HTC One M8 or Samsung GS5?

for only 4mp the camera on my m8 looks fantastic, i take alot of pics fishing and hunting with poor light at times so good photos in those conditions are more important to me than perfect outdoor lighting images

Former S4 owner, was pretty happy with the size and shape of the S4.

I would seriously consider the S5 over the M8, but NOT if your on ATT...frigging locked bootloader, and not even Root available for the ATT S5 yet, and development is looking grim on the ATT S5 :(

I at least need basic Root on any Android phone I pick up, just for deleting bloatware, and having access and control of the files, and installing certain apps like AdAway, Greenify, etc...

So I picked up a Gunmetal Grey M8 a few days ago, rooted it, and installed a custom ROM right out of the box. It's heavier than I prefer, and no bottom home button to press is awkward adjustment, but this phone is screaming fast compared to my S4, and and battery life these last few days seems to be a major improvement over my S4. Overall I like this M8. But I did see a coworker with a new S5 yesterday, and I was a bit jealous for some reason, that screen did look beautiful, and is a lightweight phone.

I have like 10 more days to return it and get an S5, but only if Root is achieved on the ATT S5 will I make the exchange.

Former S4 owner, was pretty happy with the size and shape of the S4.

I would seriously consider the S5 over the M8, but NOT if your on ATT...frigging locked bootloader, and not even Root available for the ATT S5 yet, and development is looking grim on the ATT S5 :(

I at least need basic Root on any Android phone I pick up, just for deleting bloatware, and having access and control of the files, and installing certain apps like AdAway, Greenify, etc...

So I picked up a Gunmetal Grey M8 a few days ago, rooted it, and installed a custom ROM right out of the box. It's heavier than I prefer, and no bottom home button to press is awkward adjustment, but this phone is screaming fast compared to my S4, and and battery life these last few days seems to be a major improvement over my S4. Overall I like this M8. But I did see a coworker with a new S5 yesterday, and I was a bit jealous for some reason, that screen did look beautiful, and is a lightweight phone.

I have like 10 more days to return it and get an S5, but only if Root is achieved on the ATT S5 will I make the exchange.

Same on Verizon. I think this is the first phone I've hear of where devs couldn't at least develop a quick root method for a phone. I don't really care about bootloaders anymore, but root.. that's definitely a necessity for me on any phone. I think the M8 is the (slightly) better phone overall anyways though.

Same on Verizon. I think this is the first phone I've hear of where devs couldn't at least develop a quick root method for a phone. I don't really care about bootloaders anymore, but root.. that's definitely a necessity for me on any phone. I think the M8 is the (slightly) better phone overall anyways though.

Yep, with no basic root even for the ATT S5, it's a no buy for me. I can't handle a U.S. carrier bloated Samsung Galaxy phone, that I can't remove the crapwear, or do some basic rooting tweaks like AdAway, and Xposed framework.

So I am sticking with this cool M8 :cool: The screen is more washed out looking than the S4, but the M8 is super bright, and very nice whites, just so crisp and clear looking.

Plus on principle I'd rather support HTC now, they are developer friendly with the M7 and M8, and they have a GPE M8 phone out already.

"Blah blah blah blah" - Gary Oldman

HTC M8. Never buy a phone that you cannot root or ROM.

I just saw this thread at Phandroid comparing the M8 camera to the GS5.

Pretty surprising outcome, I figured the M8 would have been better for darker scenes, but the GS5 pretty much dominates in every shot, even the darker scene pics somehow. I wonder if he had some setting jacked on the M8 to cause it to be so much darker?

Coming from an S4, the M8 screen outdoors, is much brighter and easier to see in the day. And is a nice break from AMOLED, the M8 is very crispand sharp display.

So i tried my friends GS5 for a few minutes, and just to quickly give an update, the lag is hardly noticeable. I didnt even notice a lag at all, but based on videos, the HTC One m8 seemed a tiny bit quicker in getting between menus and screens, but it is like a microscopic difference. The only way youll notice or get upset is if you use the GS5 and HTC side by side. I thought the "lag" on the GS5 would be noticeable and get me mad or upset, but nope, nothing.

So i tried my friends GS5 for a few minutes, and just to quickly give an update, the lag is hardly noticeable. I didnt even notice a lag at all, but based on videos, the HTC One m8 seemed a tiny bit quicker in getting between menus and screens, but it is like a microscopic difference. The only way youll notice or get upset is if you use the GS5 and HTC side by side. I thought the "lag" on the GS5 would be noticeable and get me mad or upset, but nope, nothing.

That's what I thought. There was little lag on my S3 and of course the S5 will be even less. A very biased review as expected from them.

I just saw this thread at Phandroid comparing the M8 camera to the GS5.

Pretty surprising outcome, I figured the M8 would have been better for darker scenes, but the GS5 pretty much dominates in every shot, even the darker scene pics somehow. I wonder if he had some setting jacked on the M8 to cause it to be so much darker?
funny part is phandroid said htc had the better camera in their article due to better software.

I don't think Droid-Life is wrong in their accessment of TouchWiz. Like I said, if you're used to TouchWiz, this is great, the best TouchWiz ever. But if you're used to the stock, Sense 5/6, current moto blur, or whatever is in LG's G2, TouchWiz will feel slow and the whole thing is fragmented. Sure, I wouldn't throw the phone against the wall, but with other devices available, I'll totally take the others. As for Moto X being faster, well, moto X is a very well done device with a very well done stockesque launcher. I really don't know where TouchWiz development went wrong.

All these writers miss the fact that there might very well be users who *like* TouvhWiz and are used to it, and its little quirks. Lots of people stay loyal to the Galaxy line, changing the UI drastically isn't something any company will do.

The skin only matters on forums and blogs, in real life normal users couldn't care less, at least none that I've met. You can give them Sense, TW, Optimus etc and they'll use it with no complaints.

Having purchased both I will not be trading my dad for his S5. Neither is a bad choice though I certainly prefer the HTC. Touchwiz lag isn't that laggy but lag shouldn't be there at all. I'ts just a bit clunky. For example, It's my dads first android phone and he keeps not being able to answer calls because you have to touch and hold the answer button before swiping. He kept telling me it wouldn't always work so I had to driver over and see what the issue was.... It's just a touchwiz thing I guess. He won't have problems anymore, it's not a terrible thing, just strange and makes the UI feel a bit slower or laggy in that you have to touch the button for a fraction of a second before swiping or it will not register...

Last edited:
Having purchased both I will not be trading my dad for his S5. Neither is a bad choice though I certainly prefer the HTC. Touchwiz lag isn't that laggy but lag shouldn't be there at all. I'ts just a bit clunky. For example, It's my dads first android phone and he keeps not being able to answer calls because you have to touch and hold the answer button before swiping. He kept telling me it wouldn't always work so I had to driver over and see what the issue was.... It's just a touchwiz thing I guess. He won't have problems anymore, it's not a terrible thing, just strange and makes the UI feel a bit slower or laggy in that you have to touch the button for a fraction of a second before swiping or it will not register...

I bet that is to get past some sorta patent. Thank Apple for that. ;)

I'm an ATT guy, and no root either for the S5, let alone custom Recovery. Only way I'd upgrade to the S5 is if there was root available, and if there was custom recovery available for ROM'ing on the ATT S5 I'd get it in a heartbeat. But sadly that doesn't look even remotely on the horizon for the S5 :(

So...I went with the One M8 instead, I need root for apps like AdAway, Greenify, root file access to delete the bloat, etc... And I like custom ROM's but only stock based ones, that don't change the look, but improve the stock OS with better battery life, and improved performance, but still looks like the stock One, etc...

And that most awesome stock based ROM is; InsertCoin;
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2704539

InsertCoin ROM's are famous, for stability #1 , better than stock battery life #2, and minor tweaks / options for themes, but his ROM's look 99% just like the stock phone, just more options :) InsertCoin is very fast and smooth, with much better battery life. Running this ROM, my M8 gets battery life comparable to my old Note 2, which was amazing.

What cases are you all using with the M8? I found this trick to get the phone for $150 through Best Buy and keep my unlimited data. So I think I'm going to pull the trigger on it in the next couple weeks. A case is not optional for me, but I want to keep it as thin/lightweight as possible, preferably a TPU material, like I've had on my Note 2 since it launched and it has protected it very well from lots of drops. But in the One's case, I think I would like to have a clear/transparent type case so you can see the purdyness of it still, hah. This case seems to fit the bill, but curious if you all have any other recommendations.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
What cases are you all using with the M8? I found this trick to get the phone for $150 through Best Buy and keep my unlimited data. So I think I'm going to pull the trigger on it in the next couple weeks. A case is not option

Thanks for the plug. :)

Thanks for the plug. :)

Hah, awesome. I'm Philosoraptor in that thread too (they made me change my name because this one is too offensive apparently, hah)! Nice coincidence :cool:.

I was considering posting that same thread here to spread the word. I'm sure some here would appreciate it. :)

After a week of owning the One M8 I am pretty happy with it, I'd say very happy actually. Not fair, but the comparisons are against my previous phone, the Galaxy S4.

Pros;
- Screen is awesome, very crisp and sharp, with realistic colors, looks extremely detailed. After my S4's AMOLED, this is a refreshing change. Plus outdoors it looks night and day better than the S4 screen.
- Crazy smooth fast. The M8 is Star Trek warp speed fast compared to the S4 which would be current rocket technology fast. Plus TW on the S4 would lag or pause for a second or two in some apps, never get anything like that on the M8.
- Sense 6 is very nice, compared to Touchwiz, it looks more professional, nice Black / White / Blue theme and design to Sense 6, more of a minimalistic look. I still think stock Android is the best, but Sense 6 is a very close second. And Touchwiz is last place of all UI's to me.
- Battery life on the M8 is off the charts AMAZING, I mean like really good, maybe even 50% better then my S4. This thing almost lasts as long as my old Note 2 battery.
- Speakers, I wasn't ever really looking for great speakers in a cell phone before, never thought about it. But wow these are crazy good, loud and very clear sound. YouTube videos and music sound awesome. Really wasn't expecting to like the speakers as much as I do.
- Development friendly, I am rooted, custom Recovery, S-Off, and running a custom stock ROM. And I have the option to install the GPE ROM of the M8, so can always be on the latest Android OS if I want for years now.

Cons;
- Heavy weight, not a fan of the heavier feel of this M8, compared to my old S4 which was feather light. The S4 in gym shorts was barely noticeable, where the M8 feels like a brick.
- Curved back not cool, I like flat backs on a phone, to rest on a desk, and use it while laying down on the table. Can't really do that with the M8. I like a small thin flat case around my phone, not curved.
- Accessories, not nearly as many cases available for the M8, as there are for the iPhone or Galaxy line.
- LED Notification light on the S4 is better, bigger and brighter. The M8 has this tiny little flashing dot hiding inside the speaker grille.
- Not waterproof like the new S5, which would be nice.

Overall I really like this M8, just need to find that right case. But the S5 still looks nice too, but with no root and no ROM's for the S5 that is a big deal for me. I couldn't handle a stock carrier version S5 with no customization or option to debloat it. But the lighter feel, and flat back is nice for the S5.

At the end of the day there is no perfect phone. I think a combination of the S5 + M8 = perfect phone. Sense 6 + S5 screen + metal design in the shape of the old smaller S4 size + waterproof. Then I woke up :)

Last edited:
I just held both devices at the local AT&T store...Currently have an S3 and ready to upgrade. I can tell you this, I have no plan to get an S5 after looking at the M8. To me the S5 just seem to much like the S4, feels the same and I'm not big on TouchGiz.. The HTC looks way more refined, I liked the screen better (sharper) and the aluminum build was top notch. I didn't think it was heavy at all, yeah compared to the S5 but its nothing in my opinion.

Only thing I didn't like was the style of the icons and fonts, and the on screen buttons. That would take some time getting use to. This phone with Cyanogen mod would be the bomb, Also - I thought the screen was a little small compared to to the S5, seems more tall and narrow. Anyway, Keep your HTC M8.

Every day I like my M8 more and more which is usually not the case with any phone I buy.

I have not had a moment to S-off yet but hoping to do that this coming weekend.

I thought the LED notification LED seemed a bit dim but apparently it is brighter when it flashes than when it is constantly on so it works out fine and actually seems quite refined.

I also just found out it has an FM radio (which verizon removed the software for). Luckily the app can be side loaded. I forgot how much I miss having an FM radio in a pinch or when I'm tired of listening to the same old crap over and over (yea same can be said for the radio if you listen to it a lot I suppose lol).

The UAG case is a little thicker than I like but it looks like it will do an excellent job of protection. It works with the IR blaster as well. It will allow the phone to lay flat if that's your thing because it has feet in the back corners. This should also help to prevent scratches to the clear plastic portion that shows off the phones metal body.

Last edited:

damn I have verizon and I am 2 hours into trying to S-Off

1) First I found the XDA Developer link here which has a QR code to scan to download the file.
2) Realized I did not have a QR Scanner installed so I installed google goggles.
3) Scanned the code and realized it did not work and simply takes me to the xda developers forum
4) Searched for another link and found this one http://dottech.org/156395/how-to-root-htc-one-m8-on-android-4-4-kitkat-verizon-guide/ (This QR code works)
5) downloaded and installed the weaksauce exploit.
6) decided I better backup my data first.
7) Installed titanium backup
8) Was told to enable USB debugging
9) Found this can only be enabled if your phone has development mode enabled.
10) Searched for how to do that on this newest version of android and found this link. http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/g...e-m8-developer-options-high-performance-mode/ which I was able to figure out the exact steps for the M* on my own.
11) In the newly unlocked developer options from the enabled USB debugging.
12) Titanium backup reminded me I do not have the paid version (but I do own a licesnse!) Need to copy the license file to the SD card.
13) Realized I don't have an external SD card installed.
14) Searched the house for a paperclip to pop out the SD card slot, no dice... Found a needle and trimmed the head off it with wire cutters, and popped out the door.
15) Installed the SD card!
16) Titanium backup says it cannot write to the external SD card (Well this is where I like to keep my backups not on the internal Card....)

I'm trying to resolve this now but for some reason I can't write to the external SD card like I used to be able to :( Still not ready to S-Off... I'm going to assume it has something to do with new newest android 4.4 version.

17) Download and install SDFix from the android market to fix android 4.4 (requires root) I guess apparently to backup your phone to an external card you have to void your warranty lol.
18) Reboot the phone.
19) Found out that this application does not work on my M8...

Last edited:
damn I have verizon and I am 2 hours into trying to S-Off

1) First I found the XDA Developer link here which has a QR code to scan to download the file.
2) Realized I did not have a QR Scanner installed so I installed google goggles.
3) Scanned the code and realized it did not work and simply takes me to the xda developers forum
4) Searched for another link and found this one http://dottech.org/156395/how-to-root-htc-one-m8-on-android-4-4-kitkat-verizon-guide/ (This QR code works)
5) downloaded and installed the weaksauce exploit.
6) decided I better backup my data first.
7) Installed titanium backup
8) Was told to enable USB debugging
9) Found this can only be enabled if your phone has development mode enabled.
10) Searched for how to do that on this newest version of android and found this link. http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/g...e-m8-developer-options-high-performance-mode/ which I was able to figure out the exact steps for the M* on my own.
11) In the newly unlocked developer options from the enabled USB debugging.
12) Titanium backup reminded me I do not have the paid version (but I do own a licesnse!) Need to copy the license file to the SD card.
13) Realized I don't have an external SD card installed.
14) Searched the house for a paperclip to pop out the SD card slot, no dice... Found a needle and trimmed the head off it with wire cutters, and popped out the door.
15) Installed the SD card!
16) Titanium backup says it cannot write to the external SD card (Well this is where I like to keep my backups not on the internal Card....)

I'm trying to resolve this now but for some reason I can't write to the external SD card like I used to be able to :( Still not ready to S-Off... I'm going to assume it has something to do with new newest android 4.4 version.

17) Download and install SDFix from the android market to fix android 4.4 (requires root) I guess apparently to backup your phone to an external card you have to void your warranty lol.
18) Reboot the phone.
19) Found out that this application does not work on my M8...

Definitely post back when you figure it out. I'm ordering my Verizon M8 today and plan on at least rooting and unlocking it (the bootloader) immediately. Not sure if I'll stick with the stock ROM or not, but I will at least initially just to ensure that there's no hardware issues with the phone. I assume you found this guide on XDA?

Definitely post back when you figure it out. I'm ordering my Verizon M8 today and plan on at least rooting and unlocking it (the bootloader) immediately. Not sure if I'll stick with the stock ROM or not, but I will at least initially just to ensure that there's no hardware issues with the phone. I assume you found this guide on XDA?

Nope I was using this one, and scouring the forums which kinda sucks in comparison.
http://firewater-soff.com/instructions/

Thanks for that link would have saved me sometime. Trying to get ADB right now (more walls lol) I didn't want to download the bundle so I downloaded the SDK Tools for windows which only shows up if you selelct (Use an Existing IDE I'm a software developer and prefer IntelliJ)
http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
But then you go to where you would expect to find ADB and it has moved to another location (which does not exist) You have to run the SDK Manager, but it fails to do anything. Had to launch it as administrator now it seems to have downloaded adb.

You may also want to add ADB to your widows path so you can execute it from within any folder (No need to copy firewater to the android SDK platform-tools folder)

Nearly 3 hours into S-Offing my phone now 1/2 hour my ass! It's well over 1/2 hour just for the downloads :p

Last edited:
Back