HP Touchpad 16GB $99, 32GB $149, Active for .edu

I bought the last 16GB touchpad at my local Best Buy, its pretty cool but I hardly even use it..think I might sell it.

They are a novelty. Never had a desire for one... but managed to score one at Amazon. Its neat, loses it's novelty soon after. Typing on it is torture. I have yet to find a device I'd rather use than my PC, I don't know who these "the PC is dead" morons are but I will certainly never be one of them.

Give me 4 cores, 8 threads, 16GB of ram, 512 shaders and 2 terabytes of beautiful power guzzling circuitry. You will have to pry my cold, dead fingers from my 120hz LCD and keyboard before I succumb to the shrinking intellect of the mobile only "user". :D

Has anyone done a battery comparison of battery life stock, 1.5ghz and 1.7ghz? I'm totally up for overclocking, but everything I've read yet is subjective opinion on the battery life. I'd be interested to see how the extra power hits the battery if anyone has an overclocked touchpad.

They are a novelty. Never had a desire for one... but managed to score one at Amazon. Its neat, loses it's novelty soon after. Typing on it is torture. I have yet to find a device I'd rather use than my PC, I don't know who these "the PC is dead" morons are but I will certainly never be one of them.

Give me 4 cores, 8 threads, 16GB of ram, 512 shaders and 2 terabytes of beautiful power guzzling circuitry. You will have to pry my cold, dead fingers from my 120hz LCD and keyboard before I succumb to the shrinking intellect of the mobile only "user". :D

wanna sell it to me then?

I disagree that tablets are a novelty. I consider them more like another tool in the toolbox ;) Sorry, going into my home office and setting at a desk to browse the Internet is entirely too cumbersome. Sitting on the sofa with a laptop on my lap to watch youtube, hulu, etc. works, but I feel there are better options. Not to mention reading ebooks on a laptop in bed... yuck!

I have an iPad from work and find myself using it more than my laptop whenever I just want to browse the web or watch a quick video. I have multiple work PDFs on it that I can pull up quickly without having to worry about carrying around a laptop, let alone the books. VMWare PDFs for VCP study, Configuration Manager (SCCM) books, CCNA, plus company released PDFs for support purposes.

For traveling I usually toss on 3-4 movies plus TV episodes I want to get caught up on. It is a lot easier pulling out a tablet and watching it on a plane than getting the laptop out and having to set it on those flimsy trays on the back of the seats.

The only downside I've really encountered with using a tablet just for web browsing is the onscreen keyboard. I got to an iPad2 with a bluetooth keyboard/case for about 2 weeks.. and I'm still pissed I had to give it back. I could easily browse the web, and when I needed to type a lengthy forum response I could use the keyboard just as well as using a laptop :)

I think PCs and laptops will continue to have a place, but to consider a tablet as a simple novelty is severely underestimating them IMO.

I'm sick and tired of having to sit at a desktop to do anything. Todays mobile devices let you do almost everything a normal person does with a pc. I am personally selling my desktop and going with a mobile device such as the Asus Transformer or a small netbook style device. The only thing I had to give up was pc gaming. No big deal. Todays mobile device can do the normal tasks such as web, email, office, and music, and movies with no problem, use less power doing it and take up way less space. I mean look at Zotacs new palm sized pc.....

I'm sick and tired of having to sit at a desktop to do anything. Todays mobile devices let you do almost everything a normal person does with a pc. I am personally selling my desktop and going with a mobile device such as the Asus Transformer or a small netbook style device. The only thing I had to give up was pc gaming. No big deal. Todays mobile device can do the normal tasks such as web, email, office, and music, and movies with no problem, use less power doing it and take up way less space. I mean look at Zotacs new palm sized pc.....

[sarcasm][/sarcasm] I hope?

[sarcasm][/sarcasm] I hope?

Not at all, see my for sale thread. I'm done with pc gaming for a while. I have a 55" HDTV and surround system and Xbox360 that will keep me satisfied for at least a year or two until things change. I just can't justify the desk and chair and space in general required to keep a desktop, just to be able to play a game once in a while? No thanks.

Not at all, see my for sale thread. I'm done with pc gaming for a while. I have a 55" HDTV and surround system and Xbox360 that will keep me satisfied for at least a year or two until things change. I just can't justify the desk and chair and space in general required to keep a desktop, just to be able to play a game once in a while? No thanks.

But...but...if you give up PC gaming think of all the mediocre console ports you will miss out on!!!

HP has already stated that they will be releasing at least two more updates.

That information is coming from a company with questionable management that is pledging "full support" for a product line up with only 2 devices that were discontinued in a matter of weeks.

What do you expect them to say after a few hundred thousand people just brought a HP product into their house?

If anyone is interested in selling their touchpad for cost+shipping+small finders fee please PM me.

I am a college student and would actually use this for my online music theory class. I work graveyards and don't have a laptop.

ugh, people like this really exist. Makes my skin crawl thinking about it.

I support this message as it reflects my opinion. 65 in Panasonic plasma with a 360 from the couch? Win!

ugh, people like this really exist. Makes my skin crawl thinking about it.

you do what you have to. you try living in a 1100 sq ft apartment with wife and two kids and figure out where you put a desk with a desktop computer and big monitor.....and im not putting it on a small end table in the corner of the living room or bedroom.....so there are no options. We have a living room, two bedrooms and a den/kitchen area and that's it.....Sure, up until now living in a 3000 sq ft two story home i could have hosted a lan party in the full basement and still had room to spare...not anymore. believe it or not console gaming on the big screen on the couch is rather enjoyable. It just means I give up FPS games and go back to only racing and sports games

Desktop or die for me. I couldn't stand losing my desktop, even if I had to cram everything into a LAN box and use a smaller monitor.

When I was a college student it was laptop all the way for me. Now I just use a laptop for office and when I am out of the house. Otherwise it is desktop all the way for me. You can't really beat a good monitor (or 3, LOL), DAS keyboard and good mouse for computing needs.

Not to mention uber amounts of power :D

my touchpad from costcentral is out for delivery right now. i hope my gf is awake to sign for it! i feel like i just won the internets, congratulations me!

my touchpad from costcentral is out for delivery right now. i hope my gf is awake to sign for it! i feel like i just won the internets, congratulations me!

Got my touchstone dock from them today, and my official hp case from eCost as well, I am happies.

Got my touchstone dock from them today, and my official hp case from eCost as well, I am happies.

i dont think i really need a dock, although they are pretty cheap. might see if my best buy has any since shipping to hawaii kills everything. i do probably need a folio or something to protect it. what does everyone recommend? is the hp folio the best reasonably priced case for this thing?

i dont think i really need a dock, although they are pretty cheap. might see if my best buy has any since shipping to hawaii kills everything. i do probably need a folio or something to protect it. what does everyone recommend? is the hp folio the best reasonably priced case for this thing?

I ordered this case for it; I really liked that it had 3 slots for different viewing angles built into the case. $28.50, not a bad price either. I should have it in hand by tomorrow, I'll let you know how it is then if you'd like.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I ordered this case for it; I really liked that it had 3 slots for different viewing angles built into the case. $28.50, not a bad price either. I should have it in hand by tomorrow, I'll let you know how it is then if you'd like.

yeah i'd appreciate it, though i think im more interested in a more minimal case. one review said the pad+case is almost an inch thick? my laptop is almost an inch thick. i think i want like a skin or something to just protect it.

EDIT: a quick google for best skins ever (my favorite skin company, had the one on my iphone has lasted years) turned up this slickdeals thread. looks like they just came out with a skin for the touchpad, and im ordering one now. if youre getting one, go for the total body skin. since the side pieces are separate, if they start to peel off then you can just take them off and still have the simple back on there. and it costs the same.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Well no matter what I do all four of the touchpads in the household cannot stay connected to my dir655/dir601/dir615/wbr1310

wndr3700 in the mail. fuck you, dlink.

lols

Well no matter what I do all four of the touchpads in the household cannot stay connected to my dir655/dir601/dir615/wbr1310

lols

yeah i messed around like crazy with my dgl 4500, had to put it back on WPA and TKIP encryption, none of the options like wpa1 or wpa2, aes or tkip

yeah i messed around like crazy with my dgl 4500, had to put it back on WPA and TKIP encryption, none of the options like wpa1 or wpa2, aes or tkip

Gross. I am hoping this router fixes everything. Got the hook up on the wndr3700 - $53 shipped. Woo.

lols

disable WPA2, works with WPA without dropping. I ended up changing out my DIR655 though... Cisco E4200 gave me range way into my backyard where the DIR655 couldn't come close to.

Gross. I am hoping this router fixes everything. Got the hook up on the wndr3700 - $53 shipped. Woo.

I use my touchpad with WPA 2 connected to my WNDR3700 version 2, and I haven't noticed any drops. In fact, I was in awe at how well it was streaming videos the other day (hulu, youtube).

lols

Very odd, I have 2 DIR-655's and a DIR-601 and the Touchpad stays connected throughout the house 24/7 for the entire family. Maybe a firmware issue with your DIR-655? I am also using WPA2.

lols

I have the WNDR3700 (rev2 I believe). No issues.

disable WPA2, works with WPA without dropping. I ended up changing out my DIR655 though... Cisco E4200 gave me range way into my backyard where the DIR655 couldn't come close to.

Even with WPA I was getting drops. Only thing that worked was no security what so ever.

I use my touchpad with WPA 2 connected to my WNDR3700 version 2, and I haven't noticed any drops. In fact, I was in awe at how well it was streaming videos the other day (hulu, youtube).

AWESOME, makes me happy :)

Very odd, I have 2 DIR-655's and a DIR-601 and the Touchpad stays connected throughout the house 24/7 for the entire family. Maybe a firmware issue with your DIR-655? I am also using WPA2.

Not sure? I bought mine as a refurb -- it has the latest firmware (1.35NA). No issues with anything else. Had four laptops, an iPad, a SGT10.1, and several cell phones connected to it without issues. TP just doesn't work! /boggle

edit: maybe you're using rev_B with the 2.03NA firmware?

I have the WNDR3700 (rev2 I believe). No issues.

:):):) Hurray!

Last edited:
Just got a call from newegg

1 x ($99.99) TABLET HP|TP WIFI 16G FB355UA#ABA R $99.99

Payment Term:
Extended Warranty: $0.00
Subtotal: $99.99
Tax: $0.00
Shipping and Handling: $11.57
Total Amount: $111.56

To view our Return Policies, please click here. Newegg.com reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel the order at any time prior to shipment without liability.

To view more recommendations, please click here.

If you have any questions, please use our LiveChat function or visit our Contact Us Page.

Once You Know, You Newegg.®

Your Newegg.com Customer Service Team

For whatever it's worth, I've had zero issues with any of the routers I've used on my Touchpad.

WNDR3700 Rev1 with DD-WRT (my home, WPA2/AES)
Cisco WAPs at work (I forget the model number, but they're on WEP)
Asus something or other that has a print server, WPA2/AES.

Traded my 32GB I got from HP for a 16GB and $50 on top (~$80 total for the TP now). Just got it setup with Preware, patched and OCed it. Pretty good couch surfer I must say :)

And now with Android getting closer, this thing is just getting better.

got my touchpad yesterday! cant wait to get some time to fool around on it and OC it. :)

EDIT: just got an email a few seconds ago from HP SMB saying i will be getting a touchpad in 6-8 weeks. double touchpads ftw! gonna give it to my little bro probably.

Last edited:
I like WebOS, but I think I will still root it to Android once it comes out, just because the lack of apps really is a downer.

Welp talked to a chat representative from HP SMB and they confirmed my order from 8/23 was no longer in their system even on their end. Looks likes its curtains on getting myself a cheap tablet.

yeah havent found any real uses for mine yet, but i've only played with it for about 10 minutes so far. :/

did anyone here order from office depot? ive been getting some emails from them saying that my order was approved etc. i also have 2 charges for the same amount (on the 2nd and 5th) showing up on my credit card.

Back