HTC One M8 or Samsung GS5?

GS5, I got mine and am loving it. Very nice upgrade from my GS3.

Still love the hardware and WP8 on the Lumia Icon, but for what apps they have the quality of them stinks. I was sad to have to stay with Android, but the GS5 makes it much much more pleasant.

I'm not convinced with the HTC ultrapixel crap. I find it comparable to that stupid probiotic yogurt with the %100 fake "made up out of thin air for marketing" bacteria cultures they supposedly add. The HTC camera seems to be nice in the right circumstances, but from what I've used of the camera so far in the GS5 and even the 100s ive taken with the GS3 it's just good all the time.

Touchwiz doesn't really bother me, I'm sure if I used stock or one of the other manufacturers I might see why everyone knocks Twiz, but it works good for me.

As said above... people on here and most other forums go on and on about how bad TouchWiz is... and I am really not struck on it myself. Kinda gaudy.

HOWEVER, IRL? People use it and don't seem to mind it at all. I have at least a dozen friends that own Samsung phones(and tablets), and NONE have ever complained about the interface. They may say that it's "slow" or doesn't work well(especially those running the junky Ace devices) but not once have I heard a complaint on usability. Go figure.

As said above... people on here and most other forums go on and on about how bad TouchWiz is... and I am really not struck on it myself. Kinda gaudy.

HOWEVER, IRL? People use it and don't seem to mind it at all. I have at least a dozen friends that own Samsung phones(and tablets), and NONE have ever complained about the interface. They may say that it's "slow" or doesn't work well(especially those running the junky Ace devices) but not once have I heard a complaint on usability. Go figure.
The odds are they're used to TouchWiz devices or have no other point of reference for Android devices. Us enthusiasts have played around with lots of different launcher experiences to know what works and what doesn't. TouchWiz has always frustrated me. TouchWiz started out as a blatant rip-off of iOS, but with a notification and app drawer. Then in fear of lawsuits, Samsung added added gimmicks here and there. Even today, I can guarantee that TouchWiz wouldn't have gotten "flat" if Apple hadn't already done so. Sure, Apple probably took the flat design from Microsoft, but the point is Samsung follows Apple. MIUI is also a launcher that started out as a blatant rip off, but it actually transformed itself to something unique and very easy to use. TouchWiz is just not easy or intuitive as anything else and evidently still lags with this hardware! I don't know what kind of developers Samsung has hired. Maybe the money they used to hire forum shills and trolls ought to go to development of TouchWiz.

Last edited:
Hard to take someone seriously when he's so loud but yet doesn't know any better and is on Sprint along with being in denial about people owning Samsung, Nexus, HTC and Apple. While the blind hate for TouchWiz and false claims isn't necessarily a case of sheep in wolf's clothing but rather the budget Sprint service and $99 Nexus 5 on contract clue us in to the real motive of 'if can't afford then going to hate it' syndrome. Bet there is love for Sprint but hate for Verizon equally. ;)

Last edited:
So the developer edition of the GS5 just has an unlocked bootloader? Is that the only extra it gives you?

Hard to take someone seriously when he's so loud but yet doesn't know any better and is on Sprint along with being in denial about people owning Samsung, Nexus, HTC and Apple. While the blind hate for TouchWiz and false claims isn't necessarily a case of sheep in wolf's clothing but rather the budget Sprint service and $99 Nexus 5 on contract clue us in to the real motive of 'if can't afford then going to hate it' syndrome. Bet there is love for Sprint but hate for Verizon equally. ;)

Your ad hominem attacks belie your lack of substance, dude.

Have you tried each and every phone you extol/slam? I bet not. Discuss the merit of the argument and not the person making it, or quit wasting our time.

Along those lines, I have an HTC Evo 4G LTE currently on Sprint, and service has been fine in DC. I pay $50 a month for unlimited talk, text, and data...and I love it. I should have a Samsung GS5 waiting for me at home tonight, though, so we'll see how it compares. I like HTC, but the One M8 would end up encased, and without that advantage Samsung looked better in my case.

The One M8 and S5 are so close in performance, it really is a toss up what you prefer more ?

M8 pros;
- Slightly better battery life on the M8 than the S5
- Sense 6 is snappier and faster than S5 Touchwiz, tons of videos showing the M8 opens apps quicker than the S5, and is less bloated, and doesn't take up as much RAM. The M8 has like no lag whatsoever, where the S5 has a little tiny bit lag once in a while.
- M8 is rootable, S-Offed, and custom ROM'able
- Design on the M8 is amazing, and like artwork, just breathtaking
- M8 speakers are the real deal, very loud, but even better crystal clear sounding, great for YouTube videos, and speaker conversations.

S5 pros;
- Waterproof
- Better screen
- Removable battery
- Better camera ( if you even care about a nice camera on cellphone )

Personally I prefer the M8 over the S5, due to the M8 having better battery life #1, and a faster and smoother OS with almost zero lag. And I like how developer friendly HTC have been now.

Last edited:
was looking at the gs5 but ended up ordering m8 myself, i do allot of fishing and hunting, thought the waterproof part would be nice but seems most tests the back fell off the damn gs5 in drops anyways...

gs5 looks like the s4, which looks like the s3... yawn

M8 looks like my Thunderbolt. Yawn...

As a matter of fact, all my phones from different manufacturers look identical. Yawn...

Time to move on to wearables.

I have gone with the HTC One M8. And am loving this phone. LEAPS and bounds better than my GS3. And the fact that WITHOUT warranty HTC will replace the HTC one m8 if you shatter the screen in the first six months. (well will repair the screen.) is a big win for me. Plus it comes with 32 gig of storage for the same price as the samsung GS5 16gb edition.

Wearables still need a phone to pair with ;)

But it's likely to stay in your pocket so aesthetics, brushed metal, screen on time, blah blah are kind of moot. Even Moto G will probably be more than fine with paired wearable until they become stand-alone. :eek:

A smartphone camera should be at least 8MP.

4MP is just way too low... I've tested the camera on the HTC One M8 and the photos it took looked good when not zoomed in, but even with the slightest zoom in, the photo quality got very poor.

A smartphone camera should be at least 8MP.

4MP is just way too low... I've tested the camera on the HTC One M8 and the photos it took looked good when not zoomed in, but even with the slightest zoom in, the photo quality got very poor.

While I sort of agree, the camera seems more interesting on the M8 than the S5 in terms of editing and over all use. But considering my SLR is only 10mp, just under 1/2 that would still be acceptable for a cellphone picture IMO. I have never printed large cellphone pictures anyways. The 4mp rear camera is still much better than the 5mp front camera. And, IMO since the cell will be used as my do-all go-everywhere typical camera, the ability to capture pictures in dim lighting is as important as a higher megapixel count. If they had gone with a 8mp variant I think it would have been a slam dunk!

While I sort of agree, the camera seems more interesting on the M8 than the S5 in terms of editing and over all use. But considering my SLR is only 10mp, just under 1/2 that would still be acceptable for a cellphone picture IMO. I have never printed large cellphone pictures anyways. The 4mp rear camera is still much better than the 5mp front camera. And, IMO since the cell will be used as my do-all go-everywhere typical camera, the ability to capture pictures in dim lighting is as important as a higher megapixel count. If they had gone with a 8mp variant I think it would have been a slam dunk!

The front facing camera does have more MP, yet it performs more poorly than the rear facing camera. This proves that MP mean little, the sensor is what matters since it basically processes the raw light coming in through the optics... and the S5's new ISOCELL sensor is more advanced in terms of features and overall than the M8's, so the S5's rear camera is better than the M8's in terms of MP and the sensor. Yet, the M8 has its own benefits like dual cameras to re-focus after the picture is taken, and amber flash for better low light photos.

I think both are nice but I would rather have the GS5. I don't get the mentality of people who act like it is a war and they must pick a side.

If we're going to talk about the camera, the One camera takes good shots in daylight, but it's clear to be superior at night shots. That's the key. I work during the day, go out at night, and I don't do much weekend daytime activities that I would be taking pictures for. It's my lifestyle.

I had recommended one of my friends a GS5 because it's a better fit for her lifestyle. Her kids are like 2 and 3 and wants to take lots of pictures... That's far more day activities than night. However, she'd rather get a smaller phone and, in America, her choice is Moto X or iPhone. Guess which one she picked? (BTW, she's coming from a BlackBerry and a PowerShot)

IMO almost nobody I know takes night time photos.

Clubs/indoor social events don't count as night time in terms of cameras. The lighting is like day time.

If you have only been to bars and clubs with proper lighting, you're not doing it right...

Well I would say that if you care about the camera yuo are primarily taking shots in day light.
Other cameras may be better at night shots, but by how much?
I would say that it is a dubious recommendation to select a phone based on night shot performance alone. I would have picked the M8 if the camera was at least equal to the S5.

I would say that anyone serious about their photos are not using a phone as their camera

I would say that anyone serious about their photos are not using a phone as their camera

I would say that anyone with kids knows that a DSLR is not practical to carry arround!

When I am serious about taking pics I whip out the DSLR, but if I can get amazing point and shoot pics of my brats rubbing ice cream on their face I'll take it!

That being said, the M8 does have a very good camera and you really can't lose if you choose the M8. For me, one of the top reasons to go for the S5 is that price and selection of accessories and the "galaxy" ecosystem.

Yep, most of the time thats not what I use the camera on a phone for. Typically I'll use it for hey check out these new shocks I installed on my ATV, picture, or looks at all this ammo I loaded up, or here's where the circuit board got fried. Or hey look where this douche hit my car. Nothing that I need a spectacular camera for anyways but it is still useful.

Someone hit me and took off by Glamisduner, on Flickr

And I do not care about the shot.

If we're going to talk about the camera, the One camera takes good shots in daylight, but it's clear to be superior at night shots. That's the key. I work during the day, go out at night, and I don't do much weekend daytime activities that I would be taking pictures for. It's my lifestyle.

I wouldn't say it's necessarily "superior" at night shots. This video review actually comes to the conclusion that the S5 takes superior night shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btvW2UjDmzI

The reviewer is not a shill for either side and states that each camera has its strenghs in different circumstances. I was just surprised by the low-light shots considering that's the one area that the HTC should excell in.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say it's necessarily "superior" at night shots. This video review actually comes to the conclusion that the S5 takes superior night shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btvW2UjDmzI

The reviewer is not a shill for either side and states that each camera has its strenghs in different circumstances. I was just surprised by the low-light shots considering that's the one area that the HTC should excell in.

Not sure if that's the *best* test of low-light shooting. That said, I've seen at least a couple of reviews that suggest that Samsung has at least done a much better job of low-light photography than it did in the past. It used to be that Samsung cameras would fall apart in anything less than good lighting (that includes the S4 and Note 3). The GS5 still isn't spectacular, but it's at least in the ballpark of others that do a good job (Apple, HTC, LG, Nokia).

Oh yeah, this was also a big deciding factor, the f***ing phone can be left underwater up to 3 feet (probably more too) for 1+ hour(s) and survive a full 50 minute wash, and after both still be in absolute perfect shape. Watch below for proof.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9J611BuXhw&t=700

Although it's not marketed by HTC, it too seems to have water resistant qualities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhwvXTVQoPM

After a lot of research, I ordered the M8. Most GS5 buyers comment on its superior camera. I won't argue the point, and in the past I put a lot of emphasis on camera quality when choosing a new phone. Problem is I never take any pictures. So for me it's a non factor.

After using both devices for about an hour, the M8 was the obvious choice. What appealed to be was build quality, speed, responsiveness, comfort & build quality. I didn't get the same vibe from the GS5. I've thoroughly enjoyed my GN2, so no Samsung hate here.

I gotta say, between these two I'm leaning toward the M8, just wish it had a larger screen actually. I'm up for new phone in June, so I got a little time to wait and see how this all pans out. The sound quality is a huge deal to me, and I also really like the look of the metal shell, and as a semi-pro photog I really don't care about the quality of the photos my phone takes at all. I use my DSLR for any shots I care about. My phone camera is used strictly for documentation on very rare occasions. Until they start making phones that can mount full-size nikon lenses, the quality of the camera on my phone won't be influencing my buying decision in the slightest. :p

But I really think I'll be waiting for the Note 4 or the larger One Max 2 (?), or whatever the next larger HTC will be, 'cause what I really want in my next phone is a larger ~6" screen. Does anyone have any info on when the next HTC phablet is coming along to go with the M8?

Not sure if that's the *best* test of low-light shooting. That said, I've seen at least a couple of reviews that suggest that Samsung has at least done a much better job of low-light photography than it did in the past. It used to be that Samsung cameras would fall apart in anything less than good lighting (that includes the S4 and Note 3). The GS5 still isn't spectacular, but it's at least in the ballpark of others that do a good job (Apple, HTC, LG, Nokia).

My note 3 is fairly good at low light shots, I hope Samsung updates it with the same post processing they use on the S5.

I still don't think any one touches Nokia in low light.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s5_vs_htc_one_m8-review-1067p10.php

Here's a review which actually presents evidence of the photo and video qualities of the Galaxy S5 and the HTC One M8.

The Galaxy S5 camera is clearly the superior camera in both video quality and photo quality (including low light photo quality).

The Galaxy S5 camera uses the new Samsung ISOCELL 16MP sensor whereas the HTC One M8 still uses the HTC One M7's outdated sensor. The only difference between the HTC One M7 and the HTC One M8 is that the M8 uses an extra amber flash which is supposed to improve color tone of photos like the Apple iPhone 5S does. But still this wasn't enough to significantly improve photo quality.

So all this arguing can stop.

Last edited:
Having own both phones I can say that the S5 wins in the hardware category. It has a better camera (4k video!), has water resistance, weighs lighter, slightly larger battery capacity and a lovely OLED screen. But I hate touchwiz with such a passion that I I had to give the HTC M8 a try.

Overall, the M8 is snappier since it doesn't have the bloat and I have the option of flashing roms (BL Unlocked, CWM, S-Off and SIM unlock on the first day I received it). The phone feels great in my hands, like an iphone, but it is heavy compare to the S5. I like the fact it comes standard with 32GB and the addition of microSD card greatly expands the storage capacity. I would not have consider the M8 if it did not have a slot for a microSD card. The camera quality is noticeable downgrade coming from the S5 but it focuses quicker. In my opinion the biggest trade off would be the screen. Samsung has their screen technology down. Another thing I like to add is the speakers on the M8 are far superior than the janky one on the S5. I love hearing my ringtones loud and clear on the M8.

I am going to keep the M8 and gave the S5 to my father. I think I could have avoided all this unnecessary phone testing if I just went and bought an unlocked S5 to be used on my ATT service which could have saved me in my monthly payments too since I am on the group shared plan (fyi, $15/mo. for non-contract phones and $40/mo. for the lather). Maybe the next iteration of Nexus phone will have a microSD so I can even consider it. That's my two-¢.

Having own both phones I can say that the S5 wins in the hardware category.....

I have the S5 and I completely agree with the speaker. Way too quiet like the S4 was. You can flash ROMs on it too .. but you void your warranty (it'll say warranty voided on the Bootloader screen). Otherwise, it's a nice phone. Not a revolutionary upgrade. Camera is better than my S4. Fingerprint scanner is a pain in the ass so I gave up on it. Heartbeat sensor works good.

Back