HTC Touch Pro 2

Had this phone for 2 weeks (13 days) and ended up returning it. Windows Mobile was the main cause. I used stock firmware for a day which was alright, then flashed a few ROMs from XDA-Dev, which excited me with their added features, but ultimately were not as stable as stock. I ended up being frustrated by WinMo crashing so often and being so slow, and found myself going back to my iPod Touch for most basic tasks. I also found the lack of good apps a problem (although now there's the WinMo marketplace). Fortunately, HTC did a great job of hiding WinMo with TouchFlo 3D, which is a very beautiful interface. Unfortunately, Windows Mobile is just an extremely slow and inconvenient OS; surely not one that should be installed on such a sexy touch phone or even any phone.

The build quality was pretty good; it was a beautiful device. The speakerphone was absolutely amazing, far clearer and louder then the speakers on my Dell XPS M1330, and the audio recorded in video mode sounded like it was from an expensive digital camcorder. The keyboard was also great, though the screen felt fragile while it was out.

The TP2 was my first smartphone and it left a decent impression. I had a very good idea of what the other offerings were at the time and what they were capable of, but I just felt a need to dive into Windows Mobile and gain my own perspective on all of the debate about it. Unfortunately, from experience, I'm now one of those WinMo haters. It really is a terrible mobile OS.

I got out of T-Mobile with no ETF and now am very happy with my iPhone 3GS on AT&T. The network is a bit congested but the device is leaps and bounds better than the TP2 will ever be so long as it runs Windows Mobile. Slap android on there and maybe I'd change my mind.

Had this phone for 2 weeks (13 days) and ended up returning it. Windows Mobile was the main cause. I used stock firmware for a day which was alright, then flashed a few ROMs from XDA-Dev, which excited me with their added features, but ultimately were not as stable as stock. I ended up being frustrated by WinMo crashing so often and being so slow, and found myself going back to my iPod Touch for most basic tasks. I also found the lack of good apps a problem (although now there's the WinMo marketplace). Fortunately, HTC did a great job of hiding WinMo with TouchFlo 3D, which is a very beautiful interface. Unfortunately, Windows Mobile is just an extremely slow and inconvenient OS; surely not one that should be installed on such a sexy touch phone or even any phone.

The build quality was pretty good; it was a beautiful device. The speakerphone was absolutely amazing, far clearer and louder then the speakers on my Dell XPS M1330, and the audio recorded in video mode sounded like it was from an expensive digital camcorder. The keyboard was also great, though the screen felt fragile while it was out.

The TP2 was my first smartphone and it left a decent impression. I had a very good idea of what the other offerings were at the time and what they were capable of, but I just felt a need to dive into Windows Mobile and gain my own perspective on all of the debate about it. Unfortunately, from experience, I'm now one of those WinMo haters. It really is a terrible mobile OS.

I got out of T-Mobile with no ETF and now am very happy with my iPhone 3GS on AT&T. The network is a bit congested but the device is leaps and bounds better than the TP2 will ever be so long as it runs Windows Mobile. Slap android on there and maybe I'd change my mind.

Sorry for your experience. But your's if the rare exception and not the rule. The user reviews of the the TP2 are OUTSTANDING overall. Just look at them on the web.

I <3 my Verizon TP2! Yes, with the stock 6.1 ROM and Sbp Mobile Shell!

The truth is some people just don't use their devices the same way. I could literally never use an iphone because I absolutely have to multitask among many other limitations the iphone has. Some poeple just don't care and that's fine. Some like having a mini-laptop and some just care about texting/basic stuff. That's just how it is.

I just bought mine. ~$480 for a new European version. Time to live without 3G though. :(

The truth is some people just don't use their devices the same way. I could literally never use an iphone because I absolutely have to multitask among many other limitations the iphone has. Some poeple just don't care and that's fine. Some like having a mini-laptop and some just care about texting/basic stuff. That's just how it is.

Excellent point. I was just saying that people seem to love their TP2's and I know you agree with that. When people say that don't like WinMo that's fine. Just understand that on the right device like a TP2 a lot of people LOVE WinMo. That's just a fact.

Sending my TP2 back. Winmo 6.1 looks like windows 3.1, the one that came in those big floppy disks. The hardware is absolutely beautiful with the awesome keyboard, large screen, extremely well built chasis. However, the OS is a PITA and unforgivable.

Sending my TP2 back. Winmo 6.1 looks like windows 3.1, the one that came in those big floppy disks. The hardware is absolutely beautiful with the awesome keyboard, large screen, extremely well built chasis. However, the OS is a PITA and unforgivable.

Why, what can't it do?

As if you ever would actually see WinMo with the TouchFlo3D interface on top of it.........

As if a "pretty phone" is any indication of it's actually usefullness. Wait did you mean this is your wife's phone? :p

For me, it wasn't a matter of what the phone was capable of. It was able to handle anything I threw at it. The problem is the phone's software is ungraceful and downright ugly, especially after using a couple of Android phones. There were a few confirmation buttons and little next arrows I had to pull out the stylus just to hit as they were too small to touch accurately. With a phone with this screen size, these kind of situations left a bad impression of the phone with me.

To me the UI behind the touchFLO was very peculiar, chaotic, ugly. I installed spb mobile shell and also PointUI, which was an admittedly neat add-on at first, but it's really just a band-aid to the real problem at hand which is the OS. It just didn't flo right.

That was my experience with the TP2.

To each his own I guess, I actually like having the stylus though most everything is still finger friendly. A finger will never be as precise though and I see having the stylus still as a benefit.

To each his own I guess, I actually like having the stylus though most everything is still finger friendly. A finger will never be as precise though and I see having the stylus still as a benefit.

It could be a benefit, but mostly it just got annoying to have to whip it out just to tap on a little arrow key. Win MO is a piece of shit. The hardware is great though. To each his own.... I guess.

It could be a benefit, but mostly it just got annoying to have to whip it out just to tap on a little arrow key. Win MO is a piece of shit. The hardware is great though. To each his own.... I guess.

Out of curiosity what arrow key? The onscreen arrow keys are actually pretty large.

Finally got it in. It really is a lot bigger than my original Touch Pro:

DSC00899s.jpg

Only problem so far is that the front facing video camera doesn't have the greatest quality, but I don't see myself really using it much so it's not really a disappointment.

Only problem so far is that the front facing video camera doesn't have the greatest quality, but I don't see myself really using it much so it's not really a disappointment.

dont forget to remove the plastic

dont forget to remove the plastic
I think it's the screen protector that came with it. I'll probably get around to it later considering after a year, my original Touch Pro is still in perfect condition.

I think it's the screen protector that came with it. I'll probably get around to it later considering after a year, my original Touch Pro is still in perfect condition.

I meant over the camera lens , I have had customers complain about camera quality only to discover they never removed the protective plastic film that was over the lens for packing purposes

I meant over the camera lens , I have had customers complain about camera quality only to discover they never removed the protective plastic film that was over the lens for packing purposes
There is covering the front facing camera. You can even see where there is a cutout in the screen protector for it. The camera is only VGA and has a tiny aperture, so was kinda obvious the quality was going to suck.

One of my biggest complaints about this phone is that it freezes and slows down all the time and it calls random numbers while I am on the phone. Also while searching the call history it is way to easy to call a number while searching. And my email randomly stops working, I never know when it is going to work. The only thing I can count on is the phone will piss me off and I will end up smashing it to pieces.

One of my biggest complaints about this phone is that it freezes and slows down all the time and it calls random numbers while I am on the phone.

I have had these since the first day T-mobile launched them and this has never happened to any of them. The only time they "random" dial is when they are in a pocket with the touchscreen unlocked.....just like every touchscreen phone we have ever owned.

Also while searching the call history it is way to easy to call a number while searching.

Well fat fingers and finger pressure can do that to any phone.

And my email randomly stops working, I never know when it is going to work.

Look to your email host and your access method here as that is your source 99% of the time. Gmail for instance is bad about this when running through POP, but with IMAP it does fine.

The only thing I can count on is the phone will piss me off and I will end up smashing it to pieces.

Then sell it to someone who knows how to use it.

One of my biggest complaints about this phone is that it freezes and slows down all the time and it calls random numbers while I am on the phone. Also while searching the call history it is way to easy to call a number while searching. And my email randomly stops working, I never know when it is going to work. The only thing I can count on is the phone will piss me off and I will end up smashing it to pieces.

Flash the rom to a 6.5.1 rom. It changes the phone completely and solved all of my irritations about it.

I'm running the official WM 6.5 ROM and have no issues with speed, freezing, or anything else that was just mentioned.

You need to learn the right amount of pressure. It's not the phone, it's you needing to adapt to the touch screen. I had a friend who had trouble too and it turned out he wasn't applying enough pressure and he was flicking too much. Make accurate touch, slide, release motions. You may be too used to a capacitive screen or something. These resist your touch so you need to be more firm.

Thanks for the constructive feedback. Another thing I dont like is the placement of the screen off button when holding the phone sideways typing on the keyboard.

Thanks for the constructive feedback. Another thing I dont like is the placement of the screen off button when holding the phone sideways typing on the keyboard.

As almost always with WinMo, there's a tweak that takes care of that. :D PPCGeeks is a bit hammered right now with the unlocker and everyone hitting the custom ROMs, but I'll try to find it for you.

After getting it all tweaked and set up, I'm enjoying MightyROM. Anyone else besides OldPueblo?

After getting it all tweaked and set up, I'm enjoying MightyROM. Anyone else besides OldPueblo?

Did you install Lilrico's midnight blue theme? Man he does nice theme work, can't wait for the other colors.

mnb20screen.png

iphone baby... iphone. HAHA.. I waited forever for this phone!! I still have my HTC TILT (first gen if you wanna call it that)... I wish I waited longer. I used my upgrade on the iphone, which IMHO.... the greatest phone EVERRRR...

Thanks

iphone baby... iphone. HAHA.. I waited forever for this phone!! I still have my HTC TILT (first gen if you wanna call it that)... I wish I waited longer. I used my upgrade on the iphone, which IMHO.... the greatest phone EVERRRR...

Thanks

LOL nice troll attempt

When is Verizon planning on having this phone in stock? This is ridiculous. Others have plenty of them.

They have been back in stock several times, they just sell out again almost immediately. You need to watch PPCGeeks TP2 section or something, people usually post when they are back in stock. Sometimes they only come in on certain zip codes and they post those.

Back