HP L2335 23" 16ms... sweet

You guys sure comp usa sells these. I'll probally buy from dave, but wanted to drive up and look at the pic quality up close. I went to compusa.com and all they have listed is the f2304 for $1799, which doesnt seem that bad, if it had a remote i'd probally get that.

same panel with speakers. *shrug* i didn't see the L2335 in my local compusa (hell, i usually never go there anyway) but did see the Apple 23" panel.

cheers,

dave

Yeah, $1674 is kinda high, id buy from dave, or if you wanna spend that kind of money, get the f2304 from compusa. Dave, can you get the f2304, there $1799 at compusa. Speaking of compusa, when i went there today, they didnt have the l2335 but they had the f2304, so i checked it out to get an idea of how the l2335 looks in person. I must have been speaking to an idiot, which is why i hate retail stores. He put in swat dvd, shit looked sweet. Looked high def, although it was a regular dvd, i cant wait to throw on these Hi def 1080i and 720p movies ive been downloading lately :). But anyway he kept telling, the apple is better, " look, see that blur, like a ghosting affect", i was like no. So he took it out and put it in the apple, which was also sweet, and looked a little brighter from what i could see from the desktop. So he throws in swat, and tries to tell me how theres no blur and crap. They looked identical. I saw no ghosting in the hp.

I asked arent these the same panel? He said no, they're made by the same company but they're not the same panel. I asked arent the both 16ms. He says no, the hp is 25ms, they rate it differently than the apple, which is really 16ms. I was telling him how i thought about the apple, but since i want to use the lcd as a tv, monitor, console screen etc, the hp is better for me. He tells me the xbox wont look good on the screen, it isnt fast enough, and i could get the apple and plug my xbox into a capture card, WTF!!!!! Who the hell would plug a xbox to a capture card, to play it on there lcd? I saw no point in getting into a who knows more battle, of course he would think he did. So i just said, yeah, ok. And left. When i worked at best buy, i took pride in knowing i really knew what the hell i was talking about. Maybe they get more commission, if they get commission, on the apples crap.

sorry, don't have any F2304's in stock. I hear Costco sells 'em though..

btw, i'm allocating 4 L2335's tomorrow (out of 12 possible in Edison, NJ), (1 is for a monitor swap)...any interested parties, let me know...I can nail all 12... :)

cheers,

dave

Can the l2335 do what I want?

- play xbox games - via component ... 480i/p with black borders on sides & 720p (widescreen)
- play direct tv - via component cables from my direct tv box. play standard tv with black borders on the sides 4:3.

I don't want to stretch the image.

In answer to the question on PS2 & Xbox.

I have connected my xbox to the L2335 via a component cable. If you have a US Xbox just enable 480p, 720 & 1080 in the Xbox control panel, games will default to the highest available that they are able to do.

If you have a UK Xbox - MS disabled the HD support. You can enable it if you fit a mod chip. Component will still work you just won't get the high rez modes.

The monitor is great with the Xbox via component although games that don't support above 480 look a bit low rez on such a big high res screen where every little detail is noticable.

MY PROBLEM!!

I cannot set my resolution to 1600x900. Well thats not true actually. I CAN set it but the monitor display says (in the OSD) 1600x1200 no matter what I do. 1920x1200 works fine, 1600x1200 works fine but not 1600x900. The NV Control panel SAYS its working at 1600x900 but the monitor suggests not. Can anyone verify this? Is it an Nvidia issue or an HP issue? I've tried using powerstrip with the same results. I suspect that many people will have this issue but may not notice it because they set their L2335 to fill to screen... I don't...

I am using a 6800 XFX Ultra with DVI cable connected to the L2335.

One further note:
I spent an enormous amount of time reading this forum before finally purchasing this screen a couple of weeks ago. The first monitor I recieved had 200+ faulty sub pixels and scrapes on the base. The second has (currently) no faulty pixels. Note - both monitors had a manufacture date of March 2004.

Mini review for those of you still wondering whether to purchase or not:

I had a 21" Sony F500 CRT, great monitor on my main PC. I'm glad to say that the HP is a superb replacement. The ghosting/blurring is slight and you get used to it although bright lights over dark backgrounds make it more noticable. You do get some ground blurring when you scroll around in an RTS but not much. There is some black variation/clouding at the corners but its very minimal and only really noticable with black anyway.

I have used a number of TFT panels before (not on my main PC tho.!), the best being the 12ms BenQ 767-12 & 783 17" monitors both with the AuOptronics panel. The BenQ is very good as the 12ms response timing would suggest. The HP seems just as good as these despite it being slightly slower (16ms) and in addition, for whatever reason, text doesn't thicken up/blur when moving a window around as much on the HP!

All in all I'm very pleased I changed, thanks to all users for their posts!

Please help with the 1600x900 problem!!!!

Tried the monitor on another system with a 9800XT (Don't know why I didn't think of this before!). No setting for 1600x900 on the 9800 control panel, strange, so I made one with powerstrip. Display works fine @ 1600x900. Good news as far as I'm concerned - at least Nvidia can fix the driver or I can update the card BIOS!

My problem must be the Nvidia driver. I'll give powerstrip a go with my main system & see if I can force it somehow.

DragonRR said:
Tried the monitor on another system with a 9800XT (Don't know why I didn't think of this before!). No setting for 1600x900 on the 9800 control panel, strange, so I made one with powerstrip. Display works fine @ 1600x900. Good news as far as I'm concerned - at least Nvidia can fix the driver or I can update the card BIOS!

My problem must be the Nvidia driver. I'll give powerstrip a go with my main system & see if I can force it somehow.

I'm curious what do you use 1600X900 for? is it for a game or an application?

1600 x 900 is the resolution I would prefer to run the monitor at in games.

The native rez for the HP L2335 is 1920 x 1200. This is really too high a resolution for even a top end graphics card in most games. Doom 3, for example is optimal at say 1280x1024. 1280x1024 isn't much good because:
Its a 4:3 aspect ratio
Setting 1:1 on the HP - a 4:3 image on the display with black borders all round.
Fill to Aspect - a 4:3 image stretched vertically to 1200, 4:3 image with black borders left and right - Better but not perfect!
Fill to screen - a 16:9 image, fills whole screen but everything is squashed vertically/distorted. Nice to have all the screen filled but can't cope with the distortion!

So to fix this you need a 16:9 resolution that is about right to get a reasonable balance. 1600 x 900 is more or less an ideal compromise!

Hope that answers your question!

1280x1024 is a 5:4 resolution, 4:3 would bei 1280x960.
If the video card isn´t fast enough for 1920x1200, 1280x800 would also be a good idea - and it is a real 16:10 res. In most cases you will have to use Powerstrip and edit the config files of the game, but the nVidia drivers allow custom res. for example.
The 1280x800 res. becomes even more interesting when using it with the new Cinema HD 30" display which has a native res. of 2560x1600 (1280x800 is exactly 1/4, so interpolation should be nice).

Denis

Yes 1280x1024 is 5:4 as you say. Didn't really take the time to think about it! The card is fast enough (just about) to run 1600x1200 in most games even Doom3 runs OK at that res. Knocking it down to 1600x900 seems the near-perfect solution. In addition quite few games support 1600x900 but not 1280x800. Will be experimenting with power strip later.

I tried using the custom Nvidia resolution panel. Same problem. Anything, it appears, with 1600 at the beginning makes the vertical res 1200! The driver thinks its displaying 900 because everything gets stretched but it doesn't actually do it. I've tested 1280x too and anything vertical under 960 reverts to 960.. 1280x1024 works fine!

Its definitley the card or driver because as I mentioned before it works fine with an ATI....

Dave how many L2335's do you have in stock? And is the price still $1565?

darktiger said:
Dave how many L2335's do you have in stock? And is the price still $1565?

i've got 3 sitting in NJ looking for a home. There's 5 or so more that I don't have claim to. Dumped 3 already today...

I need to ship these today otherwise i lose allocation for the week.

Hit me up online: alisdavid (AOL), [email protected] (MSN Messenger) or call me
978.239.2489 (biz cell)

shipping cutoff for TODAY is 530pm EST. I can still take orders until 6pm for shipping tomorrow.

Cheers,

dave

Does anyone know where the l2335 can bee seen in person in NYC? The closest I've come is CompUSA on 5th ave which has the f2304. I checked it out today and it looked like total crap, oversaturated colors and obviously blurred text, but I think that was because it was hooked up via the vga input and not dvi. Everything I read about this panel makes it sound great, but I'd like to verify that in person before I plunk down major cash for one that can't be returned easily. Still leaning towards an apple display since I know they look absolutely stunning, (the non-defective ones at least), but if I can save some dough and get more features with an hp that would be cool. Thanks.

-z

zoltan77 said:
Does anyone know where the l2335 can bee seen in person in NYC? The closest I've come is CompUSA on 5th ave which has the f2304. I checked it out today and it looked like total crap, oversaturated colors and obviously blurred text, but I think that was because it was hooked up via the vga input and not dvi. Everything I read about this panel makes it sound great, but I'd like to verify that in person before I plunk down major cash for one that can't be returned easily. Still leaning towards an apple display since I know they look absolutely stunning, (the non-defective ones at least), but if I can save some dough and get more features with an hp that would be cool. Thanks.

-z

It was
A) Either Hooked up wrong
B) Totally fucked from everyone messing with the settings
C) Almost shot from being ran day/night consistantly
D) All of the above

I vote "D".

---MY PROBLEM!!

---I cannot set my resolution to 1600x900. Well thats not true actually. I CAN set it but the monitor display says (in the OSD) 1600x1200 no matter what I do. 1920x1200 works fine, 1600x1200 works fine but not 1600x900. The NV Control panel SAYS its working at 1600x900 but the monitor suggests not. Can anyone verify this? Is it an Nvidia issue or an HP issue? I've tried using powerstrip with the same results. I suspect that many people will have this issue but may not notice it because they set their L2335 to fill to screen... I don't...

I have had the same issue getting the hp l2235 to display odd resolutions. I have an Ati x800. I dont know if it would be the same but I have to use the monitor analog to dvi connection to do the odd res. Then it will show up on the monitor at a wrong resolution. Then I have to hit the auto adjust on the monitor itself. Some times it doesnt take. Mostly it will. But this only works in analog.
In dvi to dvi I have to set the video card to do the scaling,(with the monitor set .one to one.) I had to used powerstrip to make the res possible.

Krin, as I mentioned, with an Nvidia 6800, I tried 1280x800 too which jumps to 960 as well as 1600x900 which jumps to 1200.

I haven't done extensive testing with the ATI card, really I did a quick test to prove whether the monitor was at fault or the card. However I did get some weird results.
ATI: 1600x900, created with power strip worked perfectly, didn't try 1600x1000.
1280x1024, Very strange... the monitor showed a resolution of 1920x1200! The picture on screen showed a 1280x1024 1:1 box. Fiddling with the ATI control panel didn't help although I did manage to get the card to fill to screen. So at lower res the ATI seemed to want to take control. At higher res it seemed to find it acceptable to leave the control to the screen!

I now believe what the monitor says (I always used to with CRTs) not what the card says.

I saw that price drop. You can also add coupons to that price and make it lower....

well i got an extra 48$ or so back .... by purchasing thru shopping.com which gives 3% back on buy.com purchases

Well, add me to the list of defective HP 2335 dipslay's with the black strip. (Mine was dated April 2004). Howver the defect is higher on my screen than the others pictured.

What I discovered is that if I rotated the monitor 90 degrees, some of the black strip cleared up. Pressing or tapping lightly on the sides of the monitor case also decreased / increased the size of the strip pattern. However, there were still numerous fine lines of dead pixels and I will be returning this monitor!

Unfortuanately due to this bad experience I will likely not try another as this seems to be an inherent defect.

-Dave

dworley said:
Well, add me to the list of defective HP 2335 dipslay's with the black strip. (Mine was dated April 2004). Howver the defect is higher on my screen than the others pictured.

What I discovered is that if I rotated the monitor 90 degrees, some of the black strip cleared up. Pressing or tapping lightly on the sides of the monitor case also decreased / increased the size of the strip pattern. However, there were still numerous fine lines of dead pixels and I will be returning this monitor!

Unfortuanately due to this bad experience I will likely not try another as this seems to be an inherent defect.

-Dave

My L2335 doesnt have this as well as others

Just had the chance to spend a few minutes in Far Cry at 1920x1200 (I think that was the res) in the local microcenter. No ghosting, no flickering, tracing, etc. Absolutely stunning image quality. Naturally it had a 6800gt powering it via dvi but DAMN!

the 1700 US price tag gives it a WAF of almost zero.....double damn....

TheGameguru said:
My L2335 doesnt have this as well as others

Well I am glad yours does not have that problem. Mine did, and I am still waiting VERY PATIENTLY.... :mad: :( :mad: for my RMA to go through...

dizy said:
well i got an extra 48$ or so back .... by purchasing thru shopping.com which gives 3% back on buy.com purchases

ooops.. made a mistake... was actually 76.10 !

final price:

buy.com $1,494.99 + 27(s&h) = $1,522.09 - $76.10 (3%shopping.com rebate) = $1445.99

and purchased with amex blue doubles my warranty to 6 years ;)

Can't wait to get the monitor already

PS. Buy.com now has a 5% off coupon floating around.. but it maxes out at 25$ ... and unfortunately they now brought their price back up to 1,559.94+s&h

dizy said:
ooops.. made a mistake... was actually 76.10 !

final price:

buy.com $1,494.99 + 27(s&h) = $1,522.09 - $76.10 (3%shopping.com rebate) = $1445.99

and purchased with amex blue doubles my warranty to 6 years ;)

Can't wait to get the monitor already

PS. Buy.com now has a 5% off coupon floating around.. but it maxes out at 25$ ... and unfortunately they now brought their price back up to 1,559.94+s&h

well, i guess i'm still competitive, then. :)

i'll be offering a 5% discount towards the end of October. Stay tuned.

cheers,

dave

I'm seriously thinking about this HP for my Powerbook. I could stick with apple and spend another $400., but that seems stupid when the HP is the same actual screen and has all the extra connection options.

Would this LCD work good in this situation:
DVI connection hooked to PowerBook
VGA Connection hooked to KVM for PC and Windows servers

Sofasloth said:
I'm seriously thinking about this HP for my Powerbook. I could stick with apple and spend another $400., but that seems stupid when the HP is the same actual screen and has all the extra connection options.

Would this LCD work good in this situation:
DVI connection hooked to PowerBook
VGA Connection hooked to KVM for PC and Windows servers

yup, should work just fine.

cheers,

dave

Back