Hurt Locker Lawyer Says Illegal Sharing Must End

HardOCP News

[H] News
Listen up all you good-for-nothin', lowdown, pirating thieves…this guy is coming for you! Quit laughing, there’s nothing scarier than a lawyer that works on commission.

Thomas Dunlap is the attorney representing at least a dozen independent movie studios, including the makers of the Oscar-winning film, "The Hurt Locker." If you illegally shared any of his clients' films online then Dunlap, a founder of the law firm Dunlap, Grubb & Weaver may have collected your Internet Protocol address. He may, at this minute, be requesting a subpoena that compels your Internet service provider to turn over your identity.

Good thing I pirated it from Canada lolol

(Just kidding, looked like a shitty movie - it wouldn't be worth my bandwidth).

Arr, me hearty.

Avast yer swashbucklin', or ye be keelhaul by thar scallywag landlubber.

I haven't seen Hurt Locker, and all this bullshit has made me not want to see it ever.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Murder must stop!!! Burglaries must stop!! Corrupt politics must stop!!! BLAH BLAH BLAH.

This guy is certifiably insane if he thinks he can end piracy or even think that piracy will ever end.

wait, so this guy wants to kill of his own revenue... who is he gonna sue if there are no pirates?

This guy is certifiably insane if he thinks he can end piracy or even think that piracy will ever end.

Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. The thing is even is he knows it wont end its bad job security to say all his efforts wont change anything.

I think I will buy the DVD and make thousands of copies and place them on every college campus and lable it: Copy this movie and share!"

Wow, maybe this guy and Jack Thomson should team up, build a hall of justice shaped like a fist with middle finger extended, and cause his clients to suddenly have their stuff 100% pirated just on no-longer-customers' spite alone. lol

Also, and honest question here, but in his interview, which was linked to this story, he says that his clients who spend their own money to make something have a right to be compensated. Umm... how does that work, exactly? So i can make a movie saying fuck you mpaa put it to a terribly played guitar soundtrack, and then sue everyone in the world because no one paid me for it? LOL. Seriously, I'd like to know how they got into their heads that anything they create deserves to be paid for? Not advocating piracy here, but just saying that maybe they didn't do so great sale wise because it actually wasn't that good and they are just blaming "lost sales" because their over inflated ego is hurt. I'm willing to bet this lawyer's clients are spending way more money funding this guy than they ever lost with their "lost sales" bs :p

/rant haha, maybe i shouldn't be posting as i'm trying to give up caffeine :p hahah

These companies abuse their rights. They are making a business out of filing lawsuits. People barely have rights anymore.

I'm in europe bitchtard. (i'm SO classy) Anyway, throw him to the script kiddies!

But pirating IS like stealing. I use it to fund my crack addiction with illegal torrent I sell to others (especially terrorists), and me pirating brings down property prices in my area...

There are far far worse thinga to be more conerned about than pirates.

Argh Mattey....

Stop making shit movies and charging me 12 dollars to watch them, then we'll talk KTHXBAI!

I finally saw Hurt Locker a week or two ago.

I'm sure in some ways it could have been better, but I don't see what the big deal is. Its not so bad that it isn't worth paying for, but I also wouldn't go out of my way to watch it again either even for free.

Either way, I guess I missed what the big deal is about this movie over say, others that are getting pirated and bootlegged.

If I give a chest of money to someone to watch and come back to see they gave it away to everyone does NOT mean I can sue everyone.
The pirated video was given to screeners for awards and they screeners copied them. Why not prosecute the screeners taht copied them? How simple is that?

I love that part where he says people go through a lot of technical loops and underground info to figure out how to pirate movies from torrent sites, because nationally published magazines like Maxiumum PC literally explain it step by step tongue-in-check with the old line "but this is not "really" legal". Then have awsome write-ups on how to build a server that will check to see if your latest torrents are released. Hell, everyone who has read about FreeNAS knows it comes with bittorrent built in. Do you think they expected you to fill your 6 TB server with 8,000 copies of Linux? Google "how to setup bittorent" and you will see the biggest names in the computer buisness with step by step info.

5 bucks this guy has some illegally download music on his computer, or someone in his family or friends has downloaded a movie or some music off of Limewire or something, and we wont be seeing him go after them.

4chan has started sending out cease and desist or else notifications.

er, wait, I think they have moved directly to the "or else" part....

I'm in europe bitchtard. (i'm SO classy) Anyway, throw him to the script kiddies!

But pirating IS like stealing. I use it to fund my crack addiction with illegal torrent I sell to others (especially terrorists), and me pirating brings down property prices in my area...

This, is hilarious.

I'll pirate this movie 400 times over and he still won't ever see me in court, fucktard has no idea.

Newsflash Mr. Lawyer: The pirates are smarter than you. Unless God Almighty smashes human civilization back to the stone age, you lose. It's just fact. Piracy happens, and hardcore pirates wouldn't pay you to watch the movie even if they couldn't pirate it. The more energy you waste trying to stop them the more frustrated you'll get. Why not use that energy for something positive, like making better movies and providing incentives for people to go to the theater or rent or buy a DVD?

Piracy cost 1.3 billion jobs in the U.S. alone last year, and over 8 billion jobs worldwide.

Do you really want that on your conscience? Don't pirate.

It's like 99 cents to rent a move at a red box, lol. Your going to download a movie that would cost 99 cents to rent...and then be potentially sued for $2900? Dude just take like 1 mins to lookz undah teh cowch end foine fore qwarterz.

Piracy cost 1.3 billion jobs in the U.S. alone last year, and over 8 billion jobs worldwide.

AAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *takes deep breath*

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA.

If there was only legit 3rd party evidence that shows said claim. Then and only then, would I stop laughing at the shit these music/movie corporations keep spewing outa their mouth.

Piracy cost 1.3 billion jobs in the U.S. alone last year, and over 8 billion jobs worldwide.*

*roughly 80% of said jobs still wouldn't exist even if all of those pirates were to stop pirating. In lieu of being able to obtain content by pirating it, most of these people would simply not buy it anyway (either because they don't want it or because they can't afford it).

All you'd do by eliminating piracy is shrink your viewership heavily. You create relatively few jobs, and your income increases by a relatively small amount. Doesn't seem worth it for all the money you'd have to pour in to even put a dent in piracy rates.

*roughly 80% of said jobs still wouldn't exist even if all of those pirates were to stop pirating. In lieu of being able to obtain content by pirating it, most of these people would simply not buy it anyway (either because they don't want it or because they can't afford it).

All you'd do by eliminating piracy is shrink your viewership heavily. You create relatively few jobs, and your income increases by a relatively small amount. Doesn't seem worth it for all the money you'd have to pour in to even put a dent in piracy rates.

I think you're taking that comment way too seriously...he's obviously joking with the numbers...

1.3 billion jobs in the US ? What's the population in the US again ? Over 310 million or so ?
And 8 billion jobs worldwide ? We're barely 6.5 billion in the entire world...

So if I wait to see a movie on HBO, Shotime, Starz, I'm no better than a pirate?

So if I wait to see a movie on HBO, Shotime, Starz, I'm no better than a pirate?

you're an uber mega dirty pirate! To the gallows wit ya!

This lawyer is insane. I think his ego is as big as the state of Texas. I can't wait for his entire email archive to be leaked so we can have a good laugh.

could this mean the end of filesharing? omg this is like the worst news ever! i'm gonna delete everything from my fileserver, run 1000 passes with a fileshredder and pray to jesus for my salvation. or maybe i won't... i mean whatever.

Murder must stop!!! Burglaries must stop!! Corrupt politics must stop!!! BLAH BLAH BLAH.

No shit! go fix the world's governments first then come cry to me about a little tcp/udp traffic.

It was an ok movie. About the file sharing everyone knows its wrong, FFS.

It's wrong - yep agree

Is it wrong to the level these people are claiming it to be - not by a longshot

Is it going to be stopped by a lawyer - nope

Back