HP LP2475w (Possible new IPS)

When I set the PC resolution to either 1920x1080 or 1280x720, the text becomes a garbled mess, and the colours saturate.

Does this happen for anyone else?

This occurs regardless of which "Aspect" mode you use. Reducing the sharpness to "1" helps with the text, but it's far from pixel perfect.

I'm on F/W GIG052, for future reference. This effect comes into play with all inputs, and makes 1080p games (via PS3/HDMI or 360/VGA) look blurrier than they should.

You're right, using 1920x1080 does make things blurry. It seems like it shouldn't with Fill to Aspect ratio or 1:1. Try changing the sharpness in the Image Control menu which becomes available with non-native resolutions. Strangely the softest setting of 1 looks best, still not as good as native resolution but better than the default of 4.

On further inspection, I'd say it's a deliberate design choice for the two main HD resolutions, perhaps akin to the post-processing effects you find on HDTV's.

It certainly makes 720p signals look much more vibrant and sharp (especially compared to my BenQ FP241W). It gives the entire image more "pop", and emboldens edges. Unfortunately, this doesn't flatter the native 1080p resolutions at all; in this case, it should be pixel-mapped for clarity.

In other words: I wish I could turn it off. Is there an ultra-secret service menu with all the parameters for sharpness, backlight level, black depth etc...?

Last edited:
Just got it a few days back from Amazon. Happy with the monitor but when compared to my S-IPS Dell 2005FPW, here is one observation: When I look at the HP at an angle from the top, the screen looks much dimmer when I stand up from my chair (not as bad as TN monitors). Surprisingly my old Dell looks more brighter at the same angle. Head on, the colors on the HP are brighter/sharper (calibrated using TFTcentral's settings). Should I be bothered about this? This is my second IPS monitor and I am wondering whether this is normal, which would mean that my old Dell 2005FPW is awesome. Both are LG IPS panels.

I will do more tests in the next few days (30 day return policy from Amazon). Can folks tell me what tests should I run?

BTW, I have the GIG068 firmware version.

Thx!

Last edited:
That's the difference between H-IPS and S-IPS. The H stands for horizontal. I don't see why it would be a problem unless you like standing over your monitor while using it.

How do you guys keep dust off of the screen? I wipe mine with a microfiber cloth but it seems to get dusty after just a few days.

That's the difference between H-IPS and S-IPS. The H stands for horizontal. I don't see why it would be a problem unless you like standing over your monitor while using it.

What is the exact difference. Just curious. When I get up from my chair, I get annoyed by the sudden change in contrast/brightness. Makes me feel that I bought an overpriced TN monitor with better colors :)

What is the exact difference. Just curious. When I get up from my chair, I get annoyed by the sudden change in contrast/brightness. Makes me feel that I bought an overpriced TN monitor with better colors :)

For consistent contrast from all angles, you would need the A-TW polarizer built-in as is the case with the NEC 2490.

Everything you want to know about panel technology and more...

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/panel_technologies.htm

...the horizontal structure of some electrodes changes the pixel alignment somewhat which may contribute to how the coating difuses the light emitted from the panel in a more verticle direction instead of diagonal like S-IPS.

The 2005fpw also has a much stronger AG coating which may effect how light is difused in contrast to the lighter 2475w coating which is very light (almost semigloss on mine).

Last edited:
Everything you want to know about panel technology and more...

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/panel_technologies.htm

...the horizontal structure of some electrodes changes the pixel alignment somewhat which may contribute to how the coating difuses the light emitted from the panel in a more verticle direction instead of diagonal like S-IPS.

The 2005fpw also has a much stronger AG coating which may effect how light is difused in contrast to the lighter 2475w coating which is very light (almost semigloss on mine).

I did read that review several times before buying it :) But I didnt see any comment about contrast changes only in 1 direction. If I look along other directions at an angle, I dont see much contrast changes. That makes me think whether I got a slightly defective panel. If the electrodes are horizontal, would that explain the contrast changes from teh top but no contrast changes when looked from bottom?

Agree with your comment on the AG filter, I dont feel that I have a AG screen :)

The 2005FPW is amazing. Wouldnt have bought another monitor if it had HDCP and 1920x1080! Seems like a reference monitor.

For consistent contrast from all angles, you would need the A-TW polarizer built-in as is the case with the NEC 2490.

Then I am happy with the HP as I dont want to spend 1K on a monitor till I can click photos good enough to masquerade as a pro!

I did read that review several times before buying it :) But I didnt see any comment about contrast changes only in 1 direction. If I look along other directions at an angle, I dont see much contrast changes. That makes me think whether I got a slightly defective panel. If the electrodes are horizontal, would that explain the contrast changes from teh top but no contrast changes when looked from bottom?

Agree with your comment on the AG filter, I dont feel that I have a AG screen :)

The 2005FPW is amazing. Wouldnt have bought another monitor if it had HDCP and 1920x1080! Seems like a reference monitor.

The link is not to a review, it's a page with the technical descriptions of different panel technology.

Sorry Vick I meant to say I read that and the reviews from that site and prad.de!

But, I cant correlate the issues that I see and this article.

Just go to the Nvidia panel (or right click>Personalize>Display Settings). There'll be a slider, with 1920x1080 on the resolution list. Once switched, the text does not render properly, and the colours should darken.

The loss of clarity makes the 1080p support useless. Even 720p signals upscaled by the monitor look sharper. I tried playing Tekken 5: DR and Wipeout HD (which both render natively at 1080p), and it all looks far too blurry when compared to my BenQ FP241W equivalent scaling setting.

Last edited:
1080 isn't on the slider. :confused:

See this thread for a shot of what it does when I set 1920x1080 as a custom res.

It's there on my slider, next step down from native (GTX260 w/180.48). What are you using to scale the image, the monitor or video card?

Hey guys,

Have been reading this forum for a while now, this site has been great and I appreciate it.

I just bought this monitor a few weeks ago and have a question about the glow. This link shows exactly what my monitor is doing and I wanted to make sure that it isn't defective before my 90 days are up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hOKgn_3iWs. Is this the normal white glow you guys have been talking about? It seems a little excessive but it's not bad as long as it isn't a dark background or scene in a movie.

Other than that this monitor has been nice, no backlight bleed, no dead pixels and the colors are pretty nice. I haven't calibrated it yet but soon will.

Thanks guys.

The monitor - set to 1:1.

The only way I can gert it on my slider is to make a custom resolution profile of tick the 'Force High Definition Resolutions' box in the Custom Resolutions window.

Then when I try to use it, the picture is squished as pictured in the above link.

The same thing happens to the picture when I try to raise the refresh rate for the native res to, say, 72Hz.

Try setting your monitor to 72Hz and see what happens.

I'm using the nVidia scaler, set to aspect, and 1920*1200@72hz looks the same as 60hz on mine. What driver version are you using? I'm on 180.48 with my GTX260.

Hey guys,

Have been reading this forum for a while now, this site has been great and I appreciate it.

I just bought this monitor a few weeks ago and have a question about the glow. This link shows exactly what my monitor is doing and I wanted to make sure that it isn't defective before my 90 days are up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hOKgn_3iWs. Is this the normal white glow you guys have been talking about? It seems a little excessive but it's not bad as long as it isn't a dark background or scene in a movie.

Other than that this monitor has been nice, no backlight bleed, no dead pixels and the colors are pretty nice. I haven't calibrated it yet but soon will.

Thanks guys.

Yeah, that's the glow. But it's looks pretty exaggerated in that video. Is your brightness set really high? I think that exasperates the problem, I have brightness set to 15 and it's not as pronounced on my unit.

I have my brightness set at 45. I'll adjust it this evening and see if that helps. The glow I have on mine is as bad as what's in the video.

Just got it a few days back from Amazon. Happy with the monitor but when compared to my S-IPS Dell 2005FPW, here is one observation: When I look at the HP at an angle from the top, the screen looks much dimmer when I stand up from my chair (not as bad as TN monitors). Surprisingly my old Dell looks more brighter at the same angle. Head on, the colors on the HP are brighter/sharper (calibrated using TFTcentral's settings). Should I be bothered about this? This is my second IPS monitor and I am wondering whether this is normal, which would mean that my old Dell 2005FPW is awesome. Both are LG IPS panels.

I will do more tests in the next few days (30 day return policy from Amazon). Can folks tell me what tests should I run?

BTW, I have the GIG068 firmware version.

Thx!

Hi, anyone have any thoughts? Maybe I should run some specific tests to ensure that the panel is ok?

Well, you should probably calibrate it, or at least use the TFT Central settings...

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm

...then you can check various aspects here...

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

...and check for defective pixels and panel uniformity with this...

http://udpix.free.fr/

Vick, I had tried the 1st 2 links before and I tried the third link just now. Thanks! Here is my subjective conclusion:
* The colors are sort of uniform, no dead pixels.
* However, the thing I mentioned is true: when I see the screen at an angle, there is loss of contrast/brightness when compared the the Dell 2005FPW at the 'same' angle. Hence my post.

I just dont know whats normal as I dont have a reference monitor (like the NEC 2490Uxi or something).

Hi, anyone have any thoughts? Maybe I should run some specific tests to ensure that the panel is ok?

Have you calibrated it? The out-of-box colors and settings on this monitor are not good (to say it lightly). This panel does need to be calibrated. If you have a hardware colorimeter or wish to invest in one, that would probably be the best approach. If you don't, then use the settings and ICC profile from TFTCentral, as was already suggested.

Have you calibrated it? The out-of-box colors and settings on this monitor are not good (to say it lightly). This panel does need to be calibrated. If you have a hardware colorimeter or wish to invest in one, that would probably be the best approach. If you don't, then use the settings and ICC profile from TFTCentral, as was already suggested.

I am using the settings from tftcentral site/review. The issue is about decrease in brightness etc when seen at an angle from the top. Side views are better. Colors are fine.

So after searching and searching for a replacement for my dying FW900, I end up back at this monitor. I was hoping for some kind of LED monitor to be released that isn't a TN (cough, Dell), but I haven't seen anything that has the inputs I need (HDMI and DVI) and 1:1 aspect scaling in 24".

Tp those of you who bought this monitor recently, does it still have the color shift defect? Something about green to pink shift from left to right (or any kind of color shift) on a white or similar color background? Any other major defects that I should know about? I've read most of the thread, and know all about the wide gamut issues. Any major backlight bleed show up after a few months of use, those who bought it awhile ago?

Thanks for any answers you guys might have.

So after searching and searching for a replacement for my dying FW900, I end up back at this monitor. I was hoping for some kind of LED monitor to be released that isn't a TN (cough, Dell), but I haven't seen anything that has the inputs I need (HDMI and DVI) and 1:1 aspect scaling in 24".

Tp those of you who bought this monitor recently, does it still have the color shift defect? Something about green to pink shift from left to right (or any kind of color shift) on a white or similar color background? Any other major defects that I should know about? I've read most of the thread, and know all about the wide gamut issues. Any major backlight bleed show up after a few months of use, those who bought it awhile ago?

Thanks for any answers you guys might have.

I have had mine since Feb. no backlight bleed then or now. As far as defects, just make sure you get one from a place that has a good return/ exchange policy. Unless you feel like dealing with HP support until you get a good one. I got a good one first try from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/LP2475W-24in-...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1243126705&sr=8-1

They have it for $555 right now with free shipping. You could probably sign up for a trial Prime account and get $4 next day delivery like I did, then just cancel the account.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hey guys,

Posted a while back and have been following off and on. My wife and I have been enjoying our HP for almost 6 months now. It will be hard going back to a TN in the future.

My question is, how do I assign a profile to my Epson Printer that matches my monitor's TFTCentral profile? Please steer my to the right forum if need be.

Thx, Tom

I'm now using the older 181.22 drivers (I don't think 180.48 supports my card), but still little success. It still squashes the image when I try a 72Hz refresh rate. I don't see a squashed 1080p anymore, but the GTX is always the one doing the 1.1 mapping, and the GTX does a pretty flaky job (sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't).

EDIT:

OK, I've finally got it displaying a 1920x1080 signal with the monitor doing the 1:1 mapping (the monitor OSD reports '1920x1080 60Hz', instead of '1080p' as before... Why is that?), however it looks like shit. Fine text is all blotchy, looking like it does when I'm using a non native resolution WITHOUT 1:1 pixel mapping (fill to screen/aspect) - but of course I'm not, I'm using 1:1, so it should look just as good as 1920x1200, but with letterboxing.

Is that the issue you guys were talking about earlier (sorry about the wierd camera line effects - just focus on the text, see how blotchy it looks? eg the 'L' of "Less")?

I'm curious. Did you perhaps upgrade to a GTX285 from something else? You may have remnants from some other driver on your system. If so, try uninstalling your video drivers completely and using Driver Sweeper to clean for any old video drivers you may have had (ATi and/or nVidia).

I just noticed you are on XP x64 in your sig, I'm on Vista x64 so there is probably a difference there.

No, I reformatted just days ago and no hardware has been changed since then. In fact, the only change I made since then is uninstalling the latest GPU drivers and installing the 181.22 version today, and I thoroughly cleaned out all traces of those first drivers before installing the new ones.

I think this is an issue with the monitor. Look at this quote from one just a page or so ago:

That sounds exactly like what is happening to me now - I've tried reducing the sharpness control, and at the lowest setting things look pretty good, but not perfect.

The squashed image issue at 1920x1080 was driver related it seems - the older driver resolved that (although it still squashes it if I try to increase the refresh rate).

Ugh, I don't want to see that. Just when I was thinking of buying it too.

I need 1080p for the PS3.

The native resolution on my HP LP2475w is being reported at 1920 x 1200 with 60 Hz resolution. I use this to avoid the scaling issues that you're listing above. I also have ClearType disabled on it and set it to 9300K color temperature to get rid of the color oversaturation issues due to the wide color gamut backlight lamps.

Why are you trying to use 1920 x 1080 in the first place if that isn't the panel's pixel resolution in the first place?

HP LP2475w LCD 24-inch Monitor (H-IPS) at 1920 x 1200 x 60 Hz - nVidia Control Panel - Change Flat Panel Scaling

3561037217_8dc963586e_b.jpg

HP LP2475w LCD 24-inch Monitor (H-IPS) at 1920 x 1200 x 60 Hz - nVidia Control Panel - Change Resolution - Cropped

3561063251_31b40533d2_b.jpg

Last edited:
That really isn't the point though.

1920x1080 is only 120 pixels less vertically than 1920x1200. If you set it to 1:1 it should fit perfectly horizontally and not have to scale the image at all. It'll just be 120 pixels short vertically, and the monitor should then just center the image.

Other monitors have no issue doing it without casuing image distortions. There's no reason for it not to work on this one.

OK, mine does 1080p just fine with it's own scaler set to 1:1, and looks perfect....

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/9825/s5000452.jpg

...that was free hand so it's a little blury, it crops the top and bottom just as it should...

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/4161/s5000453.jpg

...as you can see the bottom is cropped just as it should be (task bar set to auto hide). It must be you drivers or the firmware, mine is revision 122 fw is G045. I suspect it's probably nVidia and thier lack of XP x64 support.

Skrakuk - It is indeed exactly the same as those pictures. :(

Reducing the sharpness setting to 1 still isn't good enough, given the clarity I get from the native 1920x1200 resolution.

I have a GIG111 build with GIG052 F/W. I'm using Vista Home Premium X64 with an Nvidia 9800GTX.

Last edited:
Yes, yours does look perfect. Is sharpness still at default (4)?

GIG 133 and GIG 052 Firmware here, so mine should NOT have any problems that yours doesn't have. :mad:

I'll have to try messing with the NVIDIA drivers some more. Do you have any drivers for the actual monitor installed? I don't have any installed right now, as they cause corruption in 3D apps, but 1080p was still retarded even when they were installed...

I'd like to hear from cataferal and/or Madman0 - could you guys let me know if the issue I pictured above is the same one you were discussing before, and if so, what OS were you using?

Yes, sharpness was at 4. The drivers from HPs site are installed, version 1.0.0.0 4/18/2008. I'm on Vista x64 BTW.

Hi guys!

I'm wondering, what do you think about the LP2475w vs. the Eizo HD2441W?

I currently have the Eizo (S-PVA panel) and I like it in many ways (colors feels good), but I do find there's a slight kind of blurriness over everything, especially text. Since the LP2475w is supposed to have a similar panel as the Apple Cinema Displays (S-IPS, which panels I like very much) I'm thinking I might like the HP more.

I also wonder why successor to HD2441W (HD2442W) is so expensive when it still seems to have the S-PVA panel like before... What advantages are the to the Eizo brand except the 5 year warranty? (I'm especially thinking about the HD2441W that I have compared to the LP2475w discussed in this thread)

Any ideas or thoughts on this? :)

Eizo is just an established name in the industry, so they can always over charge.

VA panels drive me nuts, so it's no contest to me.

Back