I Bought a RTX 3080 Today!

I Bought a RTX 3080 Today!

• Yes

Votes: 74 10.7%
  • No

Votes: 619 89.3%

• Total voters
nVidia finally has bot preventing measure. I just got myself denied access to nvidia.com after I pressed F5 consecutively (out of frustration) 5~6 times.:cool:
View attachment 280482

Web server connection limit by IP, not rocket science. Took 'em geniuses long enough to implement it.

The hysteria around this RTX 3080 GPU is hysterical! pngguru.com.png

He is implying that circumventing IP or session-based blocks is trivial. Most of the bot herders already have their systems cycle source IPs as a matter of course.

Apparently the EVGA cards have pretty bad whine ...
Preliminary reports indicate it’s coming from the fan motors as the whine goes away when they’re turned off. Word going around is that EVGA changed the fan motors they typically use.

Not a problem for me since a water block solves that issue.

Almost bought Eagle Gigabyte 3080, was in store ready to buy in next day. But in last moment i canceled because i want 3090 :)

not every ISP offers ipv6 as far as I know, so they'd be eliminating legitimate customers. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Even if they don't, You can get a ipv4->6 tunnel....at least you used to be able to and it used to be free. Not sure if that is still around.

I have a /56 from my isp. I can use any of 2^72 iip addressess that all come right into my house, so restricting by IP isn't all that useful.

i hear that all the time from guys with EVGA cards. Never have had problems w/ ASUS cards... knock on wood. They just like to limit stuff like voltage and on my 980ti strix they f*cked up the lighting (which gets disabled after OS boot) but other than that build quality is top notch.

Never seen this before, maybe I've have not notice. Looks like a lot of pissed off folks this round to go to that effort, while somewhat comedic it does speak loudly of the misdirection some feel Nvidia lead them to. I am just waiting now for images of fully stacked 3080 mining rigs to show up by some bragging -> that would probably make this go south fast.
the sad part is people are bidding on that crap did you see the one on the bottom? dudes gonna end up w/ a GT210 for $69!!!! lol actually that's pretty funny.

Gentlebots, start your scripting!!

While the possibility exists UltraTaco remember this one thing: as we have learned about these bots that have blighted this situation so badly they need an exact date and time to work at their highest effectiveness because of the way they need to be programmed/scripted ahead of time. Jacob at eVGA in this Twitter conversation we saw said, "sometime this week". It seems working with these bots, it's kind of like traveling at lightspeed in the Millennium Falcon where without exact coordinates for the jump you'll fly right into a supernova or a meteor shower or a comet and then BOOM! Ship blows up. How that example pertains for bots is they need an exact date and time to run. That's the reason they were so effective on Thursday morning. It doesn't seem by what I've studied that you can just unleash them the very second you see an "Add to Cart" signal fly up with little to no programming/scripting setup for them. Once we have Add to Cart fly up at say eVGA's store for example we'll potentially have a short window while scalpers who didn't get to play in the reindeer games of Thursday prime their bots. Also, somehow I knew the words, "eVGA" and "coil whine" would become a thing again with the 30 series. I might've mentioned it before but with eVGA I have owned a 480, 680, 980 and 1080 all from eVGA in the past. None of my 4 cards had coil whine fortunately so I'm still going for an eVGA card if at all possible hoping my luck holds. Out!

Those are most likely Female cards. The male ones don't whine. Look for an extra pin on the power connector for males and a hole in the female cards.

PS - The male cards MAY whine from time to time, just tell it that you appreciate it and make it a sammich. Whining gone for a very long time.

Last edited:
The insanity and hysteria of this launch is something that I have never seen before. Understandably, people want this product, but their behavior and panic that they can't get their GPU, are insane. This situation takes "first world problems" to a whole new level. View attachment 280894

NVIDIA LAUNCHES THEIR MID-TIER CARD AND...

View attachment 280893
Not gonna be active on Discord tonight. I'm meeting a girl (a real one) in half an hour (wouldn't expect a lot of you to understand anyway) so please don't DM me asking me where I am (im with the girl, ok) you'll most likely get aired because ill be with the girl (again I don't expect you to understand) shes actually really interested in me and its not a situation i can pass up for some meaningless Discord degenerates (because ill be meeting a girl, not that you really are going to understand) this is my life now. Meeting women and not wasting my precious time online, I have to move on from such simple things and branch out (you wouldnt understand)

Stem,

1) Do you even Copypasta bro?

2) Plenty of stock on the bay if you want the shittiest 3080 @ top end 3090 prices!

3) My reasons for wanting a 3080 were to buffer the week waiting period for the 3090,
then step the 3080 down to my HTPC. At this rate I'll just get a 3090 when available and let the Titan Pascal ride another generation in the HTPC.

4) The Bot ass reaming we received on 9/17 was only the "tip" of what were gonna get on the 24th.

5) Were only loosing our minds, because its FUCKED UP when some dickwad bots up 50 cards to scalp. That is not capitalism, but rather a small time criminal enterprise and they should be shot in the face.

The RTX 3090 is shit-value for gamers, as it's going to be barely faster than the 3080. Unless you have any real use for that huge 24GB framebuffer, it's a waste of money. But hey, since NVIDIA won't provide any professional drivers for it, it is mostly a waste of money. Unless, of course, NVIDIA wanted to make the 3080 look like a steal. Their marketing department is pure genius. Of course, you can use boring AI applications in Linux with the 3090 and take advantage of all that RAM, and some other apps in Windows that don't come to mind right now. I bet that next year the 3080 To will launch for $999, which will have the exact same GPU as the 3090, but only 12GB of RAM on a 384 big bus and it will sell like crazy. I would have live for the 3080 to launch with 16GB RAM, but you can never expect NVIDIA to throw you a bone.

We all know that SLI is dead, and honestly, who cares. Ironically, the only card with NVLINK support is the 3090. I think that we will get a mid cycle, or quarter cycle refresh with more cards that support NVLINK. Of course, NVIDIA wanting to be more like Apple, created a new NVLINK bridge for the 30 series cards.

The insanity and hysteria of this launch is something that I have never seen before. Understandably, people want this product, but their behavior and panic that they can't get their GPU, are insane. This situation takes "first world problems" to a whole new level. View attachment 280894

NVIDIA LAUNCHES THEIR MID-TIER CARD AND...

View attachment 280893

Baby want toy now! I don't know who's worse: the scalpers or the people who can't get cards acting like someone just murdered their mother.

Between the memes and people memeing ebay auctions because they know there is a script looking for 3080 auctions it has really made my smile. Usually it worries me that nvidia would look at ebay prices and think that is what they could have sold the card for. But there is no way they can use this data for that.

Guess well see when Hopper comes out. RTX4080 might be 599 or ir might be 29999.

Sounds like a pretty bad case of BHS.
Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought.What do you think. Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know.

Baby want toy now! I don't know who's worse: the scalpers or the people who can't get cards acting like someone just murdered their mother.

Has it not occurred to you that the voice you've read my post in is in fact the voice in your head? It's your voice, it bears your tone, and your judgement values. How about this: Why are you being a little bitch? I am the matriarch of redditarian gang banging, dear. Do you not know who I am? I am desperately lonely. Are you trying to be my friend? Because you've got an interesting way of going about it. I'm ok with this, I can work with this, this is what we do. I do this. (That's an ICP reference. Get it?) Or am I wrong? Are you hurt or offended by something I said? Have I wronged you somehow? Are you upset? Do you feel trolled? As your friend, I feel obliged to inform you that if you said "yes" to any of these questions, you might be misattributing things to me which do not exist. If you don't understand what that means, how about don't sit there and tell me I'm both somehow subjective and also wrong. You can't have it both ways. So what's it going to be, chummer? I am The House. And The House says the door is open. Are you going to walk in here, fuck my shit up, and steal my properties? Ok, that's rude. We could also just chill. If I think I'm someone who thinks they're deeper than they actually are, then clearly I must dig deeper. I died once, true story. Listen... everything I've said in this thread... you must read in a voice with a friendly tone. And before you interrupted me, a youthful jubilence. You're abrasive, I'm sure you already know that. I understand I can be abrasive as well. I can understand you, I need you to understand me. If you don't understand me, we can't be friends. If we can't be friends, then you best get to stepping because you're in my way. Are you good?

It somewhat reminds me of the iPhone 6 launch. Looking back at it, it was a piece of shit. Come to think of it, I no longer own any Apple products. I think that people have literally lost their minds. Between work and family, even if I wanted a 3080 and could get one, it would just sit for several weeks until I have time to get to it. Still, laughing at how but hurt some are that they couldn't get a card is always fun, not to mention rubbing it in.

There is hunger, war, and despair all over the world, but bo one bats an eyelash or even cares, but God forbid Mr. Sudo Enthusiast doesn't get his banana, it's the end of the world. People are loosing their minds over something that will be on every street corner within a month or two.

BHS stands for Butt Hurt Syndrome, and you clearly seem to have it. And no, I will not talk about my personal life on a public Internet forum, which doesn't mean that I don't have plenty of life experience and that I haven't been through hell at one point or another in my life. So don't make assumptions about people you don't know nothing about. Don't you have an RTX 3080 to track down and order? Keep hitting F5 until you get blisters :ROFLMAO:

In a fight? Here is what you do, my friend.

Bring your chin down to protect your neck while continuing to stare in his eyes. Bring up your hands and say "I don't want no trouble ya hear". Flex your traps and core. Slightly bend your knees.

Here comes the important part. In a low voice begin to say "wolowolowolowolowolo" slowly increasing in volume. He should be surprised by now. Begin to sway side to side and loosen all facial muscles and your anal sphincter and your kegal muscle. By now you should be pretty loud and your opponent will have stepped back and appear visibly shaken.

Begin to piss and shit yourself and let your eyes roll to the back of your head. By now, you're chanting "WOLOWOLOWOLOWOLO" at the top of your lungs.

He will run away. Everyone within a one mile radius will feel a terrifying presence within their soul.

Marvel as you ascend into your planar form.

I placed another order on a German website that will ship to Switzerland to avoid taxes and then will come to UAE through forwarding. Not sure when it will ship or if it will ship but the idiots already charged me for it and it says backordered. It is an ASUS TUF OC edition which I believe is coming out on 24th. I think I have lost my mind with these 3080s.

I placed another order on a German website that will ship to Switzerland to avoid taxes and then will come to UAE through forwarding. Not sure when it will ship or if it will ship but the idiots already charged me for it and it says backordered. It is an ASUS TUF OC edition which I believe is coming out on 24th. I think I have lost my mind with these 3080s.

Yeah, I’m starting to wonder whether many people have multiple orders going on. I canceled one and ordered another, and I’m sure that I’m not the only one, LOL. We will probably see some not too popular cards pop up for sale in very limited numbers as people cancel. The frenzy will continue for weeks!

Have a chance to test out your card yet?

I saw a few threads popping up on the EVGA forums about the third fan (by power connectors) having a bit of a whine. Have you experienced anything like that? Just curious if it's a vocal few or more widespread. Haven't received mine to try out yet.

Yes I did. I did see the threads but I don't appear to be having the same issue. I have two separate power cables connected but that doesn't appear to be fully related though I saw it mentioned.

Significant improvement over my 1080 for sure.

1600613176427.png

Yes I did. I did see the threads but I don't appear to be having the same issue. I have two separate power cables connected but that doesn't appear to be fully related though I saw it mentioned.

Significant improvement over my 1080 for sure.

. View attachment 280986

Hah wow, I'd say so. Nice improvement. This will definitely blow my 980ti out of the water. (Well anything will, as it's dead lol)

Good news on the whine front - if anyone runs into the noisy third fan, EVGA released a firmware fix already here: https://forums.evga.com/EVGA-3080-XC3XC3-Ultra-Quiet-Fan-Firmware-Update-m3084561.aspx

Showed up several hours prior to open and joined the camp out.

Very cool. How many did that store get vs. the line exactly? I'm really tempted to give this a go, but I'm wary about the Denver Microcenter being screwy.

Very cool. How many did that store get vs. the line exactly? I'm really tempted to give this a go, but I'm wary about the Denver Microcenter being screwy.

The problem is that it sounds like the 3090 stock will be significantly less than the 3080 stock, and we know what happened with the 3080. I can see individual MC stores getting 3-5 cards total (if that). I could see some store not getting any in smaller markets.

Back