cageymaru

Fully [H]
The HTC Vive and Vive Pro are cutting the cord for wireless freedom with the upcoming launch of the $299 HTC Vive Wireless Adapter. The Vive Pro needs an additional Vive Pro compatibility pack which costs $60 as it requires a different attachment device and foam padding. The device can be run for hours from a simple HTC QC 3.0 PowerBank smartphone battery pack. Pre-orders go live on September 5th and you can buy them from your local retailer on September 24th.

Installation of the Vive Wireless Adapter occurs in minutes by installing a PCI-e card and attaching a sensor from the PC that broadcasts to and from the newly wireless Vive headset. The adapter has a broadcast range of 6 meters with a 150 degree field of view from the sensor and runs in the interference-free 60Ghz band using Intel's WiGig specification, which, combined with DisplayLink's XR codec, means low latency and high performance with hours of battery life.

Sold! I just bought a Vive Pro, and have been waiting anxiously for the official announcement and release date! I don't usually pre-order unreleased hardware, but this is a no brainer for those that own a Vive or Pro. I am constantly having to be aware of the cable when in VR and it's incredibly annoying to have to keep that awareness in the back of your head! Can't wait to get my grubby hands on this!

Requires a PCI-e slot? Seriously?!? That sucks. I don't have an extra PCI-e slot to use in my mITX setup.

And the range is shorter than I was expecting too. I wanted to be able to use a Vive setup in my living room where I have a large enough space to use while keeping my computer in the office. From the PC to the center of the living room is around 30 feet away from each other.

Requires a PCI-e slot? Seriously?!? That sucks. I don't have an extra PCI-e slot to use in my mITX setup.

And the range is shorter than I was expecting too. I wanted to be able to use a Vive setup in my living room where I have a large enough space to use while keeping my computer in the office. From the PC to the center of the living room is around 30 feet away from each other.
I didn’t even think about mITX. Really happy I stayed MATX now.

I've been waiting all summer for this. I have a mITX board in a microATX case. I don't have a PCIe 4x slot, so I am going to use an M2 to PCIe 4x adapter. My M2 slot is on the back of the board, so I will be carving out a hole on the motherboard plate, and using a extension cable to wrap to the wigig card included in the kit to available backplate slot.

Fingers crossed for 300 dollar experiment! Wireless Beat Saber will be the new hotness.

I've been waiting all summer for this. I have a mITX board in a microATX case. I don't have a PCIe 4x slot, so I am going to use an M2 to PCIe 4x adapter. My M2 slot is on the back of the board, so I will be carving out a hole on the motherboard plate, and using a extension cable to wrap to the wigig card included in the kit to available backplate slot.

Fingers crossed for 300 dollar experiment! Wireless Beat Saber will be the new hotness.
I like your thought process on this. Unfortunately, for me, I am already using my M2 slot. So that won't work for me.

My mITX and its case is loaded to the gills: GTX 1080, Corsair H100i V2, AIO cooler, 32GB RAM, M2, 2 SSDs, and 2 HDDs all in a Corsair Obsidian. With exception to a dedicated sound card, it fits everything I ever used in my past setups with much larger cases, but in a much smaller package. I really don't want to go back to a larger case and board unless I really need to, it fits so nicely behind my 4K monitor on my corner desk.

Really no excuse for this. Isnt USB 3.1 attached to the PCIe bus?

I have had TPCast since launch. I wouldnt bother with a wireless adapter at this price. I ESPECIALLY wouldnt be cutting holes in things.

have a free

Do you have a free m.2 slot? They make m.2 to pcie adaptors.

I have had TPCast since launch. I wouldnt bother with a wireless adapter at this price. I ESPECIALLY wouldnt be cutting holes in things.

I can justify cutting the holes because my motherboard plate has no access to an underside M.2 slot (have to remove motherboard, cooling etc to get to it).

So outside of VR experiment I can tell myself that I am just cutting an access hole to swap out m.2 card/drive in the future. ;)

Really no excuse for this. Isnt USB 3.1 attached to the PCIe bus?
I agree. And I have two USB3.1 ports (one type A and one Type C) that could be used for this. Or what about the VirtualLink that is being added onto the latest video cards? That could be used too.

So... those using a laptop are out of luck?

I have my Vive Pro connected to my Alienware 13 R3 with the external graphics box. This.... sucks...

So... those using a laptop are out of luck?

I have my Vive Pro connected to my Alienware 13 R3 with the external graphics box. This.... sucks...
Do you have a NVME slot? Start drilling an access hole like the guy above :p

This is part of the reason Consoles will be a better fit for VR in the short term (( read, not better quality or legacy game support by a long stretch )). Their plug n play nature benefits VR more than anything else. Id be surprised if the PS5 doesn't come with 60ghz WiGig broadcast direct from the console or from a tethered dongle for longer reach, put headset on hit play. Then again im not sure what networking the Playstation is using TBH, is there even a competing non Intel standard to WiGig ?

So
$1200 video card
$1400 Vive Pro + Controllers
$359 for wireless headset adapter

$2959...nope no problem here for adoption

Only if you want it ultra high end, nice cherry picking.

Basic package
Vive regular system (including controllers) $700
GTX 1070 $500
total cost $1,200

Crawl back under your bridge.

Happy birthday to me? Still want some reviews of this thing if it induces motion sickness or reduces the play area in anyway.

... did I miss an implied /r ? Wireless beat saber? I love me some Beat Saber till my arms feel like they are going to fall off, but that's not the first or 10th game that comes to mind when I am wishing for wireless VIVE support. Am I the only one that doesn't do lots of 360 spins while playing Beat Saber?

... did I miss an implied /r ? Wireless beat saber? I love me some Beat Saber till my arms feel like they are going to fall off, but that's not the first or 10th game that comes to mind when I am wishing for wireless VIVE support. Am I the only one that doesn't do lots of 360 spins while playing Beat Saber?
I dance like Michael Jackson Dual Wielding Light Sabers!! HEEE HEEE! Shamone!

I love Michael, but I think that Prince was awesome also!

giphy.gif

I've only got one m.2 slot and its being used by a Samsung 950 Pro 512GB that I use as my OS drive.

Only other option would be an external PCIe enclosure then. Or a new PC... :) Admit it, you needed an excuse to build a new one anyway!

So
$1200 video card
$1400 Vive Pro + Controllers
$359 for wireless headset adapter

$2959...nope no problem here for adoption

$5000 for PC, $1400 for Vive Pro System, $360 for wireless adapter. This is what I paid myself in the past month, aside from the wireless which I will buy day one. Just because it's not for everyone doesn't mean that NO ONE is buying! (oh, and I get by just fine with a $500 Vega 64, Nvidia is for suckers!)

Why does the Pro need an additional $60 compatibility pack?

Because the Vive Pro uses an "all in one" connection based on DisplayPort, while the OG Vive uses HDMI and USB (plus power). Also the mounting points are different. But I am guessing most of the cost is in adapting the Pro's input to be compatible. It makes FAR more sense for HTC to sell the Pro adaptor separately, rather than charge EVERYONE a higher price, whether or not they need the adaptor. It would make even less sense to make the product for the Pro specifically and require the expensive adaptor for everyone who has the original Vive, as there are SIGNIFICANTLY more "regular" Vives out there than Pros...

Basic package
GTX 1070 $500
total cost $1,200

Plus it's not like most users are only into VR games and not conventional gaming. I'd hedge a bet most here have a perfectly adequate rig as it stands, so VR headset plus adapter is really all you need

Because the Vive Pro uses an "all in one" connection based on DisplayPort, while the OG Vive uses HDMI and USB (plus power). Also the mounting points are different. But I am guessing most of the cost is in adapting the Pro's input to be compatible. It makes FAR more sense for HTC to sell the Pro adaptor separately, rather than charge EVERYONE a higher price, whether or not they need the adaptor. It would make even less sense to make the product for the Pro specifically and require the expensive adaptor for everyone who has the original Vive, as there are SIGNIFICANTLY more "regular" Vives out there than Pros...

Short sighted if you ask me. Require a pci-e slot for base to go to hdmi and usb? Maybe should have considered usb base that could go to display port and add display port to hdmi adapter for those that don't use pro. But I kind of get it. USB is as reliable as a wet paper bag.

Basic package
GTX 1070 $500
total cost $1,200

I don't live under a bridge, it's a rock! Get it right. :p

That said, today's VR is still in it's infancy. And while I did pick a cherry system, that's like saying a model t ford is great in 1912.

The complexity of VR games is dramatically increasing requiring a lot more horsepower in the future. You have a choice of buying a top of the line system and updating it maybe in 3->5 years, or buying a middle of the road system, and discover that it's not adequate for the latest games in 1->2 years.

Sadly even middle of the road systems are expensive. No PC based VR system is considered common commodity status yet. (Where it's disposable and easily replaceable for a moderate to low cost)

Do you remember how Fury was setup for VR? Sure it could run the first couple of VR games, but it's no longer reasonable. So if you buy middle of the road components, be prepared to upgrade more often.

Also expect display resolution to dramatically increase over the next couple of years. That means you'll need more throughput on that video card for the same game.

I buy top tier, because in the long run, it's often cheaper. My upgrade cycles are like once every 5 years. I can still run most games near maxed out at 1080p with minimum avg 30fps

Last edited by a moderator:

I think "range" is the least of your problems. 60ghz doesn't penetrate walls for shit. Even if your office and living room were adjacent going through that one wall isn't happening.

I think "range" is the least of your problems. 60ghz doesn't penetrate walls for shit. Even if your office and living room were adjacent going through that one wall isn't happening.
You are absolutely right. Which is all the more reason why I am disappointed in the range they are advertising, it's very small for being a "direct line of sight" figure.

I wonder how many Vive Pro users run Radeon, I bet not the majority.

Well, you can look at the overall market share and extrapolate from there. I am VERY happy to report that the Vive Pro works WONDERFULLY with the Vega64! I will get a better card...next year, with either Vega 7nm or Navi. Will wait and see. I am completely unimpressed with Nvidia's new cards though.

Well, you can look at the overall market share and extrapolate from there. I am VERY happy to report that the Vive Pro works WONDERFULLY with the Vega64! I will get a better card...next year, with either Vega 7nm or Navi. Will wait and see. I am completely unimpressed with Nvidia's new cards though.

It's too early to judge nvidia's cards given there are no raw performance numbers for VR. But for the 50%+ price bump over a Ti, they better be f'n awesome.

That said, I wonder what your interpolated frame rate is on that Vega 64 given there are 50% more pixels on the Pro headset. 1080 Barely kept up. And AMD wasn't too good with VR optimization as the 480, and Fury showed.

Wasn't Kyle supposed to start a website dedicated to VR game reviews and hardware reviews? I haven't seen any coverage lately from him on it. I wonder if AMD cleaned up their VR driver stuff yet.

ok, i finally got around and setup my vive pro and man.. its awesome. But this adapter is totally needed as the cord from the headset was always getting in my way and around my feet

google earth VR (y)

*sigh* who needs money

hahaha

It's too early to judge nvidia's cards given there are no raw performance numbers for VR. But for the 50%+ price bump over a Ti, they better be f'n awesome.

That said, I wonder what your interpolated frame rate is on that Vega 64 given there are 50% more pixels on the Pro headset. 1080 Barely kept up. And AMD wasn't too good with VR optimization as the 480, and Fury showed.

Wasn't Kyle supposed to start a website dedicated to VR game reviews and hardware reviews? I haven't seen any coverage lately from him on it. I wonder if AMD cleaned up their VR driver stuff yet.

I can't speak to the other tests, but MY system runs just fine...I haven't measured frame rates, though, but everything is butter smooth. What tool would you recommend for me to measure my performance?

Last edited:
I can't speak to the other tests, but MY system runs just fine...

Same, my Vive Pro with 1080 Ti runs smooth as hell. I don't think I have had any slow down in any games so far but I also haven't played any game that was demanding enough. My most graphically demanding game is probably Raw Data.

Back