HTC HD2

harsaphes

Supreme [H]ardness
Thought I would start this thread since theres a lot of interest in this beast.

4090079599_3ef7ac5a6e.jpg

Picture pulled from HTC website.

45 Min Video Walk through.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxkIJdG2brU&feature=player_embedded

Howard Forums Thread
http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1576573

Xda-Developers Thread
http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=531

Boy Genius Review
http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/11/11/htc-hd2-hands-on/

MobileBurn Review.Two parts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76IgKqdMPuE&feature=player_embedded

TmoNews item concerning US TMO.
http://www.tmonews.com/2009/10/htc-hd2/

GSMArena Review
http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_htd2-review-418.php

Engadget Review
http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/25/htc-hd2-review/

Hopefully coming to TMO or ATT. Confirmed at CES that it is coming to TMobile.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/06/htc-hd2-officially-headed-to-t-mobile/

TMobile Support Forum
http://forums.t-mobile.com/t5/HTC-HD2/bd-p/HTC_HD2

USA version gets spec boost.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/24/htc-hd2-gets-a-spec-boost-for-the-us/

Engadget Hidden Ram
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/29/htcs-hd2-carrying-a-secret-stash-of-hidden-ram/

Gizmodo ...Kickstand,Extended battery..post.
http://gizmodo.com/5465387/htc-hd2-gets-in-on-the-kickstand-craze-thats-sweeping-the-nation

Engadget Post about March 24 TMO launch.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/06/t-mobile-getting-moto-cliq-xt-htc-hd2-nokia-nuron-next-month/

Tmo announcement about HD2
http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/12/t-mobile-promises-to-say-more-about-the-htc-hd2-next-week/

Please add your comments and links.

Last edited:
Very, very excited over this phone. I'm hoping it comes to ATT & TMo, but I'm guessing it is just coming to TMo. I personally feel ATT should try and get this phone since eventually the iphone exclusivity will end eventually and ATT has no other hyped up phones to replace and one needs to start early to try and replace it. Everything is great about this phone (well at least from my PC screen :p) from the hardware to the software. I'm hoping though that when my contract (if on TMo) is up or my upgrade eligibity (on ATT with iphone 3g right now) is in that WinMo 7 is out (Not dissing WinMo 6.5.1 as I have not used it,but since its fairly old an OS needs to be able to better interact with more current hardware)

I have never been excited about a WinMo before but this is looking pretty slick.

No but I recall reading on XDA that someone had found a FCC application for a CDMA version but I can't find the link they gave.

I think you are thinking of the HTC passion (most likely the former 'Dragon') which is not the same phone as the HD2. Link

I think that might be why I didn't find the link. So many phones to be excited about this year and first half of next. After years of waiting for a phone that could replace my HP 4700 as a PDA it looks like I'll finally get to retire it.

I REALLY want this phone to come to verizon. I've been having erotic dreams about it for almost a month now.

Honestly, I don't see massive improvements over the Imagio. I mean sure the processor is faster, but it's not like what we currently have is slow and doesn't that just mean higher battery drain? OS-wise we can get the same right now, so it's really just down to hardware which doesn't seem amazingly different to me. Sure it has a capacitive screen, but that's not better just different. Losing the stylus option is actually a negative for me. Don't get me wrong, it seems overall better, but not by much. I don't see anything worth waiting or drooling over. Am I just missing something obvious?

Last edited:
Supposedly a phone like this IS RUMORED to be coming to verizon. It will be called the Verizon Passion also known as the htc dragon. I just got a droid and its a decent piece but may return it if the passion is a real device and gets here in a timely manner. It's all speculation at this point.

Good point about the faster phones, etc. The droid seems fast enough for what it does. Guess the big deal about the hd2 and passion would be the 4.3" screens? They seem to be getting too large for me though.

Supposedly a phone like this IS RUMORED to be coming to verizon. It will be called the Verizon Passion also known as the htc dragon. I just got a droid and its a decent piece but may return it if the passion is a real device and gets here in a timely manner. It's all speculation at this point.

Good point about the faster phones, etc. The droid seems fast enough for what it does. Guess the big deal about the hd2 and passion would be the 4.3" screens? They seem to be getting too large for me though.

Dragon hits by Xmas

^^^^ As much as I want the HD2 to have my kids, I am getting tired of the poor app support for winmo. Don't get me wrong, I really like Winmo 6.5 on my Omnia, but I am really looking forward to the Dragon/Passion on Verizon.....

As far as ATT getting the HD2? No chance..... ATT does not have the bandwidth to support even half of the ifones out there.

^^^^ As much as I want the HD2 to have my kids, I am getting tired of the poor app support for winmo. Don't get me wrong, I really like Winmo 6.5 on my Omnia, but I am really looking forward to the Dragon/Passion on Verizon.....

ditto

Dragon hits by Xmas

Is this an official Verizon announcment? I want to walk into our local corporate store and say I'm returning the Droid to hold out for the Dragon that was annouced by jacuzz1, a VZW employee on [H]ardforums :D
J/K we love ya ;)

Added two more links for everyone to look at....
Really want a new phone so I am hoping the TMO item is true...

I just watched a video of the HD2 in action, needless to say it's a good thing it wasn't available when the Droid was released. I would have purchased the HD2 on Verizon over the Droid. I'm not a WinMo fan, but that Sense UI is slick on 6.5.

I just watched a video of the HD2 in action, needless to say it's a good thing it wasn't available when the Droid was released. I would have purchased the HD2 on Verizon over the Droid. I'm not a WinMo fan, but that Sense UI is slick on 6.5.

True, but a pretty GUI is only impressive for the first few days or so, after which you realize all the stuff you're missing out on.

Rumor has it that the Passion/Dragon is going to hit Verizon by the end of the year. An HTC Android phone with a 1Ghz Snapdragon CPU... it has me rethinking my previous commitment to only phones that have hardware keyboards.

True, but a pretty GUI is only impressive for the first few days or so, after which you realize all the stuff you're missing out on.

Rumor has it that the Passion/Dragon is going to hit Verizon by the end of the year. An HTC Android phone with a 1Ghz Snapdragon CPU... it has me rethinking my previous commitment to only phones that have hardware keyboards.

True..and im using android now..but what really are you missing out on?...99% of my phone use is ..Calling, Texting, Emailing...the rest is bells and whistles...

True..and im using android now..but what really are you missing out on?...99% of my phone use is ..Calling, Texting, Emailing...the rest is bells and whistles...

Everyone uses their phones in different ways. I'm looking for the phone that will ultimately do the most for me as a tech professional, and that means a device that is as flexible as possible.

It's kind of like saying, do you use Windows or Linux? With either you can browse the web and play media, and there are circumstances where Windows can do a better job of looking pretty and playing media, but then there are times when it pays to have the flexibility that Linux offers.

If you don't mind being chained down, (which isn't necessarily a bad thing; lots of men are just fine being chained to a woman if she's hot enough), then by all means, a WinMo phone like the HD2 will rock your world. Then there are guys like me who are looking for more than just a pretty face. My girlfriend is a good example; she's a beautiful woman (take my word for it), but she's also a great artist, a damn good gamer (first time I saw her play Mario I knew I was in love), a rapidly improving cook, and an amazing mother to our child. If I had to pick between her and a playboy bunny to spend the rest of my life with, I'd pick her in a second, (and no, she doesn't read these forums :-p)

Maybe if Microsoft's Marketplace for apps fleshed out a bit more and cost less, I'd give more consideration to the HD2.

Last edited:
Two months with my iPhone have convinced me of the following:

1. Touchscreen is easy for all my main uses: e-mail, text, web, schedule, calendar. I won't ever go back to a hard keyboard phone
2. I definitely want internet radio, music and video players
3. 95% of the apps I've acquired (3 full screens) were a waste of time/money
4. I loathe AT&T

If the HD2 does 1 and 2 extremely well and is on T-Mobile, it'll be my next phone.

Everyone uses their phones in different ways. I'm looking for the phone that will ultimately do the most for me as a tech professional, and that means a device that is as flexible as possible.

It's kind of like saying, do you use Windows or Linux? With either you can browse the web and play media, and there are circumstances where Windows can do a better job of looking pretty and playing media, but then there are times when it pays to have the flexibility that Linux offers.

If you don't mind being chained down, (which isn't necessarily a bad thing; lots of men are just fine being chained to a woman if she's hot enough), then by all means, a WinMo phone like the HD2 will rock your world. Then there are guys like me who are looking for more than just a pretty face. My girlfriend is a good example; she's a beautiful woman (take my word for it), but she's also a great artist, a damn good gamer (first time I saw her play Mario I knew I was in love), a rapidly improving cook, and an amazing mother to our child. If I had to pick between her and a playboy bunny to spend the rest of my life with, I'd pick her in a second, (and no, she doesn't read these forums :-p)

Maybe if Microsoft's Marketplace for apps fleshed out a bit more and cost less, I'd give more consideration to the HD2.

Good point about identifying how individuals will use their phones differently. For me, I like the ability to SSH from my phone to a server or piece of networking eqiupment. My iPhone was OK for this, but not great. I'm learning that the SSH apps are much easier to use on my Droid thanks to the keyboard and D-pad. This isn't something I do often, but when in a pinch and out of the office it's awesome.
I really am getting used to and good with the keyboard. I am using it over the virtual keyboard, and it doesn't bug me one bit. I'm not a heavy text/email typing person though. I may send 1 -3 txt's a day and the same goes for emails. The emails are usually 1-2 liners, so not much more than a text.
Anyway, I hear rumors of this Passion and hope they are true. However, I'm starting to wonder if I'd make the jump from the Droid. Something I'll have to weigh and consider.

Good point about identifying how individuals will use their phones differently. For me, I like the ability to SSH from my phone to a server or piece of networking eqiupment. My iPhone was OK for this, but not great. I'm learning that the SSH apps are much easier to use on my Droid thanks to the keyboard and D-pad. This isn't something I do often, but when in a pinch and out of the office it's awesome.
I really am getting used to and good with the keyboard. I am using it over the virtual keyboard, and it doesn't bug me one bit. I'm not a heavy text/email typing person though. I may send 1 -3 txt's a day and the same goes for emails. The emails are usually 1-2 liners, so not much more than a text.
Anyway, I hear rumors of this Passion and hope they are true. However, I'm starting to wonder if I'd make the jump from the Droid. Something I'll have to weigh and consider.

Good info, I'd love to have a phone I can SSH and RDP from. I really should never, never have sprung for the Voyager... I jumped on the first touchscreen dumbphone to hit Verizon and I've been regretting it ever since. Contract is up for renewal in February, which is a good thing since it'll give me some time to make my decision.

It also helps that I'm as broke as a joke right now... and I won't be any richer come the holiday season.

Good point about identifying how individuals will use their phones differently. For me, I like the ability to SSH from my phone to a server or piece of networking eqiupment. My iPhone was OK for this, but not great. I'm learning that the SSH apps are much easier to use on my Droid thanks to the keyboard and D-pad...

What app(s) are you using for SSH? I haven't had much time at all to play around in the marketplace, but remote management is one of the first things I want to get into since that's 80% of what I do at work. I was pretty bummed when I couldn't get VNC java applets to run in the default browser, but SSH would do nicely if it had to be done. Do you use any RDP or VNC viewer apps?

What app(s) are you using for SSH? I haven't had much time at all to play around in the marketplace, but remote management is one of the first things I want to get into since that's 80% of what I do at work. I was pretty bummed when I couldn't get VNC java applets to run in the default browser, but SSH would do nicely if it had to be done. Do you use any RDP or VNC viewer apps?

I use ConnectBot for my SSH client. Works pretty well, no complaints yet from me. Android market does have some VNC and RDP apps, I just did a quick search and haven't tried any of them yet.

This thread has swerved from the OP's topic quite a bit. The HD2 looks great from what I can tell, but its hard to wade through most of the reviews hardcore iphone love. Well hopefully some news on which carrier it'll be on will be announced before the end of the year.

I quote "Greatest phone of all time". I wish it did have a hard keyboard and a 1ghz snap dragon processor but you really cant go wrong at all with this phone. I just wish I could use it on sprint.

I quote "Greatest phone of all time". I wish it did have a hard keyboard and a 1ghz snap dragon processor but you really cant go wrong at all with this phone. I just wish I could use it on sprint.
The HD2 has Snapdragon.

LOTS of problems going on with this phone...check out the XDA threads....to bad, I really like the looks of it..oh well, we will see.

LOTS of problems going on with this phone...check out the XDA threads....to bad, I really like the looks of it..oh well, we will see.

Just read through some HD2 threads and it looks like there was a snafu with a production ROM for the Italian version that caused a performance and causing a delay in Italy but nothing earth shattering that I've found thus far.

This phone still looks to make even a Droid look like junk.

Just read through some HD2 threads and it looks like there was a snafu with a production ROM for the Italian version that caused a performance and causing a delay in Italy but nothing earth shattering that I've found thus far.

This phone still looks to make even a Droid look like junk.
This. Everything I'm reading about the HD2 looks great so far. Just gotta hang on 'til early 2010 and hope it's a winner.

Back