HTC One (M9)

CHANG3D

Supreme [H]ardness
Time to actually get excited again on smartphones. A huge hardware evolution is coming. Obviously Samsung, LG, and others will have this too, but this is the first leaked specs.

The HTC One (M9), code named HIMA, is scheduled for March 2015 release.

Rumored Specs:
S810 2.0GHz*4 + 1.5GHz*4
3GB RAM
5" FHD
VoLTE/CA/LTE Cat.6
20.7MP back camera
13MP or 4MP UltraPixel front camera
2840mAh
Android 5.0/Sense 7.0

Source:
http://www.pocketables.com/2014/12/...one-m9-codenamed-hima-get-leaked-twitter.html

My take:
3GB of RAM, yeah!
5" 1080p, sure will save battery.

After trying the Droid Turbo, Note 4, considering the Nexus 6 and almost buying the M8, I decided to hang on for this M9. I just hope it stays at 5" for the screen size.

Curious what they will choose for the back camera and how it will perform.

Snapdragon 810! I wish they held back the Nexus6 a few months for the 810, then it would have been a much better device. :rolleyes:

whats the rumored pricing? both legs? first born? killer phone specs agreed, but this is getting crazy with cost(s).

How about these leaks???

http://www.androidauthority.com/htc-one-m9-specs-leak-571313/

http://www.phonearena.com/news/HTC-...e-release-date-and-all-we-know-so-far_id63446

Compared to the OP's leak, these leaks show a different processor, a difference screen size, a different resolution, a different camera and a different battery size.

MY TAKE:
Leaks are a load of shit. I'm tired of them. At this point take them all with a grain of salt. Its just wild speculation. Where's Zorachus when you need him? He's the king of wild speculation. About the only thing we know (and even this is a guess) is that HTC will probably release a phone in 2015 possibly called the M9. Yeah, hooray!!! :rolleyes: Let's usher in the evolution!!!

About the only thing we know (and even this is a guess) is that HTC will probably release a phone in 2015 possibly called the M9. Yeah, hooray!!! :rolleyes: Let's usher in the evolution!!!

Way to pull out that crystal ball!

tumblr_ne9ipuDj2l1tr25b5o1_500.gif

Way to pull out that crystal ball!

tumblr_ne9ipuDj2l1tr25b5o1_500.gif

Apparently you left your sarcasm detector at home. And fyi, while I love the Big reference, Zoltar granted wishes, he didn't predict the future. Soooooo yeah that wouldn't really apply here. Just saying...

Time to actually get excited again on smartphones. A huge hardware evolution is coming. Obviously Samsung, LG, and others will have this too, but this is the first leaked specs.

The HTC One (M9), code named HIMA, is scheduled for March 2015 release.

Rumored Specs:
S810 2.0GHz*4 + 1.5GHz*4
3GB RAM
5" FHD
VoLTE/CA/LTE Cat.6
20.7MP back camera
13MP or 4MP UltraPixel front camera
2840mAh
Android 5.0/Sense 7.0

Source:
http://www.pocketables.com/2014/12/...one-m9-codenamed-hima-get-leaked-twitter.html

My take:
3GB of RAM, yeah!
5" 1080p, sure will save battery.

Supposedly it won't be the M9 but the "Hima" for those specs - http://www.phonearena.com/news/HTC-...-flagship-should-be-launched-in-March_id63506

The M9 is speculated to have a 5.5" 1440p screen. Not sure how that will turn out but that'd be a nice bump.

A whole lot of rumors flying around that make me not sure of what HTC is really planning.

I really don't like the 1440p trend on phone, but I guess that HTC will follow other vendors to keep up the race for the biggest Android-peen.

Apparently you left your sarcasm detector at home. And fyi, while I love the Big reference, Zoltar granted wishes, he didn't predict the future. Soooooo yeah that wouldn't really apply here. Just saying...

Nah, I got it. Looks like I need to watch Big again! I get top!

That 20.7 MP back camera must be from Sony right? So far the only phones with 20.7 MP camera sensors are the Z lines. I like what HTC is doing with the One Mx's but I dont trust them after my EVO 4G, and Thunderbolt.

That 20.7 MP back camera must be from Sony right? So far the only phones with 20.7 MP camera sensors are the Z lines. I like what HTC is doing with the One Mx's but I dont trust them after my EVO 4G, and Thunderbolt.
man, if your early android experience was with Samsung, I suppose you wouldn't trust Samsung either. Of that generation, all Android phones sucked, and every first gen WiMAX and LTE phones sucked hard especially in the battery life. So your distrust in HTC is misplaced.

Yea I don't really trust HTC either, but the One phones seem to be doing pretty well.

man, if your early android experience was with Samsung, I suppose you wouldn't trust Samsung either. Of that generation, all Android phones sucked, and every first gen WiMAX and LTE phones sucked hard especially in the battery life. So your distrust in HTC is misplaced.

I had all the Galaxy S phones through 4, all the Notes, motorola Droid X, Droid 2, Droid 2 global, Nexus 4/5, and then I had the Touch Pro, Touch Pro 2, HD7, G1, Nexus One, Evo 4G, and lastly the Thunderbolt.

With all the HTC phones I had only 2 in retrospect where any good, the others I just tolerated because on paper they were good. No other manufacturer of phones had more defective phones for me than HTC. My distrust in HTC is hardly misplaced, though like I said I do give them credit for their recent upgrade in quality with the One Mx's. But I am still far away from giving them a chance, I am generally pretty forgiving with tech and I will try out all the OEMs eventually but HTC they just dont have that chance anymore.

HTC isn't terrible but definitely not a top three vendor pick. HTC is like Acer PC in the phone world.

man, aren't you banned? What a troll.

I dont get why you think his comment was a troll? I would tend to agree, Apple, Samsung, and LG are the top 3 for many people at this stage, probably Motorola if not LG. HTC tried to do too many different things every year and failed at most of them, never really hitting the spark they had with the early stages of Android and late Windows Mobile. The HTC One Mx's are probably their only redeeming product the last 2 years.

If we're going use troll logic, Samsung is the HP of the PC world. Or Samsung is the Comcast of the telecommunications industry... If this makes sense to you, okay, I'll agree with you. How about we stop the stupid analogies.

Last edited:
By your logic if you love HTC and hate Samsung then you're not a troll. But if someone else use both and doesn't think highly of HTC (Touch Pro and Thunderbolt yuck) then he's a troll. :p

Using PC analogy is actually fitting since the mobile market is becoming a basic commodity. Many mobile companies just use off-the-shelf components with the exception of a few such that drive innovation, design and/or manufacture their own technology/components (not connectors) such as Samsung, LG, Sony, etc. Considering HP was founded as an engineering company I don't think it's stupid to say Samsung is like HP or better yet Intel since Samsung not only supplies components to the industry but also sell their own branded solutions so you're agreeing.

Did you forget that you bothered the busy man and got us both banned? :rolleyes:

If we're going use troll logic, Samsung is the HP of the PC world. Or Samsung is the Comcast of the telecommunications industry... If this makes sense to you, okay, I'll agree with you. How about we stop the stupid analogies.

Samsung isnt like HP, but you are right they are like Comcast. Buy your way in, steal, copy, bribe, absolutely shit on their employees, dont support their product, price fixing, then if they cant win actually thats when they try to compete. Doesnt that sound familiar? If you know anything at all about Samsung you would know they are not an angel, uh just like Comcast.

But I do like how when anyone disagrees with you, they are a troll.

As an M8 owner, everything out now (available on Verizon at least) is pretty underwhelming to me. It seems QHD negates the large battery on the Turbo and N6 and is not worth the barely perceivable PPI bump from 1080p on most phones. The Note 4 has better battery life, but no root (from what I see with a quick search anyways), TW lag, and losing my front facing speakers is not worth the incremental upgrade in specs from my M8. I would probably buy the Z3 if it was available on Verizion, but it's not and the Z3v is Z2 hardware with the older camera, display and worse (though still decent) battery life.

If the M9 comes with a 1080p, an 810 (or even 805), and a 2800+ mAh battery, it will kill everything else in performance and still have great battery life. It would be an excellent decision on HTCs part, though risky because I'm sure they don't want to look worse on paper/on display next to other QHD flagships. But I think it would be the right decision if the display is better in every other aspect (brightness, contrast, power efficiency, etc.). I don't care about camera really since it's my least priority in a smart phone and any phone on the market would suffice for me in that area. My M8s camera is more than adequate despite all the flack it gets, IMO, but I know they need to improve that significantly to stay competitive.

So if the specs in OP hold true, the M9 will most definitely be my next phone.

If Samsung's mobile business can be compared to any major PC vendor, it's Acer. Once at the top of its game, but sinking after fundamentally misjudging the future of the market. HP is still doing relatively well in PCs; Samsung's mobile group is in enough trouble that it nearly axed the division's leader due to rapidly falling sales.

HTC is hard to peg, because it was high up in the ranks but hasn't been there in a long while. In terms of relative success, it's faring better than Acer has in PC land (HTC has managed some success lately, it's just intermittent). There's just no sense that it will come roaring back into the top five.

If you want analogies for successful vendors, I'd say Xiaomi and Lenovo are comparable. Both are Chinese vendors taking advantage of low prices and surging local demand to rise above foreign brands. The big difference is that Lenovo as a PC vendor isn't limited to a handful of markets; Xiaomi will be limited to countries with poor patent enforcement so long as it bases a lot of its strategy on copying Apple.

Acer has never been top of the game but more like lower to maybe mid tier.

What's happening in the mobile market now is just a repeat of what's been happening in the PC market with Chinese vendors cannibalizing the whole market and affecting the higher tier brands Sony, Toshiba, etc.

Samsung still has the highest mobile marketshare and clear differentiation with unique features such as AMOLED, precision pen, OS enhancements like split screen multitasking and tier 1 components in display, low power DRAM, flash memory, etc. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out if they can maintain the differentiation to attract luxury buyers or if they succumb to lower cost commodity components like Apple's switch from PowerPC to x86-64 for PC.

High attrition rate isn't necessarily bad. Take the highly competitive SpecOps with very high attrition rate but they're the crème de la crème.

HTC tried to do too many different things every year and failed at most of them, never really hitting the spark they had with the early stages of

Are you talking about Samsung here? How many iterations of the Galaxy Sx do we have every year, many of which are total failures?

Acer has typically been in the top five, according to IDC and Gartner; it's just a question of where it is in the top five (it has been as high as number two) and where it's headed (typically down, since 2010).

Samsung has the most market share, but it's also losing share -- rapidly. IDC estimates that it fell from 32.5 percent in the third quarter of 2013 to 23.8 percent this summer. Xiaomi, Lenovo and LG all gained share at the same time. It sold 40% fewer Galaxy S5s than it expected during the phone's launch quarter, and half as many S5s in China during the phone's first six months than the S4 managed a year earlier. It's not going to be the leader for much longer if it doesn't reverse that slide very, very quickly.

To get this back on track, because it really needs to get back on track: I'm hopeful for the One M9. I'm skeptical of the current rumors, but it's fairly clear that HTC knows that some of its decisions (particularly that 4-megapixel camera) haven't panned out given the rash of One and Desire models with higher-res sensors. I don't know that HTC will switch to a Sony sensor and call it a day, but it needs to do something. More efficient use of space would help, too.

Samsung has the most market share, but it's also losing share -- rapidly. IDC estimates that it fell from 32.5 percent in the third quarter of 2013 to 23.8 percent this summer. Xiaomi, Lenovo and LG all gained share at the same time. It sold 40% fewer Galaxy S5s than it expected during the phone's launch quarter, and half as many S5s in China during the phone's first six months than the S4 managed a year earlier. It's not going to be the leader for much longer if it doesn't reverse that slide very, very quickly.

Good. That means more options and better competitive pricing because I don't give a fart about company profit and prefer best bang for the fewest of my bucks. I just hope it doesn't degrade to the point where they use cheap LCD with inherent backlight bleed, yellowing, uniformity issues, bad pixel, etc. and deficient 1GB DRAM but considering they make the stuff they should have a cost advantage since it eliminates the middle man.

Are you talking about Samsung here? How many iterations of the Galaxy Sx do we have every year, many of which are total failures?

No I mean HTC. How long did it take them to have a unified design language? How long did it take them to stop making so many different versions of the same phone for carriers? Samsung has a few dozen Galaxy S but they are all very similar, and follow a design language nothing is radically different. They also didnt make a bazillion versions of a phone for different carriers. Whats also funny is that some of the failures are still selling better than some of HTC's best.

I hope you finally realized why I said these analogies are stupid as hell when you can make the case for both Samsung and HTC to be the equivalent of Acer in the PC world. Heck, HTC could even be the Samsung of the PC world. These stupid analogies has got to stop. They just don't make a lot of sense. And all that it had done is distract us from the topic. I am glad that we didn't get any car analogies here (yet).

Last edited:
No one has used a car analogy for HTC because there probably isn't a car manufacturer so bad where the body panels don't line up or head lights leak on driver. :D

qpDkv7g.png

attachment.php

No one has used a car analogy for HTC because there probably isn't a car manufacturer so bad where the body panels don't line up or head lights leak on driver. :D

*snip

I dont think you realize that all OEMs have some problems with Q&A. When the note 4 came out people were complaining about panel gap as well. Apparently Samsung even put it in the user manual to expect it. No OEM is bullet proof from defects, though some are more prone than others.

I dont think you realize that all OEMs have some problems with Q&A. When the note 4 came out people were complaining about panel gap as well. Apparently Samsung even put it in the user manual to expect it. No OEM is bullet proof from defects, though some are more prone than others.

Isn't the gap in the Note 4 intentional to allow for different thermal expansion of glass and surrounding aluminum otherwise you have damage like the Nvidia Shield Tablet?

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/766370/shield-tablet/cracked-edges/

http://youtu.be/OirCgO7Ua_E

The HTC headlight leak issue is actually a design issue since they're coming from the capacitive button lights and affected every Thunderbolt. What isn't shown is the light leakage below the capacitive menu bar on mine which would be classified as a QA issue. Kind of regret turning on the Thunderbolt to remember this issue since Sense 3.6, Ice Cream Sandwich and especially the LCD showing white as piss yellow/brown are fugly. Original Galaxy S from year prior (2010) is so much better with no QA issue in comparison.

Last edited:
Isn't the gap in the Note 4 intentional to allow for different thermal expansion of glass and surrounding aluminum otherwise you have damage like the Nvidia Shield Tablet?

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/766370/shield-tablet/cracked-edges/

http://youtu.be/OirCgO7Ua_E

The HTC headlight leak issue is actually a design issue since they're coming from the capacitive button lights and affected every Thunderbolt. What isn't shown is the light leakage below the capacitive menu bar on mine which would be classified as a QA issue. Kind of regret turning on the Thunderbolt to remember this issue since Sense 3.6, Ice Cream Sandwich and especially the LCD showing white as piss yellow/brown are fugly. Original Galaxy S from year prior (2010) is so much better with no QA issue in comparison.

Probably but there are many others that dont have this design issue. Sony, Apple etc. to name a few who have unibody all aluminum chassis and glass.

By your logic if you love HTC and hate Samsung then you're not a troll. But if someone else use both and doesn't think highly of HTC (Touch Pro and Thunderbolt yuck) then he's a troll. :p

Using PC analogy is actually fitting since the mobile market is becoming a basic commodity. Many mobile companies just use off-the-shelf components with the exception of a few such that drive innovation, design and/or manufacture their own technology/components (not connectors) such as Samsung, LG, Sony, etc. Considering HP was founded as an engineering company I don't think it's stupid to say Samsung is like HP or better yet Intel since Samsung not only supplies components to the industry but also sell their own branded solutions so you're agreeing.

Did you forget that you bothered the busy man and got us both banned? :rolleyes:

I would say that basing an assessment on a company based upon a 6.5 yr old phone and a 3.5 yr old phone is pretty trollish. Considering that the M7 and M8 were both widely regarded as among the best phones available amongst their peers in both design and performance.

Call it what you want but consumers do commonly base purchasing decision on previous experiences. Some even end the relationship after the first bad experience. Considering I have to pay full price to keep Verizon UDP and have to live with it for two or more years it better not have any glaring and repeated defects model after model especially for a commodity phone with no stand out features.

Back