HTC HD2

This may be a silly question, but would it be possible to buy a smartphone like an HD2 and install a different OS without too much issue? If so, how would you go about it?

I'm not too familiar with smartphones; I still use a "brick" and am weary of upgrading, although touchscreens, GPS etc sound very appealing if I could get it with the OS/interface of my choice and config.

This may be a silly question, but would it be possible to buy a smartphone like an HD2 and install a different OS without too much issue? If so, how would you go about it?

I'm not too familiar with smartphones; I still use a "brick" and am weary of upgrading, although touchscreens, GPS etc sound very appealing if I could get it with the OS/interface of my choice and config.

its pretty much whatever it comes with. There are some dedicated hackers out there working to port Android to the TouchPro2 right now, but don't expect to pop OSX on it and cal it a day. Smartphones are not like computers, they are fairly specialized and drivers are the hardest part, as they generally have to be custom built(which is not fun)

Isnt that the only current WM phone that meets the specs for the upgrade?

its pretty much whatever it comes with. There are some dedicated hackers out there working to port Android to the TouchPro2 right now, but don't expect to pop OSX on it and cal it a day. Smartphones are not like computers, they are fairly specialized and drivers are the hardest part, as they generally have to be custom built(which is not fun)

As I suspected. Thanks.

Kickstand and Extended Battery are now available. See link in first post.

For those living in an ATT 850 3g area you can import the Aussie version and use it with 3g. As long as you dont leave the 850 coverage area... which should be expanding...

Whats the 850 3g area? Does that include SF Bay Area?

http://www.cellularmaps.com/att_850_1900.shtml

Second map is the 850 band.
They are rolling out big updates this year for the 850 3g network so it will get better if you decide to go with the Aussie HD2.

Some people who are on the edge of the coverage are and are having some issues staying on HSPDA speeds some even having issues staying on 3g, while others in solid areas have had no issues getting the phone up and running at full speed.

alright, where can i find an Aussie version of this phone?!?! Anyone wanna help a brutha out?

Well the real question for me is I wonder if the HD2 will get the W7 upgrade. I might have to hold out till christmas instead of getting the Tmo version next month

OFC it is going to get win7. It will have it from MS and/or HTC themselves or it will get it from XDA... Either way, that is not a question

I wont sell my Nexus, but Im definitely going to pick one up to play around with it.

OFC it is going to get win7. It will have it from MS and/or HTC themselves or it will get it from XDA... Either way, that is not a question

I can find no information that the upgrade is a done deal...

A recent tweet from the official Windows Phone 7 Twitter account stated “to everyone asking about HD2 & Windows Phone 7 Series; nothing announced yet but there may be info coming next month”

While I hope next month gives us the answer, right now I cant find a "yes" any where online.

Is this true ? I read it on one of the youtube videos of the T-Mobile preview.

HTC HD 2 is going to Verizon ?

I can find no information that the upgrade is a done deal...

A recent tweet from the official Windows Phone 7 Twitter account stated “to everyone asking about HD2 & Windows Phone 7 Series; nothing announced yet but there may be info coming next month”

While I hope next month gives us the answer, right now I cant find a "yes" any where online.

Seriously?

I eschew "official comments" when common sense overrides. This is the oly Win7 compatible phone out right now, and they need a beast of a phone to make win7 look like the gem it is. They will be putting win7 on as much as possible.

I could see them skipping over the HD2 in favor of its replacement. From their video's they want 3 hard keys, one being search. Hardware wise its more than ready for it, but I could see MS skipping over it officially.

I doubt it will take too long for XDA to get it on it though.

Seriously?

I eschew "official comments" when common sense overrides. This is the oly Win7 compatible phone out right now, and they need a beast of a phone to make win7 look like the gem it is. They will be putting win7 on as much as possible.

I agree with what you are saying, but W7 wont be out till Xmas...with the new hardware to go with it correct?....so why would they "have" to upgrade the HD2, when the new hardware to go along with it will be out at launch time?

To make it more viable in long term sales. Once Win7 phones are out, all the other WinMo phones are obsolete.

If they want to continue selling it, it is an easy fix to load it with 7

Or let XDA do it :p

Had a chance to see one of these in person the other day. It is pretty neat but wow is it big. I was not expecting it to be as big as it is. Does not really look comfortable to pocket the screen is nice though and the phone looks really solid if you can deal with the size of it. I don't think I will ever buy a Windows Mobile again though the OS is dead and it doesn't look like Devs are ready to jump back on the bandwagon again anytime soon.

Personally I love SERO, I mean CDMA; so I'm waiting for the SERO, I mean, CDMA version....... patiently..... Supersonic, HD2, whatever. Sprint, time to get a damn decent phone. Still using my Treo 800w and I've almost reached my limit of patience. (although I did dunk it in the river while on, despite the dirt, salt, sewage and of course water it still works :rolleyes:)

This phone + OLED screen (and about 1mm thinner + better batt life as a result) would be godlike.

Had a chance to see one of these in person the other day. It is pretty neat but wow is it big. I was not expecting it to be as big as it is. Does not really look comfortable to pocket the screen is nice though and the phone looks really solid if you can deal with the size of it. I don't think I will ever buy a Windows Mobile again though the OS is dead and it doesn't look like Devs are ready to jump back on the bandwagon again anytime soon.

Umm...where have you been the last two weeks?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/17/windows-phone-7-series-everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know/

Talk to me in a year when it's available LOL Heard it all before. Microsoft burned alot of bridges with developers in the phone world it will take something quite amazing for them to pull out of the hole they are in. Not saying they won't do it but I am saying i'll believe it when I see it and if it does actually come to fruition i'll be right there in line waiting to buy one but it's really hard to get excited about at this point given MS past history with phone OS.

Back