HP LP2475w (Possible new IPS)

Anyway, sorry for my bull5h1t lecture, but I just wanted to help explain as best as possible, even though I'm probably wrong on a few fronts here (due to fairly incomplete knowledge).

It's OK for this time, but please never do it again.

I guess the 2408WFP is a big power hog for size. Compared to a 2709W which is bigger it uses less at 100 cdm/2 but MORE at 200 cdm/2.
This info is really vital for HP LP2475w.

Gentlemen with difficulty holding their lectures, please be merciful to people interesting in HP LP2475w.
Thank you for your understanding.

albovin, next time, before accusing anyone, you might wanna ask what they do for a living and maybe where their experience comes from, otherwise you might be taken for fool or even a person who has never seen a CRT, or a person who doesn't know what viewing angle dependent CR is. Anyway, cant really bother with you, got a monitor to select until monday.

albovin, next time, before accusing anyone, you might wanna ask what they do for a living and maybe where their experience comes from, otherwise you might be taken for fool or even a person who has never seen a CRT, or a person who doesn't know what viewing angle dependent CR is. Anyway, cant really bother with you, got a monitor to select until monday.

Agreed, that guy is really a piece of work.

Since you said "please" I will consider it. ;)

It is only important until someone has a heat reading from the back of the display at different brightness levels to test temperature above ambient. My personal opinion is that it is not an issue, as it is also my opinion that the white glow/haze is not an issue on a 24" monitor. On a TV it might be.

People still use VA monitors for color sensitive work and they have far more visible "image changing" characteristics including white glow, off-angle color washout, horizontal gamma shifts, blurrier text, dark detail changes, etc...

I happen to be one of those people interested in the HP as well if you didn't notice.

It's OK for this time, but please never do it again.

This info is really vital for HP LP2475w.

Gentlemen with difficulty holding their lectures, please be merciful to people interesting in HP LP2475w.
Thank you for your understanding.

A lot of it depends on how far/close you sit to the screen.

I tend to sit about 2' or 60 cm from the screen so I don't see a large number of angle issues apparent to those who are close..

We know what it looks like at extreme angles, but not how quickly it "creeps" in when we are at slight off angles, and most camera photos are not completely accurate because cameras tend to amplify color shift effects.

I can guarantee that unless you see something listing an A-TW polarizer it won't be included (as you've said is a concern).

But even then the A-TW polarizer can induce a one side green, one side red effect at extreme angles FYI.

I have no doubts that its accurate. You can check all you want though, but the problem is not in the listed panel model; neither the pdf nor the website mentions anything about the A-TW polarizer, which is the only part that concerns me. Until I get to see the photos of the viewing angles I really cant be sure if its go or no go.

10e, I agree. Thats why I stated earlier that it would not have been an issue if it was, lets say, a 19" screen, but with a 24" it matters.

On a side note, having worked on a NEC for a while, I would choose the green/red over the white-glow any day.

OK this monitor is giving me problems. I previously had a NEC 20WGX2 as my primary display and the Dell 2007FPW as secndary. Now the LP2475W is primary.

Twice now I have gone to bed leaving the monitors to do their own thing. I have a screensaver (Starfield) kick in at 10 minutes idle and to power down after 15 minutes idle.

The first night I came back to find the computer frozen and not responding to the keyboard or mouse. A reboot fixed it. The following night it had frozen again but this time the secondary monitor came to life but the primary was still dead and the computer had crashed. After a reset the monitor would not detect anything connected (scanning but not finding the DVI connection). I let it continue to boot and turned the HP on and off and it THEN scanned and found the connection.

Now I have found out there is a problem with power management when a remote desktop session is active and the window is being displayed either fullscreen or windowed (No problem when it's minimized). I use the secondary display for remote desktop sessions and used to be able to leave it open and it would be no bother. Screensaver would kick in on secondary and it would blank. Then primary after 10 minutes then power save after 15 and both monitors would go into power saving mode.

With the HP connected the screensaver kicks in but as soon as the power saver kicks in both monitors come back on. Neither will power save. If I minimize the remote desktop then power save performs as normal.

I think the system crash was caused by the power saver constantly trying to kick in every 15 minutes overnight causing it to interfere with other system processes. I dunno. I am going to test tonight.

For now I have set the remote desktop PC's to auto disconnect terminal sessions after 10 minutes of idle activity. I tested this with a 1 minute timer and it worked in conjunction with the screensaver on the main PC and power saving. I was able to resume the displays after power save fine.

Any theories on why this is a problem with remote desktop with this display?

I would very much doubt that having an RDP session to another computer enabled would cause such problems, are you sure you haven't upgraded your graphics card drivers recently?

I would wager that DPMS is handled by a completely different sub-system and could not be impacted in such a way.

Not changed anything apart from the monitor and the monitor driver. I have found another workaround which is to disable the screensaver on the primary PC and just let it go straight into power saving mode. I tried a different screensaver just to be sure it was not a bug in the Starfield screensaver but same issue. If I do not have any screensaver active on the PC the HP is connected to I can still have a remote desktop session open fullscreen on the secondary display and power saving functions as normal after the timeout period.

Weird. I like my screensaver too! Gonna do some googling and see if I can find anyone else with similar issues.

Please note I am not accusing anyone, I don't care what experience someone has, I see what is posted. My experience has been published. Publish yours, we'll probably take a grain of wisdom from that, why not? When someone says 6x6=37, it does not matter where this experience comes from.
Please don't frighten us with your experience in advance. But we really need really professional people here to help us with really tough questions.
BTW we discuss monitors, not people.

Your experience with the subject will be highly appreciated.

What I am kindly asking about (not you personally) is to stop flooding and let people talk over the subject.
Thank you.

People still use VA monitors for color sensitive work and they have far more visible "image changing" characteristics including white glow, off-angle color washout, horizontal gamma shifts, blurrier text, dark detail changes, etc...

Absolutely. Absolutely. Every word is correct.
But we have talked and it has been written damn 100 times.

I happen to be one of those people interested in the HP as well if you didn't notice.[/

So do I. So I stopped my breath waiting for any meaningful info other than specs and input lag.

OK I believe this is some DirectX related issue. If I set the screensaver to blank it performs as expected. Anything else and it does not enter power saving mode after the timeout but brings both monitors back to life instead.

Also how do I tell if it's a S-IPS panel? It does not give that purple effect like my Dell or previous NEC. It gives a silvery effect instead (But not TN). Could I have a PVA?

EDIT: Someone mentioned earlier on that you could get into the service menu to check the panel code by turning off the display whilst holding down the menu button. This does not work for me.

EDIT: Nevermind I found it.

LPL LM240WU4
FW Version GIG 031 S-L0614

But S-IPS and H-IPS both have white glow at an angle. PVA, S-PVA don't :X your only changing one evil for another. But despite that it would seem that IPS now have better input lag compared to PVA at this point in time, which is why i am leaning toward IPS atm.

However if the S-IPS or H-IPS both used an AT TW polarizer that would be sweet.

Deadmen and many others have accessed services menu and clearly said it has the LPL LM240WU4.

So i don't see how that is spreading false information. If the monitor says its that then it must be wouldn't it.

Who would you believe ? The monitor, or someone who claims people spreading false info about this without any proof to state what other panel it could be.

After calibration with ColorEyes I get an average dE of 0.39 and a maximum dE of 0.69. The system profile overview says the black level is 0.196 cd/m^2 (brightness is set at 18/100), not sure if that is a measured value?

Sorry, I have missed your post.
Thank you for your measurements.

Taking all posts together we have a preliminary "review" that gives us quite a good idea of this monitor. It looks like 90% of the work is done.
Please, correct me if necessary:
We have a mid-level 24" (H-?)IPS monitor.
The good.
Color accuracy is OK for the native mode.
Very good black level.
No overscan/distortion problem since it has 2 DVI inputs. (HDMI and Component could be tested just in case)
Input lag is quite low.
Things to be reviewed.
Brightness regulation range.
Check for unexpected bugs.
The bad.
Wide color gamut. (We are general users. Readers, please no "wide gamut for professionals" trash here).

Unfortunately it lacks so desirable "polarizer".
It could have added much value to this product.
And that miserable wide gamut - lifetime headache...

Has anyone extensively tested the "sRGB" mode this LCD is supposedly capable of?
Depending on how it works, it could offset the fact that it initially ships with a wide gamut..

Question though, what's the use of 2 DVI inputs, and what's the difference between DVI-D and DVI-I?
My video card has 2 DVI outputs but I wasn't aware you could use both of them at the same time, on the same monitor.. Perhaps more googling is in order.

I not only expressed, but also put a link to the site that was spreading the false information. I never accused a person of quoting the wrong panel number. Read up!

So i don't see how that is spreading false information. If the monitor says its that then it must be wouldn't it.

Who would you believe ? The monitor, or someone who claims people spreading false info about this without any proof to state what other panel it could be.

Some people need to stop acting as they have shares in HP. The reality of the matter stands: Is this panel going to cut it for semi-professional graphics work. Thats what its designed for and that how HP is marketing it. Stop acting like this is a TN panel gamers display.

Contradictory information seems to be polluting the net about this display, one of which that the display model is LPL LM240WU4

I was refering to here.

Like i said Deadman said thats what his monitor says, so i am pretty sure that should be correct.

The only misinformation online is the specs that does not match the panel as stated in the monitor ;)

Hope that clears it up for you. I am not questioning you that online there were some contradictory stats posted, my point was that the panel is as they said online since people who have the monitor checked it out on their screen.

It beats TN picture quality and it has a fast enough latency so i heard. So i don't see why it cannot also be used for gaming and watching videos. Thats what i am going to buy the monitor for anyway ;) The Dell 2408 input lag was too terrible ....

The reality of the matter stands: Is this panel going to cut it for semi-professional graphics work.

Of course it will, the lack of an A-TW polarizer, whilst disappointing, does not preclude it from that - it just means that at very acute angles you get a white glow (which I would take over the *VA black crush effect any day).

Let's remember than many profressionals use Apple Cinema Displays for graphics work, and these also lack an A-TW polarizer.

I'd really like to know what people think about the built in sRGB mode and installable profile though, is it any good?

After calibration with ColorEyes I get an average dE of 0.39 and a maximum dE of 0.69. The system profile overview says the black level is 0.196 cd/m^2 (brightness is set at 18/100), not sure if that is a measured value? I have included screen shots below.

Do you get a lot of buzzing from the screen with brightness at 18/100 ?

I hear 0 buzzing and that is with my ear right against it on either top sides or front.

As for use by professionals. Well I don't see it myself. The colours are oversaturated and I don't think any amount of correction will help unless you are using a video card that has the option to change the saturation levels (My Nvidia doesn't). But I don't know much about pro stuff so that's just my personal opinion.

Perhaps others can enlighten me?

Took some photos. Could not get a decent photo of the surface so these will have to do. It's in sRGB mode at 18 brightness (I think the first 2 were at 54 though).

IMG_4156.jpg

IMG_4157.jpg

IMG_4172.jpg

IMG_4175.jpg

IMG_4176.jpg

IMG_4177.jpg

I hear 0 buzzing and that is with my ear right against it on either top sides or front.

As for use by professionals. Well I don't see it myself. The colours are oversaturated and I don't think any amount of correction will help unless you are using a video card that has the option to change the saturation levels (My Nvidia doesn't). But I don't know much about pro stuff so that's just my personal opinion.

Perhaps others can enlighten me?

First of all nVidia cards do have a saturation control, it's in the nVidia control panel; however, more importantly, professionals use what is called a Colorimeter - a small device that sits on top of the screen and measures the colours in tandem with a software program, putting in place a colour profile that modifies your graphics card LUT (or on the higher model of this monitor via a built-in LUT in the monitor itself).

Finally, have you tried sRGB mode and installing the supplied profile? That should tame the colours down siginificantly as it will constrain the gamut on the panel itself rather than relying solely on graphics card adjustments (which should therefore produce better colour fidelity, doubly so if properly calibrated).

I don't think anyone (and remember, this is just my opinion) should be buying a wide-gamut display if they aren't also prepared to shell out the small amount (and yes, you can get a calibration device that is "good enough for most people" for under £100) to get it calibrated properly; it'll just lead to disappointment.

edit: Wow, thanks for posting the pictures, that thing looks great from an angle - and the colours don't look too saturated on sRGB mode - I think that's made my mind up for me :) Looks like for people without a calibration device sRGB may be "good enough".

I am using both the ICM and ICC supplied on the CD (Not an sRGB ICC) with sRGB mode on the monitor and the colours are still saturated. Are there any freeware programs that can adjust the LUTS? There is no option to change the saturation on my Nvidia 7600GT with 169 drivers (175 breaks TV out so not going anywhere near those). I can adjust the gamma but not the colour saturation of the desktop. There is only digital vibrance and that is at 0. I need something that pulls it into the minuses. Anyone in London want to loan me a colour calibrator? :)

NVIDIA cards don't have a saturation control, and calibrating with a colorimeter won't reduce the saturation. Only color-managed programs can handle color space conversions. The situation isn't any better in Mac OS X either.

It's already been mentioned that sRGB mode doesn't reduce the saturation, and pictures can't show how the saturation is really like. As far as I can tell from the information in this thread, this monitor is not adequate for sRGB or Rec. 709 (HDTV).

NVIDIA cards don't have a saturation control, and calibrating with a colorimeter won't reduce the saturation. Only color-managed programs can handle color space conversions. The situation isn't any better in Mac OS X either.

It's already been mentioned that sRGB mode doesn't reduce the saturation, and pictures can't show how the saturation is really like. As far as I can tell from the information in this thread, this monitor is not adequate for sRGB or Rec. 709 (HDTV).

This is what I figured. I'm not that dense. :) Oh well looks like I will just have to get used to it. The red push is annoying me the most.

Would replacing with an ATI card solve the problem?

Do you get a lot of buzzing from the screen with brightness at 18/100 ?
From 70cm away my monitor is silent as far as I can tell. And I have built my computer to be near silent, including undervolting the fans. With my ear on top of the screen there is an electronic tinging sound, pretty quiet though.

I borrowed a friends cheapish energy meter today, so given time and energy later tonight I will measure the energy consumption.

I had an issue right out of the box that I did not mention because I figured it was something local with my environment. I connected my DVI cable to the DVI-2 input since it was closer to the computer and the supplied 2m cable was pretty short for me. With this input I was unable to set the resolution to 1920x1200. Setting 1920x1200 I got a black screen. The highest I got to was 1680x1050 if I remember correctly. I reinstalled ATI drivers to the latest which got me in troubles since it set resolution to 1920x1200 when rebooting the computer, so I was not able to enter Windows. As a last resort I figured I should try the first DVI input, DVI-1. With this input Windows started with the higher resolution right away. I have not bothered to check the second DVI input again as I have no use for it.

I tried a VGA cable on input 2 and the saturation option was still greyed out. I wonder when it DOES become ungreyed and available. S-Video in??? :p

Actually, switching to sRGB mode does seem to reduce saturation a little... Anyways I do think with proper calibration it should be adequate for sRGB, check out this file from the shop I got mine from: http://www.tftshop.net/media/products/0633352001219209459.rar

deadman3000, thx for posting the pictures, it gives us an idea about what we should expect.

The first two pictures tell me that there seems to be a problem with backlighting, uneven spread, especially the second one looks like there is clouding near the two corners. Hopefully I am not seeing it correct and those are just from the camera, but I doubt it.

I am using both the ICM and ICC supplied on the CD (Not an sRGB ICC) with sRGB mode on the monitor and the colours are still saturated. Are there any freeware programs that can adjust the LUTS? There is no option to change the saturation on my Nvidia 7600GT with 169 drivers (175 breaks TV out so not going anywhere near those). I can adjust the gamma but not the colour saturation of the desktop. There is only digital vibrance and that is at 0. I need something that pulls it into the minuses. Anyone in London want to loan me a colour calibrator? :)

You are in London!!??
My best advice: return this monitor IMMEDIATELY, get rid of it.
Get Hazro HZ24Wi which is available in England (note: glossy screen. IMO the further Plus. Also a touch of a bit more input lag).

deadman3000 said:
Would replacing with an ATI card solve the problem?
Not that I know of.

l0calh05t said:
Anyways I do think with proper calibration it should be adequate for sRGB, check out this file from the shop I got mine from: http://www.tftshop.net/media/products/0633352001219209459.rar
Based on what? That doesn't tell me anything about sRGB.

h3ndrix said:
The first two pictures tell me that there seems to be a problem with backlighting, uneven spread, especially the second one looks like there is clouding near the two corners.
That's not a backlighting problem. That's the white glow. That's exactly how it appears on every IPS panel I've seen without the A-TW polarizer.

albovin said:
You are in London!!??
My best advice: return this monitor IMMEDIATELY, get rid of it.
Get Hazro HZ24Wi which is available in England (note: glossy screen. IMO the further Plus. Also a touch of a bit more input lag).
Edit: Actually, I'm not sure about the polarizer on the Hazro, so I'll leave out my recommendation for now.

Returning it would be a problem right now. I have to go away for a couple of weeks from today. I can't recall the exact number of days you can return an item under long distance selling laws in the UK. But anyhow it's extra cost and inconvenience. I am happy with this monitor apart from the oversaturation issue which I am sure I will get used to and the Remote Desktop screensaver problem can be worked around. If I had known the wide gamut would cause oversaturation I would have gone for the Hazro as it was either this or that (Why do they sell it as a plus point?). The polarizer is not a big issue for me either. It's only me looking dead on at the screen.

EDIT: I'll be curious to see/hear what the results are of others calibrating this monitor. Still no reviews up. Behardware should get it in and review it.

BTW thanks for that custom profile and the included settings. OK it will not be perfect for every screen as each screen is slightly different but based on those settings it looks much nicer to the eye. Colours are still saturated but it's shades seem more consistent.

Dear Deadman3000

I see you also have the Dell 2408wfp(?) beside you.

Which of these two are you most happy with, general use? Color saturarion on the dell is also very strong. I had the 2408wfp, but returned it, though it was ok. Orderd the HP 2475, since HP makes this amazing Dreamworks monitor, I thought this would be good also..

So how are those two vs each other?

THANKS!!

Looking forward to the watt consumption test you will do. Does the HP monitor heat up more than the Dell, feel any difference??

Kris

The HP is definitely warmer than the Dell. Especially in the middle. As to which I prefer. Well I prefer the HP for it's size obviously and the fact it is less 'sparkly' than the Dell's coating. If I had to choose one over the other for colour though. Based purely on saturation levels I would say I prefer the Dell. But there does not appear to be an sRGB mode on the Dell? The custom profile and settings provided above have definitely calmed things a little. Especially when the profile is loaded into Firefox 3. Reds are still loud but slightly calmer.

Does anyone know how to use the colour management in Adobe Lightroom? I cannot find anywhere to load it. It does not appear as an option in the Print colour management options.

EDIT: Hmm it doesn't seem to use them except for printing and only use the printer profiles (BTW anyone know which printer profile I should be using for a Canon MP520?).

I can see why pro's have so much trouble setting these things up. Profiling is a nightmare. Not for the feint of heart.

Back