HP LP2475w (Possible new IPS)

Eizo is just an established name in the industry, so they can always over charge.

VA panels drive me nuts, so it's no contest to me.

Thanks for your input!
So VA panels drive you nuts even if it's an S-PVA? :)

I'm seriously considering ordering the LP2475w now. It hurts my eyes to read the text as I type this... :(

Edit:
Just ordered it. I really hope it has H-IPS now. It says S-IPS all over... :|

Last edited:
Thanks for your input!
So VA panels drive you nuts even if it's an S-PVA? :)

I'm seriously considering ordering the LP2475w now. It hurts my eyes to read the text as I type this... :(

Edit:
Just ordered it. I really hope it has H-IPS now. It says S-IPS all over... :|

VA is VA, whether you put a S or P or M in front of it, they still shift gamma horizontally. On a wide screen format, horizontal shift means unusable in my opinion.

Confirmed H-IPS for this monitor...

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hp_lp2475w.htm

Quick Question;

I am in the market for a new monitor... I just replaced a dual setup (Acer X191W - I know, SHITTY) and added a desktop to my arsenal So, I purchased a new Samsung 244T from craigslist ($225) and have absolutely fallen in love with PVA panels. After extensive reading, this monitor is mediocre to the newer monitors out. After all my reading, I've narrowed my purchased down to the LP2475W for the new desktop (going away from dual 24's). I found one for $360 labeled as New "Remarketed" (or refurbished whatever you wanna call it).

My question - according to what I've found "Remarketed/Refurb's" only carry a one year warranty. I've read most of these threads where HP has replaced faulty (pink hue) monitors... Were any of these replacements purchased from someone other than HP ? and were they Refurbs ? I wanna make sure by buying a Refurb I'm covered just as a normal HP bought monitor...

Also, how would one go about verifying the warranty date - Is there a place I can enter the serial number to verify the warranty is still valid ?

EDIT: I found HP's warranty look up - Here

Last edited:
Hello,

My first post and thanks for the valuable info regardind the LP2475w. I just wanted to give props to HP for the way they handled replacing my faulty monitor.
My original unit had the pink/green cast and some dead pixels. HP sent me what are clearly re-furbed replacements (2) that were even worse than my original.
The original purchase being less than 30 days ago I insisted that I be sent a brand new replacement. I received several phone calls from HP and they approved the new unit.
Much to surprise a brand new unit Feb '09 GIG133 just arrived via UPS Overnight. I havn't opened it yet but I must say that HP really deserves credit for thier outstanding service on my behalf !

Hurry up, what are you waiting for...Christmas?

How much extra did you have to pay to get a good one? Nothing right? HP paid for shipping on everything correct?

I've attempted to search this thread but this is really a question I'd just like to hear a straight answer on this. Is there a hardcore PC/console gamer who uses one of these primarily, particularly for third and first-person shooters, that could offer their subjective view of its performance both in terms of ghosting and input lag?

I want to pull the trigger on this monitor but the somewhat vagueness on the hardcore gaming subject has stopped me thus far. (when I say hardcore gaming, I'm not speaking about professional gaming where a missed frame will cost you $$, I'm talking about avid gamers who just want their games to all look nice and run smoothly)

I've attempted to search this thread but this is really a question I'd just like to hear a straight answer on this. Is there a hardcore PC/console gamer who uses one of these primarily, particularly for third and first-person shooters, that could offer their subjective view of its performance both in terms of ghosting and input lag?

I wouldn't call myself a [H]ardcore gamer, but I do frequently play lots of first/third person shooters (i.e. TF2, COD4, Crysis, etc). Have no noticed any issues with ghosting or lag.

VA is VA, whether you put a S or P or M in front of it, they still shift gamma horizontally. On a wide screen format, horizontal shift means unusable in my opinion.

Confirmed H-IPS for this monitor...

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hp_lp2475w.htm

Sorry, but on second though I'm not sure I know what gamma shift means. Could you please explain so I can compare the two monitors side by side (will get the LP2475W on Monday).

Thanks!

I see others have succeeded running the monitor in 1920x1200 in 72 Hz in this thread.
Since 60 Hz is the recommended setting, does it take more "damage" with 72 Hz ? (or with 85 Hz? for that matter).

My problem is that with Windows 7 (and my Nvidia GTX260 with latest drivers), I can't get it to display more than 59 Hz.

Has anyone managed to run it with higher Hz in Windows 7?

Thanks.

Does anyone see the brightness and contrast of the monitor decrease as they look at the screen from the top at an angle. For example, if one gets up from the chair while looking at the monitor, do they see a change in brightness? I would really appreciate if someone can confirm this.

I am very happy with the monitor except this issue. The colors are more vibrant than my old Dell 2005FPW which has a LG S-IPS panel but the Dell doesnt exhibit this decrease in contrast/brightness as I get up from my chair. Both displays are kept on the same table, side by side, at my eye level.

Does anyone see the brightness and contrast of the monitor decrease as they look at the screen from the top at an angle. For example, if one gets up from the chair while looking at the monitor, do they see a change in brightness? I would really appreciate if someone can confirm this.

I am very happy with the monitor except this issue. The colors are more vibrant than my old Dell 2005FPW which has a LG S-IPS panel but the Dell doesnt exhibit this decrease in contrast/brightness as I get up from my chair. Both displays are kept on the same table, side by side, at my eye level.

To test this further, I actually did a simple experiment with my DSLR. I did manual exposure when I looked at the monitor at an angle of 0. At an angle my SLR complained of an underexposure of -1.5ev. For the Dell, the underexposure was -0.5ev.

Avid gamer here.

Crysis/Warhead, Far Cry, CoD4/CoD5, Max Payne 2, Tomb Raider Underworld, UT2003/UT2004/Unreal 2, Unreal/UT, Dark Messiah, Age of Mythology and Age of Empires III are what I've tested so far on this monitor, which I bought for my performance gaming machine.

I don't know what you're using right now, but if it's a CRT, you'll probably be very disappointed by this monitor - It definitely has nothing on my CRT's aside from size and energy efficiency. But I guess it's OK as far as LCD's go.

Ghosting/response is definitely one of the least offensive of it's flaws. I have seen better in LCD's, but only at the cost of colour/viewing angles (TN). Of course it looked terribly blurry compared to my CRT's, but I got used to it fairly quickly. In FPS games it's a lot like the motion blur effect present in UT3 (and to a lesser extent, Crysis), only far milder. And as I said before in this thread, this 'motion blur' effect, ironically, helps to smooth out the choppiness caused by the LCD's inferior refresh rate (to some extent). So no, I really don't find this monitor's response time to be much of an issue in First Person, or fast Third Person shooters. In fact, I found it most noticeable in the RTS titles I tested.

I never notice the input lag while gaming.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks for the informative response. I'm coming from a 3-4 year old TN panel for PC gaming and a much older style projection HDTV for console gaming. Basically, I just want to know if I'm going to regret buying this monitor as an avid gamer. Subjectively, do you find the "blurriness" mentioned in relation to your CRTs to be as apparent compared to any LCDs you've owned and gamed on? Also, do you game on it with any consoles and if so, how's that? Thanks.

I want to pull the trigger on this monitor but the somewhat vagueness on the hardcore gaming subject has stopped me thus far. (when I say hardcore gaming, I'm not speaking about professional gaming where a missed frame will cost you $$, I'm talking about avid gamers who just want their games to all look nice and run smoothly)

You won't be disappointed with it for games. I primarily use mine for games of all sorts, and it is faster than my 20WMGX2 was, in all aspects.

Sorry, but on second though I'm not sure I know what gamma shift means. Could you please explain so I can compare the two monitors side by side (will get the LP2475W on Monday).

Thanks!

If you view a VA panel from a horizontal angle, it is as if the gamma had been raised and more detail can be seen in dark areas of the image. Specifically, the black crush does not occur off axis, so the difference between the darker colors is more evident.

The problem is, on a widescreen if you sit at normal viewing distances for a monitor, the outer portions of the screen have this effect since you are in effect viewing them off axis. This has the effect of making it appear as though there is a shadow in front of your face in the center of the screen. It's especially noticable on a grey background, or a image that spans the display hoizontally such as a tree line in a landscape. It's also very anoying in movies with dark scenes.

If you view a VA panel from a horizontal angle, it is as if the gamma had been raised and more detail can be seen in dark areas of the image. Specifically, the black crush does not occur off axis, so the difference between the darker colors is more evident.

The problem is, on a widescreen if you sit at normal viewing distances for a monitor, the outer portions of the screen have this effect since you are in effect viewing them off axis. This has the effect of making it appear as though there is a shadow in front of your face in the center of the screen. It's especially noticable on a grey background, or a image that spans the display hoizontally such as a tree line in a landscape. It's also very anoying in movies with dark scenes.

Wow, that's crazy!
I just tried this on my display (I have a desktop picture with a rock in the shadow covering the left side) and moving my head horizontally from the middle and the out to the left side of the display I can really see a difference in the details of the rock, just like you said.

Will be interesting to compare this to the LP2475W tomorrow.

I've had a couple of TN LCD's in the past, and I certainly don't remember them being any less blurry than this one. I recently had the opportunity to game on a G24, which I found to be less blurry, but only by a very fine margin. I would certainly choose this monitors 8bit colours, better viewing angles etc. over the G24's slightly better response.

The only console I have at the moment is my Xbox, and this monitor has major issues with displaying Component signals, so I can't help you much there.

Yeah, I was considering the G2400WD but just can't find it anywhere. You mention issues with component signals, I haven't heard about this - could you please explain (or anyone else)?

Hy guys.
I intend to buy this monitor ,HP 2475 w ,but somehow i'm affraid,because i heard some rumours about the red color oversaturation. Is that really bad?
My brother purchased Samsung T240 HD,but i don't like it.
The white color is bluish,i don't know how to explain.
If i go for HP 2475 w ,can i setup the colors ( specially red) to make them better?
From the graphic card menu,either from the monitor menu.
I checked in google for some pictures with a really good quality,but i couldn't find any.
I wanna please some owners of this monitor,to make some screenshoots / pictures from different websites,with a good quality( not movies / games). I just wanna see how is the red oversaturated color looks like.
Thanks in advance.

Hy guys.
I intend to buy this monitor ,HP 2475 w ,but somehow i'm affraid,because i heard some rumours about the red color oversaturation. Is that really bad?
My brother purchased Samsung T240 HD,but i don't like it.
The white color is bluish,i don't know how to explain.
If i go for HP 2475 w ,can i setup the colors ( specially red) to make them better?
From the graphic card menu,either from the monitor menu.
I checked in google for some pictures with a really good quality,but i couldn't find any.
I wanna please some owners of this monitor,to make some screenshoots / pictures from different websites,with a good quality( not movies / games). I just wanna see how is the red oversaturated color looks like.
Thanks in advance.

Screenshots won't help you there, because your monitor you view them on is going to be the determining factor in what they look like.

The reds and greens will be oversaturated on this monitor, in non-color aware applications such as the native windows environment and internet explorer. After the monitor is calibrated, or in my case the TFT Central settings are used, the saturation is toned down somewhat. I now don't really notice it anymore, in fact other monitors appear washed out and under saturated. Others have said using 9300K color space reduces the saturation, how ever I cannot confirm this, and it would make the whites blue.

I know you can't use nVidia's control panel to reduce saturation, but it may be possible with ATi's CCC.

Can this monitor run with more than 60 Hz in 1920x1200, if yes, do I then need something else than a DVI connection? (I heard it only supports up to 60 Hz).

Thanks.

P.S. I asked HP support, but they seem to ignore my question.

Wow, that's crazy!
I just tried this on my display (I have a desktop picture with a rock in the shadow covering the left side) and moving my head horizontally from the middle and the out to the left side of the display I can really see a difference in the details of the rock, just like you said.

Will be interesting to compare this to the LP2475W tomorrow.

I have the two screens here with me now (Eizo HD2441 and HP LP2475W), and wile I agree there's a difference between the two when it comes to the gamma shift (much better on the HP) I think there are some advantages for the Eizo – colors are more natural (over-saturated on the HP like some have mentioned) and also I find the Eizo being less sensitive when viewing from an angle (despite the horizontal gamma shift) this is especially true vetically, if one stand up and look down at the display The HP's display get ”washed out” quickly when one start to ”move out” from it and look at it from an angle. But, since one mostly sit straight in front of the display one cam argue the HP is the better choice.

Last but not least I find the Eizo looks *a lot* better than the HP. I don't like the sharp white text for the button on the front (stands out too much) and the light diode on the front is too bright (when the screen is on). The HP also feels much more cheap in its construction (but it's also a bit less expensive than the Eizo although I bought it during a campaign i.e. good price).

Anyway, I'd really like to know if one can do something about the colors on the HP.
I've used the profiles here http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm for both displays and the colors still feel more natural on the Eizo.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
I have the two screens here with me now (Eizo HD2441 and HP LP2475W), and wile I agree there's a difference between the two when it comes to the gamma shift (much better on the HP) I think there are some advantages for the Eizo – colors are more natural (over-saturated on the HP like some have mentioned) and also I find the Eizo being less sensitive when viewing from angle (despite the horizontal gamma shift) this is especially true vetically, if one stand up and look look down at the display The HP's display get ”washed out” quickly when one start to ”move out” from it and look at it from an angle. But, since one mostly sit straight in front of the display one cam argue the HP is the better choice.

Last but not least I find the Eizo looks *a lot* better than the HP. I don't like the sharp white text for the button on the front (stands out too much) and the light diode on the front is too bright (when the screen is on). The HP also feels much more cheap in it's construction (but it's also a bit less expensive than the Eizo although I bought it during a campaign i.e. good price).

Anyway, I'd really like to know if one can do something about the colors on the HP.
I've used the profiles here http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm for both displays and the colors still feel more natural on the Eizo.

Any ideas?

I think using the profiles wont solve the gamut issue. The only way to solve it is to use color managed apps. I use firefox and photoshop elements to view pics and they seem very natural on my Vista box. I think Win7 is color managed but I havent crosschecked.

I think using the profiles wont solve the gamut issue. The only way to solve it is to use color managed apps. I use firefox and photoshop elements to view pics and they seem very natural on my Vista box. I think Win7 is color managed but I havent crosschecked.

Thanks, I guess you're right.
I'm on Mac OS X (mostly) and I'd say it looks fine in the OS. I mostly noticed the oversaturation when playing a few games. Will try some more things this evening, but I think that I might return the HPLP2475W, since I don't feel it's that much better than the Eizo (despite the gamma shift on the Eizo).

Okay guys. I decided. I go for HP 2475w. There is no point to "wait" for LG W2420P.
With Samsung T240HD i had some problems under Linux. The monitor is blinking every 3-40 seconds.
I don't know why,but after i installed the driver it was the same.(EDID ?) There is DVI-D sot,on the monitor.
I want to ask you,about the DVI-I ,on HP 2475w : what is that mean DVI-Integrated ? Digital and analog signal? I have no idea which application / software /OS /program use digital and analog signal at the same time. You think i'll have the same problem under Linux ? I need my Linux ( Opensuse 11.1) as the second OS.
Is there a difference between Samsung T240HD and HP 2475w on H / V refresh rate ??
Thanks.

Hi all,

Those who bought this monitor in the UK & have f/w GIG 068 or better... when is the manufactured date on it? And is it rev. GIG 111? I'm hoping if there's a after January 2009 date that they have GIG 068 on them!

TIA

Tigerdirect is offering 15% Bing.com cashback (search for tigerdirect, make sure to have adblock off/disabled) and has the LP2475W priced at $599.99 - $90 Bing cashback + $1.99 shipping = $511.98 shipped.

eBay has it for $515 - $41.20 (8% Bing cashback) = $473.80 shipped. BO is available instead of the $515 but I don't believe Bing cashback works with BO.

eBay has a refurb. for $438 - $35.04 (8% Bing cashback) = $402.96 shipped from a reputable seller.

Just thought I'd try to help anyone trying to buy one of these right now.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
so not fair you damn americans have it a lot cheaper!!!!! :p

Only to rub it in your face more... I paid $360 for mine :) It was a refurb.

I'd like to comment on anyone who hasn't read the glory stories in the last 116 pages, but KUDOS to HP's Business support. I purchased my LP2475 refurbed from ebay and had the pink/green hue. Called their business support and within 14 min I was having a new one delivered to me in "2 days". Less than 24hrs later, I got a knock on my front door while I'm in the shower and its a technician with a new replacement monitor. This new one came with GIG068 and no pink/green hue.

I must admit good job on HP's part.

Only to rub it in your face more... I paid $360 for mine :) It was a refurb.

I'd like to comment on anyone who hasn't read the glory stories in the last 116 pages, but KUDOS to HP's Business support. I purchased my LP2475 refurbed from ebay and had the pink/green hue. Called their business support and within 14 min I was having a new one delivered to me in "2 days". Less than 24hrs later, I got a knock on my front door while I'm in the shower and its a technician with a new replacement monitor. This new one came with GIG068 and no pink/green hue.

I must admit good job on HP's part.

True, the support isn't that bad. But the fact that we have to buy these monitors in order to have them replaced (with no guarantee that the replacement will be any better) is a bit unsettling.

I'm a bit unsettled by the terse comment about this monitor being "stupid" to buy if only for gaming but that aside I'm still thinking about going through with it and getting a refurb. from eBay. Here's my question though: If I get a refurb. and need to RMA it to HP and they send me a new/refurb. back - what is the warranty period then? Does it renew to another year from when I receive the new(er) monitor (since refurbs. themselves only carry a 1 year)?

Can someone who owns this monitor say how bothersome the wide gamut is?

That depends on person. Some hate it, some are not bothered by it and some like its vibrancy and I admit it makes some things look "fantastic" and its quite nice effect. Over saturation is clear in strong colors in games aswell, particularly red stands out. If you are ATI user, you can reduce saturation slightly, about 10-15%, making the extreme colors less strong without really affecting other colors too much.

Anybody here with a UK GIG 068 firmware (or newer) ? When was it manufactured please & what's the revision number for the monitor... much appreciated.

In a word - yes :)

I don't understand. Can you explain to me,please?
Who is gonna buy this monitor ? Only the professionals ? For internet browsing / movies /games ,is a good monitor ?
I 'll use it about 40 % web browsing ,40 % games , 20 % movies.(approx)
Some users recomend to wait until July,the new LG :
http://lcd24-7.info/Monitor/LG/Flatron-W2420P/Default.aspx
It's very hard to say which one will be better for what i need it.
I don't do professional stuff like photo / video editing.

I don't understand. Can you explain to me,please?
Who is gonna buy this monitor ? Only the professionals ? For internet browsing / movies /games ,is a good monitor ?

Ignore his comment. Who wants this monitor? Anyone who is seriously bothered by TN panel faults like horrid vertical gamma shift, but still want a 24" LCD monitor that is fast enough for games and has decent contrast ratio and black depth. LP2475w was a best choice for money for some time (though quality control is bit dodgy), but it seems like it has some competition nowadays like NEC 24WMGX3 (*VA panel and standard gamut. Yay! But surprisingly mediocre black depth and contrast considering that those should especially be *VA panels good points but still it is only on par with LP2475w, in measurements anyway), and possibly upcoming LG IPS monitors but the jury is still out on those.

I did notice it on two 22" TN widescreens I have owned, and it bothered the bejeezus out of me on both ones. Larger the screen, more it shows the weak vertical viewing angle. Its mostly noticeable in games where it is dark (and I play a lot of dark games). Ceiling details or stars in the sky fade out as they travel towards the top side of the screen.

Back