I deep fried my computer, literally!

Sc4freak

Limp Gawd
(click on the thumbnails for a larger pic)

I'm not sure which forum to post this, but I just wanted to share one of my stories with you guys :D. I had recently read a few articles on submersion cooling, where you take your computer and dump it into a tub of non-electrically-conductive oil. It seemed to work really well, and was cheap. So I saw it as a type of poor man's water-cooling.

I bought a large aluminium oven tray and 9 litres of canola oil.

Since I didn't really want to screw up my good computer, I tested it out on an old Pentium II 266 with Nvidia Riva TNT2 Ultra. I placed the motherboard in the tray, and began pouring canola oil all over it, until it was partially submerged.

And it worked. The computer booted into Windows 98 fine, and I even started up good old Quake 3 and started playing.

But I soon became hungry for a fried snack - and since I had used all the oil in the house I couldn't fry myself anything. Then I had a brilliant idea. Why not use the oil that the computer's in?

I placed an electric stove under the aluminum tray, and turned it to full blast. Soon, the oil reached frying temperature and I dumped a few chips into there. Meanwhile, the computer was still happily chugging along running Quake 3.

Eventually, though, the strain of 120 degrees C ambient temperature and the load of Quake 3 caused the computer to overheat and crash. I rebooted it, and it loaded back into windows. Although Quake 3 still crashed when trying to play. At that point, the chips were ready. I turned off the heat and enjoyed my snack while I waited for the oil to cool so I could use the computer again.

Mmmm... toxicated fries...

EDIT: reuploaded pics

EDIT2: Reuploaded pics again

EDIT3: 5 years later, reuploaded pics to imgur. THE INTERNET NEVER FORGETS.

Last edited:
lol that is awesome. Cooking with computers... I don't think I could approve any more. :D

:eek:

You are freakin' weird. :D

Thanks for one of the most entertaining posts I've read in a long time.

you have too much time on your hands, lol. anyhow, how were the fries/chips?

Now that was one weird post. I like your shoe collection though.

Sc4freak said:
Soon, the oil reached frying temperature and I dumped a few chips into there. Meanwhile, the computer was still happily chugging along running Quake 3.

I hate to always be nay-saying, but those "chips" look suspiciously like french fries.

;)

Darnit. Now I'm going to have to try this over the weekend. :mad: :D

Also, I hope you realize that those fries most likely have a lot of lead in them. You didn't eat them, did you?

modi123 said:
I hate to always be nay-saying, but those "chips" look suspiciously like french fries.

;)
Bah, I live in Australia. And in Australia, we go by the UK system and call them "chips". :p

if you where a real man you would eat the chips!

Nice little experiment. bored?

This is front page material if I ever saw it. Nice man....Nice. :cool:

Excellent idea. Let's see this on Hard's front page for pure innovation :D

What is that in the upper left corner of your second-to-last picture? Looks like a Commodore :confused:

Sc4freak said:
Bah, I live in Australia. And in Australia, we go by the UK system and call them "chips". :p

Kiss a koala for me...

~snoogiens~

Sc4freak said:

Then what do you call chips?

I think we (Americanos) are actually the only ones who call them French Fries. Everyone else calls them chips. Kinda like football. Why we call football football, I don't know, everyone else calls Soccer football. We just gotta be different, and illogical too. Everyone else (almost) uses the metric system, but we use feet, pounds, dyn, horsepower, etc. Dumb if you ask me.

belmicah said:
I think we (Americanos) are actually the only ones who call them French Fries. Everyone else calls them chips. Kinda like football. Why we call football football, I don't know, everyone else calls Soccer football. We just gotta be different, and illogical too. Everyone else (almost) uses the metric system, but we use feet, pounds, dyn, horsepower, etc. Dumb if you ask me.

We want to be different from everyone else. I thought that was always a good aspiration.

Awsome, but.......

....SICK!!!!

That is just WRONG!!!!!!

My hat if off to you and being used to fry chicken. What a wonderful idea. :)

MetalX said:
Has my vote.

Bandwidth limit exceeded on the pictures, got another host?
Yeah, I uploaded them to a new host. Hopefully it allows for higher bandwidth usage.

That, sir, is excellent! I love the way you think, its so...outside the box. :D

belmicah said:
Yeah, but you Americans are just weird... :p Its funny, we have at least 3 ball sports that are called football, not including soccer (which we call soccer, oddly enough).

Awesome post dude, where exactly do you live? Was it fairly cold room temp to keep the system running, or a fairly normal? Love the theory work, you just made my night :D I wonder what kind of system is needed to deep fry foods without any external heating...

4keatimj said:
I wonder what kind of system is needed to deep fry foods without any external heating...
Anything with a Prescott would do just fine :)

Need some sort of prop to circulate the oil automatically, overclock, and volia, no need for the hotplate. Nice modd

Back