of the hole saw options suited my needs so I went with a Dremel circle cutter. It was cheaper, adjustable, sliced through the aluminum like butter.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yes. I fit a 3870x2 in mine when I had it. Both cards are the 10.5 ".

Awesome. I read somewhere they were 30cm which definitely wont fit in the case and I was all bummed out. That's great news. Apparently one of my buddy's friends got a job at the former ATI in Toronto and can get us 50% on reference cards. I am VERY interested in getting a 4850X2 once I see some power consumption specs. I ended up returning my 4870 because I found it make my room too hot, even when not gaming. I was pissed that powerplay didn't reduce the voltage on the 4870, but it did on the 4850.

Oh and I got my fangrill mounted and it's awesome. I don't need a fan pointing at my passive 7950 anymore.

Here's the final result: 240mm Stripe RadGrillz, #10 socket cap screws, Nexus RealSoft fan mounts, 2x Scythe Slipstream 1200rpm.
grill.jpg

Bruuce...your work is very nice..quick question I see that your video card has a lighted area where the fan is..is that a mod you did or is that standard for your video card..And which one is it??

great mod by the way..;) :D

20520097fs2.jpg

15lb shipping weight? when I brought this thing inside I seriously thought I had been shipped an empty box. MUCH lighter than my Stackers :) hell, I think a loaded drive cage from one of them weighs more than this entire case. It's almost a shame that this thing will only be housing a new file server

@Darkside

Thanks for the comments. I should have the worklog up tomorrow. The GPU comes with the light included. I was sad when i fir st learned this as I don't have any lights in my case and i didn't want to backlight my monitor when gaming. BUT the light is very low level and adds only a "glow". I ended up liking it a lot.

The name of my video card is in my signature, but if you have trouble reading grey on black 9pt. font;) then I'll just show you. Zotac GeForce 8800 GT (pre OC'd for you)
Look, the link practically buys itself.

@Bruuce

Nice work on that hole; it looks like it belongs there. Did you blacken the edges before you installed the mesh?
I noticed in your other photos that your rear fan is mounted outside. I'm sure you've got a reason and I'm anxious to hear it.

The holes I've cut didn't need any mesh at the hole (I just got my A05 and haven't started on it yet). I used mesh on the front panel of my old HP case after I cut out the two access doors (with a jig saw). That mesh is a square piece and I got it at the local hardware store. The material was heavy duty fiberglass reenforced screen intended for house windows and doors where pets are banging against it. I painted it silver to match and it looks sturdy until you touch it. It's pretty flexible but goes back into shape. I'd post a pic but this is the wrong forum for it.

you'll need a drill, a jigsaw (rotary tool if you really want to), a straight edge and some masking tape. Mask off the top panel, position your grill and mark the screw holes+location of the interior edges for the cut; extend the marks for the cut with the ruler. Drill the screw holes, then a pilot hole for the jigsaw and cut the outline.

Someone there posted a few more pics
pca05case01.jpg

pca05case02.jpg

pca05case03.jpg

Looks somewhat nice but that won't do much for the front exhaust issue. Most psus don't need that mesh spot, and it's too low to make a difference with the front HD exhaust fan I'm guessing. :confused:

Why wouldn't this work with the power supply which sits right in the front???
I'm thinking the modder looked at this as an inlet for fresh air and a different look for the A05..I think I'll work out just great.

Lianli could move the buttons to the top and make a bigger mesh front for fan/psu exhaust...

I drilled two blowholes on the top of my case for 120mm fans, then I made the bottom two fans as intake. The three hard drives I have generate a TON of heat when they're all on and raise my CPU temp by ~5c. Anyone with top top blowholes try making the rear top blowhole intake, middle top blowhole blow out, bottom back intake, and front fan blow out with good results?

Guys, can I fit a Corsair 1000HX with a pair of ATI x2's in this case? What would limit this possibility?

Back