HP purchases HyperX from Kingston

So does that mean that Kingston isn't going to have HyperX branded RAM? It sounds like HP is only buying the accessories part of it.
Press details are limited but it sounds like HP bought the name HyperX plus the accessories division of kingston. I would expect Kingston will have to rebrand their electrical components or something. It would be really confusing if HP bought the rights to HyperX accessories/peripherals, and HyperX for electronics stays with Kingston.
If I see more detail, I will update the OP.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/hp...-with-425-million-deal-for-hyperx-51614130008

Note to self: Do not buy HyperX.
If it goes the way of the rest of HP's stuff, it'll be fine as long as it keeps working, but they'll give you the runaround if anything goes wrong until the warranty runs out, like the laptop I bought in 2010. Great thing until the CPU died, and they spent 6 months yanking my chain and pretending to service it.

I think HP really wants to get a slice of the eSports pie, their existing attempts have been laughable and their hopes that buying a recognized brand name will help them is not the worst idea they have had in recent years.

I'm just hoping this doesn't ruin HyperX because I usually buy HyperX RAM. :woot:
Press releases (and anandtech) indicate that Kingston is keeping DRAM and SSD production. Probably will be rebranded to something else.

Hp already has a gaming brand with Omen, and a line of Omen branded gaming pcs and peripherals. I wonder what happens to all that

Hp already has a gaming brand with Omen, and a line of Omen branded gaming pcs and peripherals. I wonder what happens to all that
Probably keep it where it is for their devices but use the HyperX for branding on Accessories, I honestly forgot Omen existed because I never see or hear anything from them.

Probably keep it where it is for their devices but use the HyperX for branding on Accessories, I honestly forgot Omen existed because I never see or hear anything from them.
Yeah, not just PCs but Omen branded monitors, keyboards, headsets. Not sure about mice. Hp hyper x sounds strange

Yeah, not just PCs but Omen branded monitors, keyboards, headsets. Not sure about mice. Hp hyper x sounds strange
Why add the HP.... just keep it as HyperX. Adding HP to it would just be a good way to kill it too. But really how bad is HP's marketing if they can't get their recognition to the point where I even knew they have paraphernalia, I mean Dell, Acer, ASUS, Lenovo, send me monthly newsletters letting me know about their esports involvement and how they can help sponsor clubs in the schools. HP just sent me shockingly titled and badly formatted spam, offering me "discounts" on Aruba networking or occasionally info on how their new Proliant could save me money, but even that marketing is garbage and uninformative, HP titles all of their promotional material like click bait articles.

I have a triple channel kit of early DDR3 that was blazingly fast for the time and was a small enough production run that it claims it was hand assembled in California* and didn't have retail packaging. High end RAM like that is what I associate with the HyperX brand so I always found it amusing when they expanded it to mid-range RAM and then other things like keyboards and mice, it will be even more weird to see it as branding on HP products.

I think HP is going to have a hard time breaking into the peripheral market and I'm not sure a branding that was already stretched beyond it's original product line and now severed completely will help them much.

*I assume they just mean the heatspreaders.

Have an first-gen HyperX 3K 240GB that is now in its 4th system (my laptop, my desktop, kids desktop, and now gifted to my best friend that we were gathering and piecing together parts for his stepson's first PC)...things is a beast.

I can totally see HP using this as a sensationalist designation for their flagship gaming systems: Omen HyperX.

well poo .. now I'm going to have to spray paint my HyperX RAM modules ... I can't be "elite" with HP stuff in my computer .. :(

Yeah, buy the brand and destroy the name. Who did they merge with?
Compaq, forgot.

Last edited:
My HyperX Cloud II headset just fell apart and Kingston didn't want to honor the warranty because I bought it off Ebay that wasn't an official seller. I bought it less than a year ago too. The stupid plastic that holds the speakers to the body fell apart. Wasn't a wise idea to make them out of plastic and held together with 2 screws only. If only they sold the plastic that broke, which they don't. So I found an alternative method to fix my broken expensive headset. I won't be buying HyperX products in the future.

My HyperX Cloud II headset just fell apart and Kingston didn't want to honor the warranty because I bought it off Ebay that wasn't an official seller. I bought it less than a year ago too. The stupid plastic that holds the speakers to the body fell apart. Wasn't a wise idea to make them out of plastic and held together with 2 screws only. If only they sold the plastic that broke, which they don't. So I found an alternative method to fix my broken expensive headset. I won't be buying HyperX products in the future.
Buying it off eBay, it might not even be real HyperX, hence no support.

All my HyperX headsets have held up great.

Never buy stuff off eBay then expect to get any sort of warranty from the manufacturer, too many fake goods, too many used goods, almost no company that I have ever worked with will honor any RMA from 3'rd party resellers like that. I feel bad it fell apart on you like that, and now that the brand is owned by HP everybody else can kiss their warranties goodbye as well. I am now almost HPE free on my side after they royally screwed up on my warranties on some Procurves "Lifetime" my ass.

So I just got off the phone with my Dell rep discussing some storage and monitors I need to get ordered up, and we got to talking about the new Alienware systems they are putting out in case any of the school eSport teams need some new hardware. And they sent me over the specs and they all have HyperX memory, so I was joking "OH you partnered with HP for these" and they got very quiet and were all "Why would you say something so hurtful?" but were completely unaware that HP has purchased HyperX so now they are trying to get ahold of somebody higher up because for their own branding of things that is a problem. We all got a good laugh.

All my HyperX headsets have held up great.

My Cloud 1 (model came out 2012 or so) still works great after 5 years. Only thing that happened so far is the leather got a bit torn up but that is because of how I mount it. Aside from that, still practically perfect. I've seen better brands start cracking after 2 years. If it wasn't how I slide it across the top of my desktop tower it would've been like new. Very comfortable, and I paid $70 or so for it.

Might not be the best, but HyperX had some great headsets for the value and comfort. I really hope HP doesn't change that.

Well fuck, I'm quite fond of my HyperX Alloy Elite 2 keyboard, especially the software side of things. Guess I won't ever be updating that or buying anything else from them in the future.

The obvious brand name would be Omen HPX. Who knows, it could be decent. The Omen line isn't bad.

bad-omen-jorge-the-bachelor-gif.gif

Bummer to hear it gave you issues so quickly. I've beat the crap out of my Cloud II's and they continue to work. I've lost them off my head mowing the lawn so many times (hat + headphones when I do, I forget to duck low enough and clip them), dropped them on concrete, LAN trips, they live in my backpack, etc., and they just won't die. Think I've had them about 4-5 years now, sturdy construction through and through IMO. Best feeling headset I've personally held (that's not really saying too much compared to others).

I got Logitech G-Pro wireless ones for Christmas, and now these Cloud II's are exclusively beaters. We'll see what finally takes them out one of these days.

The obvious brand name would be Omen HPX. Who knows, it could be decent. The Omen line isn't bad.
It's not bad but sweet Jesus HP needs to work on its branding and market recognition, because they haven't done a good job there at all.

It's not bad but sweet Jesus HP needs to work on its branding and market recognition, because they haven't done a good job there at all.
Ya, but it's not their bread and butter, they don't really need to care about gaming at all. Although, purchasing HyperX may mean that they will start a more earnest push into the gaming market.

Why add the HP.... just keep it as HyperX. Adding HP to it would just be a good way to kill it too. But really how bad is HP's marketing if they can't get their recognition to the point where I even knew they have paraphernalia, I mean Dell, Acer, ASUS, Lenovo, send me monthly newsletters letting me know about their esports involvement and how they can help sponsor clubs in the schools. HP just sent me shockingly titled and badly formatted spam, offering me "discounts" on Aruba networking or occasionally info on how their new Proliant could save me money, but even that marketing is garbage and uninformative, HP titles all of their promotional material like click bait articles.

If you’re getting emails for Aruba and Proliant, hardware that’s not HP, that’s HPE which is a completely different company now.

I am now almost HPE free on my side after they royally screwed up on my warranties
Arrrrgh, you're giving me flashbacks of the three returns between August and December that completely failed to fix my Pavilion laptop that was otherwise awesome. "How many times do we have to do this before it's declared a lemon and you just replace it" isn't a question they like hearing. The answer, btw, is "however many it takes for your warranty to run out." I was tempted to blow $200 extending the warranty to find out if they would ever fix it, but I'm not stupid enough to keep throwing money at company that won't stand by their products.

Arrrrgh, you're giving me flashbacks of the three returns between August and December that completely failed to fix my Pavilion laptop that was otherwise awesome. "How many times do we have to do this before it's declared a lemon and you just replace it" isn't a question they like hearing. The answer, btw, is "however many it takes for your warranty to run out." I was tempted to blow $200 extending the warranty to find out if they would ever fix it, but I'm not stupid enough to keep throwing money at company that won't stand by their products.
Yeah I’m 2013 I purchased $150,000 in HP Procurves. By 2016 they had started to fail, 13 of them that year started to loose the last 8 ports they just died. And they would not honour the “Lifetime” warranties because they were with HP and not HPE now come 2021 and only 2 of the original 25 are still in operation and that’s because they have some specific routing tables in place and only 4 ports are being used. But they are being replaced with some DLink Nuclias switches this summer. Accounting was livid to say the least, because the purchase of the HP’s was pushed on us from the ministry who said they would only support HP, Cisco, or Juniper and I couldn’t swing the needed 25 switches in Cisco/Juniper.
Now all the heavy lifting is on Palo Alto and they no longer case about my L2 switches so DLink it is, because they work.

If you’re getting emails for Aruba and Proliant, hardware that’s not HP, that’s HPE which is a completely different company now.
Oh trust me I know all too well that HP and HPE split because when they split them off they voided the warranties as they were purchased under HP and HPE was under no obligation to honour them, which came to bite me in the ass in a $150,000 in defective Procurves.

Never buy stuff off eBay then expect to get any sort of warranty from the manufacturer, too many fake goods, too many used goods, almost no company that I have ever worked with will honor any RMA from 3'rd party resellers like that. I feel bad it fell apart on you like that, and now that the brand is owned by HP everybody else can kiss their warranties goodbye as well. I am now almost HPE free on my side after they royally screwed up on my warranties on some Procurves "Lifetime" my ass.
Then that's on HyperX's side to determine if what I have is or isn't genuine. At the very least offer to me the part that broke so I don't throw away a $100 headset. They should have corrected the mistake and made it out of aluminum as well, or at least put 4 screws and not 2 to hold it together. I know it's genuine because I'm not the only one who's had this problem. Lots of people with the Cloud II have had this problem. I've solved the problem and Kingston has paid for it one way or another, and if Kingston wants to avoid these problems then they shouldn't be cheap on certain parts of the headset to begin with.

gm4g9a2bj2p11.jpg

Then that's on HyperX's side to determine if what I have is or isn't genuine. At the very least offer to me the part that broke so I don't throw away a $100 headset. They should have corrected the mistake and made it out of aluminum as well, or at least put 4 screws and not 2 to hold it together. I know it's genuine because I'm not the other one who's had this problem. Lots of people with the Cloud II have had this problem. I've solved the problem and Kingston has paid for it one way or another, and if Kingston wants to avoid these problems then they shouldn't be cheap on certain parts of the headset to begin with.

View attachment 333330
I have no doubt that it should be on them, if the serial numbers match and you have proof of purchase that should be all that matters, it's just not at all the first time I have heard a story of somebody buying parts/accessories off eBay, having them fail then having the company refuse RMA. It's BS but that's the way the laws work sometimes so as a blanket rule I don't recommend anybody purchase new things off eBay. That said you could actually take it up with EBay and work to get a refund there, I have also heard of a lot of people doing that while an item was still under warranty because the company wouldn't honor an RMA request.

Oh trust me I know all too well that HP and HPE split because when they split them off they voided the warranties as they were purchased under HP and HPE was under no obligation to honour them, which came to bite me in the ass in a $150,000 in defective Procurves.

I worked for HP during the separation, and that just doesn’t sound right.

Then that's on HyperX's side to determine if what I have is or isn't genuine. At the very least offer to me the part that broke so I don't throw away a $100 headset. They should have corrected the mistake and made it out of aluminum as well, or at least put 4 screws and not 2 to hold it together. I know it's genuine because I'm not the only one who's had this problem. Lots of people with the Cloud II have had this problem. I've solved the problem and Kingston has paid for it one way or another, and if Kingston wants to avoid these problems then they shouldn't be cheap on certain parts of the headset to begin with.

View attachment 333330
need to 3d-print out some new pieces and get to selling them on ebay!

I worked for HP during the separation, and that just doesn’t sound right.
Nor should it, but all my A5500 units have had some sort of failure on them and HPE was useless every time, CDW bailed us out on the first few as they were all so close together, but after that batch others gradually failed and we just replaced them with DLinks. When I would contact HPE they would give me the runaround and try to upsell me on Aruba to replace it, I said no, eventually DLink contacted me and they offered me a better trade-in for a bunch of DGS 3630's to replace the dying Procurves. Now the only HP's I have left in operation are the 5800's I have running top of rack at my datacenter, those have actually been pretty bulletproof, I have the 2 in operation and their 2 hot-swappable spares that live under my desk. But my PaloAlto 3250's have taken over all the L3, OSPF, and BGP roles that the 5800's were handling so they can be replaced with a simple L2+ switch at any point and I am just waiting for budget availability to replace it with the new Nuclias DBS 2000-52MP switches, so hopefully after July.

Nor should it, but all my A5500 units have had some sort of failure on them and HPE was useless every time, CDW bailed us out on the first few as they were all so close together, but after that batch others gradually failed and we just replaced them with DLinks. When I would contact HPE they would give me the runaround and try to upsell me on Aruba to replace it, I said no, eventually DLink contacted me and they offered me a better trade-in for a bunch of DGS 3630's to replace the dying Procurves. Now the only HP's I have left in operation are the 5800's I have running top of rack at my datacenter, those have actually been pretty bulletproof, I have the 2 in operation and their 2 hot-swappable spares that live under my desk. But my PaloAlto 3250's have taken over all the L3, OSPF, and BGP roles that the 5800's were handling so they can be replaced with a simple L2+ switch at any point and I am just waiting for budget availability to replace it with the new Nuclias DBS 2000-52MP switches, so hopefully after July.
Man that blows. Wish I could have helped you out somehow at the time.

Back