• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

I could Cry. 4890 died

Status
Not open for further replies.
No never im happy. I dont plan on going eyefinity. I wanted to go Tri-fire but it will only do crossfire wich is perfectly fine for me.

I cant wait till tomorrow. I got an interview finally tomorrow after what seems to be forever then I come home to my 5770. Running the onboard 4200 right now is terrible. I want to get on some games but they play like crud. My monitor only supports HDMI anyways so it works out with the HDMI
 
Hey, the HD4200 is no pushover, though if that is your only system, probably don't risk overclocking the IGP...
 
An AMD build is fine for Crossfiring cards of 5770 or similar performance. If you ever plan to go with faster cards I would recommend a Core i5 setup.
 
If you find a cheap 5770 to crossfire then I say go for it. If not, then save a few more bucks and get the 6850. The price should be down by then. Performance is on par if not better than 5770. Min and Avg FPS is more stable with a single 6850 than 5770.
 
Im going to crossfire the 5850 at tax time. There is no need to go with a 6850 when I can jsut snag another card & put it to use.
 
Ok look what came in the Mail today Woot. I didnt install Drivers yet cause im not sure wich drivers would be Best at the moment. So im taking any advice. Id like to reuse 10.10e since ive never had a problem with them.

100_1271.jpg
 
Then do. I had reasonable success with 10.10e. I only changed to 10.12a for the HD6970s.
 
I ran a heaven bechmark with tessellation OFF & no AA pulled 30 FPS. Ive already notice a HUGE difference in just the way my PC runs even with programs on my desktop. It may not be high end for some but to me this card is awesome. I used to have this funky stutter when dragging my programs across my desktop with Aero on or off but now its gone.

I got other good news Right Aid called me today & hired me to work in their Warehouse picking orders. Atleast now I got a job so I dont have to struggle. Now I have Catalys AI set to Normal & how do I set MLAA or is it auto set in my Catalyst
 
Last edited:
Well its a job that I didnt have for the last month so im pretty excited to finally be able to get food on the Table. Question about MLAA on the 5770

Im wondering about this MLAA. Im using 10.10e. I read that MLAA doesnt work well with Vsync on. but it still functions properly vsync off correct?

Do all games use MLAA? Sorry just confused lol. I did notice that with MLAA on especially in BC2 the text is semi blurred

MLAA VS AA = Does MLAA make the graphics better then AA or is AA still a better option.

I have MLAA turned on in CCC & the Use application settings is still check marked. Am I supposed to uncheck that & just have MLAA checked?
 
MSAA is the better choice. MLAA is for games that don't support MSAA(or any other form). It looks like ass in my opinion. Too blurring.
 
Here is alittle description of the 5770 compared to my 4890. The 5770 is running alot better then my 4890 period. My 4890 has some desktop stuttering where you drag an icon and you could see it skipping, I am able to run BC2 pretty close to max with HBAO enabled. I couldnt do that with my 4890 at all. I now the 4890 has more performance but i have never seen it run like my 5770 is.

Edit: I noticed the image quality in MLAA isnt the greatest. I think ill stick with MSAA. The image in MLAA looks off blurry
 
Last edited:
I decided to run some furmark on the card & noticed the temps were getting really high. low 90s & the idle temp wasnt right either. Around 65c so I decided to strip the card & I found someone had fun with the Thermal.

I got the temps right now at 41c. I havent stressed it yet but here are the pics. Now to myself that is alot of Thermal this is why I dont use Thermal Pads

100_1290.jpg

100_1288.jpg

100_1286.jpg
 
Jesus Christ that TIM application is ridiculous!!! I think that thread that was made a month ago saying 'Always Reapply TIM on your GPU' is totally justified. My god that's bad. I'm in shock. :eek::eek::eek:

EDIT: I just want to confirm, I see in the first image there is a gray gunk that is pushed up at the edges of where it contacted the GPU core. Is all of the gunk around the GPU core the TIM, the same way it was when you took it off?

I might be misunderstanding something.

EDIT2: Holy fuck. Bat shit insane.

EDIT3: Run some Furmark. I'd be really interested to know how it affected your load temps.
 
Last edited:
Yes the stuff that is pushed over the edge was already there. I pulled straight up no twisting or anything. Thats alot of TIM no matter how you look at it. I cant believe it myself that they used this much TIM. By switching TIM i went from a 65c Idle to 41C idle. 24c difference
 
Im not getting Furmark. When I ran it the first time it showed my GPU starting from 64c. Now that I reapplied the TIM in Furmark Stability test it starts off now at 75c

When running GPU-Z Not while running furmark GPU'z shows Idle Temp at 41c as before it shows the GPU at 65c. Im not sure why Furmark is showing such high temps

I start furmark and it starts off at 75c within 5 seconds its over 90c. Something has to be up with my Furmark
 
Last edited:
Ok im going to redo the TIM. Im just not sure about this now. My idle temps are at 41-43c but once I start to stress the card. The temps on Kombustor & furmark start off at 75c & go up from there. I dont know whats up. I know I put enough TIM on it
 
Last edited:
Have you tried the Asus Smartdoctor utility? I use it to monitor temps on my 5770 Cucore. With the stock TIM my card idles around 30 C and gets to high 70s with furmark.
 
No I havet tried that at all. Im wondering if its because my TIM needs to Cure. Is the same TIM as AS5. I know that AS5 takes about a week to Cure. Right now my Idle temps are 42c

The only other TIM i have is Corsair A70 TIM.
 
I just ran 5 mins of Kombuster the Temps went from 42c to 86c didnt go over that. the 86c still seems high to me. Im going to assume maybe it needs to Cure for the week? Im not sure since I dont know much about this.
 
I will rerun furmark and see. The last time I ran Furmark with the old tim is was pushing 90+. Right now in Idle Temp its 43. I will let you know in a few mins.
 
Ok 4:40 seconds on Furmark did not go over 90c. GPU-Z before I started said 43c. Furmark Started the test at 54C and got as high as 90c. This is only Stress testing also. I have no tryed to see what the temps get while gaming.
 
That sounds pretty good to me. I'd let run for 10 minutes and if it stabilizes at 90 I think you're good.
 
Im going to go ingame for a bit and see what the temps Reach. Im sure they will not reach anywhere near 90C since im not stressing the card. I just had to make sure because even the Faulty 4890 never reacher 90c while stressing. One good thing is the Idle temps from Stock TIM to my TIM dropped 24c.
 
Ok 4:40 seconds on Furmark did not go over 90c. GPU-Z before I started said 43c. Furmark Started the test at 54C and got as high as 90c. This is only Stress testing also. I have no tryed to see what the temps get while gaming.

I just ran furmark on my desktop over logmein and after 12 minutes my temp max was 84 C. Something does not seem right.
 
I just tested some ingame play temps stayed at around 77c. Im going to do some more testing in a little bit daughter is driving me nuts lol. wont let me get any good tests going
 
Last edited:
Ok @heatlesssun I ran Furmark for 15 mins temps didnt go over 89c. Stayed stable.
 
I think that's ok, especially if you ran the stress mode. It'll never get that stressed in real world game play.
 
Yeah i am done messing with it. Going to pull an over nighter on BC2 :) I decided to move my desk to a cooler area of the House. I usually keep it in our bedroom but the bedroom no matter what is the hottest part of the house. Its now in a room where its nice n cool
 
I did go through and clean the entire card. fan, heatsink & my friend came over & I applied some Shin-Etsu X23-7783D.
 
84C in furmark is nothing., If anything your card is too cool if that's all it's getting to!
My 4870X2s got to about 100-101 in OCCT and that's typical for those cards, nothing to be worried about. It's below the shutdown threshold (I think it was 120 or 130 for those cards), and it's because there was no TDP cap on the HD4870X2 like there is with modern cards. Thus whilst you normally see 286W printed about the 4870X2, in OCCT they ran up to about 380-390W.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top