HP LP2475w (Possible new IPS)

If you're reasonably happy with the one you have, I would say keep it. Who knows, you might end up getting one that's worse, with the addition of dead/stuck pixels*. I know it's not fun going through the process of finding a monitor that meets your standards. I went through four exchanges when I got my 204T until I was happy. Or maybe I was just exhausted with continually exchanging the damn thing and finally gave up. Looking back on that experience, I could have kept the first one and been just as happy as with the fourth one.

On the other hand, if you've got nothing better to do and if you deal with HP directly, I think the warranty has a 3 year in-house service plan. If what you tell them makes them think you have a defective monitor, they might even cross-ship you a new one at their expense.

HP pixel policy (pdf file):http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/CoreRedirect.jsp?redirectReason=DocIndexPDF&prodSeriesId=3648442&targetPage=http%3A%2F%2Fbizsupport2.austin.hp.com%2Fbc%2Fdocs%2Fsupport%2FSupportManual%2Fc01634493%2Fc01634493.pdf
Bright sub-pixel defects: 0 maximum
Dark sub-pixel defects: 4 maximum
Total sub-pixel defects: 4 maximum
Full pixel defects: 0 allowed

HP Customer Support is horrible!!!

Just spent over 1 hour on the phone, got routed to India several times, went through the notebook department, and they hung up on me twice. In the end, I couldn't even reach technical support.

After talking for over 1 hour with someone from the workstations department, I arranged to have a technician bring a new panel (no base, screen only) the following week. Hopefully the new panel is better than this one.

I've decided that the backlight issue and the red tint issue are too much for me, so I'm trying to get a refund on this. Looks AMAZING compared to my previous TN crap LCD, but it's not perfect enough, for photo editing it is very recommended, but I couldn't balance the red to be reasonable.

I've decided that the backlight issue and the red tint issue are too much for me, so I'm trying to get a refund on this. Looks AMAZING compared to my previous TN crap LCD, but it's not perfect enough, for photo editing it is very recommended, but I couldn't balance the red to be reasonable.

I figured that I probably can't return it for a refund to Amazon.com and the monitor itself is great (if this issue can be resolved) so I'm trying to get it replaced by HP (under warranty) rather than attempt to return it for a refund. I need a monitor and there's no other new panel that offers this kind of performance for this price.

If I could, i would exchange it for the monitor I want to replace the HP, but the store doesn't stock it for a reasonable price... finger's crossed as I've filled out the form as a "refund requested" and they've accepted it.

I'm quite sad, actually, it has all the inputs I need and was highly reviewed by many websites, sometimes the little things lead to being continuously annoyed...

If I could, i would exchange it for the monitor I want to replace the HP, but the store doesn't stock it for a reasonable price... finger's crossed as I've filled out the form as a "refund requested" and they've accepted it.

I'm quite sad, actually, it has all the inputs I need and was highly reviewed by many websites, sometimes the little things lead to being continuously annoyed...

I understand where you are coming from. I'm exchanging my panel for the same in hopes that the problems only plague a certain batch and not all of the LP2475w's.

Does anyone know how to make this monitor enter standby mode after some time?

Right click on the desktop
Choose properties
Select the Screen Saver tab
Click the Power button

Just received mine today. Ordered it from thenerds.net. If anyone lives in So. California, they ship out of the Fontana area. Anyway, thankfully no dead pixels. Also the firmware/REV. # is GIG122 mfg of 11/08 according to the sticker on the back. I haven't seen anything regarding this REV #. The REV. within the menu shows REV. GIG045. Looking forward to installing some .icc files and checking this thing out. I'm a noob when it comes to this, but we'll see. If anyone has any info on the GIG122, please inform me/us.

BTW, is it a necessity to install the software that came with the monitor? I'm planning on calibrating or uploading an .icc file. thanks.

I'm looking to buy this monitor tomorrow (actually today) with a 10% discount code. So I really can't read the whole 70 odd pages of information:(

So could someone be kind enough to give me the 411

What do I have to look for?
I've read few segments regarding the reversion number...?
Does the monitor suffer from any issues (over-shoot, screen blackouts, tints etc...)?

Basically anything that I should know before it's too late.

Thanks

PS: I've already read the review from TFTcentral and I've got the ICC profile and menu settings.

BTW, is it a necessity to install the software that came with the monitor? I'm planning on calibrating or uploading an .icc file. thanks.

No. You should download WinColor to manage/install new ICC profiles.

I received my 2475 a few days ago (from buy.com) and the f/w is REV GIG 045, and the sticker on the back of the case is REV GIG 122 so I'm assuming the latter is the hardware/case rev.

The screen is absolutely beautiful; text is clear (after some ClearType tweaking) and no dead/stuck pixels. I was seeing some red fringe on text with ClearType enabled (Vista) which has been discussed earlier in this thread. I ran Microsoft's online CT tuner and selected the 5th profile which makes the font thinner. Text now looks much better with NO red fringing whatsoever.

Of course colors were oversaturated out of the box. I'm using the .icc profile from TFTCentral and using their contrast/brightness/RGB settings, and loading this color profile with LUT Manager. Color accuracy is much better now and looks comparable to the better CRT's that I've used in the past (just came from a Sony FW900 24" CRT which finally died on me a couple of weeks ago).

I ran some lag tests against a Dell P1110 CRT (21" Trinitron screen). I was surprised at how good the results were. I ran both monitors in clone mode, 1600x1200 resolution @ 60 Hz on both monitors (yes I realize this isn't the native res of the HP). I wanted to test the lag of the HP's interpolation because I play Crysis Warhead in 1680x1050 mode to keep the minimum frame rate smoother. Plus I hear that LCD's are slightly laggier when doing interpolation, so I figure this would show worst case scenario. Using the timer utility at http://tft.vanity.dk I took forty pictures in high speed shutter mode. Many of the pictures showed a 10ms or 20ms difference (more 10's than 20's), with a few 0ms and a few 30ms every once in a while but no 40ms or higher. The average ended up being 13.63ms, which seems too good to be true. Perhaps someone can enlighten me of a better testing method. I did factor in the occasional 0ms results into the average (there were 4), perhaps I shouldn't have done so? Even without the 0ms results calculated into the average, it would have been around 15ms which still sounds too good to be true. I also took a bunch of pics while running the lag test at lagom.nl and it never went worse than 2 frames behind the CRT. I tested using the DVI and HDMI ports on the monitor and the lag was the same.

The first day of using the monitor when viewing a fullscreen white image I noticed the left side was slightly blue and the right side was slightly red/pink. The monitor has now been powered on for 72 hours straight and this slight discoloration is becoming even less apparent, so it appears to be improving with break-in time.

My only real gripe is the monitor sits a little crooked, about 3/8" lower on the right side, due to a problem with the stand. The rotating feature doesn't allow the monitor to rotate counterclockwise quite all the way. I called HP today and they are shipping me a new stand. Surprisingly they are sending it overnight shipping.

All in all, I'm very happy...much more so than I planned. I've always been a CRT guy and never wanted to jump over to LCD territory. When my FW900 died I decided to take the plunge.

HB

October 2008.

Mine is also October 2008 but it's still firmware GIG 045 for some reason. I'm on 53 hours of backlight and I can't really say that the green --> pink tint issue is getting much better.
Hopefully HP will replace my panel sometime soon so I can see some improvement. I also have 1 stuck pixel towards the middle of the screen. All in all a very nice monitor but if this tint issue doesn't go away, I may have no option but to try to return this monitor to get the refurbished NEC LCD2490WUXi.

I got mine 6 weeks ago, and also have a slight tilt to the right, I should call HP, see it they ship me a new stand too...

Mine is also October 2008 but it's still firmware GIG 045 for some reason. I'm on 53 hours of backlight and I can't really say that the green --> pink tint issue is getting much better.
Hopefully HP will replace my panel sometime soon so I can see some improvement. I also have 1 stuck pixel towards the middle of the screen. All in all a very nice monitor but if this tint issue doesn't go away, I may have no option but to try to return this monitor to get the refurbished NEC LCD2490WUXi.

I also have the same issues. Green tint on left half and pink tint on the right half. 1 stuck pixel near middle of screen. I'm going to wait until 100hr mark to see if the tinting goes away before I give HP a call. The 1 stuck pixel is annoying during movies or darker colors.

I also have the same issues. Green tint on left half and pink tint on the right half. 1 stuck pixel near middle of screen. I'm going to wait until 100hr mark to see if the tinting goes away before I give HP a call. The 1 stuck pixel is annoying during movies or darker colors.

I'm now at 54 hours and I haven't really seen an improvement in the issue. Maybe its just my eyes playing a trick on me. I didn't want to wait until later and I found HP's pixel policy which states that 0 bright sub-pixel defects are acceptable for screens over 23" diagonal. I went through the mazes of customer support to have a field tech bring a new monitor.

I'm now at 54 hours and I haven't really seen an improvement in the issue. Maybe its just my eyes playing a trick on me. I didn't want to wait until later and I found HP's pixel policy which states that 0 bright sub-pixel defects are acceptable for screens over 23" diagonal. I went through the mazes of customer support to have a field tech bring a new monitor.

I don't suppose you memorized that maze path? I'd appreciate any advice on how to navigate it.

I've never had any issues with any of my LCD screens before, on my laptops or desktops. So these 2 are major for me. I may call them earlier and try to get another one. The pixel is going to get to me if I don't fix it.

Do you have a direct link to the HP pixel policy? I've seen it mentioned a few times, but haven't found a working link yet.

Just ordered one from Provantage. Does the packaging come with a DVI cable? Can't find the package contents listed anywhere.
Thanks.

Just ordered one from Provantage. Does the packaging come with a DVI cable? Can't find the package contents listed anywhere.
Thanks.

Yes, it's supposed to come with all the cables you need. I haven't personally verified since I'm using old DVI cable, but it did come with lots of cables. Even a DVI to VGA cable.

@PC_User,

I gave you some wrong info earlier, my apologies. The f/w rev on my monitor is indeed the same as yours (GIG 045). I was going off the sticker on the back of the case which reads GIG 122. I have edited my original post.

HB

Well, I just got my panel replaced by HP.

Firmware GIG 045...REV122 on the back. Manufacture date of October 2008. So far its flawless. No dead/stuck pixels as far as the eye can see. The green --> pink hue effect seems to be gone as well. So far, all is good and hopefully it stays that way.

Well, I just got my panel replaced by HP.

Firmware GIG 045...REV122 on the back. Manufacture date of October 2008. So far its flawless. No dead/stuck pixels as far as the eye can see. The green --> pink hue effect seems to be gone as well. So far, all is good and hopefully it stays that way.

Mine is GIG 045, Nov 2008. Did a tech come and give you a monitor or was it shipped alone? Do they let you try out the new one and keep the old one to compare?

Thanks.

Mine came with DVI, VGA-DVI and DisplayPort. It may also have come with an HDMI but I cannot remember and the box is in the attic.

I'm seriously considering getting one of these monitors but the really far out colours put me off a bit. I don't have a calibrator but i'm not after 'perfect' colours either, i just want it to look good. I don't do photo work or anything like that so near enough really is good enough, but this monitor is really far out when you get it so I’ll need to tweak it a bit.

I was intending to copy the values from TFT central (brightness, contrast and R,G,B values) and hope that it would make it look reasonable. Maybe then bring up the LCD test site and do a bit of visual tweaking.

:confused: Reading a bit of this tread i've become a bit confused as people are talking about graphics cards/programs ect. So i would like to know, will what I want to do work and provide reasonable results?

Any help would be appreciated.

Mine is GIG 045, Nov 2008. Did a tech come and give you a monitor or was it shipped alone? Do they let you try out the new one and keep the old one to compare?

The field tech brought a new monitor panel (the monitor itself, not the stand) directly to my house. We connected the new one and I checked it for dead pixels, color issues, etc. When all was well, he packed up the old one and left. Done deal and very convenient.

So there are good copies of these with no color abnormalities?

Apparently. I got lucky and my second one (newer production date and REV GIG122) has no hue effect and no dead/stuck pixels. I guess they had some bad batches or it might just be a game of chance.

looked on the back of mine, manufacture date: December 2008, REV GIG111, Made in Cheq

December 2008...that's quite good. Probably one of the later releases. I wonder if/why REV GIG111 goes after REV122? Where is Cheq?

Just looked in the "Information" area in the menu, and it shows a REV. of GIG045 even though the sticker on the back says REV. GIG122. Oh well... I don't see why a firmware update via the user wouldn't be possible. Would there be any reason why not to?

Back