Humor me while I overthink this... case recommendation

jamsomito

2[H]4U
I tend to be indecisive, so I'm turning to [H] for some advice or affirmation.

I am going to be purchasing a new case some time soon (next month or two). The ultimate goal is to have something that I can build my first water cooling system in, so keep that in mind. I've listed a few cases that I'm interested in below, as well as all the stats for each.

I then went through a series of analyses that weighted each "feature" according to its importance to me, and then broke each feature out into a category. From there I normalized the scores and weighted again, this time with the importance of each category to me. The end result is interesting.

Here's the cases I looked at and the values I entered for each feature.

casestats11.jpg

Here's the totals with each feature weighted individually.

individualweight7.jpg

Here's the totals with each category normalized and weighted.

categoryweights7.jpg

All things considered, it looks like I'll be going for the NZXT Switch 810. What do you think?

EDIT: 6/10/12 - updated all pics with additional cases. With the new choices, it still looks like the NZXT Switch 810 is the best option.

EDIT: 6/16/12 - updated all pics with additional cases. Expanded sheet to allow for more entries. Refined scoring summaries and added conditional formatting to categories.
Also, the sheet was too big to fit everything on my screen for a proper screenshot, so below is another screen capture that shows the feature weights and intermediate calculations.

casestats12.jpg

EDIT: 6/17/12 - updated all pics with additional case per request (Khaos), including image in second edit. Also changed some values on the Switch 810 to more realistic values. It's still coming out on top for my needs.

EDIT: 6/24/12 - updated all pics with additional cases per request, including image in second edit.

EDIT: 6/24/12 - updated all pics because I forgot to include price on the colossus. oops.

EDIT: 7/1/12 - updated all pics with new numbers per [H] feedback from Tony Ou (thanks). Also, this will likely be the last update to these images - putting together the screenshots is taking too much time. If anyone wants the spreadsheet or wants to take this over, let me know!

EDIT: 8/4/12 - PLEASE NOTE: the FT-02 is not an entirely aluminum case. This was my mistake when putting everything together. It should be combined aluminum/steel as the outer body is aluminum but the internal frame is steel. Sorry, just don't have time to keep the spreadsheet updated any more :(, but I wanted to put this here to avoid confusing anyone else. This one field will have a negligible effect on the overall scores for the case though.

Last edited:
As far as full towers go, I think that it is a very nice choice - especially in the newer matte gunmetal color.

I didn't think anyone was more prone to overthinking a future puchase than myself, but I stand corrected!

:D:D:D

Someone was bored this morning. :D

Switch is a nice pick. If you don't mind a cube form factor and have the coin for fans, Case Labs are great boxes especially for watercooling.

Thanks guys.

Truth be told, I am in love with the CaseLabs STH10, but the cost is just too prohibitive. I was surprised how well it scored despite the price though. Maybe someday...

Here's a few other incorporated factors for the statisticians out there:

pricescoring.jpg

materials.jpg

I personally own a Lian Li A05-N and would see it being a challenge to fit a custom loop in it. Grant it not impossible but difficult. Switch is a nice case, I have a friend who swears by it.

I personally own a Lian Li A05-N and would see it being a challenge to fit a custom loop in it. Grant it not impossible but difficult. Switch is a nice case, I have a friend who swears by it.

I've seen it done, and it is glorious. All internal too, with a 2x120 and 1x120 rad.

I've seen it done, and it is glorious. All internal too, with a 2x120 and 1x120 rad.

Well then props to them for accomplishing that feat of ingenuity. I have a hard time with big hands in such a small case. But definitely a full tower is all sorts of room to maneuver and change setups as necessary.

I know... it really is a shame that the A05 didn't come out higher because I really like the case. I gave it straight 10's for aesthetics and size, and a 9 for general quality. There's just too many other factors like interior space, flexibility, expandibility, and water cooling where it just falls short of my needs. I have seen some water cooled A05's that just look awesome, but as a first time water cooler and as somebody who likes to putz and tinker, I think more space is a wise decision.

Wow... I'm always over analyzing/doing calculations... but wow... nice analysis though! Its useful in my selection... though I'm fairly certain I'm going with the switch 810

With all the other costs in water cooling, just do what I did any buy the TH-10. Sure the case, with options, is likely to be over $600 and domestic shipping charges alone were about $60. But hey, it is thick aluminum and made in America and will likely last a decade if you do not scratch the powder coating.

Otherwise, good cases (especially for the money) are the Switch 810 and the Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra, which is essentially the same as the Xigmatek case except with a flat top that is more conducive to large top mounted radiators.

I am all for over-analysing things. However cases are just as much about appearance as function. If you dont like the look of the case, there is no need to settle for the perfect 'score', you can pick another case that fills your needs but isn't an uglier than Madonna first thing in the morning. There is nothing wrong with the Switch, its a good case and will fit your needs if thats what you really want.

(but what you really want is an A05. Just surrender to the inevitable.)

With all the other costs in water cooling, just do what I did any buy the TH-10. Sure the case, with options, is likely to be over $600 and domestic shipping charges alone were about $60. But hey, it is thick aluminum and made in America and will likely last a decade if you do not scratch the powder coating.

Otherwise, good cases (especially for the money) are the Switch 810 and the Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra, which is essentially the same as the Xigmatek case except with a flat top that is more conducive to large top mounted radiators.

I agree with everything you said, and I am expecting this case to last me 10 years (my last one did). However, I just don't think I'm at the point in life to be spending this much on a case. My wife knows I'm pretty serious about this hobby, but that'll take some convincing. In time, my friend. ;)

I did not know about the Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra. I just checked it out, and it's got another leg up on the Xigmatek - there's a large square grommet to cover the 2nd CPU cutout in the mobo tray :D. I like that. I also really like the flat top over the Xigmatek too. I like the flexibility in mobo sizes, but I'm not really looking for a dual-CPU mobo, at least not at the moment. This case adds 3" of length to the Switch 810 (which is much longer than my current case already), so this is a down side for this case for me. I know I said I want the CaseLabs STH10 which is bigger still, but if I had that one, I'd make it the centerpiece for the room. lol

I am all for over-analysing things. However cases are just as much about appearance as function. If you dont like the look of the case, there is no need to settle for the perfect 'score', you can pick another case that fills your needs but isn't an uglier than Madonna first thing in the morning. There is nothing wrong with the Switch, its a good case and will fit your needs if thats what you really want.

(but what you really want is an A05. Just surrender to the inevitable.)

Yeah, the Switch is still more "aggressive" looking than I'd prefer, but the matte black makes it understated enough that I would be comfortable with it. I agree there's no such thing as a perfect case - the above spreadsheet was just my way of sorting out my thoughts and helping me see things in a different light. It's just a guideline, in the end I'm still going to trust my gut feeling, which is what I'm hoping all of you can help refine.

I think I've been through the entire A05 thread here and I like every single rig I see in there. Maybe I'll end up with one for my old computer guts?

Only thing wrong with the STH10 is price. Sure, its got some features that I personally wouldn't use... right at the moment... but for flexibility, its freaking awesome! My next case will be an STH10.

So speaking of gut feelings, here is what I'm really most interested in this go-around:

Good quality - I don't want it to feel flimsy, and I don't want any pieces to warp so as to make installing components frustrating (side panels, optical / HDD bays, mobo tray all included)

Fan filters - I have lots of fans, albeit running slowly. I want good fan filters that are easy to remove, clean and replace. Ideally, every inlet and roof-mount would be filtered.

Flexibility - I like to tinker. Lots of options for rad locations, drive bays, expansion slots, cable routing. Also, easy disassembly is key - I really like the side panel latches on some of the Corsair cases. I want to open this up regularly and move things around.

Some room for expansion - I want this case to last for 10 years. I guarantee I will fill up this case by then (hard drives, expansion slots - thinking eyefinity soon, optical bays, extra rad locations, larger mobo sizes)

Decent size - It's gotta go on my desk for now. The CaseLabs deserve their own spotlight, which I don't have yet, and the Xigmatek is too big. The Switch is even bigger than I'd like, but it will still fit on my desk.

Window - If it doesn't come with one, I need to be able to cut one. If it's too small, I need to be able to cut a bigger one. I work in my PC enough that I want to see the fruits of my labor. I want a huge window. Period. (things like the storm trooper would be hard to cut and fix a window to)

Looks - Honestly the items above are what's most important to me. I really don't want something that looks awful, but I can give a little because I know there's no such thing as a perfect case. However, my tastes are usually for things like the Lian-Li aluminum cases - sleek, stylish, slightly understated with clean lines.

--------------------

Also, I put quite a bit of time into my decision matrix spreadsheet - if anybody wants it to look at your own cases, PM me and I'll send it over.

CM Storm Trooper is available with a factory side window now:

http://www.cmstorm.com/en/products/chassis/Trooperwindow/

I saw that window. It's definitely a nice feature, but I think eventually I'd like a bigger window. If I had to cut that side panel, the "bulge" in the side might be difficult to work with.

Pick a case yet?

I just got a request to add a few cases:
Corsair 800D
Corsair 700D
Betfenix Prodigy

I think along those lines I'll add the 650D as well... it's got the same side panel latches as the 600T that I really like.

If I had to pick today though, I would most definitely go with the NZXT Switch 810. I've only got $125 saved up in my hobby budget right now, so the purchase will have to wait until next month. What better way to pass the time than expand my analysis!? :D

the Corsair 400R isn't bad.... very nice and attractive price.
The white/black 810s are $149 - $20MIR at Microcenter right now!

The prodigy is the case I want for my NAS build... not sure its big enough for any WC...

I'm also lucky that my budget requires me to wait...

I can't decide between the Corsair 550D and the Switch at the moment.

I really prefer my PC sitting to the right of me on my desk - so the 550D would be much quieter.

However, I recently moved my Scout under my desk (as a temporary solution because of how loud it is) and I could see getting the Switch instead and leaving it down there.

It's a better case for dealing with my SLI'd GTX 580 video cards.

Since I could keep my PSU (200mm long Corsair HX1000W) and still install a bottom fan in the Switch - the cost difference actually is not a factor.

The 550D would require me to get a shorter PSU to accomplish that.

I really think the 550D would run too hot with no bottom fan and 2 GTX 580 GPUs...

the Corsair 400R isn't bad.... very nice and attractive price.
The white/black 810s are $149 - $20MIR at Microcenter right now!

The prodigy is the case I want for my NAS build... not sure its big enough for any WC...

The prodigy is built for WC in mind. You can fit two 240 or like 3 120s or a 120 and 200 in the front its pretty diverse in what can fit for rads in it along with 4 2.5 drives full length video cards 320mm air cooling you can fit up to a 160mm cooler and for 80 bucks free shipping form ncix its pretty amazing lil case

The Switch 810 is a beautiful case, I have been eyeing it for a while. After watching TTL's review and water cooling guide on youtube, I keep coming back to it. I just can't bring my self to replace my Lian Li PC-B25F at this time. I just don't really need anything that large for a single gpu, air cooled system. Still, it would be a blast to work in.

Shoot, you made me look at it again! ~grin~

Please don't take offense . . . superior Japanese culture.
Meanwhile, the rest of us might take offense... :mad:

I would definitely throw the 550D into the equation. I like the 810, but I can not stand it in the white color as it reminds me of a refrigerator. Also, removing the front fan filter with screws sounds incredibly stupid, I am not sure why NZXT thought that was a good idea. Otherwise, this is one of the best designed cases you can buy right now imo.

Last edited:
UPDATE: Added 5 additional cases to matrix and posted new screen shots in the OP. Thanks to all for the suggestions. Go check it out.

I would definitely throw the 550D into the equation. I like the 810, but I can not stand it in the white color as it reminds me of a refrigerator. Also, removing the front fan filter with screws sounds incredibly stupid, I am not sure why NZXT thought that was a good idea. Otherwise, this is one of the best designed cases you can buy right now imo.

Added the 550 D; thanks a lot for the suggestion. It is a very nice looking case. If I was going for a silent build, this would be towards the top of the list. However, it adds a bit of restriction to cooling, and the cable management indentations in the mobo tray limit the mobo options a bit. I really like the side panel release mechanisms, and it seems to be really well built.

I laughed when I read your comments about the white 810. Now that you mentioned it, that's all I can see. It's a good thing I'm looking at the matte black version. ;) Regarding the dust filters, I don't have any first hand experience, but my impression would be that nobody would ever need to unscrew the front filter from the plastic housing. Dust will be stuck between the filter and the plastic, but you could just blow some compressed air in the reverse direction (from the opposite side it usually sees flow) to shake it loose, then run the whole thing under water to rinse it clean. Since the front is plastic, there's no fear of rusting or anything like that. Maybe it's different in practice though...

Surprisingly, the 650D seems to have come out in second place for me (if you weight each category individually. It's still 3rd or 4th when weighted by category, which is still a great place).

When I first started looking around, I really liked the Fractal Design Arc Midi. Still do. I guess after looking at the numbers it's just lacking in flexibility and internal space.

Ive managed to cram 560mm^2 of radiator space in the 650d, with 2 water pumps, and space for 3 hdd's. More if I could be bothered.

Personally my favorite midtower for W/C and IMO the only option. Though Fractal designs made a cheap one that can slip a 360 rad at the top.

Ive managed to cram 560mm^2 of radiator space in the 650d, with 2 water pumps, and space for 3 hdd's. More if I could be bothered.

Personally my favorite midtower for W/C and IMO the only option. Though Fractal designs made a cheap one that can slip a 360 rad at the top.

Can you post some pics or send me some links to pics? Part of helping my "gut feeling" will be how I personally visualize my water cooling loop and options for flexibility in the future. Also, how much modding is required for what you have?

I've got 3 lines left. Suggest some more and lets fill it up!

I'd have to suggest the Fractal Design Define R3 USB 3.0

I just picked one up for my fileserver and I really like it. Minimalist design with solid/substantial engineering and easy to swap rails for the drive slots. The nicest part though is the sound dampening, making it one of the quietest cases you'll find. The dampening comes at the cost of temperature though which has a slight affect. But if youre not gaming or anything with some major video card, it shouldn't even be noticeable.

Cooling system
* Fan controller for 3 fans included
* 1 rear Fractal Design 120mm @ 1350rpm included
* 1 front Fractal Design 120mm @ 1350rpm included
* 1 front 120mm fan (optional)
* 1 bottom 120mm/140mm fan (optional)
* 1 side panel 120mm/140mm fan (optional)
* 2 top 120mm/140mm fan (optional)

The optional fan slots on the top and side panel are blocked with a removable panel that also has the sound proofing on if you need more cooling. The two top fan slots can be used to accommodate a radiator.

fd-definer2-5.jpg

11161520_4ce22298d3c18.jpg

define_r3b.jpg

Last edited:
I just bought a matte black switch 810 on amazon last night... a few parts down, many to go on my build...

Just watched a vid on the Switch 810. Its pretty nice but I think I still like the 650 more :)

Ok, I have suggestions of Fractal Design Define R3 USB3.0, and CoolerMaster HAF X. I always like the Fractal styles, but I'm not the biggest fan of the HAF styling... I hear it's great for water cooling, so I'll go ahead and add it anyway. Can anyone recommend any other LianLi cases?

I just bought a matte black switch 810 on amazon last night... a few parts down, many to go on my build...

Congrats! Let me know if it lives up to its reputation.

Umm caselabs. You wasted that whole list when you could just buy caselabs hands down the very best engineering there is.

Not a huge fan of the original scoring system. Though I see how it is based on the features importance to you personally. Which makes sense and it was interesting none the less.

Nowadays I just find you like a case or you don't.
Expandability is important however no amount of native rad space can make me buy a case I don't like the look of.

Also, keep in mind you can buy a lot of custom panels for lian li's and stuff.

No love for silverstone?

Edit:

Umm caselabs. You wasted that whole list when you could just buy caselabs hands down the very best engineering there is.

If they made a Non double wide mid tower I'd be all over it.

Back