HP LP2475w (Possible new IPS)

That's the one I am seriously thinking about buying too. I also don't understand why such an important tool is so expensive. Although, I think my statement just answered my own question. :p

Well I gave up on using the ICC profile and settings listed over at TFT Central and bought an X-rite Eye-One Display2 monitor calibrator.

The X-rite just showed up on Friday night and I’m just getting around to trying it.

Please let me know if it works for you.

I'm almost 100% happy with my replacement display. The only problem I've found so far: gradient banding. I gotta assume it's related to my current calibration. I have it set to TFT numbers, using their ICC profile. When I switch between several LP2475w profiles I've found online (using LUT Manager), there are drastic changes to the banding (though no single profile eliminates it). Any suggestions, beyond getting my own $200 calibration tool?

I bought the i1d2 and I'm not able to eliminate the banding.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1129994

Others have reported not banding, strange

I bought the i1d2 and I'm not able to eliminate the banding.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1129994

Others have reported not banding, strange

The TFT profile is the best, when loaded via Lut Manager (I'm not sure loading it though Vista x64 Color Management is doing anything, to be honest). The banding is present, but it's very minor. Other profiles (the sRGB TFT profile, for instance) result in unacceptable levels of banding.

Yeah. I've seen dozens of reports claiming "absolutely no banding". Not sure what we're doing differently/wrong ...? I'll keep an eye on your AVS thread, Salva. Thanks.

Yesterday I received my 4th (!!!) 2475w for exchange. Sadly it was not satisfactory. It had very obvious pink hue on the right side of the screen and green on the left. In fact, it was the worst of the four monitors that I've seen.

Monitor #1: Made in China, Aug 2008, GIG 111, F/W Rev GIG 034
Problem: Pink hue.

Monitor #2: Made in China, Nov 2008, GIG 122, F/W Rev GIG 045
Problem: Less pink hue, green shadow while scrolling (see video below).

Monitor #3: Made in China, July 2008, GIG 111, F/W Rev ???
Problem: Flashing like a strobe light, rejected.

Monitor #4: Made in China, Nov 2008, GIG 122, F/W Rev GIG 045
Problem: Pink hue on right side of screen, rejected.

--------------------------------------------------------

I am currently using Monitor #2. It has the least pink hue -- probably because I put the Spyder3 puck at the right side of the screen during calibration. But this screen has a green shadow problem that demonstrate by this video. Be sure to watch the better "HD" version:

Video: Green Scrolling

The test image (ColorShift.gif) is the one I posted last week. In the video, I displayed another full color test image in the background window, to show that the green shadow isn't caused by the camera AWB. As I scroll the test image up and down, one can see the image becomes green. The camera doesn't capture the full effect though due to resolution and video compression. It is more noticeable in person.

This green shadow effect might be related to the pink / green hue issue. During the brief 10 minutes I had with Monitor #4 (the one with the worst pink hue), I ran this test and saw more significant green shadow.

That's some bad luck. I'm also in SoCal and fortunately, my second replacement (October 2008, China, REV GIG122, F/W 045) was fine with no hue issues. That's the main reason why I returned it.

For people with banding issues, please post links to the pics exhibiting banding so we can confirm or deny the presence on our monitors.

He wants an actual pic of our banding to compare to a gradient test pattern, to confirm if his display exhibits the same or a similar level of banding.

I'll post a pic when I get home.

I just got my 2475 today and have been checking it out now for about 2 hours and can not find anything wrong so I am loving it! No dead pixels, text looks great and colors are great. I played Far Cry 2 for about 15 minutes and it looks great also. This is a keeper!!

Sticker shows Made in China GIG122.
Screen information shows F/W version: GIG045

This has been a long journey since Feb09 to replace a fading HP f2304.

I first got a Samsung 2433BW http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=410802&pCatg=5902 but this monitor would sometimes get very blurry and fussy.

Then I got a BenQ G2400WD http://shop.benq.us/benq-us/product.aspx?sku=3844862&culture=en-US and it had 3 stuck green pixels and the white bakground had a blue haze tint that I could not adjust out. BenQ support was very rude also!

Then I got a Visio 32 HDTV 1080P http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10778775 and the text on this screen was very hard to read and I had turn down the brightness to 10 to save my eyes.

I will be getting a second HP LP2475w very soon!

Last edited:
I just got my 2475 today and have been checking it out now for about 2 hours and can not find anything wrong so I am loving it! No dead pixels, text looks great and colors are great. I played Far Cry 2 for about 15 minutes and it looks great also. This is a keeper!!

Sticker shows Made in China GIG122.
Screen information shows F/W version: GIG045

Another lucky consumer! What's the manufacture date?

Someone should compile a spreadsheet with all the owners of the LP2475w based on which firmwares, manufacture dates, revisions, and locations are problematic and which are not.

Another lucky consumer! What's the manufacture date?

Someone should compile a spreadsheet with all the owners of the LP2475w based on which firmwares, manufacture dates, revisions, and locations are problematic and which are not.

December 2008

No pics yet. My camera is top of the line phail technology.

Turns out I haven't quite licked my text reproduction problems. But, some good news:

I'm beginning to think the issue stems in large part from the fetid ambient lighting in my current work environment. I think between that and the HP's specific anti-glare coating, the combination has a most foul impact on my eyes.

I've discovered that I'm most comfortable using the monitor in semi-darkness, as the sun is setting outside (instead of shining through my puke green drapes). In the middle of the day, with the 60 watt bulb just overhead and behind (setting the anti-glare coat a tingle) and the natural sunlight cascading in vomit-like splendor off to my right, I find the text takes on a strange glow and becomes quite hard on the old peepers.

Right now, though, at almost 9pm, with just a hint of dusk-light remaining outside and the artificial light removed altogether, I'm quite comfortable - and this is after two 8-hour days jamming with InDesign.

Interesting.

Right now, though, at almost 9pm, with just a hint of dusk-light remaining outside and the artificial light removed altogether, I'm quite comfortable - and this is after two 8-hour days jamming with InDesign.

Interesting.

I think you found your solution. Only use the monitor at dusk. ;)

EDIT: Hmm. The more I use the display at work (on XP w/ VGA-->DVI cable), the more I see and feel the strain on my eyes. I guess it just needed time to warm up and reach full ocular rape potential. :( Disregard the optimistic and pleasantly surprised post to follow ...

UPDATE:

With my RMA period steadily ticking away, I decided to get proactive. I packed up the display, brought it to work and hooked it to my craptacular XP office rig, using a VGA to DVI cable.

Result? Absolutely no text problems. I realize I said the same when I first hooked up the replacement to my Vista 64 rig using DVI ... and yeah, the replacement is definitely better in this regard ... but nothing like this. The change is dramatic, text is crystal clear, not a hint of blur or "swim".

So now I'm left with a puzzle.

Is it XP? Is Vista 64-bit causing the problem at him?
Is it the DVI (I've used two different DVI cables, so I doubt it's a cable issue)? VGA seems fine.
Is it the ambient lighting here? I somehow doubt it, very similar conditions.
Is it the video card? The card at work is crud on board video, at home a BFG 285. :rolleyes:

Ugh!:(

Last edited:
I'm running out of explanations. I'm down to two causes: the anti-glare coat and something I'm personally susceptible to. I believe it's a combination of the two. I've run across several reports online of people having issues with the text on the LP2475w, and they all have something in common: They're in the VAST minority. Seems like 99.9% of users have zero issues with text on this display. Most report it to be excellent.

To be honest, I'm extremely disappointed. I really love this monitor.

The thing is, I think I'm adapting to it. With the first unit, my eyes nearly bled. No exaggeration, they were blood red and weeping. Now, with the replacement, the text issue is still there, but I can put in full 8 hour days and feel only mild to moderate discomfort by quitting time (dealing with occasional mild discomfort during the day, depending on what I'm working on or reading). Of course, compared to my 22" TN panel, that's nothing to write home about. I could sit in front of that thing for 48 hours and not break a sweat.

Will it get better? Worse? Will it have a long term negative effect on my eyesight if I decide to stick with it?

I have no idea. I honestly wish I had a few more weeks to figure it out. I might call HP tomorrow and try to cut a deal with them, see if they'll grant me a couple extra weeks to determine whether the issue is something I can live with. Or, I submit an RMA. Really a shame. In every other respect, it's the ideal 24" display.

I'm running out of explanations. I'm down to two causes: the anti-glare coat and something I'm personally susceptible to. I believe it's a combination of the two. I've run across several reports online of people having issues with the text on the LP2475w, and they all have something in common: They're in the VAST minority. Seems like 99.9% of users have zero issues with text on this display. Most report it to be excellent.

To be honest, I'm extremely disappointed. I really love this monitor.

The thing is, I think I'm adapting to it. With the first unit, my eyes nearly bled. No exaggeration, they were blood red and weeping. Now, with the replacement, the text issue is still there, but I can put in full 8 hour days and feel only mild to moderate discomfort by quitting time (dealing with occasional mild discomfort during the day, depending on what I'm working on or reading). Of course, compared to my 22" TN panel, that's nothing to write home about. I could sit in front of that thing for 48 hours and not break a sweat.

Will it get better? Worse? Will it have a long term negative effect on my eyesight if I decide to stick with it?

I have no idea. I honestly wish I had a few more weeks to figure it out. I might call HP tomorrow and try to cut a deal with them, see if they'll grant me a couple extra weeks to determine whether the issue is something I can live with. Or, I submit an RMA. Really a shame. In every other respect, it's the ideal 24" display.

I'm following your story closely, since I had the exact same experience with mine (also on Vista 64 with a GTX 285, BTW). When you look closely at the text, can you see a red line along the left side of vertical lines? I could on mine, it was very obvious, and I think it was what was causing my problems. My NEC doesn't have a line like that (nor does any other monitor I've checked since, both at home and at work), and many of the close-up pictures I have seen of the HPs also didn't have that line. I'm curious what was causing it. Somewhere earlier in this thread someone posted a link to a page the has white lines on a black background (some kind of convergence test page) - that page really showed off the problem I was having with mine.

I think the anti-glare coating had something to do with my problems, but there was another component as well, either susceptibility on my part to something in the make-up of the monitor (the H-IPS possibly, although the NEC is also H-IPS I believe), or some defect in the one I had - which was one of the "good" ones, GIG122 REV045 from China, with no tinting issues.

Deeky, how good is your eyesight? I have similar problems as you do with somewhat blurry text that can be difficult to focus on and I think my eyes might be the problem. I never seemed to have these problems with my old LG TN so not too sure about that. However my problems don't seem to be nearly as bad as yours seem to be. Maybe you need better lighting?

Deeky, and others,

Perhaps your vision is too good. Here is a close-up photo of my LP2475w. If my eye-sight is much better, then I might be seeing the colors all around the edges of each letter. Is that what you see? Of course, I don't see them. The colors blend into the whites.

Have you try increasing Brightness to over 90%? Most LCDs (including this one) achieve lower brightness by turning the backlight off for a very short time. Perhaps your eyes are detecting this?

CloseUp_Small.jpg

SampleTextXP.png

Yikes2000, not sure about Deeky's, but on my HP the left side of all the vertical lines in the text would have a distinctive row of red on it - yours has none. That is interesting. Wish I had taken a picture before I returned mine. Your's looks fine from the picture - Deeky, can you take a similar picture of yours and compare?

I think the text issue may have more to do with how the H-IPS technology works. I personally didn't see fuzzy text in the strictest sense, but since the whole image seemed to have a very screened look, I assume due to the rigid structure of H-IPS pixels, I think it makes the screen hard to look at. I noticed some text and really any vector(computer drawn) lines appeared very pixelated. You just couldn't get any kind of smooth curves on it.

An article about all the panel types: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/panel_technologies.htm

All the way at the bottom you can see how the H-IPS panels have a very squared off structure to them, which makes me think that's the cause of the screen door effect.

I don't get it: why is the OSD menu-item "image control" grayed out??
Some days ago I was able to change some settings in the submenu of "image-control" (like 1:1 pixel mapping) but now I cannot select the item "image control" anymore. It's grayed out. But why????
I did not change anything in my hardware setup. My LP2475w is hooked up via DVI. Win XP pro. Geforce 7600 GS Graphics adapter. 1920 x 1200 resolution.

I asked HP about this. They are helpfull, but don't seem to understand my problem. They tell me to select the "image control" in the OSD menu. LOL, my question was why I CAN'T.
Some advice from you guys would be appreciated! Anybody with the same problem: image control grayed out??

Last edited:
Deeky, and others,

Perhaps your vision is too good .... Perhaps your eyes are detecting this?

This exact thought has occurred to me. My vision is actually very acute. At my last optometrist visit, I was told I have eyesight in the top 95th percentile. I'm not entirely sure what that equates to in terms of 20/20, etc.

Yikes, what would putting the brightness over 90 accomplish? Would it better highlight flaws?

@Forceman, I can't seem to get the macro function on my camera to work worth a damn when trying to photograph my screen. However, I can assure you there is no "red row" - though I absolutely understand what you are referring to. Even if I press my snout right up against the display, the text is quite clean, a very nice single pixel width line (when not bolded). This further reinforces my thought that it could be the anti-glare coat, or as HeroicNate has stated, maybe something to do with H-IPS technology.

... I'm starting to think I simply cannot achieve a low enough brightness with the OCD alone. I read somewhere that at brightness 0, the LP2475w is still above 100cd. Maybe that's simply too bright for my sensitive wuss eyes, I dunno? I'm toying with further offsetting the brightness with Nvidia CP.

Maybe that's simply too bright for my sensitive wuss eyes, I dunno? I'm toying with further offsetting the brightness with Nvidia CP.

Did you try taking down the contrast too? By taking down the brightness and the contrast the screen got fairly dark for me.

Did you try taking down the contrast too? By taking down the brightness and the contrast the screen got fairly dark for me.

Heh. We're on the same page. Futzing with Nvidia CP really screws with the curve. Plus, LUT Manager doesn't seem to play well with it. So I'm abandoning that approach.

I originally had the display set to TFT settings, brightness 17 and contrast 62. I've since cranked brightness to rock bottom zero. At first I adjusted contrast upwards to offset the "dirty white", but I'm now heading back in the other direction. I'm now sitting at brightness 0 and contrast 55. I'll give it a few hours and see how my eyes adjust.

I don't get it: why is the OSD menu-item "image control" grayed out??
Some days ago I was able to change some settings in the submenu of "image-control" (like 1:1 pixel mapping) but now I cannot select the item "image control" anymore. It's grayed out. But why????
I did not change anything in my hardware setup. My LP2475w is hooked up via DVI. Win XP pro. Geforce 7600 GS Graphics adapter. 1920 x 1200 resolution.

I asked HP about this. They are helpfull, but don't seem to understand my problem. They tell me to select the "image control" in the OSD menu. LOL, my question was why I CAN'T.
Some advice from you guys would be appreciated! Anybody with the same problem: image control grayed out??

It only shows up when not at native resolution, and as long as you graphics drivers are not scaling to native. It works on DVI as well as Analog.

Yikes, what would putting the brightness over 90 accomplish? Would it better highlight flaws?

The 2475w achieves lower brightness (less than 90) by pulsating the backlight, dimming it for a fraction of a second. Since your eye sight is good, perhaps you're also detecting this pulsation. Here is a video that demonstrates: (the video camera is far more sensitive than most human eyes)

Pulsation Video

The 2475w achieves lower brightness (less than 90) by pulsating the backlight, dimming it for a fraction of a second. Since your eye sight is good, perhaps you're also detecting this pulsation. Here is a video that demonstrates: (the video camera is far more sensitive than most human eyes)

Pulsation Video

Hmm. Interesting. I wonder, how best to offset the severe whites that will result from brightness 91 ... ?

That spec sheet is listing the cables included instead of the actual inputs on the monitor. The lp2475w does infact have component input. And AFAIK it is confirmed to be an H-IPS panel, not S-IPS.

It only shows up when not at native resolution, and as long as you graphics drivers are not scaling to native. It works on DVI as well as Analog.

YES! That's it. Tested in non-native resolution and got the menu-item selectable again.
Puzzle solved. Thanks for your help.

I'm currently at brightness 0 and contrast 53. I'm using the TFT ICC profile (the first one, not the user-submitted one labeled as "sRGB") loaded through LUT Manager. Loading the profile through Color Management in Vista 64 was showing inconsistent results. I'm not entirely sure it was making any difference (at least not to my eye), but I lack the calibration hardware to measure and confirm. I've removed Nvidia CP from the equation completely, as I did in the very beginning.

I've allowed the unit to warm up for 20 minutes, and I'll begin work shortly with InDesign. Typing this message, I feel that the text is causing less eyestrain ... but I'm in an odd situation, having been subject to the rigors of eye strain for the better part of a week, I have no way of knowing if the discomfort I may eventually feel is a result of the current calibration or simply several days of strain catching up with me. The RMA runs out on Monday.

I turned the brightness up to 91. It obviously hurt to look at, being so bright. I felt that MAYBE there was less swimming, but again, my eyes are in rough shape right now, in no way ideal for gauging long term comfort levels. I need to take a day or two away from the screen and come back with a fresh set of peepers, but time is ticking ...

Back