HP LP2475w (Possible new IPS)

Thanks for the comments Dark.

I may be missing something here but I really don't see how colour accuracy matters for web design, especially in the case of IE. Then again I only do a very limited amount of freelance web work, so I'm not an expert.

The way I see it is, because of the nature of the web - and the fact that as you say, most people use IE which is not colour aware, that nothing's going to be rendered accurately anyway. You do indeed have to cater for IE users, but nomatter how perfect you make things at your end, with a 100% sRGB monitor and absolutely perfect colour rendering, what the user sees is not going to match anyway. By using IE as a target, any hint of colour accuracy is thrown out the window because at the viewers side, the colours are not going to be accurate. sRGB might be what the users are supposed to see but it's not what they will see. So you can still cater for IE perfectly when designing on a wide gamut monitor - so long as you don't design exclusively for IE (and for the sake of web standards and interoperability, I sure hope you don't).

Long story short, it doesn't matter if your monitor is colour accurate to sRGB or not, because the user's display won't be. Having a wide gamut monitor doesn't stop you designing for sRGB. You can emulate sRGB perfectly fine with a colour managed browser, or by turning down the saturation. But the users can't, so it doesn't really matter how accurate it is at your, so long as it looks approximately OK in sRGB. Designing on an sRGB monitor won't change this (or at least, I can't see any way it will).

I'd measured a half dozen or so monitors at work (uni computing lab) and every one of them had a dE of above 5, none of them had a gamut that properly matched sRGB, and not one had an accurate sRGB gamma curve either (most were close to 2.2 though).

While much of this is just my opinion, feel free to correct any facts that might be wrong. But as I see it, if your audience does not have accurate colour reproduction the best you can ever do is just approximate. And in my opinion, with the correct adjustments, a wide gamut monitor can approximate sRGB perfectly fine.

Now the situation changes if you don't have accurate colour reproduction either (for example due to lack of hardware calibrator) but in this case an sRGB monitor is still not going to be fully accurate, and downloading/copying someone else's profile is probably going to get you closer to sRGB than most typical desktop monitors anyway.

Again this is really my opinion more than anything. I'm not trying to bundle you all into a "doesn't care about colour accuracy" group, but gain, I may be missing something, but I just don't see why a wide gamut monitor would make it unacceptably difficult to design for IE or sRGB. Since the output will never be accurate whatever you do, all you can do is to reasonably approximate what it is likely to be.

qasdfdsaq,

Great review, much appreciated, and probably very helpful to many people who are considering getting this monitor.

I'm just a bit confused as to the firmware / revisions with this monitor. My original panel was manufactured in China with a date of October 2008, firmware GIG 045. It had a noticeable issue with green to pink tinting so I had HP send a field tech to replace it. The replacement panel is also made in China, October 2008, firmware GIG 045. But it is Revision GIG 122 on the rear of the panel.

You mentioned that your monitors were manufactured in the Czech Republic. I'm just curious as to why HP has them manufactured in different places. Perhaps they moved their manufacturing facility.

Now, if your panels were manufactured in November and December, and both of mine were in October, wouldn't it be logical that your firmware should be later than GIG 042 (and revision as well). How can a monitor that was manufactured later than another have an earlier revision version?

Regardless, I think you should try to get a GIG 122 revision (on the rear of the panel, not firmware). As far as I've read, most who have that revision don't have the tinting issue. I received my replacement (GIG 122) and have had no issues thus far after 190 hours of backlight.

Excellent review qasdfdsaq (palindrome).

PC_User: They have different factories for different regions. Dell does the same thing. North America gets their monitors from Mexico, and Europe from Czech Republic as well. There is also a factory in China.

Who knows? It might be the same OEM/factory that makes both brands in the same factories. Just a thought.

It could be something to do with assembly date/location as well as manufacture - I've heard replacements can be refurbs, so it's possible an older piece of hardware was refurbished and sent to me with updated firmware. Could also be different factories update their production to newer revisions at different times.

Just out of interest, how/where/when are you guys with GIG122 revisions getting them from? i.e. what country are you in, where did the screen come from (HP warranty replacement or from a shop?), etc. Could help improve my chances of getting a "fixed" panel if I know where they are coming from :)

Also, HP seems to have an internal advisory about this issue:

TITLE: HP LP2475w 24-inch Widescreen LCD Monitor - Right Side Of Display Has Red Or Pink Tint

DESCRIPTION Monitors listed in the "Scope" may exhibit a pink or red tint on the right-side of the display.

SCOPE Information in this document applies to the following: Monitors: HP LP2475w 24-inch Widescreen LCD Monitor (HP assembly part 463419-001)

RESOLUTION The pink tint can be minmized by adjusting the monitor configuration as follows:
1. Press the Menu button on the monitor front bezel to open the On-screen Display (OSD) main menu
2. Select Custom Color ( )
3. Select the R option
4. Adjust the R value lower to to reduce the red/pink tint
5. Exit the OSD

This might help some people but hasn't resolved it for me - since the tint varies across the screen.

I just purchased this monitor and everything seems to be great except for the fact that if I let the monitor go into Standby mode or if I switch inputs, the DVI connections to my computer is lost and cannot be used again unless the computer is restarted. It seems this concern has something to do with ATI graphic cards, but I am hoping someone can narrow down the solution for me.

I am running Windows XP with a Radeon 9800 128mb graphics card connected via DVI to the HP LP2475w monitor. It is a November 2008 GIG 122 panel, and I purchased it from Sparco.com if anyone is interested(Not the Refurb).

I have already updated to Catalyst 9.1, swapped DVI cables, and restored defaults on the computer and the monitor.

Thanks to everyone here who have already posted alot of helpful information.Any help would be appreciated, I can't keep rebooting my computer everytime I switch inputs!

Brandon

I am in the U.S. and received my Revision GIG 122 monitor as a replacement for the first one which I purchased from Amazon.com.

As far as the tinting, that solution is ridiculous. I tried to lower the red when I had my first panel and it didn't help much.

I just purchased this monitor and everything seems to be great except for the fact that if I let the monitor go into Standby mode or if I switch inputs, the DVI connections to my computer is lost and cannot be used again unless the computer is restarted. It seems this concern has something to do with ATI graphic cards, but I am hoping someone can narrow down the solution for me.

I am running Windows XP with a Radeon 9800 128mb graphics card connected via DVI to the HP LP2475w monitor. It is a November 2008 GIG 122 panel, and I purchased it from Sparco.com if anyone is interested(Not the Refurb).

I have already updated to Catalyst 9.1, swapped DVI cables, and restored defaults on the computer and the monitor.

Thanks to everyone here who have already posted alot of helpful information.Any help would be appreciated, I can't keep rebooting my computer everytime I switch inputs!

Brandon

There are options in the OSD for input control, set your DVI connection as the default, then trun off auto switching and detect.

Didn't help, I disabled all auto switching and auto detect and let the computer turn the display off, after the monitor said "Going to sleep" I moved the mouse and saw the power LED turn green, but then after a few seconds the display was "Going to sleep" again and never responded until I restarted the computer.

So I got a replacement from HP today. It's a rev 122 with firmware 045 from October 08 and made in China.

This one has the tinting issue, except the tinting occurs from the bottom left (green) to the upper right (pink). It's also more prominent the longer the monitor has warmed up. It also has considerable backlight bleed in the upper right quadrant. Very annoying.

The other issues I noticed from the other monitor are present on this one as well, so I guess it's designed that way (top half of panel pushes back from the frame with little pressure, high-frequency hissing, rattling noise when using the menu buttons--or tap lightly on the bottom of the frame to hear this).

I tried using the same ICC profile expecting at least similar results, but man, this monitor is absolutely, completely different in terms of calibration. The other monitor's green gamma curve was just slightly off. On the new one, both red and green are way, way off.

I have to give kudos to HP support though. Called them on Tuesday and the tech was here on Thursday. Plus the tech said he'll give me a follow-up call on Friday. Hopefully he still has the old one he took away.

duncann,

I'm sorry to hear that your new monitor has problems. I have the exact same specs as you (REV GIG122, f/w GIG 045, October 08, China) and have no issues with mine. Just when I thought that Revision GIG 122 solved the tinting problem...

I suggest you call HP and have them continue to replace the panel until you get one with no issues.

I'm thinking about picking this thing up for my pc/xbox 360 (which doesn't have hdmi so I'll be using component or vga). I assume the oversaturation will occur on the xbox as well? Can I use the reference levels setting on the xbox to compensate?

Im on my 2nd LCD replacement.

1st had pink/green gradient and a stuck white pixel.

2nd has no gradient, but another stuck red pixel & has slight buzz sound that only heard when one's ear is against it.

I can live with the sound because I cant hear it ever in normal use and the stuck red pixel is only visible on black backgrounds.

Has anyone tried using component video input?
I use DVI for the computer and component for my DVD mini system.

When Im using the PC on DVI and the DVD mini system is turned on the DVI picture starts a slow soft flash (like a really low refresh rate of an old CRT) If the DVD mini system is off then DVI picture is fine again.

? Why ?

I tested using the S-Video and the problem is not present.

Im living with the S-Video for now but wondered if anyone has experienced a similar issue with Component.

All in all you cant get a cheaper 24" ISP anywhere.

Too bad the new Apple 24" screens only use mini-display port connections - grrr Apple!

I received one of these last week and I'm pretty happy with it. It is a GIG122 build and I bought it from Amazon. Like everyone mentions, the colors are pretty bad out of the box but a tiny bit of fiddling with it (mostly just turning down the red) made it instantly pleasant to look at, even if it still isn't really 100% accurate. My wife is currently using it and I don't want to screw up the color profile since she likes it as-is, so if she gives it back to me (I can dream, right?) then I'll spend more time on the color accuracy.

I think people are worrying too much about the color accuracy... Even amature RGB tweaking using the vid card driver color settings can make it look really nice in a very short amount of time. If you NEED accurate colors, then you need to throw some money at a calibrator just like everyone else, no matter what monitor you buy. But most people will probably be happy just tweaking the driver color settings a bit.

Some good and bad comments... The bad ones are not any worse than any other monitor I've every had, so take them with a grain of salt.

1. The black is a little "lighter" than I'd ideally like. My wife's computer (older laptop) is only capable of pushing 1600x1200 so we have black bars on the side (intentionally). Those black bars are not truly black. Would I notice this if the whole screen was in use? Probably not. In any case, it's no worse than any other LCD I've ever used.
2. The color saturation was way too red initially. It's not a panel defect, just how it goes to by default. Turning down the red made it look a lot nicer.
3. It's big, and the stand elevation is not very easy to use. It only locks in the full-down position and the button to release it is balky. There is no rotation lock either. I have a Dell ultrasharp 19" and it's stand is much better. Still, the stand is "good enough" and certainly better than stands that don't rotate, turn, or elevate at all.
4. The overall appearance is bland (black everything) but nicely professional looking. The bezel is not irritatingly wide.
5. The cable management is useless.
6. The laptop detected the right resolutions and refresh rate without any drivers or .inf updates. I'm afraid of putting in the installation CD because if I bork my wife's computer, she might cut off my ****. So I don't know if the install cd actually has anything useful on it.
7. The monitor comes with a complete set of cables, including a nifty vga to dvi cable that is required for most laptops, because the monitor has no vga input. It has 2 dvi inputs and an hdmi input (and one other one I think), and it came with cables for all of them. Nice.
8. The quick-install poster is completely useless. They dumbed it down with pictures that don't really show anything and included no text at all. Whoever came up with it ought to be fired. I've been a computer geek for over 25 years and I had to open up the actual manual to figure out how to work the monitor stand and mounting interface, because the quick-install poster was completely worthless and actually made me stupider (see?).
9. The anti-glare makes it appear very *slightly* shimmery from more than a couple of feet away, but getting up closer to the screen actually made it smooth out to where I had to look for the anti-glare effect. It's on-par with some of the Dell ultrasharp anti-glare which some people found excessive, but I don't think it detracts from the monitor's usability or pleasant image appearance. Still, if you hate anti-glare treatments then this monitor will probably piss you off since it's noticeable if you look for it.

So I'm on my 4th monitor, 3rd exchange from HP (does this make me a serial monitor exchanger?). This one looks like a winner. rev122, gig045, october 08, china. No dead or stuck pixels, no backlight bleed, relatively silent at all brightnesses. This one actually looks very good right out of the box. Just had to tweak red and green slightly lower relative to blue. The 9300K setting actually looks better than any custom color combination. I'm not even using any color profiles. There might be a very, very slight green/pink tint from lower left to upper right, but I'm going to get used to it I think.

For anyone that might be interested or just likes reading these types of things, here's the reasons I've exchanged each monitor:

First one:
I used it for about month before I decided to try for an exchange. A couple of things worried me. The top third of the panel actually pushed back from the frame with very slight pressure, pushing the buttons sometimes made something inside the monitor rattle, and there was a high frequency hissing sound with an audio characteristic similar to frying bacon. The entire screen had a very greenish hue to it also, which would never quite go away completely no matter what I tried. This one was a rev122, gig045, nov 08, china.

(After testing four of these monitors, they all have the panel push back from the frame and they all rattle when you tap on the frame, or use the buttons)

Second one:
Had the green/pink tinting issue. Interestingly, the tinting didn't show itself until after the monitor was warmed up for 30 or 45 minutes. The tinting went from bottom left to upper right and was quite pronounced. This one also had considerable backlight bleed in the upper right quadrant. It was fairly silent though. rev122, gig045, oct 08, china.

Third one:
Had a dead pixel (I believe it was a full pixel and not just a sub-pixel) about 4 inches from the bottom and about centered horizontally. It had the high frequency frying bacon sound. It had a slight green/pink tinting. When the monitor went into sleep mode, every 15 or so minutes, it would kind of "chirp". Very strange. rev122, gig034, aug 08, china. (the bezel power led function worked on this one, it remembered to stay off under all conditions)

All in all, dealing with HP customer service was very streamlined and efficient. Not much effort was required on my part other than explaining what was wrong. Each monitor arrived the next day after I called them except for the third one, which took 4 days. They said they didn't have any locally.

So I'm on my 4th monitor, 3rd exchange from HP (does this make me a serial monitor exchanger?). This one looks like a winner. rev122, gig045, october 08, china. No dead or stuck pixels, no backlight bleed, relatively silent at all brightnesses. This one actually looks very good right out of the box. Just had to tweak red and green slightly lower relative to blue. The 9300K setting actually looks better than any custom color combination. I'm not even using any color profiles. There might be a very, very slight green/pink tint from lower left to upper right, but I'm going to get used to it I think.

Exactly same as mine (also a replacement) and no problems. I guess that's a lucky batch then with no issues/problems. October 2008, China, Firmware GIG045, REV GIG122.

I've been speaking with some people about this monitor and most are in agreement that this is one of the best options for gaming outside of TN.

I had a hannspree 26.5 in TN last summer for one week. The color shift from the top of the screen to the bottom was just awful. I didn't care if there was no ghosting.

Which brings me to this HP. Watched a youtube video of it next to a CRT and you can barely tell there is input lag. From the reviews on here too it doesn't seem to be that big of an issue. My NEC crt is awesome but I want widescreen :)

Also, anyone had good dealing with refurbs? Would they work with me to send a good batch from described above manuf date, revision etc? Or is it just the luck of the draw? Shipping to and fro is not really what I want to do : /

Thanks.

I personally would not go for a refurbished monitor because the price difference is usually around $100, but with a new monitor you get the original manufacturer's warranty and added peace of mind. With many of these HP's, it has been the luck of the draw but you can have HP replace the panel (under warranty) until you are satisfied. For some (like me) this happened with the first replacement, while for others it takes several replacements. You may get a perfect unit out of the box. As far as revisions, you can't really tell what you're getting unless the retailer specifically gives you a serial number and/or revision information.

I don't think the revision information was even on the box, so the retailer would have to open it to find out.

The revision info/serial number is on a sticker on the box as well as the back of the monitor. The only thing it won't tell you is the firmware version.

I personally would not go for a refurbished monitor because the price difference is usually around $100, but with a new monitor you get the original manufacturer's warranty and added peace of mind. With many of these HP's, it has been the luck of the draw but you can have HP replace the panel (under warranty) until you are satisfied. For some (like me) this happened with the first replacement, while for others it takes several replacements. You may get a perfect unit out of the box. As far as revisions, you can't really tell what you're getting unless the retailer specifically gives you a serial number and/or revision information.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm looking at buying a refurb directly from Dell. Surely they would be able to tell me the revision etc of the product I'm getting? Or am I getting my hopes up? haha Maybe I'll call them and just ask. There is a one year warranty on those panels too I believe.

Thanks.

Weird, I just received my monitor I got off eBay, it was produced in August 2008, Rev: GIG122. I'm guessing it has the old firmware, if it's production date was before everyone's monitors posting on this thread.

Weird, I just received my monitor I got off eBay, it was produced in August 2008, Rev: GIG122. I'm guessing it has the old firmware, if it's production date was before everyone's monitors posting on this thread.

I just exchanged under warranty an aug 08 rev gig122. It had firmware version gig034. I think most of the issues others and myself have reported in this thread are either people being too picky, including me, or HP's/LG's manufacturing facilities have some minor/major quality control issues.

To be honest, I'm not certain how the manufacturing works with these monitors. Revision GIG122 can range from August to December. My first monitor was October 2008 (from Amazon) non REV GIG122 and my replacement is October 2008 Rev GIG122.

To be honest, I'm not certain how the manufacturing works with these monitors. Revision GIG122 can range from August to December. My first monitor was October 2008 (from Amazon) non REV GIG122 and my replacement is October 2008 Rev GIG122.

Aren't some of them made in China and some made in Czech Republic also? That could be a factor - I know mine is China and seems like most of the ones the worked well were also China (but maybe I'm mistaken about the Czech part).

Aren't some of them made in China and some made in Czech Republic also? That could be a factor - I know mine is China and seems like most of the ones the worked well were also China (but maybe I'm mistaken about the Czech part).

Yes, some are made in China and others in the Czech Republic.

I'm having a problem with my new monitor:

1st: I cannot change the resolution to to 1920 x 1200, it puts the monitor to sleep, only to be brought back because Windows changes the resolution back to where it was before.

2nd: I stupidly tried to use HP's monitor assistant, and now it's stuck my computer at 1920x1200, and causes the monitor to not recognize the signal out of my computer.

I'm pretty much stuck now, and I don't know what to do.

Dregur,

Reboot into Safe Mode.

What's your OS and video card? Is the video card driver up-to-date? Is the monitor driver set to HP LP2475W?

Nevermind, I finally got it to work by, all things, switching out the DVI cord. I noticed the pins on the DVI cord I had were more numerous, while the DVI cord I got from HP had a blank spot in the middle of the plug. It was weird, that mine now works by switching to the factory default DVI plug.

Do not use any of the HP software. It only slows down your computer and isn't useful at all.

Exactly same as mine (also a replacement) and no problems. I guess that's a lucky batch then with no issues/problems. October 2008, China, Firmware GIG045, REV GIG122.
I just bought an LP2475w off eBay with both October 2008 manufacture date and the GIG122 Revision. Thank you! Also thank you duncann. I'm really optimistic now.:)

Thank you very much, out of interest can anyone order from PC world business or is it strictly for business customers only?

Wow, they've really gone up in price since I bought mine (was £380 a month ago). Let me know how it goes though - I'm still yet to get one without the tint.

As it seems it may be the Czech ones that are having the problems (I've not seen anyone with a made-in-china with the tint issue?). Please keep the reports coming though. I'll collate them all up at some point over the weekend to see if there's any patterns.

Wow, they've really gone up in price since I bought mine (was £380 a month ago). Let me know how it goes though - I'm still yet to get one without the tint.

As it seems it may be the Czech ones that are having the problems (I've not seen anyone with a made-in-china with the tint issue?). Please keep the reports coming though. I'll collate them all up at some point over the weekend to see if there's any patterns.

I've had at least 3 from China that have the tinting to one degree or another. The tinting I've seen starts at the bottom left corner being greenish (draw a curve from the middle of the left frame to where the quick select button is on the bottom frame and that's how big the green area is). The pink area is somewhat smaller and in the upper right. Of the 3 I know for sure that has the tinting, two aren't too bad but visually noticeable on lighter backgrounds. One of them was really bad. The tinting is also more prevalent the longer the montitor has been turned on.

My first monitor was made in China and had the tinting issue (although it was more faint than experienced by others and not as severe). I didn't really notice the green on the left. What I did notice was the right 1/4 of the monitor had a noticeable pink hue.

Quick question:

I'm looking at this MAINLY for gaming, as well as code work (gee, I need color accuracy there, so I can see that my using statements are blue :p) and browsing. Games would include some "twitch" games like L4D and COD4, as well as stuff like Oblivion and WoW (meaning, slower paced); I currently have a Viewsonic VX2025 20.1" WS monitor (MVA panel I think?) - will this monitor have equal or less input lag?

I don't edit photos, so is this panel worth it over getting a TN panel that costs less but is 26" (say, the VW266)? How is the quality, can I safely buy from Newegg and not worry too much about dead pixels?

Thanks!

Quick question:

I'm looking at this MAINLY for gaming, as well as code work (gee, I need color accuracy there, so I can see that my using statements are blue :p) and browsing. Games would include some "twitch" games like L4D and COD4, as well as stuff like Oblivion and WoW (meaning, slower paced); I currently have a Viewsonic VX2025 20.1" WS monitor (MVA panel I think?) - will this monitor have equal or less input lag?

The LP2475w has quite low input lag (about 25-30ms) relative to other IPS panels and MVA/PVA panels. You shouldn't notice lag gaming on this monitor.

I don't edit photos, so is this panel worth it over getting a TN panel that costs less but is 26" (say, the VW266)? How is the quality, can I safely buy from Newegg and not worry too much about dead pixels? Thanks!

From my point of view, the quality is rather good. Although this may spark wide-gamut vs non-wide-gamut standard sRGB arguments. We have plenty of those on this forum. I would advise AGAINST purchasing monitors from Newegg because they have a strict 8-dead-pixel policy. If you receive a monitor with 7 dead/stuck pixels, you'll have a hard time RMAing it. The monitor can be found for cheaper on many other websites.

Back