Humor me while I overthink this... case recommendation

Sorry for joining the discussion late! I don't think I'll be changing anybody's purchasing decision here since jamsomito is looking specifically for watercooling cases. I do however want to offer some corrections and suggestions for the data presented here on SilverStone cases picked.

USB 3.0
You can actually buy TJ07, FT02, and RV02-E with USB 3.0 now, we have been in transition on this since last year.

General cable management
I believe the score for TJ07 is a little low here. There are many examples of TJ07 system builds that show very clean cabling. This case came out in 2004/2005, so its cable management isn't as good as newer cases now, but it was considered great when it was introduced. The only other case on your list that was released during the same period is CM Stacker 830, which you gave it score of 5 so I think TJ07 should at least be the same.

Qualitative Mobo size supported
Both FT02 and RV02 were designed to fit larger than ATX boards such as ASUS ROG series. Basically they can fit same size motherboards as Corsair 600T with no interference issues so shouldn't they also score 8 in this category?

PSU size flexibility
FT02 and RV02 have virtually unlimited space for PSUs (over 300mm). You gave Lian-Li PC-P80N a 10 in this category and they quote PSU size of 300mm on their website. So shouldn't FT02 and RV02 receive 10 here as well?

Materials
I think the grading here is maybe a little too sample. Not all aluminum or steel cases are created equal. There are varying thickness, surface finish, and construction used that contribute to overall structural rigidity and feel. I think SilverStone should earn extra credit here for being the first and currently still the only PC case company to have cases built with aluminum unibody frame. TJ07 and FT02 should both have higher scores.

Build quality
Not sure how I would grade this myself, but I am surprised you think Lian-Li, Cooler Master and Corsair have better build quality than our flagship-level cases such as TJ07 and FT02, both of which have aluminum unibody frames that use automotive-caliber press machines to bend and are hand-tuned before assembly.

:cool::cool::cool:

Just wanted to chime in with a note - Newegg is running a 20% off select NZXT cases & PSU sale, plus FREE shipping!

48hrs only, and you'll get the codes from your Newegg sales email if you are subscribed.

The Switch Special Edition, for example - drops from $179.99 plus $19.99 shipping to $143.99 total.

:)

Stratosrally - thanks for the review. I don't think I've read that one so I'll check it out tonight. Also, BONUS POINTS for pointing out the NZXT 20% off. I bit :D

Tony Ou - Wow. That's all I can say... besides many, many thanks. This is exactly the feedback I was looking for! With so many cases, and I did my research over such a long period of time, it's tough to stay consistent from one to the other. You've got some very good points, and I'd like to take your comments into consideration. Give me a little bit and I'll try to update the numbers.

Stratosrally - thanks for the review. I don't think I've read that one so I'll check it out tonight. Also, BONUS POINTS for pointing out the NZXT 20% off. I bit :D

Tony Ou - Wow. That's all I can say... besides many, many thanks. This is exactly the feedback I was looking for! With so many cases, and I did my research over such a long period of time, it's tough to stay consistent from one to the other. You've got some very good points, and I'd like to take your comments into consideration. Give me a little bit and I'll try to update the numbers.

I've had a few Silverstone cases, the latest being an RV02 and TJ08-E. The RV02 was a little plasticy but the TJ08 was excellent. I would judge their quality somewhat higher than Lian Li's soft, easily broken aluminum and screw holes that strip out with no effort. I never really understood peoples love of those cases, just because the edges are straight and they come anodized doesn't mean the quality is excellent (I have 2 Lian Li cases at home right now, they're OK but not great).

As far as the Switch goes, compared to Silverstone or Corsair cases of similar size, the quality is not the same either. They put together nicely, but it is sort of flimsy for its size. Mine bends quite a bit when I pick it up. It is hard to criticise though because of the price, compared to the $269 800D that can't pack as much water cooling, for example.

I got the 810 up and running, and so far I love it. It has good build quality, easy to customize, plenty of room for a variety of different options, etc.

The only complaint I have is that the hotswap bay uses a standard molex 4 pin connector but i'll get over it.

The included 140mm fans are quite nice, quiet, and still move a decent amount of air.

All I need is to get a modular PSU and i'll be happy until I am ready to dive in to water cooling, and I am pretty confident I will continue to use the switch 810.

EDIT: I saw an earlier post regarding which fans to use and I recommend the Cougar Vortex series. I transplanted my existing 120mm fans to compliment the 810 until I buy some 140s and love em. They also seem to be popular for use with WC rads also and I have seen almost 100% positive reviews.

Last edited:
OP might need some medication. It's not something you're going to pass along to your grand kids, it's just a case, buy one.

I'd go for the Switch 810, mines is coming soon. It's big enough to fit 3 120-140 MM rads on top and 2 Dual 120 mm rads on the bottom, the funny thing is, the hard drive bays can hold fans also.

EDIT: I saw an earlier post regarding which fans to use and I recommend the Cougar Vortex series. I transplanted my existing 120mm fans to compliment the 810 until I buy some 140s and love em. They also seem to be popular for use with WC rads also and I have seen almost 100% positive reviews.

My only concern with the Cougars (and some other brands that use similar bearings) is that laying flat there are many reports that they are prone to excess bearing noise. Mounted as front or rear fans they are supposed to be great.

I plan on installing an intake next to the PSU and I prefer to have all my fans the same model. I would think (though I may be wrong) that having multiple fan sizes and types creates noise that covers a wider spectrum - giving the impression of a louder case. Probably overthinking it, though! :p

Now, there may be another way around this - there are 2 different bearing types available from Cougar in 140mm fans - here's one that might be better blowing vertically:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835553004

And then the more commonly used one for all the other locations:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835553003

My only concern with the Cougars (and some other brands that use similar bearings) is that laying flat there are many reports that they are prone to excess bearing noise. Mounted as front or rear fans they are supposed to be great.

I plan on installing an intake next to the PSU and I prefer to have all my fans the same model. I would think (though I may be wrong) that having multiple fan sizes and types creates noise that covers a wider spectrum - giving the impression of a louder case. Probably overthinking it, though! :p

Now, there may be another way around this - there are 2 different bearing types available from Cougar in 140mm fans - here's one that might be better blowing vertically:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835553003

That is the fan i'm currently using only in the 120mm flavor. I have 2 mounted up top and on my old case I had one mounted up top and didnt experience any bearing noise. But I'll keep an eye on them for now.

Edit: This is the exact fan I have: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835553005

Last edited:
That is the fan i'm currently using only in the 120mm flavor. I have 2 mounted up top and on my old case I had one mounted up top and didnt experience any bearing noise. But I'll keep an eye on them for now.

Edit: This is the exact fan I have: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835553005

Some people aren't having the fan noise problem. It's just been mentioned enough to where I'd keep an "ear" out for it. The 120mm is only available with the fancy bearing unlike the 140mm - and it is the bearing that has occasionally caused issues.

Some people aren't having the fan noise problem. It's just been mentioned enough to where I'd keep an "ear" out for it. The 120mm is only available with the fancy bearing unlike the 140mm - and it is the bearing that has occasionally caused issues.

Ok, that makes more sense. I plan on giving my 120's to a friend when I'm ready to get the 140mm

OP might need some medication. It's not something you're going to pass along to your grand kids, it's just a case, buy one.

People keep cases for several years often, son. Almost as long as you've been alive!

img20120630090255.jpg

img20120630090340.jpg

:eek:

Hah, you can just say it: TLDR.

Took me a while to register that by "cafe" you meant "cage". I'm ok with a simple mod like that, but then you're losing some of the hard drive cages.

Yeah that was a type & should have been cage..

So as for loosing them.. Currently I have my bottom cage still in as I have not gone WC yet. But with the declining prices of SSD,s how many drives do you actually need in your main rig? Currently I have a 256gb SSD & a 500gb laptop mechanical drive & my next SSD upgrade will spell the end of the mechanical in my desktop all together. I also dont bother putting in an optical drive anymore since other then the OS everything is downloaded & for the OS I have a flash drive that I leave windows 7 on so I can install from that if needed. So removing all of the 3.5" bays still leavs a pair of 5.25" drive bays that with the use of adapters can be 3x 3.5's or even 8x 2.5's leaving much more then needed.

This is all of course a matter of preference, where as mine tends to lean to keeping anything extra on my server with redundancy & not on my desktop.

Also as your mason jar is empty.. what ya order?

*snip*
Also as your mason jar is empty.. what ya order?

:confused:

img1518q.jpg

:eek: :D

I got the 810 up and running, and so far I love it. It has good build quality, easy to customize, plenty of room for a variety of different options, etc.

The only complaint I have is that the hotswap bay uses a standard molex 4 pin connector but i'll get over it.

The included 140mm fans are quite nice, quiet, and still move a decent amount of air.

All I need is to get a modular PSU and i'll be happy until I am ready to dive in to water cooling, and I am pretty confident I will continue to use the switch 810.

*snip*

Yeah, for the most part I agree. I'm putting together a build log complete with time-lapse video and initial impressions. I'll post a link when it's ready. Video's uploading to YouTube now.

My only gripe really is the fans seem to be decent quality, but manufacturing looks rushed. Some of mine wobble slightly. Other than that... excellent case. I'm very, very happy with it. Also, glad I went with the matte black.

People keep cases for several years often, son. Almost as long as you've been alive!

That^. Add a tight budget to the fact that I only upgrade my case once every 10 years, I wanted to make sure my money was spent wisely on something that I'd be happy with for a long time. Plus... getting there is half the fun amirite!?

I'd go for the Switch 810, mines is coming soon. It's big enough to fit 3 120-140 MM rads on top and 2 Dual 120 mm rads on the bottom, the funny thing is, the hard drive bays can hold fans also.

Have you received yours yet? If so, how do you like it? The next thing I'm saving up for is a water cooling kit. Can't wait. There's so many possibilities with this case...

I'm looking forward to seeing your build, jamsomito - post those YouTube links, try to show the matte black off so we can make our color choices more easily!

UPDATE: Fixed a few numbers on the chart for consistency (I've provided my responses to Tony Ou below in red). I think it's time I put this to rest. If somebody would like to take over, please feel free - I'll send you the file. Otherwise, it's served it's purpose. I bought my new case, and it's just as great as I thought it would be. Many thanks to all for your input, it's truly appreciated. Check out the OP for the updates!

Note, I'll still be around, I'm just taking a sabbatical from this particular chart for a while. Now that it's set up, it's not hard to update, but taking screenshots, stitching them together (because the spreadsheet is wider than my screen), posting them online, and updating the references just takes too much time to keep up. That is, especially now that I'm going to be studying for the PE exam in the fall for my engineering licensure. Wish me luck!

Sorry for joining the discussion late! I don't think I'll be changing anybody's purchasing decision here since jamsomito is looking specifically for watercooling cases. I do however want to offer some corrections and suggestions for the data presented here on SilverStone cases picked.

USB 3.0
You can actually buy TJ07, FT02, and RV02-E with USB 3.0 now, we have been in transition on this since last year.
I looked around briefly (emphasis on briefly) and I couldn't find exactly which ports were converted from 2.0 to 3.0. I assumed all 2 ports on each the FT-02 and RV-02 were changed to 3.0, and only 2 of the 4 on the TJ07 were converted. If this isn't exact, USB 3.0 is not weighted very heavily (because I don't have any USB 3.0 devices...yet), so the difference in the final score will be small.

General cable management
I believe the score for TJ07 is a little low here. There are many examples of TJ07 system builds that show very clean cabling. This case came out in 2004/2005, so its cable management isn't as good as newer cases now, but it was considered great when it was introduced. The only other case on your list that was released during the same period is CM Stacker 830, which you gave it score of 5 so I think TJ07 should at least be the same.
Good point about the CM Stacker. The TJ07 looks like better than a 3 here, but after considering all the other cases in the list, the CM Stacker isn't really at a 5... there's no cable management holes (although I thought I remembered seeing a later revision that did... maybe not). So, I gave them both a 4. Sure, you can make something that looks great, but if it's not easy to do, my cables won't look great. I'm inside tinkering around too often to double each little task's amount of time, going in and tidying up the cables.

Qualitative Mobo size supported
Both FT02 and RV02 were designed to fit larger than ATX boards such as ASUS ROG series. Basically they can fit same size motherboards as Corsair 600T with no interference issues so shouldn't they also score 8 in this category?
Another great point. I originally brought these down because those larger mobos are awfully tight in the RV/FT-02 whereas the 600T has another row of grommets as a buffer. After I thought about it though, that would be reflected in the overall interior space category, so it shouldn't affect the numbers here. I bumped the FT/RV-02 up to an 8.

PSU size flexibility
FT02 and RV02 have virtually unlimited space for PSUs (over 300mm). You gave Lian-Li PC-P80N a 10 in this category and they quote PSU size of 300mm on their website. So shouldn't FT02 and RV02 receive 10 here as well?
One thing I tried to take into account with this field is the issue of encroaching on space used for something else - either interior fans, radiators, or pumps/reservoirs. The space under the PSU looks prime for a water cooling pump (pun intended... wah wah wahhhh). 9 is a pretty good score already, and I think I'm going to keep it there for this reason.

Materials
I think the grading here is maybe a little too sample. Not all aluminum or steel cases are created equal. There are varying thickness, surface finish, and construction used that contribute to overall structural rigidity and feel. I think SilverStone should earn extra credit here for being the first and currently still the only PC case company to have cases built with aluminum unibody frame. TJ07 and FT02 should both have higher scores.
Good points, but that's already being taken into account in the build quality category. Aluminum has some characteristics that steel doesn't - particularly density (weight), and usually finish (brushed or shiny, you don't usually see that on steel). Also, I think some plastic on cases is a good thing, if it's used properly. Good quality plastic can save weight, add durability, and possibly even allow you some styling that metal simply can't achieve. So, I think I'm going to stick with my materials scores because their properties are inherent. If they're used improperly, that's reflected in build quality.

Build quality
Not sure how I would grade this myself, but I am surprised you think Lian-Li, Cooler Master and Corsair have better build quality than our flagship-level cases such as TJ07 and FT02, both of which have aluminum unibody frames that use automotive-caliber press machines to bend and are hand-tuned before assembly.
Yeah, that's just me being inconsistent over time, and partially also due to the fact that I have never actually seen some of these cases in person. Thanks for these comments. I was unaware that the FT02 was entirely aluminum. I thought the inside was the same OEM frame as the RV-02, with an aluminum body. Also, all I've ever heard about Lian-Li is that they were nearly the best money can buy. However, I just read a comment/mini-review from a realist, and it sounds like that may not be true, although, they have so many cases I'm having a hard time remembering them by their serial-number-esque names, so I don't really want to look them all up again to knock them down a point. I bumped the TJ07 and FT02 up to 9's here (because nothing can be as good as caselabs... although, I've never really seen any of those in person either :confused:).

So yeah, much appreciated. I'm a little disappointed that the Silverstone cases didn't score higher for me, because I really like the RV02 and FT02. As a matter of fact, a couple years ago the RV-02 was my dream case. I guess they just don't have as much in some areas as I would have liked according to the importance of each feature to me. Also, it seems like they're in one price bracket too high, and price is weighted very heavily for me. Generally speaking; however, I clearly see that Silverstone is very creative with their designs, which is commendable and certainly admirable. If I was looking for the 90deg rotation (or whatever it is the Silverstone case had of interested to me) specifically, I probably would have waited and spent more money to get it. It just depends on how important those things are to you as the buyer.

I'm looking forward to seeing your build, jamsomito - post those YouTube links, try to show the matte black off so we can make our color choices more easily!

That was actually something I had planned to do. I hope Google finds my pics because I had an awful time finding pics of the matte black Switch 810 before I bought it.

Here's one for ya:
img1609rl.jpg

More pics in my build log here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1038893482#post1038893482

Also, if you're interested, time-lapse build video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32acKJ8TNlU

Nice! Glad you got a matte black 810. My fans seem ok, but I will eventually swap them all out for cougar 140mm fans and use those with a water cooling setup further on down the road.

I commented on both your vids and your other thread. Glad everything went so well for you!

No shipping damage is always good. I noticed your mentioning the window attachment method - that's about the only thing I dislike about the case. Also, you removed the hot-swap bay, just as I would...if it didn't use a molex for power I might actually stick my SSD in there, but nevermind - no big deal.

Thanks! I always like hearing peoples opinions on my posts.

I could see why somebody wouldn't like the way the window was attached to the case, but personally it doesn't bother me. What bothers me slightly is the window's optical qualities leave a bit to be desired. It's a little wavy, and colors disperse in the reflections (looks a little like oil in water). Also, I hear if you're using a UV light inside your case that the window is actually slightly photoluminescent - it'll start glowing with the rest of things.

About the hot swap - it's got a molex power connector, but the actual port for the drive is SATA power and data. So you don't need a molex drive to use the hot-swap bay.

Just thought I'd mention that Newegg is running a 20% off plus free shipping on Lian Li cases using promo codes for a limited time.

Enjoy!

Alright, so its been brought to my attention that the FT-02 is not an entirely-aluminum case. The outer shell is aluminum, and unique in the fact that it's all one piece (from the front to the bottom to the back), but the internal frame is the same as that of the RV-02 (steel). Unfortunately life happened and I don't have time to update the spreadsheets on the OP, so I wanted to post this here in case somebody ends up reading through the whole thing. I'll also post a quick text update on the OP as well. This small change will be nearly negligible on the case's overall scores though.

Very complex charts. I've been thinking about doing something similar but using a basic sliding scale.

As for your FT02 woes, the performance and strength of the case is top notch.
Only CaseLabs and Silverstone's TJ11 are made completely from heavy gauge aluminum.

I wouldn't rate $100 steel cases on the same scale as $400 aluminum cases.
It's easier to cram a bunch of features in a steel case.
Just like cars, a Honda or Mercedes both take you from point A to B, but they are built quite differently.

All very good points, WorldExclusive. As I was doing this analysis that was more and more apparent with every case I looked at. The point of this analysis is not to compare the cases between each other, but to determine which best fit my needs. The weighting scale is where this becomes a very personalized analysis, so if someone else were to go in and enter the importance of each category to them, the results would be drastically different.

BTW - everyone, the NZXT Switch 810 is at 20% off on Amazon again...

Not only that, but it is the newer SE (Special Edition) model in Gunmetal (hoo-hah!)

From $179.99 down to $143.99, what a bargain - especially if you are a Prime member, because you then also get free 2-Day Shipping.

Alas and alack, I am not yet to where I can reward myself with this purchase - hopefully in 2-3moths I can find it at this price again.

I found between Newegg and Amazon it goes on sale about once a month. If you're patient, you will get a deal in a few months.

Thanks - I'm sure a few months will be better than a few moths, anyway - who knows how long that could take?

:D

I found between Newegg and Amazon it goes on sale about once a month. If you're patient, you will get a deal in a few months.

I found a website called http://www.camelcamelcamel.com that is perfect for this. I know the name sounds ridiculous but hear me out. You enter in the product number or url according to whatever tab you need (amazon, bestbuy, newegg, zzounds) and it will give you a price history of the last year or so. Helps you decide if now is the time to buy or wait. Also lets you put in a alert price that will email you when it gets down. One of my favorite new tools.

This special is for the Gunmetal SE edition of the NZXT Switch 810:

Newegg sale - from $179.99, take 20% off with code from email - then mail in $20 rebate!

End cost $123.99...

Rebate only good through 8/30 - jump on it if you're on the fence.

20% code good through 9/3.

20% off code will also work for the $169.99 gloss black or gloss white versions, as well as the $179.99 matte black SE model.

They do not have the mail-in rebate, according to Newegg.

To those that are ready to buy - good luck!

As for myself, I'm still having to sit on my hands and curse these sweet deals - am still in class completing a certification before I will allow myself the titanium SE as a reward.

:(

Back