Hugo Barra picks the OG Droid as sentimental favorite, what's yours?

Medion

[H]ard|Gawd
http://www.droid-life.com/2013/05/1...ola-droid-as-his-all-time-sentimental-device/

I'm not limiting this to Android. What's your favorite sentimental favorite smartphone?

For me, it was the Nokia E71. The thing just looked and felt sexy. Full aluminum body, quality camera for the time, brilliant screen and front-facing keyboard. Using Joikuspot I got unlimited mobile hotspot. I was in love with this phone and still kind of like it today. I was disappointed with the follow-up E72. The switch to touch-screen phones pretty much ruined this lineup and prevented a real E73 from being released (though one was released for T-Mobile USA, but it was a slightly modified E72). The body style was replicated with the Nokia N8, a phone that I would have drooled over some more had it included Android. It was too late for a Symbian device at that point.

nokia-e71-gray-front_back.jpg

I've only ever owned 5 different cell phones:

Crappy LG flip phone
LG Voyager
OG Droid
Galaxy Nexus
Note 2 (current phone)

OG Droid is definitely the most sentimental, followed closely by the semi-smart (feature) phone; the LG Voyager. I actually modded my Voyager for DUN tethering and used BitPim to put all my personal music and stuff on it. It was an awesome phone with a great keyboard and stereo speakers. The VZ Navigation on it was pretty decent too actually. The resistive touchscreen was pretty unresponsive for todays standards, but it still had some decent apps on it. At least I had Peggle on it, which is on Android, but I think only saw an initial release, then never got updated to support anything but legacy WVGA phones and seems to be removed from both the Play Store and Amazon App store now. I don't think that game was compatible with any of my 3 Android phones. But that's Popcap's fault, their support on Android has been horrible in all their games.

I know it's fairly recent, but I'd have to go with the iPhone 4. I loved the display at this time, and it was just before the smartphone boon of 4.3" and higher screens happened.

Probably the OG Droid for me as well. I still have mine and it still works though I don't use it. I wonder if I could get a few bucks for the thing. It could get laggy sometimes, but so does my SGS2, and I really miss having a physical KB.

Last edited:
Nokia 3310. It was a tank, only needed charging every 4 days, and it made me eat major crow on my feelings towards texting. You could text incredibly fast on that thing one handed if need be. It was a formative time in my life as well so that gives it major sentimental value. Great phone.

I have owned too many smartphones over the years. Thinking back on which ones stand out ?

- Blackberry Bold 9700 - was bulletproof, with amazing battery life
- EVO 4G - for it's time was amazing, with killer XDA development

Since then, all the phones after that, were better of course, but none of them blew me away like OMFG awesome, no, they just felt like nice upgrades, but not jaw dropping drool worthy; after the EVO 4G, I got the Nexus-S 4G...Galaxy S2...Galaxy Nexus...HTC One X...Note 2...Nexus 4.

The Note 2 does stand out for it's awesome battery life, and S-Pen, and large screen, but for me was just too large of a device for daily use, but is a great smartphone.

My 2 standouts are the Blackberry Tour and the Galaxy Nexus. I do a decent amount of texts so I think the Tour wins overall.

Still using my G2 now. I don't use enough features to need a newer phone, and the physical keyboard and the way it opens really set it apart. I'm still waiting for a replacement to be released, but I'm not holding my breath

Sentimental favorite? The Mytouch 4g. Wish I had the purple, but the red was awesome as well. The original HTC Desire was great too.

Original Droid Incredible, it was the first smartphone that actually felt quick to me and felt nice in my hand.(great size for the time)

I'm amazed 2 people have said Galaxy Nexus already. That phone is/was terrible.

OG Droid was my first android, I instantly fell in love and have never looked back

Also cant forget those original sidekicks :)

Also anyone remember the Sony P800/P900/P910 phones? Smart phones before smart phones, loved them

Nokia 3310. It was a tank, only needed charging every 4 days, and it made me eat major crow on my feelings towards texting. You could text incredibly fast on that thing one handed if need be. It was a formative time in my life as well so that gives it major sentimental value. Great phone.

Seconded.

Original Droid Incredible, it was the first smartphone that actually felt quick to me and felt nice in my hand.(great size for the time)

The gnex is an awesome device...

Back on topic, the HTC Incredible. That thing was so damned fast and the first run with the AMOLED display was amazing.

Oh Hi, Verizon user. Your GNex doesn't count. GSM version was one of the better phones out there, and still is.

Nextel i930. I messed around with that phone so much. Was incredibly thick... but man was it a trip to use windows on a Nextel flip phone. I think after that my favorite was the Treo 700w. Was a good Windows Phone with great battery life, and great design (imo). The keyboard was bright and easy to use too. Screen was perfect size (at the time).

If a phone was part of the formative time in your life.....:eek:

iPhone 3G. I was late to the cellphone party, so this was not only my first smartphone, but my first cellphone, period. It's just as well, the leap in user experience was huge versus BlackBerry, Symbian and Windows Mobile.

Back